she was considered one of America’s most beloved senators. Today, she is the most reviled. Susan Collins' approval among Maine women under 50 is 25%

Care4all

comments, please?
I voted for her in 2008 and 2014.....

Although I am Democrat, she was looking out for Mainers first and that was good enough for me....even if on some issues, we differed.

I'm uncertain on how I will vote, on her come November....

She does seem to be in Mitch' s pocket on everything now, first looking like she cared about Mainers, but then on key issues for Mainers, she's gone with Mitch and not us...

I think she's had a tough road playing like she's independent of the GOP/Mitch since senator Snowe retired.... And has made some stupid decisions and comments that have pissed Mainers off.... she had to go with Mitch, so they wouldn't primary her.... which was gutless.

She did promise when first elected, to only serve two terms.... she's at 4 or so terms now.... maybe it is time for her to leave....? I just don't think she will make it, this time.... she really made Mainers mad on the humongous tax reduction on corporations that were permanent, while the tax cuts for every day Mainers were piddly and temporary.....

Just curious, how do you compare her to King? First, did you vote for him as well? Also, who is more independent from the party they caucus with?

Imo her fate rests with Trump's in Maine. Hillary took 3 of the EV to Trump's 1. Her votes for McConnell's tax cuts and Kavanaugh have put her squarely in line with Trump.

And Kavanaugh was diametrically opposed to Collins support for Roe prior to Trump. The late breaking charges of assault increased the level of "outrage" but the fact was that she changed her position on abortion to vote for him.

Care4all

comments, please?

Although I am Democrat, she was looking out for Mainers first and that was good enough for me....even if on some issues, we differed.

She does seem to be in Mitch' s pocket on everything now, first looking like she cared about Mainers, but then on key issues for Mainers, she's gone with Mitch and not us...

I think she's had a tough road playing like she's independent of the GOP/Mitch since senator Snowe retired.... And has made some stupid decisions and comments that have pissed Mainers off.... she had to go with Mitch, so they wouldn't primary her.... which was gutless.

She did promise when first elected, to only serve two terms.... she's at 4 or so terms now.... maybe it is time for her to leave....? I just don't think she will make it, this time.... she really made Mainers mad on the humongous tax reduction on corporations that were permanent, while the tax cuts for every day Mainers were piddly and temporary.....

Just curious, how do you compare her to King? First, did you vote for him as well? Also, who is more independent from the party they caucus with?
I was mad at King, for previously entering the Maine governor's race as an independent, splitting the democratic candidate's vote, and our asshole governor's reelection was the result... so he did not get my vote when he ran for Senator to replace Snowe out of spite! :D

NOW, I really like Angus King.... he's level headed.... and usually votes in ways that I would or could support.... so, yeah, I support him, more than Collins....but I was fine with Collins for over a decade.

Democrats’ 3 best pickup opportunities (spoiler) are Maine, Colorado, and Arizona. Where’s the 4th? has been the question looming over the Senate puzzle this whole time. We now appear to have an answer: It’s in North Carolina, where Dems invented a specimen named “Cal Cunningham” (troop, lawyer, dad!) to take on incumbent Thom Tillis, whom voters dislike.

Next to his own race, reelecting Collins will be Moscow Mitch McConnell’s top priority after the risk she took on Kavanaugh. She won’t lack for funds.

Democrats’ 3 best pickup opportunities (spoiler) are Maine, Colorado, and Arizona. Where’s the 4th? has been the question looming over the Senate puzzle this whole time. We now appear to have an answer: It’s in North Carolina, where Dems invented a specimen named “Cal Cunningham” (troop, lawyer, dad!) to take on incumbent Thom Tillis, whom voters dislike.

the senate only needs 4 (D)s to take the majority. i'm still thinking amy mcgrath has a shot in KY to usurp turtleboy.

the senate only needs 4 (D)s to take the majority. i'm still thinking amy mcgrath has a shot in KY to usurp turtleboy.
Be interesting to see

Mitch hasn’t really been voting in the interests of his constituents

Donate to her!!! I need to do it too! :)

Donate to her!!! I need to do it too! :)

i already do. i'm also donating to jaime harrison in SC who's running against ms lindsey & i also am supporting mark kelly in AZ.

RINO's stand in the middle of the road and get run over by both lanes of traffic.
If they play it right, they can control the vote and demand favors depending on which side they vote

i dont think she's gonna make it!

Great article, basque. My girl's in trouble. As an independent, I have no problem with Susan Collins voting as a Republican, since she IS a Republican. Being a centrist, someone who works hard at building consensus and compromise, and telling Trump to fuck off in the Washington Post, is enough for me. I admire that. I admire that she has never missed a vote in 24 years. She is an expert in healthcare systems and how they function. She is pro choice. If she has voted with her party much more recently, I think it is because she agrees those proposals are best for Maine. I do NOT agree with all her choices, but a politician with her ladylike ways and her expertise and her get 'er done attitude, bringing both sides of the aisle together to end the shutdown in Obama's day, for instance--those things matter more. They need to be rewarded, imo.

The New Yorker recently satirized her for taking hours of deep reflection before deciding to order whatever Mitch McConnell is having for lunch. LOL okay, that's funny.

Last edited:
She is a RINO.

If it wasn't for her and another RINO that filthy ass Obamacare bill would have never passed the Senate Cloture vote.

Piss on her. She might as be a Democrat.

Both Collins and Snowe voted against ObamaCare
And look at it now. If I'd known what a shitshow it was going to turn into, I would have been opposed to it, too. Collins' expertise is in healthcare systems. She saw what was coming down the pike.

Care4all

comments, please?

I was mad at King, for previously entering the Maine governor's race as an independent, splitting the democratic candidate's vote, and our asshole governor's reelection was the result... so he did not get my vote when he ran for Senator to replace Snowe out of spite! :D

NOW, I really like Angus King.... he's level headed.... and usually votes in ways that I would or could support.... so, yeah, I support him, more than Collins....but I was fine with Collins for over a decade.

Ah, so that's how LePage kept his job.

Care4all

comments, please?

No, King didn't run against LePage. Must have been another asshole governor.

Care4all

comments, please?

No, King didn't run against LePage. Must have been another asshole governor.
hmmm...... let me look up what I was thinking again.... brb!

Forum List

Back