Reality sets in for Oregon governor

That damn reality slaps the left in the face every time.

Oregon Governor Abandons $15+ Minimum Wage

Facing a barrage of criticism from business, and labor skepticism over threats of higher unemployment, Oregon Governor Kate Brown is scaling back her $15.52 minimum wage proposal.

A November report by the Manhattan Institute, “Counterproductive: The Employment and Income Effects of Raising America’s Minimum Wage to $12 and to $15 per Hour,” concludes that raising minimum wages is likely to result in adverse consequences that would lower total national income levels.

“The earnings gained for those who would keep their jobs would be outweighed by the earnings lost by those who would become jobless,” the report detailed. “As a result, the net income gains tend to be smaller or more negative when using the annual earnings approach than when using the wage approach.”

Facing concerns from the right and the left that her minimum wage proposal was an obvious job killer in Oregon, Gov. Brown blinked on January 28 and has scaled back her proposal to only a $.50 raise per hour statewide July increase, from $9.25 to $9.75-per-hour. The Portland metro area would see an increase in July 2017 to $11.25 an hour, with the rest of the state’s minimum wages rising to $10.25 an hour.

Oregon Governor Abandons $15+ Minimum Wage - Breitbart

She came down $1.02. That's abandonment all right.

Breitbart is lying, and you suckers suck it up.

Gov. Kate Brown scales back her minimum wage proposal | Local | Eugene, Oregon
The Register Guard - Eugene, OR

""".............
The proposal tops out at $14.50 an hour for the Portland metro area and $13.25 an hour for the rest of the state in mid-2022, down from $15.52 an hour and $13.50 an hour, respectively, in Brown’s first proposal.""""

Truth and facts are irrelevant to these idiots. One of the nitwits creates the post, and the rest of the herd just runs with it.

Anybody who doesn't dig beneath Breitbart's headlines is an idiot. They put the ass in bias.

I'm all for raising the minimum wage. It's ripple effect helps the middle class according to everyone from Brookings Institute to the Cato Institute. And that group needs a pay raise desperately after over 35 years of flat wage growth. The working class knows this, thus the over 70% support for raising the minimum wage.
However, $15 is way too large of a jump. I would expect any employer would have a very rough time adjusting their budgeting. That kind of jump would definitely cause inflation and unemployment.
Factual history shows that raising the minimum wage gradually has had a minimal effect on inflation, unemployment and has no ill effects on the economy. It does have a positive effect, as it increases consumer spending, which is good for businesses.

People in this thread are calling for all government assistance to the poor to end. People dying in the streets is what happens in such places.

Yep. Remember all of those people dying in the streets in 1960?

Which people specifically? San Francisco was a fantastic city in 1960. Now, this is happening:

TECH BOOM FORCES A RUTHLESS GENTRIFICATION IN SAN FRANCISCO
http://www.newsweek.com/2014/04/25/...less-gentrification-san-francisco-248135.html

People who have lived their all their lives are being pushed out, forcibly, by Silicon Valley.

I'm all for raising the minimum wage. It's ripple effect helps the middle class according to everyone from Brookings Institute to the Cato Institute. And that group needs a pay raise desperately after over 35 years of flat wage growth. The working class knows this, thus the over 70% support for raising the minimum wage.
However, $15 is way too large of a jump. I would expect any employer would have a very rough time adjusting their budgeting. That kind of jump would definitely cause inflation and unemployment.
Factual history shows that raising the minimum wage gradually has had a minimal effect on inflation, unemployment and has no ill effects on the economy. It does have a positive effect, as it increases consumer spending, which is good for businesses.

What do righties think minimum wage earners will do with this extra cash? Put it in savings? Play the stock market? Gamble? They will put it back into the economy by buying goods and services.

People in this thread are calling for all government assistance to the poor to end. People dying in the streets is what happens in such places.

Which people specifically? San Francisco was a fantastic city in 1960.

Exactly my point.

Now, this is happening:
http://www.newsweek.com/2014/04/25/...less-gentrification-san-francisco-248135.html

People who have lived their all their lives are being pushed out, forcibly, by Silicon Valley.

So ask yourself why those ultra liberals who care so much for the poor and middle class are forcing them out of their homes

What do righties think minimum wage earners will do with this extra cash? Put it in savings? Play the stock market? Gamble? They will put it back into the economy by buying goods and services.

Not when less of them are working as a result.

Which people specifically? San Francisco was a fantastic city in 1960.

Exactly my point.

Now, this is happening:

So ask yourself why those ultra liberals who care so much for the poor and middle class are forcing them out of their homes

Who said Silicon Valley was liberal? Even women are still having a problem there. Lots of big pockets of Republicans in California.

Screen-Shot-2014-02-12-at-10.29.50-AM.png

Not when less of them are working as a result.

That is conjecture and remains to be seen. Most min wage earners are still stuck at $7.25/hr. Let's not forget that Walmart puts out donation bins for their employees every holiday and many of them are on SNAP cards and welfare. Who pays for that?

Burger flippers unite!!!

• $50,000 per year
  • Company car
  • Gas card
  • Free meals
  • Hookers
  • Free insurance
  • 200 days vacation
  • 165 sick days
  • Clothing allowance

:lmao:

Your tell that you've lost the argument.

No, not really.. like I asked before, why not be really fair and mandate a $50k minimum wage?

Why not bring back slavery?

Slaves were unpaid..... hence the slave thingy.

Burger flippers unite!!!

• $50,000 per year
  • Company car
  • Gas card
  • Free meals
  • Hookers
  • Free insurance
  • 200 days vacation
  • 165 sick days
  • Clothing allowance

No, not really.. like I asked before, why not be really fair and mandate a $50k minimum wage?

This is not a meme. This is actually what Rock said, and he sorta' leans right....

Minimum_wage_chris_rock.jpg

Burger flippers unite!!!

• $50,000 per year
  • Company car
  • Gas card
  • Free meals
  • Hookers
  • Free insurance
  • 200 days vacation
  • 165 sick days
  • Clothing allowance

This is not a meme. This is actually what Rock said, and he sorta' leans right....

It also means you obviously aren't worth much as an employee. But seriously, how much does it take to push a button that lowers a basket into a fryer?

The only other action is to reduce the cost of living by operations controlled by rich folks..
Moonglow, your suggestion should go without saying, but it would take someone a lot smarter than me to come up with a solution. The obvious counter option to raising wages is dropping costs. However that involves decisions from private businesses, and the record of large corporations is not loyalty to employees. As a retiree living on SS and a small pension, I can make a long list of items that increase yearly while my income remains static by act of Congress. Healthcare COB and meds goes up every year, home and auto insurances, foods, vet care for pets, utilities..the list is endless and it is like getting nicked to death. BTW, have you seen the lists of meds NOT covered, or in a barely covered tier? To work more than one job just to keep a head above water, raise a family, without hope of the kids higher education is the seed of rebellion. That's what bred the dreaded Unions. OTOH, Mom & Pop aren't rolling in dough either. Nor is it fair to ask them to impoverish themselves. Government has excluded employers of under x many employees, which is a break. So what's the answer?
==============

Yes, we retired people have been taking it in the shorts. The government calculates inflation based on gasoline price only it seems but that only when they can use it to justify not increasing Social Security.

I've been retired for 20 years today and when I first retired we would go to dinner at a local steakhouse chain and dinner for two would run me approx $35 now it is $83 but I am actually getting $3,000 less each year clear to live on because of increases in health insurance. My pension from the union has a deduction for my union health insurance which is now my secondary to Medicare. Both Medicare and my secondary insurance costs have continued to go up up up up through the years while pensions all increased little to none.

Which results in an actual loss of $3000 / year compared to when I retired not to mention that the price of everything else has gone up as well. Health insurance has cut my income but inflation in other things has increased my outgo.

I retired very comfortable but now I can see that it won't be long before I might have to become a Wal-Mart greeter someday. Welll, probably not but it could happen if inflation isn't stopped or some massive increases in Social Security.

Burger flippers unite!!!

• $50,000 per year
  • Company car
  • Gas card
  • Free meals
  • Hookers
  • Free insurance
  • 200 days vacation
  • 165 sick days
  • Clothing allowance

Why should be against the law to pay someone less? Doesn't the employee always have the option of looking for better paying work?
Libs think gov't is there to take care of them because people are too stupid to take care of themselves.

The only other action is to reduce the cost of living by operations controlled by rich folks..
Moonglow, your suggestion should go without saying, but it would take someone a lot smarter than me to come up with a solution. The obvious counter option to raising wages is dropping costs. However that involves decisions from private businesses, and the record of large corporations is not loyalty to employees. As a retiree living on SS and a small pension, I can make a long list of items that increase yearly while my income remains static by act of Congress. Healthcare COB and meds goes up every year, home and auto insurances, foods, vet care for pets, utilities..the list is endless and it is like getting nicked to death. BTW, have you seen the lists of meds NOT covered, or in a barely covered tier? To work more than one job just to keep a head above water, raise a family, without hope of the kids higher education is the seed of rebellion. That's what bred the dreaded Unions. OTOH, Mom & Pop aren't rolling in dough either. Nor is it fair to ask them to impoverish themselves. Government has excluded employers of under x many employees, which is a break. So what's the answer?
==============

Yes, we retired people have been taking it in the shorts. The government calculates inflation based on gasoline price only it seems but that only when they can use it to justify not increasing Social Security.

I've been retired for 20 years today and when I first retired we would go to dinner at a local steakhouse chain and dinner for two would run me approx $35 now it is $83 but I am actually getting $3,000 less each year clear to live on because of increases in health insurance. My pension from the union has a deduction for my union health insurance which is now my secondary to Medicare. Both Medicare and my secondary insurance costs have continued to go up up up up through the years while pensions all increased little to none.

Which results in an actual loss of $3000 / year compared to when I retired not to mention that the price of everything else has gone up as well. Health insurance has cut my income but inflation in other things has increased my outgo.

I retired very comfortable but now I can see that it won't be long before I might have to become a Wal-Mart greeter someday. Welll, probably not but it could happen if inflation isn't stopped or some massive increases in Social Security.
Where retired people have been raped the hardest is at the Fed. By bailing out the zombie banks with ZIRP, they have committed mass robbery of savers.

When Bush cut trillions in taxes, that revenue was gone. When Republicans helped move millions of jobs to China and close tens of thousands of factories, that revenue was gone.

With those factory closings, the means to that revenue stream is gone. You can't start it up again. You can only rebuild. Republicans will never let that happen. When they talk economics, it's always about taxes. It's all they know. And we've seen where that path leads.

When Bush cut trillions in taxes, that revenue was gone. When Republicans helped move millions of jobs to China and close tens of thousands of factories, that revenue was gone.

With those factory closings, the means to that revenue stream is gone. You can't start it up again. You can only rebuild. Republicans will never let that happen. When they talk economics, it's always about taxes. It's all they know. And we've seen where that path leads.

We get it.. all things bad, REPUBLICANS! All things good, DEMOCRATS!!!!

It also means you obviously aren't worth much as an employee. But seriously, how much does it take to push a button that lowers a basket into a fryer?

No, that's not what it means. It's human nature to be greedy.

The Waltons, whose collective worth amongst 4 people is now $135,000,000,000, have finally decided to raise wages because their turnover has become too expensive for them:

One Reason Wal-Mart Is Raising Pay: Turnover

One Reason Wal-Mart Is Raising Pay: Turnover

Forum List

Back