Shocker: Americans Want to Choose Their Own Health Care

The increases in bronze plans going into this year are extremely modest. (Data on every single plan sold last year and every single plan sold this year for the 37 states using healthcare.gov is readily available--if you're good with Excel you can do some pretty easy comparisons of what's happened to premiums.)

The average bronze plan premium rose 2.5% this year. The median bronze premium went up 3.4%. The cheapest bronze plan available in a rating area rose, on average, 2.2%.

Of course, that's just a straight look across all the rating areas served by the 37 states using healthcare.gov. You could also weight those rating areas by their enrollment last year, so as to get a better sense of what most shoppers are experiencing.

If you do that, you find the weighted average premium increase for bronze plans is 1.4%. The median bronze is going up 0.1%. And the floor (the cheapest bronze in a rating area) is going up 6%.

This is compared to the pre-ACA norm of annual double digit increases in the individual market.

Sorry, the article I link in post 422 says that isn't the case.

I am always willing to admit that such data can be selective.

I could not see it in the article....does not mean it isn't there.

It empirically is the case. I just gave you the changes in the average premiums, median premiums, and lowest premiums for bronze plans across all 501 rating areas in the federal exchange. All of which can be calculated using the magic of Excel since the data sets are all readily available.

You're referencing an article that looked only at 16 of those 501 rating areas and looked only at changes in the lowest bronze plan.

Needless to say, all the numbers are out now and the picture is much more complete than what you're referencing. Bronze premiums are generally going up less than 3%.

(sigh) "Averages" lie.

Take the MOST populated plans and show how much THEY went up.

Cute your wrist faggot and go to the doc, that will prolly cost you a grand out of pocket now only do it five more times and obozo care would finally kick in

Yea it is becoming clearer and clearer you are 16 and don't pay for shit or like green a paid government hack

The increases in bronze plans going into this year are extremely modest. (Data on every single plan sold last year and every single plan sold this year for the 37 states using healthcare.gov is readily available--if you're good with Excel you can do some pretty easy comparisons of what's happened to premiums.)

The average bronze plan premium rose 2.5% this year. The median bronze premium went up 3.4%. The cheapest bronze plan available in a rating area rose, on average, 2.2%.

Of course, that's just a straight look across all the rating areas served by the 37 states using healthcare.gov. You could also weight those rating areas by their enrollment last year, so as to get a better sense of what most shoppers are experiencing.

If you do that, you find the weighted average premium increase for bronze plans is 1.4%. The median bronze is going up 0.1%. And the floor (the cheapest bronze in a rating area) is going up 6%.

This is compared to the pre-ACA norm of annual double digit increases in the individual market.

Sorry, the article I link in post 422 says that isn't the case.

I am always willing to admit that such data can be selective.

I could not see it in the article....does not mean it isn't there.

It empirically is the case. I just gave you the changes in the average premiums, median premiums, and lowest premiums for bronze plans across all 501 rating areas in the federal exchange. All of which can be calculated using the magic of Excel since the data sets are all readily available.

You're referencing an article that looked only at 16 of those 501 rating areas and looked only at changes in the lowest bronze plan.

Needless to say, all the numbers are out now and the picture is much more complete than what you're referencing. Bronze premiums are generally going up less than 3%.

While I've found you to be pretty straightforward.....does your analysis weight the individual contributions according to the census of those who utilize it ?

Didn't think of that, did you? Like all Americans, you get no good news about O-Care. On Fox, of course But I've NEVER seen a story on a person helped. Tell me about the librul media...idiot.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back