Rep Apologizes for Obama 'Tar Baby' Comment

Some parts of the country aren't as racist as other parts. Cultural norms are different. I spent a lot of my youth and college in Colorado and like the attitude of Westerners. Basically, nobody gives a shit what color you are or who you are fucking. Just don't tell them what to do which is why they don't like big government. I'm positive Rep. Lamborn didn't know or intend the term to be offensive. Once he was alerted that parts of the country where racists lived used the term offensively, he did the gentlemanly thing and apologized.

It's been my good fortune to travel and live in many parts of our nation and the world. I found out early on that it is a mistake to think everyone thinks just as you or I do. What may seem perfectly innocent to you or I can be offensive to someone else and vice-versa. Certain hand gestures or the idea of showing the bottom of your shoe can seem innocent, but end up offending a person from a different region of the world. The proper thing to do in such a case is just as Rep. Lamborn did, offer an apology and a statement that no disrespect was intended.

The truth is you don't have any idea what he knows and what he doesn't.
You're just giving him the benefit of the doubt, without taken into consideration certain pertinent facts.

Just curious. During the time you were attending college, visiting the city of Colorado, conversing with the locals---did you once get the impression that the the use of "tar baby"
was the thing to do? You can't speak for all of Colorado, or even his district I know. But I just find it hard to believe that, even there, they don't concern themselves with cultural sensitivity. What you're describing is a State where they are all ignorant to the offensive nature of the term. I find that very hard to believe.

you'd be less ridiculous if you didn't call colorado a city, einstein.

in fact, i wager the amount of ridicule you'd be exposed to would be niggardly.

I meant to say "cities", so sue me.

You're just giving him the benefit of the doubt, without taken into consideration certain pertinent facts.

Just curious. During the time you were attending college, visiting the city of Colorado, conversing with the locals---did you once get the impression that the the use of "tar baby"
was the thing to do? You can't speak for all of Colorado, or even his district I know. But I just find it hard to believe that, even there, they don't concern themselves with cultural sensitivity. What you're describing is a State where they are all ignorant to the offensive nature of the term. I find that very hard to believe.

i didn't mean to interrupt; i believe you were enlightening all of us on the topic of your heightened intellect.

please, carry on.

Some parts of the country aren't as racist as other parts. Cultural norms are different. I spent a lot of my youth and college in Colorado and like the attitude of Westerners. Basically, nobody gives a shit what color you are or who you are fucking. Just don't tell them what to do which is why they don't like big government. I'm positive Rep. Lamborn didn't know or intend the term to be offensive. Once he was alerted that parts of the country where racists lived used the term offensively, he did the gentlemanly thing and apologized.

It's been my good fortune to travel and live in many parts of our nation and the world. I found out early on that it is a mistake to think everyone thinks just as you or I do. What may seem perfectly innocent to you or I can be offensive to someone else and vice-versa. Certain hand gestures or the idea of showing the bottom of your shoe can seem innocent, but end up offending a person from a different region of the world. The proper thing to do in such a case is just as Rep. Lamborn did, offer an apology and a statement that no disrespect was intended.

You've never been to Colorado City?

Colorado City, Arizona - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You've never been to Colorado City?

Colorado City, Arizona - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

actually, i have.

did you have another obscure point, or are you just avoiding weeding the pole beans?

You know that cuts both ways, don't you? So why are you so ardent about calling him a racist?

Just curious. During the time you were attending college, visiting the city of Colorado, conversing with the locals---did you once get the impression that the the use of "tar baby" was the thing to do?
When I was growing up, I saw "Songs of the South". The song "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" was a favorite as well as the stories told by Uncle Remus. I didn't perceive them as being racist any more than reading Aesop's Fables. If you are asking me if racists exist in Colorado, I'm sure there are. Every group has people who, for whatever reason, hate others just as some here seem to hate Republicans or Democrats, Lefties or Righties.

i didn't mean to interrupt; i believe you were enlightening all of us on the topic of your heightened intellect.

please, carry on.

That's not the topic.

You know that cuts both ways, don't you? So why are you so ardent about calling him a racist?

Just curious. During the time you were attending college, visiting the city of Colorado, conversing with the locals---did you once get the impression that the the use of "tar baby" was the thing to do?
When I was growing up, I saw "Songs of the South". The song "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" was a favorite as well as the stories told by Uncle Remus. I didn't perceive them as being racist any more than reading Aesop's Fables. If you are asking me if racists exist in Colorado, I'm sure there are. Every group has people who, for whatever reason, hate others just as some here seem to hate Republicans or Democrats, Lefties or Righties.

:lol:

I'm not sure I ever called him a racist.

Ya know, I was pretty clear with what I asked you. There really wasn't any reason to be confused about it. I wanted to know if they all go around using the term "tar baby", as if it's the thing to do, totally ignorant of it being racially offensive? The fact that you are responding ,by acknowledging that there are racist in Colorado, tends to indicate that you think only racist would use the term.

Ya know, I was pretty clear with what I asked you. There really wasn't any reason to be confused about it. I wanted to know if they all go around using the term "tar baby", as if it's the thing to do, totally ignorant of it being racially offensive? The fact that you are responding ,by acknowledging that there are racist in Colorado, tends to indicate that you think only racist would use the term there.

your confirmation bias is showing.

have someone explain to you what that means.

Ya know, I was pretty clear with what I asked you. There really wasn't any reason to be confused about it. I wanted to know if they all go around using the term "tar baby", as if it's the thing to do, totally ignorant of it being racially offensive? The fact that you are responding ,by acknowledging that there are racist in Colorado, tends to indicate that you think only racist would use the term there.

Back at ya.

actually, i have.

did you have another obscure point, or are you just avoiding weeding the pole beans?

I hear Emu burgers are very tasty.

Hmmm..Emu Burgers..

you should pick your zucchini at least a day earlier than you are currently.

They are Japanese Cucumbers, dammit.

$IMAG0749[1].jpg

Back at ya.

i lack the ability to have confirmation bias, but thanks.

Forum List

Back