Sequestration: Blame goes to GOP

Careful, you're going to get dizzy with all of that spinning. Obama's team suggested it. He signed it. You know, I learned about 35 years ago as a teenager that you'd better be ready, willing and able to back up your threats and to be careful what you ask for because you might get it. You'd think a man elected to the highest office in the land and the most powerful position in the world would already know these life lessons. Barack (not ready for primetime) Obama does not. He is reaping what he has sown......no matter how much the MSM and his supporters try to deny it.

JAY CARNEY: What I will concede is that we were looking and the Republicans were looking for a trigger around which to build a mechanism to get us out of default possibility and the sequester was one of the idea put forward, yes by the president's team. (Special Report, February 12, 2013)

Jay Carney Admits Sequester Was The President's Idea | RealClearPolitics

Thank you for manning up and admitting the truth.........Obama owns the sequester. Now he needs to shut the hell up with all the fear mongering or act like the leader he's supposed to be and propose something better than his original idea.

The PowerPoint That Proves It’s Not Obama’s Sequester After All

by John Avlon Feb 20, 2013 4:45 AM EST
Republicans have taken to calling the deep cuts that could reverse our hard-won economic recovery ‘Obama’s Sequester.’ But a July 2011 PowerPoint obtained by John Avlon shows the opposite may be true.

Democrats want Congress to come back and stop ‘sequester’

Pentagon issues furlough notice as ‘sequester’ budget cuts loom

My understanding of sequestration (which I now hear conservatives en masse blaming on Obama as HIS idea) is that it was supposed to be SO unpalatable that it would force both sides to work together on a compromise. It's not working out that way. And NOW, the prevailing mantra seems to be which side can more successfully blame the other for the harm the sequestration will cause. Here we are 3 1/2 months after the election and 1 month after the inauguration, and that's all it seems to come down to as far as the two sides are concerned; who can manage to leverage the political advantage of blame and lay it on the doorstep of the other side, regardless of the truth (or lack thereof) involved.

These men (mostly) are like little children acting out their worst impulses without any fear of parental punishment. MY prescription is that Americans should start to vote the old guard en masse out of office. Primary these jokers! Vote for the opposition! Hell, they don't want to lose their cushy jobs. And if the NEXT crop of legislators are equally childish, vote THEM out of office two years later.

Then, and ONLY then, will you see them straighten up and fly right.

Republicans have taken to calling the deep cuts that could reverse our hard-won economic recovery ‘Obama’s Sequester.’ But a July 2011 PowerPoint obtained by John Avlon shows the opposite may be true.

As my wife and I sat down to our first cup of coffee this morning we discussed the looming sequester and agreed that the first thing Obama and his Bots. would do would be to look for a way to try and blame the GOP for it. You guys are so predictable.

Considering that Obama keeps asking the GOP-led House to substitute a bill with targeted cuts etc, and the GOP refuses, it's not a hard sell.

Alas, just like I stated in my previous post, both sides are going to make an argument that the other side is to blame (or at least, primarily to blame) ala the gov't shut down of the 90's. As I recall, that didn't work out too well for Newt and the GOP.

But even if the GOP does get most of the blame, I'm frankly sick of all this candy ass nonsense. For one, it doesn't do the country any good. And for another thing, nobody seems to learn from the mistakes. They'll just blunder into the next 'created' crisis, thinking that they can leverage it into political advantage.

It's childish. We deserve better than that. ALL of us, regardless of political affiliation, deserve better from our representatives than these childish games. This is NOT how to run a great country.

Obama is the POTUS. His job is to lead. He suggested the sequester...
:lol:

So now the GOP led Congress is going to say they have no power and have to do everything Obama suggests?

:thewave:

Why is it the first thing a liberal thinks of when faced with mandatory spending cuts is that instead they need to soak the rich for more revenue? How many times do you think you can go to that well before the economy is negatively impacted? How many new businesses will not be opened, or existing businesses not expanded? How many will move part or all of their companies offshore, or close al together cuz the ROI isn't good enough? How many rich guys will say screw this, I'm investing my money elsewhere? Gotta say, this ain't the way to get a sluggish economy growing.

Stop shilling for the wealthy elites. These are loopholes that only the wealthy get.

Let's get something straight first off, I don't give a damn about the wealthy elites. They certainly don't need my help to take care of themselves, I'm more concerned with the effects of tax hikes on them or anyone else.

These loopholes, they ain't only for the wealthy. For the past 30 years or so I've been able to take a mortgage deduction and I've never been close to rich. Do you think deductions for charitable donations are a bad thing? Question: what do you think will happen when you close off all these loopholes?

What is up with the alarmist bs? Most wealthy elites do not create jobs. This isn't about the economy for the GOP, it's about Obama and the Democrats kicking GOP butt last election. Sequestration is GOP electioneering:evil:

Alarmist? Seriously? Obama and the dems talk about police and firefighters and EM first responders losing their jobs, teachers getting laid off and kids not getting a decent education, and all sorts of other personal calamities. Where's the talk about the wasted money on high speed rail and the alternative energy companies that are not economically viable and are going out of business every 5 minutes? Why don't we get the $85 billion in this years' sequestration cuts there? What, we can't find better places to cut than the disingenuous crap we heard from Obama yesterday?

If the GOP wants cuts to programs let them name the cuts? Obama wanted taxes raise and he named the taxes he wanted raised. Why won't the GOP just be honest and open with the American people, and name the cuts they would hold America hostage for?

Why should we raise taxes again when we already did, to the tune of some $600 billion? I thought we were supposed to be balanced, but so far what I hear is the taxes outweigh the spending cuts by 46 to 1, where's the balance in that? Obama and the democrats talk all the time about reducing the deficits, but they cannot bring themselves to cut anything from the budget or reform the entitlement programs to make less expensive and more sustanable.

Obama wanted taxes on wealthy elites raised. He ran on it.

Now the GOP has to name the programs they want cut. Why can't the GOP be honest and open with the American people and just name the cuts they so desperately want so that the super wealthy can keep their special tax exemptions?

Democrats want revenue and won't give in on spending cuts and its the republicans fault....
Nice try...

"Obama has said he wants Congress to end tax loopholes enjoyed mainly by the wealthy to buy lawmakers enough time to pass a budget but Republicans are insisting on deeper spending cuts to reduce the $16 trillion national debt."

What is wrong with closing loopholes for the wealthy? Fair or not, it only makes it look like (or for some people it validates the argument), the GOP is shilling for the wealthy elites.

If the GOP wants cuts to programs let them name the cuts? Obama wanted taxes raise and he named the taxes he wanted raised. Why won't the GOP just be honest and open with the American people, and name the cuts they would hold America hostage for?

The latest game makes it look like they really want to force sequestration, while denying it is what they want to do. This way they get cuts without naming which ones they wanted. They are hedging bets -- betting against the American people, and betting that both parties and the President will share blame with the GOP.

This isn't governing, it's electioneering.:eusa_hand:

Dante
:cool:
dD

"Obama has said he wants Congress to end tax loopholes enjoyed mainly by the wealthy to buy lawmakers enough time to pass a budget but Republicans are insisting on deeper spending cuts to reduce the $16 trillion national debt."

What is wrong with closing loopholes for the wealthy? Fair or not, it only makes it look like (or for some people it validates the argument), the GOP is shilling for the wealthy elites.

The latest game makes it look like they really want to force sequestration, while denying it is what they want to do. This way they get cuts without naming which ones they wanted. They are hedging bets -- betting against the American people, and betting that both parties and the President will share blame with the GOP.

John Boehner on the sequester:

"When you look at this final agreement that we came to with the White House, I got 98 percent of what I wanted. I'm pretty happy," Boehner said

Boehner: I got ?98 percent? of what I wanted in debt deal - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room

The other two percent belongs to Obama. That's where all the problems will come from. Ask the Republicans.

Last edited:
Stop shilling for the wealthy elites. These are loopholes that only the wealthy get.

Let's get something straight first off, I don't give a damn about the wealthy elites. They certainly don't need my help to take care of themselves, I'm more concerned with the effects of tax hikes on them or anyone else.

These loopholes, they ain't only for the wealthy. For the past 30 years or so I've been able to take a mortgage deduction and I've never been close to rich. Do you think deductions for charitable donations are a bad thing? Question: what do you think will happen when you close off all these loopholes?

What is up with the alarmist bs? Most wealthy elites do not create jobs. This isn't about the economy for the GOP, it's about Obama and the Democrats kicking GOP butt last election. Sequestration is GOP electioneering:evil:

Alarmist? Seriously? Obama and the dems talk about police and firefighters and EM first responders losing their jobs, teachers getting laid off and kids not getting a decent education, and all sorts of other personal calamities. Where's the talk about the wasted money on high speed rail and the alternative energy companies that are not economically viable and are going out of business every 5 minutes? Why don't we get the $85 billion in this years' sequestration cuts there? What, we can't find better places to cut than the disingenuous crap we heard from Obama yesterday?

Why should we raise taxes again when we already did, to the tune of some $600 billion? I thought we were supposed to be balanced, but so far what I hear is the taxes outweigh the spending cuts by 46 to 1, where's the balance in that? Obama and the democrats talk all the time about reducing the deficits, but they cannot bring themselves to cut anything from the budget or reform the entitlement programs to make less expensive and more sustanable.

Now the GOP has to name the programs they want cut. Why can't the GOP be honest and open with the American people and just name the cuts they so desperately want so that the super wealthy can keep their special tax exemptions?

I thought the repubs have been clear about wanting reforms to the entitlement programs to make them sustainable for our kids and grandkids. And I see no reason to link spending cuts to tax deductions and exemptions; 2 different subjects, you don't have to do both at once. And BTW, how about you tell me why back in december Obama didn't accept the GOP's tax reforms and cuts to the very same tax loopholes he cries about now.

I thought the repubs have been clear about wanting reforms to the entitlement programs to make them sustainable for our kids and grandkids. And I see no reason to link spending cuts to tax deductions and exemptions; 2 different subjects, you don't have to do both at once. And BTW, how about you tell me why back in december Obama didn't accept the GOP's tax reforms and cuts to the very same tax loopholes he cries about now.

Politics. World views on how government should function. Deal making: it's how the real world works. Just ask the framers of the US Constitution about making deals and actually campaigning for the ratification of things in the USC that they argued against in the convention.

Democracy is messy

Last edited:

Politics. World views on how government should function. Deal making: it's how the real world works. Just ask the framers of the US Constitution about making deals and actually campaigning for the ratification of things in the USC that they argued against in the convention.

Democracy is messy

Politics is right, Obama got his prized tax hikes on the rich by alllowing the Bush tax cuts to expire, and now the repubs are doing the same thing to get their spending cuts. Not a lot of difference between the two occurrences IMHO, neither will be positive for the economy. The sad part is that both sides could have worked out a deal and avoided this whole mess in the first place. And I do blame the repubs just as much as Obama and the dems.

Why is it the first thing a liberal thinks of when faced with mandatory spending cuts is that instead they need to soak the rich for more revenue? How many times do you think you can go to that well before the economy is negatively impacted? How many new businesses will not be opened, or existing businesses not expanded? How many will move part or all of their companies offshore, or close al together cuz the ROI isn't good enough? How many rich guys will say screw this, I'm investing my money elsewhere? Gotta say, this ain't the way to get a sluggish economy growing.

You hear that only because you allow yourself to be deceived by the GOP hate media echo chamber. To get that 46 to 1 ratio the deliberate deceivers took 10 YEARS of taxes and the 2 MONTHS of spending cuts approved to cover the extension of the fiscal cliff deadline from January 2013 to March 2013.

IOW, they took 100% of the taxes and compared it to 1/60 of the spending cuts and fed it to the gullible Misinformation Voter who swallow it whole and then parrot it in a public forum.

Dante
dD
Nope..ownership fully belongs to Obama.

Why can't you be honest for once?

Damn Dante... Did you get some sort of Obama memo telling you to instigate damage control? I guess Taxing the rich wasn't enough... Tough life being an Obama fluffer isn't it?

refute something instead of always dribbling diarrhea

refute something instead of always dribbling diarrhea

I and plenty of others on this forum have done that very thing
When it happens you become a whinny bitch.

Dante
dD
Nope..ownership fully belongs to Obama.

285616_227078024083843_1325745159_n_zps812e7885.png

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_paKxXLsenA]Boehner Christmas II - YouTube[/ame]

Dante
dD

You're right, it's not governing. It's not governing by the right, the left, or Obama.

You May Be Right, Mr. President, But This Is Crazy - NationalJournal.com

Forum List

Back