Repubican capitalism made us rich, but liberalism stole the money!!!

Worst presidents: Buchanan, Harding, Bush the Younger, Grant, Hoover, from worst up.

w10466.jpg

Social Security and Elderly Poverty

??????????????

You're confused by the fact that Social Security has been keeping our elderly population out of poverty for a couple of decades now?

Republican capitalism, that's a new one, surely you mean crony capitalism. I am revising this [http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/186726-republican-ideology-through-history-9.html#post5784628] but last I checked every republican presidency has led to recession or depression, do you wingnuts ever read any history?

Many Americans fail to realize we did not arrive at this place in time without a lot of turmoil and change, revolution, civil war, Laissez-faire capitalism, great depression, unions, new deal, civil rights, great society, riots, and on and on. This fictional dichotomy has existed in the minds of the simple since the New Deal - if not before - corporate America has since tattooed it into the minds of the impressible. Makes everything easy to categorize. I'd suggest for those interested in its story a book I am reading now. "Historian Phillips-Fein traces the hidden history of the Reagan revolution to a coterie of business executives, including General Electric official and Reagan mentor Lemuel Boulware, who saw labor unions, government regulation, high taxes and welfare spending as dire threats to their profits and power. From the 1930s onward, the author argues, they provided the money, organization and fervor for a decades-long war against New Deal liberalism—funding campaigns, think tanks, magazines and lobbying groups, and indoctrinating employees in the virtues of unfettered capitalism." [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Invisible-Hands-Making-Conservative-Movement/dp/0393059308/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247845984&sr=1-1]Invisible Hands: The Making of the Conservative Movement from the New Deal to Reagan: Kim Phillips-Fein: 9780393059304: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...more-http-www-foxnews-com-op-post5646763.html

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/226033-dear-liberals-i-want-a-divorce-27.html#post5366011

If an average America put 15% of his lifetime income at 4-6%( AT&Tor Verizon) in a private account he'd retire with $1.4 million estate as opposed to no ($0) estate with libturd SS!! Repubican capitalism made us rich, but liberalism stole the money!!!

Its just another a huge huge liberal scandal!!

Hey hippie dreamer type. Lets think about the average person and the average investment since 300 million folks are involved.

What if they were average and invested in a mutual fund called DOW JONES in 2007? How much more would they have today?

I wonder how many of the anti-SocSec folks put money into a savings account every payday.

I'd bet, zip.

They'll bitch and whine but they'll have their hand out when their day comes because not one of them will have saved or invested a cent.

As for investing the same amount of money, you would have lost some or all of it any number of times. Most recently, the bush recession took a huge bite out of my investments. Luckily, Obama is the prez and the stock market reflects that.

SS isn't enough. Save for your retirement or you won't get to retire.

What a stupid thread.

Yes, we should go back to the days of sweat shops...

who talking about sweat shops?????????

Thread is about Social Security!!!!!!!

Exactly how slow are you???

no. you're the one who's slow.

cute that the wacky neocon idiot thanked your post though.

given that your IQ is two digits (being generous here, btw), let me try to break it down for you...

unfettered capitalism results in the things i mentioned.

now run along and play with your fellow numbskulls.

Seriously...what part of this don't ya'll get?

they don't have much capability to think for themselves. they've been told by their masters that social security is bad, so they don't go much beyond that.

the fact is that 50% of senior citizens lived below the poverty line prior to social security.

and the nutbars have hated it ever since.

If an average America put 15% of his lifetime income at 4-6%( AT&Tor Verizon) in a private account he'd retire with $1.4 million estate as opposed to no ($0) estate with libturd SS!! Repubican capitalism made us rich, but liberalism stole the money!!!

Hey hippie dreamer type. Lets think about the average person and the average investment since 300 million folks are involved.

What if they were average and invested in a mutual fund called DOW JONES in 2007? How much more would they have today?

he's a hippie?

really?

i thought he was just a randian idiot. hippies, from what i understand, were into making sure the world was a better place... not just for themselves.

It's a great idea and would work, however, the liberals find ways to suck money from our paychecks to pay for their stupid pet projects and funnel money into systems that keep people dependent on the govt. The way they see it, everyone should give at least half of their income to DC because of course the govt does a much better job of using our money than we do. By all means, let's continue to pay politicians $175k per year (for LIFE even if after serving only one term)...let's continue to allow them to avoid taking part in SS so that they can create their own retirement system that is very lucrative (one that the receive for LIFE after they serve for one term)....let's continue to allow them to create their own healthcare system that provides very good health coverage (for LIFE no matter how long they've served) but forces the general public to make due with shitty healthcare that costs us more.....let's continue to pay them a year's salary when they only work 6 months out of a year, even though they accomplish little to nothing other than making themselves rich and are able to find ways to avoid paying taxes. The liberals are complete morons....there is no hope for them.

Of course, you also assume that the vast majority of people are making enough money to be able to put 10-15% of their income into a 4-6% private account......singles making around $40k or families making $80k don't have that kind of money to put away, pure and simple. They have mortgages, car payments, health/car insurance, student loans to pay back, etc....people are lucky if they can contribute a mere 3-5% of their income toward retirement. You can't expect everyone to be able to buy their autos with cash so they have no payments or to live on Ramen noodles or mac and cheese for 15 years so they can hurry up and pay off their mortgages or to go without entertainment and live like paupers so they can sock a bunch of money away for retirement......this is particularly true for those who live in large cities where everything is three times as expensive. If singles were making $60k and families were making $100k, then they could put away that 10-15% of income toward retirement. Until we make that a practicality and stop taxing the hell out of everyone who works and receives a middle class income, people won't be able to do it.

Then you also assume that the banks (Wall Street) won't tank in a major way, which would mean people would lose much of their retirement account that they have built up. It would leave them with very little or nothing.....and then what do they do? We saw that happen in 2008 where several people that I knew (myself included) they lost more than half of their retirement money that they had worked for years to save up.....and some of them were close to retirement or already retired. The market tanking really hurt them financially. Unless you can find some way to guarantee that everyone would earn 4-6% for 30+ years without the market influencing their retirement accounts in negative ways, your plan is flawed.

Last edited:

Social Security keeps seniors out of poverty

Who's not getting it?

The latest report of the Social Security and Medicare trustees shows an unfunded liability for both programs of $63 trillion. That is equal to about 4.5 times the entire U.S. gross domestic product.

The unfunded liability is the amount we have promised in benefits, looking indefinitely into the future, minus the payroll taxes and premiums we expect to collect. It’s the amount we must have in the bank today, earning interest, for these entitlement programs to be solvent.

We not only don’t have the money in the bank, no one has a serious plan to put it there.

Now — some really bad news. The actual liability is almost twice what the government is reporting. In 2009, the trustees calculated the two programs’ unfunded liability at about 6.5 times the size of the U.S. economy. But the next year the unfunded liability was cut in half. The reason: “Obamacare.” The minute President Barack Obama signed his health reform bill, he cut Medicare’s unfunded liability by more than $50 trillion.

You would think this accomplishment would be an occasion for great joy — for dancing and celebration in the streets. If you’re like most Americans, however, you probably haven’t heard about it. Certainly, the Obama administration isn’t talking.

Here is what’s going on: Obamacare uses cuts in Medicare to pay for more than half the cost of expanding health insurance for young people. So even if the Medicare cuts take place, they won’t reduce the government’s overall obligations. They just replace entitlements for seniors with entitlements for young people. In addition, the health reform bill contains no serious plan for making Medicare more efficient.

So the only realistic way to make cuts in Medicare spending is a mechanism that will pay less and less to doctors and hospitals over time.

Opinion: Social Security trustees: We?re going broke - John C. Goodman - POLITICO.com

You know Jillian, I agree with you that Social Security has been a Godsend to our seniors, and that without it many more of our elderly would be surviving on cat food and charity.

With that said, can you describe to me the scenario that will generate the $10's of trillions it will take to meet it's next 40 years of costs?

And then the 40 after that?

they don't have much capability to think for themselves. they've been told by their masters that social security is bad, so they don't go much beyond that.

the fact is that 50% of senior citizens lived below the poverty line prior to social security.

and the nutbars have hated it ever since.

Social Security is unsustainable as is it...your posts are almost child like:eusa_eh:

Of course, the average American doesn't have 15% of his income available to put into anything because the wealthy, GOP "job creators" sent his work overseas to pad their own pockets.

You do realize, don't you, that liberals are using off shore accounts and using tax loopholes to avoid paying "their fair share" of taxes and are downsizing or refusing to hire people altogether because they want to get/stay rich, right?? I mean, you do understand that it's not just a GOP issue? I'm assuming your IQ is above 100 because if it is, then you would know this.

What a stupid thread.

Yes, we should go back to the days of sweat shops... to those lovely times before OSHA... before child labor laws...

wacko.

Your post has got to be one of the most stupid that I've read on this forum. You can't simply look at the issue being presented and comment on it for what it is; no, you have to react in a the-sky-is-falling running off the cliff type hysterical reaction. No one said a thing about sweat shops or OSHA or child labor......you libs are completely off your rockers.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCdgv7n9xCY]Milton Friedman - The Social Security Myth - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back