Religious Freedom Reestablished!

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Those who respect the Constitution understand the meaning of the Free Exercise Clause, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.."
Governor Perry of Texas certainly does...

1. "Texas Gov. Rick Perry signs ‘Merry Christmas bill’ into law

2.Schools will now be able to display religious symbols as long as at least one secular or other religion’s symbol is also displayed.

3. ....allows schools to display religious symbols such as nativity scenes and Christmas trees ...

4. In addition, the new law allows staff members and students at the state’s public schools to exchange traditional holiday greetings, such as “Merry Christmas,” “Happy Hanukkah” and “happy holidays” without fear of reprisal.

5. ....I'm proud that we're standing up for religious freedom in this state,” Perry said at a “Religious freedom does not mean freedom from religion.”

6. “We will be monitoring this very closely,” Tom Hargins, director of communications for the ACLU of Texas, told the Daily News.

7. In May, a Texas judge ruled that the cheerleaders could continue to display signs at football games emblazoned with Bible verses.

8. Perry cited the case as “an example of the pressure on our public schools in particular to push down any reflections of religious thought or words,”..."
Texas Gov. Rick Perry signs ?Merry Christmas bill? into law - NY Daily News

Can I get an "Amen"!!!

As long as religion exists, there won't be freedom in this world. All religion, cities, governments and their laws came from the "beast", which is God's plan to deceive His people while teaching them to build His created things that He needed to explain His invisible Kingdom. Only the saints understand this.

As long as religion exists, there won't be freedom in this world. All religion, cities, governments and their laws came from the "beast", which is God's plan to deceive His people while teaching them to build His created things that He needed to explain His invisible Kingdom. Only the saints understand this.

So very appreciative of your climbing down from the tree to explain that.

You may return to your nest.

The "beast" won't allow most people to understand the things of this world. It's easy to see what influences your mind.

The "beast" won't allow most people to understand the things of this world. It's easy to see what influences your mind.

Oh.....I got it now!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alvrgB4-XR0]FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHT (dance cover of Beastie Boys) - YouTube[/ame]

Those who respect the Constitution understand the meaning of the Free Exercise Clause, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.."

2.Schools will now be able to display religious symbols as long as at least one secular or other religion’s symbol is also displayed.

3. ....allows schools to display religious symbols such as nativity scenes and Christmas trees ...

4. In addition, the new law allows staff members and students at the state’s public schools to exchange traditional holiday greetings, such as “Merry Christmas,” “Happy Hanukkah” and “happy holidays” without fear of reprisal.

5. ....I'm proud that we're standing up for religious freedom in this state,” Perry said at a “Religious freedom does not mean freedom from religion.”

6. “We will be monitoring this very closely,” Tom Hargins, director of communications for the ACLU of Texas, told the Daily News.

7. In May, a Texas judge ruled that the cheerleaders could continue to display signs at football games emblazoned with Bible verses.

8. Perry cited the case as “an example of the pressure on our public schools in particular to push down any reflections of religious thought or words,”..."

Can I get an "Amen"!!!

If the law truly embraces religious diversity then there should be no problem with it at all. Schools should be encouraged to celebrate Diwali, Chinese New Year, Holi, Kwanzaa, Hannakuh, the Pagan Rites of Spring, etc, etc.

Can I get an "Amen"!!!

If the law truly embraces religious diversity then there should be no problem with it at all. Schools should be encouraged to celebrate Diwali, Chinese New Year, Holi, Kwanzaa, Hannakuh, the Pagan Rites of Spring, etc, etc.

The Constitution is written in clear,easily understandable language....isn't it.

Can I get an "Amen"!!!

The Constitution is written in clear,easily understandable language....isn't it.

AHA!

Now I may move to Texas and begin my sinister plot to return the Christmas holiday back to the pagan Yuletide celebration from whence it came.

MWUA-HA-HA-HA-HAAAAAAAA!

Could you repeat that in English?

I am going to buy a P.O. Box in Texas and demand he school district puts up a display of whatever offensive christmas holliday my faith creates.

We do thing with flogging, incense and fear at my church. But I always have liked gals wearing santa hats...

Really this is weird but sometimes folks go too far removing christmas decorations...but still, one for every religion? Next thing ya know the Lutherans will demand a nativity with Mary hidden in back unlit and gay married female ministers baptizing Jesus. AND then the Mo Synod Lutherans will want an identically sized one with only white folks present and a dead gay man in the sand....

None he less, Merry Christmas.

AHA!

Now I may move to Texas and begin my sinister plot to return the Christmas holiday back to the pagan Yuletide celebration from whence it came.

MWUA-HA-HA-HA-HAAAAAAAA!

See ya'.....

I am going to buy a P.O. Box in Texas and demand he school district puts up a display of whatever offensive christmas holliday my faith creates.

We do thing with flogging, incense and fear at my church. But I always have liked gals wearing santa hats...

Really this is weird but sometimes folks go too far removing christmas decorations...but still, one for every religion? Next thing ya know the Lutherans will demand a nativity with Mary hidden in back unlit and gay married female ministers baptizing Jesus. AND then the Mo Synod Lutherans will want an identically sized one with only white folks present and a dead gay man in the sand....

You could be a Druid.....

....you look good in blue.

You could be a Druid.....

....you look good in blue.

Definately! What was that caveman movie with all the gals just in blue body paint :)

Oh Lord, folks are touchy on this religous stuff. Thanks for the humor.

Could you repeat that in English?

He says these guys are smarter than the rest of us....

9 Drew Brees QB 34 6-0 209 13 Purdue
4 Ryan Griffin QB 23 6-4 221 R Tulane
7 Luke McCown QB 31 6-3 212 10 Louisiana Tech
10 Seneca Wallace QB 32 5-11 205 9 Iowa State
39 Travaris Cadet RB 24 6-1 210 2 Appalachian State
22 Mark Ingram RB 23 5-9 215 3 Alabama
29 Khiry Robinson RB -- 6-0 220 R West Texas A&M
43 Darren Sproles RB 29 5-6 190 9 Kansas State
23 Pierre Thomas RB 28 5-11 215 7 Illinois
45 Jed Collins FB 27 6-1 255 3 Washington State
35 Austin Johnson

Was that too easy?

Those who respect the Constitution understand the meaning of the Free Exercise Clause...

Those who respect the Constitution also respect its case law, as the Constitution exists only in the context of its case law.

Those who respect the Constitution and its case law also understand the meaning of the Establishment Clause, which prohibits the conjoining of church and state, and mandates the separation of church and state.

Otherwise, the OP has once again succeeded in only exhibiting her ignorance of the law, as nothing has been ‘reestablished’:

On Thursday, Perry signed what has been dubbed the “Merry Christmas bill” into law. The measure allows schools to display religious symbols such as nativity scenes and Christmas trees so long as at least one other religious image or secular icon is also included.

This ‘legislation’ is nothing more than political window-dressing, as the courts have determine that multiple displays of religious symbolism conform with Establishment Clause jurisprudence: See: County of Allegheny v. ACLU Greater Pittsburgh Chapter (1989).

“It's a shame that a bill like this one I'm signing today is even required, but I'm proud that we're standing up for religious freedom in this state,” Perry said at a “Religious freedom does not mean freedom from religion.”

What’s a shame is Perry’s ignorance of the law, or contempt for it, as well as those who agree with him, in that no such ‘legislation’ is necessary.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Texas said it was waiting to see what practical effect the new law would have at the state’s schools.

“We will be monitoring this very closely,” Tom Hargins, director of communications for the ACLU of Texas, told the Daily News. “We hope that school administrators will remain mindful that it is up to parents to introduce and teach their kids about religion, not the public schools.”
Exactly.

The effect of this sort of legislation must be monitored closely, as conservatives and religious extremists will, for the most part, seek to conjoin church and state in violation of the Constitution and the original intent of the Framers.

Those who respect the Constitution understand the meaning of the Free Exercise Clause...

Those who respect the Constitution also respect its case law, as the Constitution exists only in the context of its case law.

Those who respect the Constitution and its case law also understand the meaning of the Establishment Clause, which prohibits the conjoining of church and state, and mandates the separation of church and state.

Otherwise, the OP has once again succeeded in only exhibiting her ignorance of the law, as nothing has been ‘reestablished’:

On Thursday, Perry signed what has been dubbed the “Merry Christmas bill” into law. The measure allows schools to display religious symbols such as nativity scenes and Christmas trees so long as at least one other religious image or secular icon is also included.

This ‘legislation’ is nothing more than political window-dressing, as the courts have determine that multiple displays of religious symbolism conform with Establishment Clause jurisprudence: See: County of Allegheny v. ACLU Greater Pittsburgh Chapter (1989).

“It's a shame that a bill like this one I'm signing today is even required, but I'm proud that we're standing up for religious freedom in this state,” Perry said at a “Religious freedom does not mean freedom from religion.”

What’s a shame is Perry’s ignorance of the law, or contempt for it, as well as those who agree with him, in that no such ‘legislation’ is necessary.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Texas said it was waiting to see what practical effect the new law would have at the state’s schools.

“We will be monitoring this very closely,” Tom Hargins, director of communications for the ACLU of Texas, told the Daily News. “We hope that school administrators will remain mindful that it is up to parents to introduce and teach their kids about religion, not the public schools.”
Exactly.

The effect of this sort of legislation must be monitored closely, as conservatives and religious extremists will, for the most part, seek to conjoin church and state in violation of the Constitution and the original intent of the Framers.

"Those who respect the Constitution also respect its case law, as the Constitution exists only in the context of its case law."
Why?

The language of the Constitution is clear and unequivocal.....

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...

Then there are dim-wits who claim to believe it means the opposite.
That would be you, wouldn't it, C_Chamber_Pot....

What makes you appear even dopier is that the bogus 'case law' was supplied by a KKK leader.....
...but, you'll support it, won't you.

OK....here's today's lesson:

1. In 1947, in ‘Everson v. Board of Education,’ Justice Hugo Black wrote “No tax in any amount, large or small, can be levied to support any religious activities or institutions, whatever they may be called, or whatever form they may adopt to teach or practice religion.” And “The First Amendment has erected a wall between church and state. That wall must be kept high and impregnable. We could not approve the slightest breach.”

a. FDR’s first appointee, Black, former KKK member was well known to be hostile to the Catholic Church. His personal hostility resulted in essentially rewriting the First Amendment, declaring exactly the opposite of what the Founders intended.

2. The appointments of Chief Justice Roberts and Justice Alito, however, stand
to produce a majority that will agree on a new Establishment Clause standard. In recent cases, Justices Scalia, Kennedy, and Thomas have rejected the notion of neutrality and taken positions consistent with nonpreferentialism, an Establishment Clause interpretation that Justice Rehnquist proposed in 1985. The nonpreferentialist doctrine states that government may aid religion and favor religion over nonreligion, so long as it does not establish a national church or discriminate among religions.
http://www.bu.edu/law/central/jd/organizations/journals/pilj/vol18no1/documents/18-1TerryArticle.pdf

How ya' like that, boyyyyeeeeee??

First, case law does not belong to, nor is it part of, the Constitution. The Constitution would exist even if we eliminated all case law.

Second, case law can be wrong. Anyone that doesn't understand that shouldn't be allowed to breathe.

It does not mandate anything, it prevents the state from establishing a religion.

The law in Texas actually says what she said it does.

Not only that, under your interpretation of case law, the law in Texas is constitutional because it hasn't been ruled otherwise.

Exactly.

You have something against Muslims?

AHA!

MWUA-HA-HA-HA-HAAAAAAAA!
Amusing, yes.

Accurate, not really. The Christmas holiday wasn't spawned from the Yuletide celebration. It was created to rival the Yuletide celebration. It was a reactionary and protective decision made by the Church to give its flocks something to celebrate at the same time the Pagans celebrated Yule; so the Christians wouldn't rub elbows with the Pagans out of desire to partake in festivities.

Forum List

Back