PTO instead of paid OT?

When I worked for a paycheck and wasn't self employed I was always on salary. I got paid the same whether I worked 60 hours a week or 30 hours a week. I could only take over time as time off.

When I worked for a paycheck and wasn't self employed I was always on salary. I got paid the same whether I worked 60 hours a week or 30 hours a week. I could only take over time as time off.

When OT was first put into the law decades ago it was more clear cut who which jobs it should apply to. The economy has changed and the nature of people's work is different.

Right now, employers are required by law to pay time and a half for hours worked over 40 hours. There is no workaround for either the employee or employer...it must be paid

Now, what would prevent an employer from firing someone who elects to be paid OT?

I was a salaried employee. They used to make all the hourly paid production people go home and then they would work the rest of us sometimes until one in the morning mocking up presentation boards... I was the logistics manager, and that was not even close to my job. Awful company to work for... based their employment practices on our Chinese factory's slave labor.

Last edited:
GOP seeks alternative to overtime pay

WASHINGTON (AP) — It seems like a simple proposition: give employees who work more than 40 hours a week the option of taking paid time off instead of overtime pay.

The choice already exists in the public sector. Federal and state workers can save earned time off and use it weeks or even months later to attend a parent-teacher conference, care for an elderly parent or deal with home repairs.

Republicans in Congress are pushing legislation that would extend that option to the private sector. They say that would bring more flexibility to the workplace and help workers better balance family and career.

Sounds like a great option to me. There's times when I don't need the extra money and times when I really NEED some time off. Being a divorced dad, I miss out on a lot so I think this is a great idea.

You?

This has been floated before. The problem is the discretion is totally with the employer, meaning that if you chose to do this, THEY CHOSE WHEN YOU CAN TAKE OFF.

That's entirely unacceptable.

It will evolve into a means for employers to force employees to take PTO instead of having to pay OT

"We are considering layoffs in the next few months....those who have been taking PTO instead of OT will be given additional consideration"

Also, people haven't even been taking their vacations for fear that they will lose their jobs if they are seen as "not vital". I used to work for a company that wouldn't let me take off more than 2 days in a row and laid a heavy guilt trip if I even tried to take that two days off. Employers will just say "no, I need you during that time, you can't take that time off."

Right now, employers are required by law to pay time and a half for hours worked over 40 hours. There is no workaround for either the employee or employer...it must be paid

Now, what would prevent an employer from firing someone who elects to be paid OT?

There are plenty of "workarounds". They include something called "firing".

:doubt:

Wrong.. unless it is specifically written in the contract of employment...

LOL! "Contract of employment" Any wage job in any so called "right to work" states will have a "contract" of employment which stipulates the employer may terminate the contract at any time they wish. You can't even "count" on 40 hours a week. On the other hand, most union contracts will stipulate precisely the kinds of hours workers will work - be it to ensure overtime pay or to ensure a 40 hour week.

Most union contracts will protect you no matter how little you do... but that is beyond the point

Right to work generally means you are not FORCED to join a union as a condition of employment...

If something is not written guaranteed into your employment contract, it is not going to be guaranteed... pretty simple concept.. that includes OT, bonus, etc... if it is based on company performance, workload, etc THAT CAN AND DOES CHANGE...

None of this takes away from this would be a choice between employer and employee.... I am not for enforcing the employee to take comp time, but I am also not for forcing the employer to offer more than a 1 for 1 extra hours worked for extra time off... as stated, the extra time off (especially when you are not contracted a large amount of time off) has a benefit and value into itself...

I would gladly work double hours for a week to obtain an extra week off for vacation, or banked in case I am sick before I would have to use short term disability etc

Right to work generally means you are not FORCED to join a union as a condition of employment...

No one is forced to join a union.

If something is not written guaranteed into your employment contract, it is not going to be guaranteed... pretty simple concept.. that includes OT, bonus, etc... if it is based on company performance, workload, etc THAT CAN AND DOES CHANGE...
Therefore - people who pay their bills with OT pay are, according to you - "stupid"

If the employer believes that he should have, "to offer more than a 1 for 1 extra hours worked for extra time off" then employee smiles sweetly and says, "nope".

Therefore - people who pay their bills with OT pay are, according to you - "stupid"

Yes.. to obtain certain positions, you must join a union... you try getting into a GM shop as a welder or auto worker.. you are REQUIRED to join the union.. not because the company wants it, not because you want it, because the union mandates it

People who live beyond their means and are reliant on OT (non-guaranteed wage) are indeed stupid.. if you are working OT to get ahead on bills, more power to you.. having a comp-time option does not hinder that at all

Yes.. to obtain certain positions, you must join a union...

To obtain certain positions, you must cut your hair. Doesn't you're "forced" to cut your hair.

People who live beyond their means and are reliant on OT (non-guaranteed wage) are indeed stupid.. if you are working OT to get ahead on bills, more power to you.. having a comp-time option does not hinder that at all
It appears you've refined your position.

What did you think I meant by "depend" on OT pay? Depend on it to fund a heroin habit? Or depend on it to pay your bills? Fuck you're an idiot.

Last edited:
When an employee fucks off during the workday thinking they can make money by working over time to complete what they should have been able to complete during the work day it is time to fire them for wanting to be paid overtime.

I know for Hubby he would rather the overtime pay.. When he gets days off he doesnt get his shift money for working overnights.........

Bullshit. I know in teachers unions if you dont join you still have to pay DUES!! So you are FORCED to join!!!

Bullshit. I know in teachers unions if you dont join you still have to pay DUES!! So you are FORCED to join!!!

No you aren't. You're free to seek employment elsewhere.

No you aren't. You're free to seek employment elsewhere.

So if the employer then requires you to join and donate to his charity or club, you are ok with that.. because you can find work elsewhere??

I think we know the answer to that.. because then it is the 'evil owner'... but it is all OK when it is the union dictating it :rolleyes:

here is the language from the Bill if it hasn't already been posted -
‘‘(B) in the case of employees who are not
4 represented by a labor organization that has
5 been certified or recognized as the representative
6 of such employees under applicable law, an
7 agreement arrived at between the employer and
8 employee before the performance of the work and
9 affirmed by a written or otherwise verifiable
10 record maintained in accordance with section
11 11(c)—
12 ‘‘(i) in which the employer has offered
13 and the employee has chosen to receive com
14 pensatory time in lieu of monetary overtime
15 compensation; and
16 ‘‘(ii) entered into knowingly and vol
17 untarily by such employees and not as a
18 condition of employment.

When an employee fucks off during the workday thinking they can make money by working over time to complete what they should have been able to complete during the work day it is time to fire them for wanting to be paid overtime.

WTF.....:cuckoo:

Last edited:
GOP seeks alternative to overtime pay

WASHINGTON (AP) — It seems like a simple proposition: give employees who work more than 40 hours a week the option of taking paid time off instead of overtime pay.

The choice already exists in the public sector. Federal and state workers can save earned time off and use it weeks or even months later to attend a parent-teacher conference, care for an elderly parent or deal with home repairs.

Republicans in Congress are pushing legislation that would extend that option to the private sector. They say that would bring more flexibility to the workplace and help workers better balance family and career.

Sounds like a great option to me. There's times when I don't need the extra money and times when I really NEED some time off. Being a divorced dad, I miss out on a lot so I think this is a great idea.

You?

If it's an hour and a half of PTO for over hour of OT, then I'm okay with it. If it's hour for hour match, then forget it. Bosses need to get their tightwad checkbooks out and start paying for their labor.

No, its not time and a half, its an hour for an hour

It is an incentive for employers to pressure their employees to take PTO instead of OT
You people are uninformed.
Just as the employee must pay payroll taxes, income taxes and other deductions, so must the employer.
The PTO is a MUCH better option because each party pays LESS to those greedy bastards in the respective state capitols and in Washington.
Who would not want to get a full day off with pay for each 8 hrs of OT. I sure as hell would. What's better, there is an option to bank a certain number of days. I am all over that.

Forum List

Back