Remember Veterans- We're Trained to Disobey Unlawful Orders

...They are not trained to disobey orders. You've obviously never been near the military.
Wrong.

Basic Training in all the Armed Forces of the United States has included a lip-service -caliber nod to 'unlawful' orders for decades now.

I experienced it myself during Zero Week at Ft. Campbell, KY.

And I've heard others reference the same lip service -caliber orientations, in their respective services and facilities, as well.

It might be in the UCMJ somewhere but i'm a Veteran and I don't remember "being trained" to interpret or disobey orders.
Did you miss all those training sessions on LOAC?

You should have been stressed CONTINUALLY about how you are required to disobey unlawful orders.
I was just an enlisted Marine. Maybe they "continually" stress disobedience of orders in other branches of the Military. I can imagine the chaos if every Army Private decided to interpret whether the orders he received were unlawful before carrying them out.
There is absolutely no chaos when military members are trained to disobey illegal orders according to LOAC principals. They are not hard to understand. Commander orders you to shoot unarmed POW's. Do not obey. Commander orders you to shoot unarmed civilians. Do not obey. Commander orders you to stand on your head and sing his favorite song - get on your head. You are given an order to charge an enemy line and kill them - start charging.

The idea (and training) that you are REQUIRED to disobey unlawful orders does not mean that every military member in every case is weighing the legality of an order based on his or her view of the intricacies of the law. That would be untenable. It does mean that we are trained to disobey when given an order that clearly violates the rules of war. We are also taught that when following those unlawful orders we WILL be prosecuted under the UCMJ. As a military member I find it rather odd that you claim to not understand or know this. It is taught across all forces (I have been through the same training with the army as well) and the rules are universal throughout the DoD. There are plenty of examples of people charged for obeying unlawful orders.

Does it apply to the silly use the OP tries to fit it in? Of course not. However, it is a very real concept and one that can land a military member in jail should they chose to ignore it and obey those unlawful orders.

It might be in the UCMJ somewhere but i'm a Veteran and I don't remember "being trained" to interpret or disobey orders.
Did you miss all those training sessions on LOAC?

You should have been stressed CONTINUALLY about how you are required to disobey unlawful orders.
I was just an enlisted Marine. Maybe they "continually" stress disobedience of orders in other branches of the Military. I can imagine the chaos if every Army Private decided to interpret whether the orders he received were unlawful before carrying them out.
Every member of the US military is trained to disobey an unlawful and immoral order.

Mind you, you can get in a shitload of trouble if you make the wrong call and the IG or AG doesn't back you up, but you get to make that call.

That is the responsibiliy of every single soldier, sailor, airman and marine, regardless of rank or circumstances.

The training is next to meaningless because it is perfunctory and over in the blink of an eye but Dod is all about ensuring no more My Lai Massacres, etc.

The old, lame excuse - "I was only following orders" - didn't go over so well in 1946 in Nuremburg, nor would it in our present age.

They are not trained to disobey orders. You've obviously never been near the military.

We did have soldiers who felt they didn't have to be redeployed for their second tour. I wouldn't refer to that as obeying, seeing as your are owned to serve the military that you yourself "volunteered" to participate.

And the head shed just gave us every reason to show our resolve. We were trained to disobey unlawful orders on the spot. Not waiting for the courts to decide. Obama's tyranny episode yesterday is just the beginning.

Carry on as we do, and let's not let the communist in the White House do to us what we served to avoid

-Geaux

AGREE

BUT OBAMA IS DOING EXACTLY WHAT BUSH II WAS DOING

SO HOPEFULLY YOU FEEL THE SAME WAY WHEN A WHITE DUDE/DUDETTE IS IN POWER.

You're exactly right, and I have to laugh when candidate Obama used his apparent "Constitutional knowledge" to criticize President Bush in stating the problem with using executive orders. He just stepped right in where President Bush left off and took it further..

Forum List

Back