Ruger SFAR.....Finally, A .308 AR in a 5.56 AR Package

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I heard about this rifle in 2022 and wanted one but was hesitant due to some early issues....Upon investigation (and a 50 page thread on ARFCOM) I found that most were user oriented.

A couple weeks ago I had the opportunity to buy one (made this year) for a very good price and did. Between setting it up (with weight savings in mind) and wringing it out I'm happy to report that it performs well.

The rifle:

sf 005 (2).JPG

sf 002 (2).JPG

sf 006 (2).JPG

When I got it it came with a big honking "tactical" case (I gave it to a friend), four 20-round magpul mags, and a SIG Romeo 5 red dot.

I removed the red dot (I'll use it on something else) and put a 1X1X4 Redfield in a excellent Burris PEPR QD mount. I had a set of the Magpul Pro steel BUISs I used. I went with a 1" scope to both save weight and I prefer just plain crosshairs.

I also replaced the charging handle to be more scope use friendly. It uses a regular AR CH.

I had read were the rifle was giving problems when "limp shouldering".....Some claimed it was due to the natural give of the telescoping stock it came with when extended too far back so I killed two birds with one stone.....I put a Magpul fixed stock on it and also shaved off two ounces in weight.

I also boxed-up the 20 round mags and bought three magpul 10-round mags.

By the time I was done with a couple other little add-ons it came in at 8.6# (no bi-pod).....About the same as a stripped down 20" A2 HB AR.....Not bad for a .308.....A DPMS .308 set up the same way was around 14 pounds.

"Mission Creep" was not too bad because most all parts were on-hand except for the 5-slot rail, rail covers, and the 10-round mags.

I guess I'm into it to the tune of $900.00.

So, how does it shoot?
I made several trips down to my range and used several flavors of ammo.....I had laser sighted both the irons and scope at home so I was "on paper" right off the bat.

I used M80 ball for sight-in as I have a shit-ton of it.....It was just "meh" accuracy wise at around 1.50" at 100 yards.....I used a bi-pod for all shooting.

Then I went to various commercial loadings from 150 to 165 gr and the groups tightened. My best was .75" with 150gr SP Hornady fodder.....Good enough.

Then, just for shits and giggles I loaded a mag with the M80 ball again and got better groups.....around 1.10". I have a feeling that the more you shoot it the better accuracy will be.....Some say it really comes in at 400 rounds.

I experienced no issues at all with the gas setting on 2. I fired around 135 rounds total. I did not clean the weapon between sessions.

Now for the "bad".
It has what is called a Boomer muzzle break and it's lives up to it's name. I'm glad I don't have to share a range as they would not have been happy.....It's loud but it damn sure does it's job! Very gentle on the shoulder.

Here's the ARFCOM thread on the SFAR.

I see this rifle being a huge boon to those in states (like Virginia) that do not allow 5.56 for deer hunting. Till now they have been forced to use marginal cartridges like .300 Black Out if they wanted to use the AR platform unless they wanted to tote a 14# pig of a AR 10 around.....The SFAR solves that problem at a reasonable price.

I heard about this rifle in 2022 and wanted one but was hesitant due to some early issues....Upon investigation (and a 50 page thread on ARFCOM) I found that most were user oriented.

A couple weeks ago I had the opportunity to buy one (made this year) for a very good price and did. Between setting it up (with weight savings in mind) and wringing it out I'm happy to report that it performs well.

The rifle:

View attachment 967376

View attachment 967374

View attachment 967377

When I got it it came with a big honking "tactical" case (I gave it to a friend), four 20-round magpul mags, and a SIG Romeo 5 red dot.

I removed the red dot (I'll use it on something else) and put a 1X1X4 Redfield in a excellent Burris PEPR QD mount. I had a set of the Magpul Pro steel BUISs I used. I went with a 1" scope to both save weight and I prefer just plain crosshairs.

I also replaced the charging handle to be more scope use friendly. It uses a regular AR CH.

I had read were the rifle was giving problems when "limp shouldering".....Some claimed it was due to the natural give of the telescoping stock it came with when extended too far back so I killed two birds with one stone.....I put a Magpul fixed stock on it and also shaved off two ounces in weight.

I also boxed-up the 20 round mags and bought three magpul 10-round mags.

By the time I was done with a couple other little add-ons it came in at 8.6# (no bi-pod).....About the same as a stripped down 20" A2 HB AR.....Not bad for a .308.....A DPMS .308 set up the same way was around 14 pounds.

"Mission Creep" was not too bad because most all parts were on-hand except for the 5-slot rail, rail covers, and the 10-round mags.

I guess I'm into it to the tune of $900.00.

So, how does it shoot?
I made several trips down to my range and used several flavors of ammo.....I had laser sighted both the irons and scope at home so I was "on paper" right off the bat.

I used M80 ball for sight-in as I have a shit-ton of it.....It was just "meh" accuracy wise at around 1.50" at 100 yards.....I used a bi-pod for all shooting.

Then I went to various commercial loadings from 150 to 165 gr and the groups tightened. My best was .75" with 150gr SP Hornady fodder.....Good enough.

Then, just for shits and giggles I loaded a mag with the M80 ball again and got better groups.....around 1.10". I have a feeling that the more you shoot it the better accuracy will be.....Some say it really comes in at 400 rounds.

I experienced no issues at all with the gas setting on 2. I fired around 135 rounds total. I did not clean the weapon between sessions.

Now for the "bad".
It has what is called a Boomer muzzle break and it's lives up to it's name. I'm glad I don't have to share a range as they would not have been happy.....It's loud but it damn sure does it's job! Very gentle on the shoulder.

Here's the ARFCOM thread on the SFAR.

I see this rifle being a huge boon to those in states (like Virginia) that do not allow 5.56 for deer hunting. Till now they have been forced to use marginal cartridges like .300 Black Out if they wanted to use the AR platform unless they wanted to tote a 14# pig of a AR 10 around.....The SFAR solves that problem at a reasonable price.
I guess you didnt see my post on the AR-10? .308 hunting rifle in an AR-15 style package.

1719362783227.png

Last edited:
I guess you didnt see my post on the AR-10? .308 hunting rifle in an AR-15 style package.

View attachment 967482
As pictured it's still a pig......It's 7.71# with nothing on it.

The Ruger 16" is 6.8#....The 20" 7.1#.

A guy on Reddit got his AR-10 down to 9 pounds 10 Oz fully equipped with scope and bipod.
I've heard of a minimal AR-10 with a short rail, just enough to hold on to.....Some people are doing the same thing to the Ruger but they waste the weight savings by putting big hoking scopes on them.

I thought of going with a 30mm 2 X 6 Leupold I have but it weighed almost twice as much as the old 1" Redfield.

I did sacrifice some weight with the Burris QD mount but I wanted a reliable return to zero mount.

I've heard of a minimal AR-10 with a short rail, just enough to hold on to.....Some people are doing the same thing to the Ruger but they waste the weight savings by putting big hoking scopes on them.

I thought of going with a 30mm 2 X 6 Leupold I have but it weighed almost twice as much as the old 1" Redfield.

I did sacrifice some weight with the Burris QD mount but I wanted a reliable return to zero mount.
I don't hunt any longer, but if I did I would still be using my old Steyr SSG PII with the double set triggers and the Kahles ZF84 10.

I bagged a lot of deer, and a couple of elk with that sucker.

Most accurate rifle I have ever owned, and I never had to use a followup shot. Furthest one ever went was two steps.

Forum List

Back