Shiva vs. Once-ler: Ecology

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
This is a mock-dialogue between Shiva (Hindu god of destruction) and a deranging Devil's Advocate named 'The Once-ler' (a fictional 'eco-philosopher' from the eco-paranoia story The Lorax) about ecology-based 'civilization hygiene' relevant to our modern world of industrial waste.

Cheers,

====

ONCE-LER: Wasting paper in the age of email is deranged...
SHIVA: Computer networking requires a great deal of electrical energy!
ONCE-LER: You can't manipulate electric-fields like God, but you should refrain from wasting paper...
SHIVA: I think about kids making paper-airplanes as an 'homage' to the wonder of modern email!
ONCE-LER: Wasting paper in the modern world is like exposing your body...
SHIVA: I'd rather sunbathe in a world that doesn't overuse electricity!
ONCE-LER: Using electricity is intelligent, but using paper is very 'basic.'
SHIVA: What about Valentine's Day cards made of paper (that's not 'basic')?
ONCE-LER: What do you propose, Lord Shiva?
SHIVA: If I were a Literature Professor at Yale University, I'd teach a course on writing...
ONCE-LER: Oh, that's interesting --- e.g., "Do writers prefer typing on laptops or writing on paper?"
SHIVA: Precisely! That would separate the ecological from the mechanical...
ONCE-LER: What about moral hygiene (wasted paper is dirty, while conserving electricity is 'shrewd')?
SHIVA: I think you can resolve such matters by buying and using paper from Kinko's!
ONCE-LER: I would never walk into a Kinko's wearing a bathing-suit (I'd be 'eco-embarrassed').
SHIVA: Repentance is the cure to gluttony...
ONCE-LER: Let's hope next summer, countless beach-goers texting on cell-phones decide to recycle paper!
SHIVA: Yes, then all the women would look much more beautiful (and sane).

====

duet8.jpg

Forum List

Back