Satanists in OK seek to put monument at State House like 10 Commandments

But you want the determination of relevance for Judeo-Christian displays to be made by Christians, and then they also get to make the determinations concerning other faiths.

But how will you KNOW if a Christian is on a committee or board? There must be a way to identify them, maybe a yellow arm band?

For those who think human sacrifice is part of the church of satan, you might want to do a little reading about it.

The Church of Satan was a farce, started by a Jew, Anton Levey. They existed to mock Christianity.

OK, one through four are pretty specifc, but they apply to at least the three monothestic religions equally, and some of the others as well. Other religions have similar concepts.

Commendment 5 would be at home in most Eastern Religions, filial piety and respect for elders and all.

The rest are basic rules any society has to follow, be it godless or god-fearing. I know some hedonists have an issue with the whole "adultery" thing, but the rest are very common, and indeed are needed to have a stable society and culture.

Other religions may have similar concepts, but using something from one (or 3 with the same basis) religious text and then claiming it fits others too is simply a lie.

There are 10 commandments. There are 5 that demand allegiance to Judeo-Christian faiths and only 2 that are the basis for any of our laws. To claim a nation built on freedom of religion has a legal system based on it is nonsense. Yes, it had a place in the development of our legal system, but so did many, many things.

How is honoring your mother and father demanding allegiance to a Judeo-Chrisitan faith?

down to 4 specific to "God"

Prohibitions against bearing false witness, stealing, and murdering are part of any legal system.

Up to 3 with a solid basis in any legal system.

Prohibitions against adultery may be moral, but are based on honoring a contract, again part of most belief structures.

Finally not coveting IS advice and non legal, but most religions besides ones that condone theft adhere to this one, and most legal structures prohibit you from acting on your covetous nature.

I'd even wonder about keeping the sabbath holy as specific to "God" as most religions have holy days.

The only time bearing false witness is illegal is when it is in the official capacity in court or towards authorities. You can lie to your friends & family all you want.

Back to two with a solid basis in our legal system.

Yes, the prohibitions against adultery are part of most belief structures. But this particular set of commandments is taken from the text of one belief structure. Claiming they apply to all is laughable at best.

Not coveting is not advice in the 10 Commandments. It is a commandment. If you act on your covetous nature, you are stealing. And that is already covered.

Indeed, most religions have holy days. But to hold one religion's holy days applies to all religions is simply inaccurate.

First off, the 10 Commandments are Hebrew law, not Christian. Just because the Atheists are at war to crush Christianity, reality does not realign to support their goal.

Again, you’re being incredibly nitpicky. I could have used the phrase “Judeo-Christian”; it’s irrelevant and does not change the CORE of the discussion here which is separation of church and state. Please stop with these time wasters. And although the ten commandments started as Hebrew Law, they are CENTRAL in Christianity as well.

Further, our laws owe a great deal to the commandments - from the Magna Carta to Common Law, the Judeo-Christian tenets of law are irrefutable. Again, the war against Christians by small minded bigots, does not alter history or reality.
May be true – I’m not doubting their historical significance in the formation of laws. However, my point is that when the state legislature installed the Ten Commandments in 2009 it was a much more of a gesture more towards Judeo-Christian values vs. a gesture towards the “general history of law”. This is the bible belt, uncensored, and we can disagree on whether or not this belongs in front of the courthouse but to say this wasn’t done as an endorsement of Judeo-Christian beliefs is INCREDIBLY dishonest. Don’t waste my time, please.

An amazing thing, seeing how they were written 700 years before Christ...
Another irrelevant, nitpicky comment. You’re debating me on terminology vs. the core argument at hand; point is that the ten commandments represent a specific religious institution – Judaism and Christianity (which are very, very closely linked).

I read on a trail head in Yosemite; "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - should this be outlawed and destroyed? After all, some mindless and bigoted ninny might take offense..

Dude, are you going to be silly here? If so, I’m going to duck out. Trying to have an adult conversation.

Last edited:
But you want the determination of relevance for Judeo-Christian displays to be made by Christians, and then they also get to make the determinations concerning other faiths.

But how will you KNOW if a Christian is on a committee or board? There must be a way to identify them, maybe a yellow arm band?

For those who think human sacrifice is part of the church of satan, you might want to do a little reading about it.

The Church of Satan was a farce, started by a Jew, Anton Levey. They existed to mock Christianity.

So...you get to judge the validity of other religions? How christian of you.

The 10 Commandments being installed in front of a public building (especially when put in just a few years ago) is clearly more of a nod towards Christianity than a nod towards the "history of law". I think this is a fair point; let's not play games here and call things like they are.

First off, the 10 Commandments are Hebrew law, not Christian. Just because the Atheists are at war to crush Christianity, reality does not realign to support their goal.

Further, our laws owe a great deal to the commandments - from the Magna Carta to Common Law, the Judeo-Christian tenets of law are irrefutable. Again, the war against Christians by small minded bigots, does not alter history or reality.

The great majority of the laws in the 10 Commandments (I'd say a solid 7 out of 10) apply directly to the Christian religion only (ie keep holy the Sabbath, don't use the Lord's name in vain, only one God, etc).

An amazing thing, seeing how they were written 700 years before Christ...

I read on a trail head in Yosemite; "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - should this be outlawed and destroyed? After all, some mindless and bigoted ninny might take offense..

First of all, most atheists are not out to crush anything.

Second of all, how is it amazing? Most religions had rules to follow that supposedly came from their God(s) or Goddess(es). The Code of Hammarabi is a much more comprehensive set of laws. And they predate the 10 Commandments by around 1,000 years.

The Church of Satan has 9 tenets of their church.

1. Satan represents indulgence instead of abstinence!
2. Satan represents vital existence instead of spiritual pipe dreams!
3. Satan represents undefiled wisdom instead of hypocritical self-deceit!
4. Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it instead of love wasted on ingrates!
5. Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek!
6. Satan represents responsibility to the responsible instead of concern for psychic vampires!
7. Satan represents man as just another animal, sometimes better, more often worse than those that walk on all-fours, who, because of his “divine spiritual and intellectual development,” has become the most vicious animal of all!
8. Satan represents all of the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification!
9. Satan has been the best friend the Church has ever had, as He has kept it in business all these years!

They basically deny the existence of "gods".

First of all, most atheists are not out to crush anything.

Yeah, and most Klansmen weren't trying to intimidate anyone....

Second of all, how is it amazing? Most religions had rules to follow that supposedly came from their God(s) or Goddess(es). The Code of Hammarabi is a much more comprehensive set of laws. And they predate the 10 Commandments by around 1,000 years.

I believe he is referenced on the SCOTUS building. But the small minded bigots of the left don't piss themselves over this.

{Weinman’s sculpture begins on
the South Wall Frieze with Fame and moves from
left to right. Included among the great lawgivers are allegorical figures
whose names are included below the images in italics

(c. 3200 B.C.) First King of the first dynasty of ancient Egyp
t. He unified Upper and Lower Egypt under his rule and is
one of the earliest recorded lawgivers.
Menes is shown in the frieze holding the
ankh,
an Egyptian symbol for life.
Hammurabi
(c. 1700s B.C.) King of Babylon credited with founding the Babylonian Empire. He is known for the Code of
Hammurabi, one of the earliest known legal codes. The firs
t stone of the Code depicts him receiving the law from the
Babylonian Sun God.
Moses
(c. 1300s B.C.) Prophet, lawgiver, and judge of the Israelites.
Mosaic Law is based on the Tora
h, the first five books of
the Old Testament. Moses is depicted in the frieze holding tw
o overlapping tablets, written in
Hebrew, representing the Ten
Commandments. Partially visible from behind Moses’ beard are Commandments six through ten.
Solomon
(c. 900s B.C.) King of Israel and renowned judge. His name, meaning “figure of the wise man,” has become
synonymous with “judicial wisdom.”
Lycurgus
(c. 800 B.C.) Legislator of Sparta. Lycurgus is credited wi
th being one of the reformers of Sparta’s constitution. He
left Sparta after convincing the Spartan leadership not to
change his laws until he returned, but he never did. }

http://www.supremecourt.gov/about/north&southwalls.pdf

4. Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it instead of love wasted on ingrates!
6. Satan represents responsibility to the responsible instead of concern for psychic vampires!
7. Satan represents man as just another animal, sometimes better, more often worse than those that walk on all-fours, who, because of his “divine spiritual and intellectual development,” has become the most vicious animal of all!
8. Satan represents all of the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification!
9. Satan has been the best friend the Church has ever had, as He has kept it in business all these years!

Again, the entire structure designed to mock Christianity.

It is, was, and always will be, a farce.

You are welcome to your opinion. However, the US Government recognizes it as a religion.

I have heard Wicca called a farce as well, should we remove it from having the benefits of being a recognized religion?

Buddhism doesn't even have a God. Should we call it a farce as well? Or does its age and number of followers make it an acceptable religion?

You are welcome to your opinion. However, the US Government recognizes it as a religion.

And LaVey made a fortune off of it.

I have no problem with that.

I have heard Wicca called a farce as well, should we remove it from having the benefits of being a recognized religion?

Anton LaVey was a Jew who turned Atheist and created the Church of Satan to mock Christians. He deliberately used Catholic rites and themes, inverting them, to mock his foe.

Wicca is a vastly different situation. Wicca is a real religion, based on a long standing, pagan tradition. The COS was never intended to be anything more than a farce, but Wicca is an actual faith.

Buddhism doesn't even have a God. Should we call it a farce as well? Or does its age and number of followers make it an acceptable religion?

You do a lot of really ignorant whining.

The Satanic Temple, based in Brooklyn, are the people doing this.

They are not connected in any way to LaVey's Church of Satan.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

The Satanic Temple, based in Brooklyn, are the people doing this.

They are not connected in any way to LaVey's Church of Satan.

Are they dolts who didn't get the joke, and took LaVey seriously?

No, they take themselves even less seriously than LaVey's crew.

They've been in the news a few time recently, for performing a ritual that supposedly turned Fred Phelp's dead mother into a lesbian in the afterlife, and for adopting a stretch of highway in NY.

No, they take themselves even less seriously than LaVey's crew.

They've been in the news a few time recently, for performing a ritual that supposedly turned Fred Phelp's dead mother into a lesbian in the afterlife, and for adopting a stretch of highway in NY.

Actually, that's pretty funny. :lol::lol:

Newton said that every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

Repress people enough sexually and eventually they will slingshot towards the other end of the spectrum (ie free love, etc). Is that really necessarily mocking Christianity or doing something different than Christianity?

Also, when Christians say that having multiple sex partners is a sin and will send you to hell are they mocking Satanists?

When Christians say that being gay will send you to hell are they mocking gay people?

Last edited:

And LaVey made a fortune off of it.

I have no problem with that.

Anton LaVey was a Jew who turned Atheist and created the Church of Satan to mock Christians. He deliberately used Catholic rites and themes, inverting them, to mock his foe.

Wicca is a vastly different situation. Wicca is a real religion, based on a long standing, pagan tradition. The COS was never intended to be anything more than a farce, but Wicca is an actual faith.

You do a lot of really ignorant whining.

Wicca has some facets that are old. But they were basically "rediscovered" by Gerald Gardner in the early half of the 20th century.

Why is it so hard for some to recognize that allowing any religious displays on gov't property means allowing all religions the same access?

Forum List

Back