serious question on core Jewish belief

So then you think it's just a coincidence that the universe popped into existence being hardwired to produce intelligence
Who knows?

I'm going to put you in the it's just a coincidence camp.

Did you know that if the electron and proton were not exactly opposite in charge the universe could have been created exactly as it was but it would be impossible for life or intelligence to arise?

Now you are a physics guru. Ding you have no bounds.

Of course I have limits but I think this might be more chemistry related than physics but it would certainly impact physics. Because all the matter in the universe would be charged. Everything would either be positively charged or negatively charged. Since like charges repel one another, all the matter in the universe would repel all the other matter, and so the universe would expand, just as it is but it wouldn't do anything else. Even a slight difference in electric charge would be enough to overwhelm the forces of gravitation that bring matter together. There would be no planets, no stars, no galaxies -- and, worst of all, no you. :)

So are the electrical charges of electrons and protons just a coincidence too?

Creation is not important to me. It seems seems to be very important to you. It's as though your whole belief system is reliant on this dogma. You are like a dog with a bone.

Clearly it's not important to you. It seems that you would just as soon sweep it under the rug.

I think the answers to the origin questions are extremely important. Ancient man did too. That's why the Hebrews passed down their answers orally from generation to generation for thousands of years.

Personally I think the universe being created from nothing freaks the shit out of atheists.

So tell me about your out of body experience. Were you just BS'ing? Or did it actually happen?

Not exactly.. They borrowed myths from the old civilizations around them like Sumer, Egypt and the Canaanite pantheon.. Even Dilmun has thousands of clay tablets older than Genesis.

You mean from the practitioners of polytheism, right?

So then you think it's just a coincidence that the universe popped into existence being hardwired to produce intelligence
Who knows?

Did you know that if the electron and proton were not exactly opposite in charge the universe could have been created exactly as it was but it would be impossible for life or intelligence to arise?

Of course I have limits but I think this might be more chemistry related than physics but it would certainly impact physics. Because all the matter in the universe would be charged. Everything would either be positively charged or negatively charged. Since like charges repel one another, all the matter in the universe would repel all the other matter, and so the universe would expand, just as it is but it wouldn't do anything else. Even a slight difference in electric charge would be enough to overwhelm the forces of gravitation that bring matter together. There would be no planets, no stars, no galaxies -- and, worst of all, no you. :)

Creation is not important to me. It seems seems to be very important to you. It's as though your whole belief system is reliant on this dogma. You are like a dog with a bone.

Clearly it's not important to you. It seems that you would just as soon sweep it under the rug.

I think the answers to the origin questions are extremely important. Ancient man did too. That's why the Hebrews passed down their answers orally from generation to generation for thousands of years.

Personally I think the universe being created from nothing freaks the shit out of atheists.

So tell me about your out of body experience. Were you just BS'ing? Or did it actually happen?

Not exactly.. They borrowed myths from the old civilizations around them like Sumer, Egypt and the Canaanite pantheon.. Even Dilmun has thousands of clay tablets older than Genesis.

The story of Abraham and his descendents is found in the book of Genesis. We first meet him in Genesis chapter 11, although at this stage his name is Abram. There is very little biographical detail about him apart from the fact that he was a shepherd and came from Ur in Mesopotamia - modern day Iraq - after which he and his family moved, with his father Terah, to Haran.

This is a polytheistic age, an age when people believed in and worshipped many gods. Yet within this atmosphere, Abram answers the call of God and it is because of this that he accepts and realises the reality of there being only one true God.

In the Jewish tradition called Midrash (a Hebrew word which means 'interpretation' and relates to the way readings or biblical verses are understood), there are a number of stories about Abraham smashing his father's idols when he realises that there can be only one God of heaven and earth. It doesn't matter whether the stories are true or not. They acknowledge that Abraham was the first person to recognise and worship the one God. And so, monotheism was born.

Last edited:
Who knows?

Yes.. They split off from the north coast Canaanites and initially worshipped Baal, El and Ashtoreh. Monotheism didn't happen overnight like some lightening strike.. That's why you have references to the Nephilim in Genesis.

The story of Abraham and his descendents is found in the book of Genesis. We first meet him in Genesis chapter 11, although at this stage his name is Abram. There is very little biographical detail about him apart from the fact that he was a shepherd and came from Ur in Mesopotamia - modern day Iraq - after which he and his family moved, with his father Terah, to Haran.

This is a polytheistic age, an age when people believed in and worshipped many gods. Yet within this atmosphere, Abram answers the call of God and it is because of this that he accepts and realises the reality of there being only one true God.

In the Jewish tradition called Midrash (a Hebrew word which means 'interpretation' and relates to the way readings or biblical verses are understood), there are a number of stories about Abraham smashing his father's idols when he realises that there can be only one God of heaven and earth. It doesn't matter whether the stories are true or not. They acknowledge that Abraham was the first person to recognise and worship the one God. And so, monotheism was born.

There was NO Ur of the Chaldeans in Abraham's time. He was from Urfa near Haran.

"We’ve been seeing that term “particularism” quite often this month. At its root, it refers to the core Jewish belief that the Creator of the Universe also has a special and unique relationship with His chosen people." -Mosaic Magazine

Q1 - How could a universal God have a chosen people? If God has a chosen people, He isn't universal. If universal, can't have a chosen people because He stands in a different relationship to some, i.e., is a different kind of God.

Q2 - How is chosen-people-ism different from white supremacy?
Chosen for what?
Be precise.

Who knows?

The Genesis creation narrative is the creation myth[a] of both Judaism and Christianity.[2] The narrative is made up of two stories, roughly equivalent to the first two chapters of the Book of Genesis. In the first, Elohim (the Hebrew generic word for God) creates the heavens and the Earth, the animals, and mankind in six days, then rests on, blesses and sanctifies the seventh (i.e. the Biblical Sabbath). In the second story, God, now referred to by the personal name Yahweh, creates Adam, the first man, from dust and places him in the Garden of Eden, where he is given dominion over the animals. Eve, the first woman, is created from Adam and as his companion.

It expounds themes parallel to those in Mesopotamian mythology, emphasizing the Israelite people's belief in one God.[3] The first major comprehensive draft of the Pentateuch (the series of five books which begins with Genesis and ends with Deuteronomy) was composed in the late 7th or the 6th century BCE (the Jahwist source) and was later expanded by other authors (the Priestly source) into a work very like Genesis as known today.[4] The two sources can be identified in the creation narrative: Priestly and Jahwistic.[5] The combined narrative is a critique of the Mesopotamian theology of creation: Genesis affirms monotheism and denies polytheism.[6] Robert Alter described the combined narrative as "compelling in its archetypal character, its adaptation of myth to monotheistic ends".[7]

"We’ve been seeing that term “particularism” quite often this month. At its root, it refers to the core Jewish belief that the Creator of the Universe also has a special and unique relationship with His chosen people." -Mosaic Magazine

Q1 - How could a universal God have a chosen people? If God has a chosen people, He isn't universal. If universal, can't have a chosen people because He stands in a different relationship to some, i.e., is a different kind of God.

How could only people who believe a Jewish rabbi is g-d be the only people to get into heaven?
You've got to be one of the stupidest people on earth.
Show me where the Rabbi is God.
Show me where Tanach states that only Jews have an afterlife.

The Torah is abundantly clear that being God's "Chosen People" is not the basis of special favors or immunity from the consequences on their actions. They were punished time after time, even at times directly by g-d, which clearly demonstrates that there is no great benefit to being the Chosen People.

God chose the Jews to be the vehicle by which the divine message is conveyed to mankind, through the Torah.

If they were chosen because of their "supremacy," it was merely their demonstrated talent for communication, which continues to this day. Unfortunately, many if not most of the remaining "sons of Abraham" have forgotten the Message that they were commissioned to convey.
If the sacred texts were divinely inspired, then it is not the people's "talent for communication." Nevertheless, merely claiming specialness renders the God from whom it is claimed non-universal, i.e., not the Creator of the universe. To believe otherwise is supremacist.
God made the statement, not the Children of Israel.

How could only people who believe a Jewish rabbi is g-d be the only people to get into heaven?
You've got to be one of the stupidest people on earth.
Show me where the Rabbi is God.
Show me where Tanach states that only Jews have an afterlife.
She's talking about Jesus and Christians.

At its root, it refers to the core Jewish belief that the Creator of the Universe also has a special and unique relationship with His chosen people."
According to scripture and Jewish tradition, God wished to have a people who placed themselves apart from others to live by a more austere code than other nations. The rest of us could live by a more relaxed code of our own choosing. God wasn't abandoning either group.
Why would any universal God demand what is, frankly, xenophobia from just one tribe (and the enslavement or genocide of all the others?) It is the opposite of a universal God. It is a tribal god and a particularly blood-thirsty one.
Provide a quote from Tanach.

Who knows?

Yes.. They split off from the north coast Canaanites and initially worshipped Baal, El and Ashtoreh. Monotheism didn't happen overnight like some lightening strike.. That's why you have references to the Nephilim in Genesis.

My point is that it did happen and that there is a vast difference in monotheism and polytheism when it comes to God's involvement in the affairs of nature and man. A distinction which seems to be lost on you.

There was NO Ur of the Chaldeans in Abraham's time. He was from Urfa near Haran.
And what does that have to do with anything?

Ur of the Chaldeans

Do you know what this means?

Who knows?

My point is that it did happen and that there is a vast difference in monotheism and polytheism when it comes to God's involvement in the affairs of nature and man. A distinction which seems to be lost on you.

Don't be insulting. I know the difference. Why do you think over 4,000 clay statues to Ashtoreh have been found in Jerusalem? It didn't happen all at once and there was a lot of backsliding. Remember the Golden Calf or the Bronze Serpent?

There were two versions of Genesis one for Israel and one for Judah. They were combined sometime during the rule of the Omris.

Ur of the Chaldeans

Not sure she does but she needs to contact the BBC and tell them what they publish is inaccurate :rolleyes:

Ur of the Chaldeans

Not sure she does but she needs to contact the BBC and tell them what they publish is inaccurate :rolleyes:
She gets her facts from FuckTheJews.org

Ur of the Chaldeans

Yep and it didn't exist during Abraham's time. See the geology. Further, the cities of the plain were long gone before Abraham and Lot.

Forum List

Back