PTO instead of paid OT?

GOP seeks alternative to overtime pay

WASHINGTON (AP) — It seems like a simple proposition: give employees who work more than 40 hours a week the option of taking paid time off instead of overtime pay.

The choice already exists in the public sector. Federal and state workers can save earned time off and use it weeks or even months later to attend a parent-teacher conference, care for an elderly parent or deal with home repairs.

Republicans in Congress are pushing legislation that would extend that option to the private sector. They say that would bring more flexibility to the workplace and help workers better balance family and career.

Sounds like a great option to me. There's times when I don't need the extra money and times when I really NEED some time off. Being a divorced dad, I miss out on a lot so I think this is a great idea.

You?

If it's an hour and a half of PTO for over hour of OT, then I'm okay with it. If it's hour for hour match, then forget it. Bosses need to get their tightwad checkbooks out and start paying for their labor.

No, its not time and a half, its an hour for an hour

It is an incentive for employers to pressure their employees to take PTO instead of OT

If it is compensation for hourly workers, then 12 hours comp for 8 hours of overtime.

Now who is being greedy?
If your idea is mandated, guess what happens to overtime for most people? GONE!
How is that greedy? Thanks for stopping buy and showing us what the real intent of the GOP is: to screw employees.

If the work is over time and comp is the reward then it is 1.5 comp for the hour worked.

WASHINGTON (AP) — It seems like a simple proposition: give employees who work more than 40 hours a week the option of taking paid time off instead of overtime pay.

The choice already exists in the public sector. Federal and state workers can save earned time off and use it weeks or even months later to attend a parent-teacher conference, care for an elderly parent or deal with home repairs.

Republicans in Congress are pushing legislation that would extend that option to the private sector. They say that would bring more flexibility to the workplace and help workers better balance family and career.

Sounds like a great option to me. There's times when I don't need the extra money and times when I really NEED some time off. Being a divorced dad, I miss out on a lot so I think this is a great idea.

You?

If it's an hour and a half of PTO for over hour of OT, then I'm okay with it. If it's hour for hour match, then forget it. Bosses need to get their tightwad checkbooks out and start paying for their labor.

No, its not time and a half, its an hour for an hour

It is an incentive for employers to pressure their employees to take PTO instead of OT

No.. you give too much credit to companies being able to 'force'

As stated.. time off, if you only get a small amount during the year' is a valuable commodity... and I know I would seriously contemplate forgoing OT for more of it, personally, if I were in that situation... I would already be budgeted for what I am making without OT. Going from 1 or 2 weeks off to 3 or 4 weeks off would be a HUGE bonus for a family orientated person

Two hours of OT per week for forty weeks would equal three vacation weeks annually.

You?

Yeah no shit. People depend on OT pay.

You?

That is like people depending on 'bonuses'... it is fucking STUPID... the ONLY thing you can 'count' on is the base that you are guaranteed if you live up to the employment agreement.. anything above and beyond that is dependent on many factors out of your control

That is like people depending on 'bonuses'... it is fucking STUPID... the ONLY thing you can 'count' on is the base that you are guaranteed if you live up to the employment agreement.. anything above and beyond that is dependent on many factors out of your control

Wrong. Lots of jobs involve OT as a regular part of the job, from petrochemical plant shift workers to convenience store cashiers. Hey try working a 40 hour week on a tug boat, see how that works out for ya. You're a fucking idiot.

Last edited:

Wrong. Lots of jobs involve OT as a regular part of the job, from petrochemical plant shift workers to convenience store cashiers. Hey try working a 40 hour week on a tug boat, see how that works out for ya. You're a fucking idiot.

Wrong.. unless it is specifically written in the contract of employment and compensation, you cannot count on it.. no matter what an employer 'says'... business can drop, etc and the employers need to have you work OT can change..

You sir, are the idiot

Wrong.. unless it is specifically written in the contract of employment and compensation, you cannot count on it.. no matter what an employer 'says'... business can drop, etc and the employers need to have you work OT can change..

You sir, are the idiot

OK. What's your point? Is it that people who depend on OT pay to make a living don't really depend on it? I'm failing to see what your getting at.

You sir, are the idiot

OK. What's your point? Is it that people who depend on OT pay to make a living don't really depend on it? I'm failing to see what your getting at.
Heck, if you have to depend on having a job to make a living you've already failed at life! ;)

You sir, are the idiot

The point is you saying people 'depend' on it... and I said it is stupid because it is not guaranteed... it would be stupid to budget your life that way and then bitch when the business eliminates or cuts back OT...

So your argument against an option/choice of 1.5 in OT pay or 1 for 1 in additional time off makes zero sense since OT not written into the contract is not guaranteed anyway

You sir, are the idiot

The point is you saying people 'depend' on it... and I said it is stupid because it is not guaranteed...
So people who work OT to pay their bills are stupid.

Got it.

And you righties wonder why you can't win the White House.

it would be stupid to budget your life that way and then bitch when the business eliminates or cuts back OT...
Live your life what way exactly? The way of having a roof over your head and food to eat?

Last edited:
Seeing how this is being pushed by the GOP, you KNOW it will be bad for the average American worker. Period.

It will evolve into a means for employers to force employees to take PTO instead of having to pay OT

"We are considering layoffs in the next few months....those who have been taking PTO instead of OT will be given additional consideration"

Last edited:

You sir, are the idiot

The point is you saying people 'depend' on it... and I said it is stupid because it is not guaranteed... it would be stupid to budget your life that way and then bitch when the business eliminates or cuts back OT...

So your argument against an option/choice of 1.5 in OT pay or 1 for 1 in additional time off makes zero sense since OT not written into the contract is not guaranteed anyway

Nonsequitur, DD. OT is whatever it is: 1.5 or 2.0 or 3.0 (Christmas, e.g.) and that translates into 1. 5 or 2. or 3.0 or whatever. The value of that block of time in its particualar setting determines the time amount of compensation.

Wrong.. unless it is specifically written in the contract of employment...

LOL! "Contract of employment" Any wage job in any so called "right to work" states will have a "contract" of employment which stipulates the employer may terminate the contract at any time they wish. You can't even "count" on 40 hours a week. On the other hand, most union contracts will stipulate precisely the kinds of hours workers will work - be it to ensure overtime pay or to ensure a 40 hour week.

It will evolve into a means for employers to force employees to take PTO instead of having to pay OT

"We are considering layoffs in the next few months....those who have been taking PTO instead of OT will be given additional consideration"

Also, people haven't even been taking their vacations for fear that they will lose their jobs if they are seen as "not vital". I used to work for a company that wouldn't let me take off more than 2 days in a row and laid a heavy guilt trip if I even tried to take that two days off. Employers will just say "no, I need you during that time, you can't take that time off."

Also, people haven't even been taking their vacations for fear that they will lose their jobs if they are seen as "not vital". I used to work for a company that wouldn't let me take off more than 2 days in a row and laid a heavy guilt trip if I even tried to take that two days off. Employers will just say "no, I need you during that time, you can't take that time off."

Right now, employers are required by law to pay time and a half for hours worked over 40 hours. There is no workaround for either the employee or employer...it must be paid

Now, what would prevent an employer from firing someone who elects to be paid OT?

Forum List

Back