Republican Senator asks for CBO score of Sanders' Single Payer bill

Senator asks for CBO score of Sanders's single-payer bill

Sanders made sure not to mention anything about costs in his presentation a couple of days ago.
Let's see how much this thing is gonna save us and how much our taxes will have to be raised, etc.
Good. I wonder though what they'll compare that cost to? Current expenditures on health care overall in society? I don't have much confidence that single payer will reduce our overall expenditures. Inefficiency exists now and it probably would become worse with single payer. I could support a public option if someone proved to me that costs would go down. With public option private insurance wil always always find a way to offer private options. Either as substitutes or add ons. So this argument of death panels is stupid since you'll always have the option to opt out if you have the money. Just don't trust the government to reduce inefficiency and cost from what we have today.
Who will be able to afford the "private option" when they are paying 20% of their income to support the "public option?"

Sanders made sure not to mention anything about costs in his presentation a couple of days ago.
Let's see how much this thing is gonna save us and how much our taxes will have to be raised, etc.
Good. I wonder though what they'll compare that cost to? Current expenditures on health care overall in society? I don't have much confidence that single payer will reduce our overall expenditures. Inefficiency exists now and it probably would become worse with single payer. I could support a public option if someone proved to me that costs would go down. With public option private insurance wil always always find a way to offer private options. Either as substitutes or add ons. So this argument of death panels is stupid since you'll always have the option to opt out if you have the money. Just don't trust the government to reduce inefficiency and cost from what we have today.
Who will be able to afford the "private option" when they are paying 20% of their income to support the "public option?"
I will. Right now the average American pays $10K/year. If there is any reduction at all in that number, then people can use some of that for add on or substitute policies.

Having said that, as I posted above, I am not at all convinced that the public single payer system alone would reduce the overall expenditure of $10K/year. Someone would need to convince me that the single payer system would reduce the 10K. The only way to do that is not through the insurance coverage, but through reducing the underlying costs of health care. In some senses, Congress is arguing about the wrong thing. More competition among providers should reduce costs. More transparency.

In any event, I would never support solely single payer. There would always need to be competition from private insurers. The money is out there, we just need to spend it more efficiently. The market is the answer.

Ooops. Edited to add link: Here's how much the average American spends on health care

I will. Right now the average American pays $10K/year. If there is any reduction at all in that number, then people can use some of that for add on or substitute policies.

Having said that, as I posted above, I am not at all convinced that the public single payer system alone would reduce the overall expenditure of $10K/year. Someone would need to convince me that the single payer system would reduce the 10K. The only way to do that is not through the insurance coverage, but through reducing the underlying costs of health care. In some senses, Congress is arguing about the wrong thing. More competition among providers should reduce costs. More transparency.

In any event, I would never support solely single payer. There would always need to be competition from private insurers. The money is out there, we just need to spend it more efficiently. The market is the answer.

Ooops. Edited to add link: Here's how much the average American spends on health care
I'd like to see a reduction in the beurocracy of the system of the repeated back and forth of charges and allowable charges.
I think employers would love to get out of the healthcare business

I'd like to see a reduction in the beurocracy of the system of the repeated back and forth of charges and allowable charges.
Yeah, putting government in charge is the best way to reduce bureaucracy. Everyone knows that!

Yeah, putting government in charge is the best way to reduce bureaucracy. Everyone knows that!
Medicare has been around for 50 years
My mom has been using it for over 20 years and she loves it

My parents love it too! But in fairness, my parents also have TRICARE which pays their 20% share...

your taxes will be raised, but you will no longer have your monthly insurance premiums to pay.... will be interesting to see how it actually scores...

Considering the fine job they did scoring Obamacare, I wouldn't hold my breath.

My parents love it too! But in fairness, my parents also have TRICARE which pays their 20% share...

My mom's been on it too for 20 years, sees all the doctors she wants. We have a supplemental plan over the top which is why I think a public/private blend can work. But I would need to be convinced that the public option wouldn't increase costs of underlying care and of bureaucratic hoo ha in coverage.

Good for your mom, she has probably worked a minimum of ten years to qualify for Medicare.

Ask someone from Britain with a fatal disease how they feel about their treatment by the Ministry of Health.

The VA is a government run healthcare program. When the waiting list gets too long, the people who run it just take your name off the list and let you die. Then there's no one around to complain. It's brilliant!

My mom's been on it too for 20 years, sees all the doctors she wants. We have a supplemental plan over the top which is why I think a public/private blend can work. But I would need to be convinced that the public option wouldn't increase costs of underlying care and of bureaucratic hoo ha in coverage.
ROFL! You are so naive.

Remember this quote: "if you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor."

ROFL! You are so naive.

Remember this quote: "if you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor."
Yes, if naïve is being skeptical about whether money will actually be saved, then I am indeed naïve.

I never ever supported Obamacare. Not for one minute. And yet I recognize there is an issue in health care.

By the way, I notice that your name-calling has diminished generally. I applaud your efforts in this regard.

Good for your mom, she has probably worked a minimum of ten years to qualify for Medicare.

My mom worked around 12 years, my dad paid Medicare from 1965 till he retired

Considering the alternative of old people going on be insurance free market to get coverage....it is a Godsend

Can we open Medicare to all? I'd like to investigate it. We are going to need something after Republicans do what they can to kill Obamacare

Forum List

Back