PTO instead of paid OT?

GOP seeks alternative to overtime pay

WASHINGTON (AP) — It seems like a simple proposition: give employees who work more than 40 hours a week the option of taking paid time off instead of overtime pay.

The choice already exists in the public sector. Federal and state workers can save earned time off and use it weeks or even months later to attend a parent-teacher conference, care for an elderly parent or deal with home repairs.

Republicans in Congress are pushing legislation that would extend that option to the private sector. They say that would bring more flexibility to the workplace and help workers better balance family and career.

Sounds like a great option to me. There's times when I don't need the extra money and times when I really NEED some time off. Being a divorced dad, I miss out on a lot so I think this is a great idea.

You?

As long as they get a cash pay out of any unused leave at the end of the fiscal year, as with public sector employees. Private sector workers could get an unused balance pay out at the end of the FFY.

Are they proposing to give 1.5 hours time off for 1 hour OT worked? If not, the benefit goes to the employer.

If the plan is to simulate what is already available to public sector employees it would be at a 1.5 rate.

However the article does say that there is a change proposed to the current system which does not exist under the current law (United States Code, Title 29, Chapter 8) and that is that the employee would have to option of cashing out accumulated Comp Time.

(The article also says it caps Comp Time at 160 hours).

>>>>
That was a little hard to understand, so please tell me: are they proposing giving hour for hour comp time in lieu of paid @ 1.5 OT?

Haven't read the proposal. I'm only familiar with what the current FLSA law is and what the article says. It says the GOP is looking to expand the Comp Time option to the private sector, since it is currently 1.5 hours per hour of overtime, then logic dictates that the same rate that applies to the public sector would apply to the private sector.

Currently it is illegal for private employers to use Comp Time instead of paying overtime as part of regular wages.

>>>>

WASHINGTON (AP) — It seems like a simple proposition: give employees who work more than 40 hours a week the option of taking paid time off instead of overtime pay.

The choice already exists in the public sector. Federal and state workers can save earned time off and use it weeks or even months later to attend a parent-teacher conference, care for an elderly parent or deal with home repairs.

Republicans in Congress are pushing legislation that would extend that option to the private sector. They say that would bring more flexibility to the workplace and help workers better balance family and career.

Sounds like a great option to me. There's times when I don't need the extra money and times when I really NEED some time off. Being a divorced dad, I miss out on a lot so I think this is a great idea.

You?

My friend across the street works for a large telco( Not AT&T) he has the option of overtime or comp time. He chooses the time and a half.
I think it should be a choice.
FOr me, comp time would be better. The reason is the overtime tax liability increases dramatically making it almost not worth the effort.

Sounds like your employer is breaking the law. If you are in an non-exempt job and working over 40 hours per week they have to pay overtime and comp time is not a legal option - if of course they are private sector. If public sector, they are still required to provide Comp Time at the rate of 1.5 hours.

>>>>

Nope, we are private, and I may have it wrong. I just know its an option I like.

Not sure of the details, but avoiding paying OT by jimmying the system in the private sector is a big fat no-no.

It doesn't allow a company to avoid paying OT, it allow a company to manage hours and control costs. An employee is still paid for the OT worked, whether through direct compensation or through additional time off. If the employer doesn't allow the person to take the Comp Time, they still have to pay the EE for the time. If the EE takes the time off, they are still paid for that time.

>>>>

You?

If it's an hour and a half of PTO for over hour of OT, then I'm okay with it. If it's hour for hour match, then forget it. Bosses need to get their tightwad checkbooks out and start paying for their labor.

So you would rather have nearly HALF of your OT pay deducted rather than be compensated one day PAID time off for every 8 hours OT?....At the normal tax rate?
So let's say for example your regular wage is $20 per hour, OT is $30.. You work 8 hrs OT...That's $240 gross. Your net will be somewhere around $140 depending on your state tax rate if applicable.
So you get to work 8 hours for $140....Big deal.. You'd rather not have the time off at regular pay? Taxed at a lower rate?.

You?

sounds good to me I could take 3 month vacations. but who would fix the machines when I am gone? only maintenance guy at this small factory.

This is why small employers would have to be exempt.

You?

If it's an hour and a half of PTO for over hour of OT, then I'm okay with it. If it's hour for hour match, then forget it. Bosses need to get their tightwad checkbooks out and start paying for their labor.

So you would rather have nearly HALF of your OT pay deducted rather than be compensated one day PAID time off for every 8 hours OT?....At the normal tax rate?
So let's say for example your regular wage is $20 per hour, OT is $30.. You work 8 hrs OT...That's $240 gross. Your net will be somewhere around $140 depending on your state tax rate if applicable.
So you get to work 8 hours for $140....Big deal.. You'd rather not have the time off at regular pay? Taxed at a lower rate?.

If it is compensation for hourly workers, then 12 hours comp for 8 hours of overtime.

I think we should reduce the work week to 35 hours, and make it mandatory that all employees receive six weeks vacation time on top of five sick days per year. All salaried employees should receive comp time for anything over 35 hours. Last of all, everyone's pay should be doubled.

This ought to get someone riled, lol.

You?

sounds good to me I could take 3 month vacations. but who would fix the machines when I am gone? only maintenance guy at this small factory.

This is why small employers would have to be exempt.

Comp Time wouldn't be a requirement, it would be an option that the private sector would have just like public sector and they could apply it differently to different jobs.

>>>>

anyways the point I was trying to make flew right over your head. If legally I could save up comp time and use it would hurt the small companys in the U.S. because they hired me to do a job and need my skills and not farting off some where for weeks.

Maybe.

It could be limited to businesses with more than 50 employees, and to your point, probably should.

But there is nothing wrong with the concept that employees are not thrall and corporations/ employers are not tin gods.

My corporation, a Fortune 100 annually rated among the best run corporations on earth, has ZERO comp time policy. The meek salaried employee is expected to work 45 hrs minimum and 50 when needed. It tickles the hell out of me seeing boy wonders across my desk too chickenshit to ask for the time. Not that I'd give it to some of them, but I do give it to some mediocre women (better than listening to bullshit sob stories) and all top producers.

And thats why I wouldnt work for your company. I work for fun and want to do it. You try to force your dumb ass rules on me do it yourself and take this job and shove it, I have done it soooooooooo many times in my life.

Entitlement mentality.

I think we should reduce the work week to 35 hours, and make it mandatory that all employees receive six weeks vacation time on top of five sick days per year. All salaried employees should receive comp time for anything over 35 hours. Last of all, everyone's pay should be doubled.

This ought to get someone riled, lol.

Oh sure. I have an idea for you..Move to France or Germany.

If it is compensation for hourly workers, then 12 hours comp for 8 hours of overtime.

Now who is being greedy?
If your idea is mandated, guess what happens to overtime for most people? GONE!

Are they proposing to give 1.5 hours time off for 1 hour OT worked? If not, the benefit goes to the employer.

As stated earlier.. this is not inherently so... Many jobs have only 1 to 2 weeks off per year.. extra time off is worth a lot to those who do not get much.. and I can see where a week of working over (when you were not expecting to have an off day anyway) turning into an extra week of vacation to take completely off has its benefits...

And as stated.. that is between the employer and the employee...

Maybe.

It could be limited to businesses with more than 50 employees, and to your point, probably should.

But there is nothing wrong with the concept that employees are not thrall and corporations/ employers are not tin gods.

My corporation, a Fortune 100 annually rated among the best run corporations on earth, has ZERO comp time policy. The meek salaried employee is expected to work 45 hrs minimum and 50 when needed. It tickles the hell out of me seeing boy wonders across my desk too chickenshit to ask for the time. Not that I'd give it to some of them, but I do give it to some mediocre women (better than listening to bullshit sob stories) and all top producers.

And thats why I wouldnt work for your company. I work for fun and want to do it. You try to force your dumb ass rules on me do it yourself and take this job and shove it, I have done it soooooooooo many times in my life.

Entitlement mentality.

Free enterprise.

As long as it is the employee's choice.

Agreed, pretty cut and dry, not? If it's negotiated between employer and employee I don't think anyone would object to the terms, regardless of what they are... Or not?

As an employer I don't see why I couldn't do this now, what is the need for legislation exactly? :confused:

You?

Choice? When I worked for the DoD there was no choice, it was all comp time. No OT. They paid me out the balance when my job ended, though.

Now who is being greedy?
If your idea is mandated, guess what happens to overtime for most people? GONE!
How is that greedy? Thanks for stopping buy and showing us what the real intent of the GOP is: to screw employees.

You?

IF the choice is the employees, then fine.

If the choice between accruing days off or overtime is the employers?

Bad idea.

Often overtime is mandatory to keeping your job.

Forum List

Back