Russian general gets sniped

I hope it is true.
I'll bet most everyone on this chatroom hopes it is true.
But........

I'll hold my applause until it starts showing up in news sources with more gravitas than Daily Mail.
I did a quick Google search of the guys name, and there were a couple of pages about the alleged shooting....but from mutt's collection of sources.
Nothing from the New York Times.
Washington Post
Wall Street Journal
LA Times
Or any broadcast or cable heavyweight.

Let's see what the morning brings.

Still, don't we all hope it is true?

Nice rant....Very true...I give it a full 10.

That said, how does any credibly functioning major military leave a division-level General venerable to sniper fire?

I smell some serious funkiness.
Most of the time they do not though it is entirely possible. We had generals in the field in Iraq but generally there is enough between the generals and the resistance to avoid such occurrences.

I have no idea about the truth of this particular claim but in all honesty, I don't really care. If it is true, good.

If it was the Russians taking out one of their own, good also. That means the command structure is falling apart but I doubt that claim very much. If it is outright false, meh. Oh well.

The outcome is not going to change, Russia will win this conflict. I do not doubt that and killing a few generals would not change that. The question will be if this becomes an Afghanistan for Russia. It certainly seems that such an outcome is likely. It does not look like Ukraine wants to have Russia run the government there or this would have been over already.

I hope it is true.
I'll bet most everyone on this chatroom hopes it is true.
But........

I'll hold my applause until it starts showing up in news sources with more gravitas than Daily Mail.
I did a quick Google search of the guys name, and there were a couple of pages about the alleged shooting....but from mutt's collection of sources.
Nothing from the New York Times.
Washington Post
Wall Street Journal
LA Times
Or any broadcast or cable heavyweight.

Let's see what the morning brings.

Still, don't we all hope it is true?
FWIW...Fox News is reporting it.

FWIW...Fox News is reporting it.

Does not change much.

Anyone who has ever been to the AOR knows how woefully incorrect almost all wartime reporting really is. The vast majority of the 'information' coming out of a warzone is just flatly incorrect. This is even worse considering the chaos there atm.

Why in the fuck would a General be, not only on the battlefield, but an active city that is controlled by the opponent? Wtf is this?
You can't lead from the rear. There isn't a frontline in Ukraine. As cluster fucked as the invasion seems to be, army and corps commanders are having to take a more hands on role.

Good.

I have always found it asinine that there is some sort of generally recognized rule that the leadership who sacrifices thousands of poor soldiers following orders are somehow generally off limits.

You would see war grind to a halt the instant the generals and politicians started having to risk their lives rather than the average joe who has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with starting the war in the first place.
Agreed. Why not go right after Putin? Take out the head of the snake

Good shooting. Killing a general is a big deal. Killing an army group commander is kinda huge.

Opportunity for advancement for the next person?

Thats a double edged sword, because the guy who steps up to replace him might be worse.
If the replacement is worse then the replace gets taken out too. Regardless the foundation of their operations and leadership will be rocked which is a good thing during war

Forum List

Back