Senate Democrats plan to hold the floor to protest inaction on gun legislation

Half the time it's the normal people you have to worry about that will commit a mass murder.
Well they aren’t normal in my book if they are committing mass murder

True. But the government sees them as normal enough to allow them to purchase firearms.
Boom, there’s a problem that we can work on. How do we make that better and flag high risk people so we can not allow them to buy guns?

You can't, that's the point.

The Thought Police was a concept created by Orwell in his book 1984. To apply that concept for reality in 2019 is a freedom reducing initiative.

Most of the guns that are obtained illegally are stolen or purchased by a straw buyer. So the focus should be on them, not all gun buyers or owners.

Anybody knowingly purchasing a stolen firearm should be a minimum 10 year prison sentence. Anybody selling a stolen firearm a 15 year minimum sentence. Anybody legally buying a gun for somebody else that can't buy one legally a 15 year minimum prison sentence.
this is a novel concept - punishing those doing the wrong thing.

Since we don't have a crystal ball to stop mass murderers from buying legal weapons, the best we can do is stop the ones who can't.

Selling a stolen gun is fine if you get busted because it's probably only a few months in jail if that depending on where you live. Fifteen years is too big of a risk to take for only a hundred or so dollars.

The Thought Police was a concept created by Orwell in his book 1984. To apply that concept for reality in 2019 is a freedom reducing initiative.

Most of the guns that are obtained illegally are stolen or purchased by a straw buyer. So the focus should be on them, not all gun buyers or owners.

Anybody knowingly purchasing a stolen firearm should be a minimum 10 year prison sentence. Anybody selling a stolen firearm a 15 year minimum sentence. Anybody legally buying a gun for somebody else that can't buy one legally a 15 year minimum prison sentence.
Well the 3 others I’ve been talking to on this thread think otherwise and use the parkland kid as an example of somebody who should have been stopped from buying a gun. So yes I think it can be done

If that's put into law, fine. But as far as Parkland kid goes, he should have been watched carefully which didn't happen.

In order to preserve our freedom and stay within the bounds of the Constitution, red tag laws should not stop somebody from buying a gun, but alert authorities when somebody has. Because until somebody actually breaks a law that would preclude them from exercising their rights, then they should be able to buy a gun if they have no criminal record.
So you’d need some kind of registration system to alert the authorities when a flagged person buys a gun then? Is that right?

No, it would be on the same system as the one we have when buying a gun. Except it would not restrict the dealership from selling the gun, but an alert would go out to local authorities that a red-tagged person did purchase a firearm.
That’s gonna be great until somebody who was flagged buys a gun and then uses it to kill people and then authorities are going to be asked why a flagged person was allowed to buy a gun. Different story when theres blood on the ground

If the authorities are immediately alerted, perhaps they can keep an eye on the person or have a detective follow him around so that doesn't happen. When this Parkland kid made internet threats, all the FBI did was alert the school and nothing more. Apparently the school didn't take it seriously enough.

If we start taking away constitutional rights based on what "we think" somebody might do, that sets an awful precedent for other rights in the future.

Focus on it.....instead of always focusing on taking guns and magazines away from people who don't use them for crime.
Focus on it? Ok I’m focusing. I’m not seeing what’s going to instigate change though. Any other ideas?
and i don't see how limiting mag capacity is going to stop someone from finding a way to create damage. all this "but it stands to reason..." is people thinking out loud because they can't PROVE the actions they would take would work. so you keep saying "well at least we did something!"

yet when it doesn't work you want to do something else, usually around greater regulation OF WHICH isn't working as planned so doing "something" is a bad path.
People will always be able to inflict damage if they want to. I never suggested that regulating guns would stop all gun violence. It’s one element of a larger problem that I’m open to debate. Not an end all be all solution
F1 race cars and buying guns at 7-11 isn't debating. its lobbing out bullshit to keep FROM debating.
No it’s not to keep from debate, both those examples draw consensus as we both agree that machine guns shouldn't be sold at 711 and F1 cars shouldn't be on our roads. That’s called common ground that justifies regulation as a useful tool.

You said you don’t understand how limiting mag capacity would stop damage. You digressed to an absolutist argument. Of course it won’t stop damage but it would reduce it. so I brought up the levels that exist in regulation, firepower, and damage control... that’s a fair argument

And you were shown research that shows magazines do not impact the deaths in mass public shootings...and ignore us when we tell you that the free time a shooter has before someone with a gun makes him stop is the issue.......

It isn't about limiting deaths in mass shootings...it is making the handguns that carry more than 10 rounds illegal without having to take a vote to do it.

They had all they needed to put the kid into jail or treatment....how did that work out? The kid should have been kept from having guns because he should have had an arrest record.....but because of obama's Promise Program and the left wing desire to not stigmatize young criminals with actual criminal records, he got the gun....how is that going to change by going after actual normal people who own guns?
I don’t want to go after normal people. I want a better background check and enforcement system so when people like that get flagged something is done. The current system needs to be much better... sounds like you agree

Half the time it's the normal people you have to worry about that will commit a mass murder.

True. But the government sees them as normal enough to allow them to purchase firearms.
Boom, there’s a problem that we can work on. How do we make that better and flag high risk people so we can not allow them to buy guns?

How about we Red Flag convicted felons...oh, yeah, the democrats voted that down. Why did they do that?

Well the 3 others I’ve been talking to on this thread think otherwise and use the parkland kid as an example of somebody who should have been stopped from buying a gun. So yes I think it can be done

If that's put into law, fine. But as far as Parkland kid goes, he should have been watched carefully which didn't happen.

In order to preserve our freedom and stay within the bounds of the Constitution, red tag laws should not stop somebody from buying a gun, but alert authorities when somebody has. Because until somebody actually breaks a law that would preclude them from exercising their rights, then they should be able to buy a gun if they have no criminal record.
So you’d need some kind of registration system to alert the authorities when a flagged person buys a gun then? Is that right?

We already have it, it is called being a convicted criminal. We also have it for the dangerously mentally ill...that is already part of the system...what else do you have?

I don’t want to go after normal people. I want a better background check and enforcement system so when people like that get flagged something is done. The current system needs to be much better... sounds like you agree

How about we Red Flag convicted felons...oh, yeah, the democrats voted that down. Why did they do that?

I would assume for the same reason they refuse to go along with red flagging gang members. But then again, many of them are from South America who will be voters in the future.

Ask them

We already have it, it is called being a convicted criminal. We also have it for the dangerously mentally ill...that is already part of the system...what else do you have?
Parkland kid wasn’t a convicted felon... did you find anything that you think he should of had a felony for? You dropped out of the convo when we got to that point. Wanna try again?

Parkland kid wasn’t a convicted felon... did you find anything that you think he should of had a felony for? You dropped out of the convo when we got to that point. Wanna try again?

Wouldn't take a felony.....had he been sent to a mental health facility...which his behavior should have warranted......that would have flagged him too....domestic abuse is also a flag on current background checks.

Wouldn't take a felony.....had he been sent to a mental health facility...which his behavior should have warranted......that would have flagged him too....domestic abuse is also a flag on current background checks.
The cops that responded to the domestic call didn’t think they had enough to do anything. Were they wrong? Should they be punished?

The cops that responded to the domestic call didn’t think they had enough to do anything. Were they wrong? Should they be punished?

The police can only enforce the laws on the books. However there are reports of him holding a gun against his brothers head, and also threatening messages on FaceBook on several occasions. An FBI agent should have been following him around 24/7.

They had a policy...the "Promise Program" that encouraged the local cops to not make arrests.....

And you know what......again...

Mass public shootings in 2018..... 12...total dead, 93.

You do not get to take away millions of legal weapons and magazines based on 93 deaths when cars kill over 38,000 people every single year....and knives kill over 1,500....

You can nitpick Parkland all you want....but no matter how he got the gun no matter how incompetent the cops and school were, 18 million AR-15s in private hands and even more magazines are not the problem and the solution isn't banning them.

So let's stop dancing around that point.

Come on man, I'm not going to play that game with you.
39 times.
If you can't figure it out then it's you, not me.
Doesn’t sound like you care about specifics. 39 means nothing without context. What if they just needed help getting their cat out of a tree 39 times? We already nailed down a violent act. He pushed his mom, there is a report on it. Cops said they didn’t have enough for an arrest. Should they be punished for not doing their job? Does a new protocol need to be put in place?
It wasn't for getting their cat out of the tree. Look it up for yourself, or actually clickn on a link someone has posted... Because you seem to be real adverae to that. There's a link posted several post back... Not one of them for a cat up a tree. Better yet, do the google search and read up on why law enforcement were called out tonwhere he resided 39 times and learn thatbit was just the Broward county sheriffs office that responded 39 times for dv complaints... And you wonder why folks get fed up with your line of thinking. You spew fallacious arguments just to see what kind of response you can get and then spin things to get an emotional response to be able to say whatever you want. You don't want honest debate or middle ground compromise, muchless understanding, you want to prove your emotional point as selfrightous and virtuoustic.
I was being facetious about the cat in the tree. I have read those links and the kid pushing his mom seems to be the worst of the offenses. Which is the incident that I brought up, byw. I’m not avoiding anything. I’ve been asking you for specifics but going back to 39 times isn’t really telling me anything.
neither was "so we need to arrest 2 kids fighting and never let them buy guns".
That’s not what I said. But it is a valid question to ask whether both brothers should be banned from buying guns and for how long
it's what you were going after. you tend to go WAY OUT THERE as if it's a normal situation. for someone who says they try to stay centric, you sure do go to extremes to either be cute, or think you're proving a point. i just got tired of trying to figure out which.

It wasn't for getting their cat out of the tree. Look it up for yourself, or actually clickn on a link someone has posted... Because you seem to be real adverae to that. There's a link posted several post back... Not one of them for a cat up a tree. Better yet, do the google search and read up on why law enforcement were called out tonwhere he resided 39 times and learn thatbit was just the Broward county sheriffs office that responded 39 times for dv complaints... And you wonder why folks get fed up with your line of thinking. You spew fallacious arguments just to see what kind of response you can get and then spin things to get an emotional response to be able to say whatever you want. You don't want honest debate or middle ground compromise, muchless understanding, you want to prove your emotional point as selfrightous and virtuoustic.
I was being facetious about the cat in the tree. I have read those links and the kid pushing his mom seems to be the worst of the offenses. Which is the incident that I brought up, byw. I’m not avoiding anything. I’ve been asking you for specifics but going back to 39 times isn’t really telling me anything.
That’s not what I said. But it is a valid question to ask whether both brothers should be banned from buying guns and for how long
you jump around a lot on your emotional roller coaster so it's hard to keep up. F1 race cars, 7-11 nukes, dog and cats fighting in the streets.

your desire to to max-emo makes even TRYING to have a straight forward discussion near impossible.

and comparing 39 red flags from the parkland shooter to 2 kids fighting is 200% idiotic.
Those aren’t emotional arguments. They go straight to the point. But those points must have gone right over your head because you keep mischaracterizing them. I’ve lost interest in explaining it to you. Call me a crazy liberal of you must. I really dont care
hey - i was apathetic before you were!

and no - i got them. i got them 18 times ago when you did them and i said "stop trying to normalize the extremes" but you didn't. but whatever.

Doesn’t sound like you care about specifics. 39 means nothing without context. What if they just needed help getting their cat out of a tree 39 times? We already nailed down a violent act. He pushed his mom, there is a report on it. Cops said they didn’t have enough for an arrest. Should they be punished for not doing their job? Does a new protocol need to be put in place?
it's what you were going after. you tend to go WAY OUT THERE as if it's a normal situation. for someone who says they try to stay centric, you sure do go to extremes to either be cute, or think you're proving a point. i just got tired of trying to figure out which.
I don’t mean to suggest they are normal situations the are extreme situations to make the point I’m trying to make painfully clear. It’s effective with clarifying boundary’s and defining concepts that I’m trying to communicate. I wasn’t trying to piss you off. That’s how I think

I don’t mean to suggest they are normal situations the are extreme situations to make the point I’m trying to make painfully clear. It’s effective with clarifying boundary’s and defining concepts that I’m trying to communicate. I wasn’t trying to piss you off. That’s how I think
didn't piss me off - just got old to keep going back to vast extremes when we're trying to pin down why you want to regulate mag capacity. it's like you were avoiding giving a simple answer.

i wanted to equate suggestions to the goal. you are ok with "well we did SOMETHING" of which i think is bullshit. if doing "something" doesn't fix it, then you do "something else". in this case, MORE regulation.

when do we stop going "well we did SOMETHING" and sit the fuck down and figure out what we can do that doesn't violate the constitution? all these mythical extremes you go to are chatter, to me, to avoid addressing why we don't fix this and are ok with "well we did something".

didn't piss me off - just got old to keep going back to vast extremes when we're trying to pin down why you want to regulate mag capacity. it's like you were avoiding giving a simple answer.

i wanted to equate suggestions to the goal. you are ok with "well we did SOMETHING" of which i think is bullshit. if doing "something" doesn't fix it, then you do "something else". in this case, MORE regulation.

when do we stop going "well we did SOMETHING" and sit the fuck down and figure out what we can do that doesn't violate the constitution? all these mythical extremes you go to are chatter, to me, to avoid addressing why we don't fix this and are ok with "well we did something".
If I’m being completely honest I have more issues with regulations than I show when I debate on this board. I usually pick a side and then argue that position. My hope is to bring out as many arguments from both sides as possible to get a wide variety of perspectives.

Personally I have concerns with cost, implementation, effectiveness and the many different “what ifs” that complicate regulatory ideas. They usually sound good in theory but turn out quite different when it comes to implementation.

Vets with PTSD is particularly a sticky issue. Do you take their guns away? If so, does that discourage some of them from getting much needed help?

Like I said, this is not an easy situation and there are many moving parts. I personally wouldn’t propose a lot of regulation. I could see myself giving a yes vote to some things like limited mags and equipment that seem to hold an unnecessary amount of destructive power. I’m honestly not super passionate about the issue... mental health is a bigger one in my book

great. enforce the laws we have. that would be something also.
Excellent idea, how do we do better at that?

Focus on it.....instead of always focusing on taking guns and magazines away from people who don't use them for crime.
Focus on it? Ok I’m focusing. I’m not seeing what’s going to instigate change though. Any other ideas?
Lol
Legislating with emotion solves nothing
I disagree. Passion and emotion is great behind legislating as long as there is good logic and reason involved
Lol
No such thing as logic in political correctness

Lol
Shit happens

Forum List

Back