Shocking...providing gov't sponsored healthcare to everyone

Unfortunately,
I guess this topic wasn't going the way you wanted it to in the appropriate forum, so you started it again here.

Tennessee and Kentucky wanted those co-ops to fail. Can't expect primitive, backward states to care about their citizens.
The governor(TN) was trying to expand and he got outvoted. I wonder if that would have made it worse?
These states will eventually come begging to the feds...just as the same legislators in South Carolina who vetoed aid after Hurricane Sandy are now crying for help.

Add that to the long history of Red States = Taker States.
Red states are mostly Rural, right? But don't let the obvious get in your way.

That's the first time I've seen someone blame farm subsidies (they're usually sacrosanct), but the fact remains that the states that take more federal $ than they put in are always the first ones to bite the hand that feeds them.
I support farmer welfare to a point. But the point is still there. They get ALOT. Which explains ALOT.

It's funny how few people outside rural areas understand the amount of their tax dollars that goes to paying farmers (large agro co-ops) to not grow crops in order to keep prices inflated.

They're usually the same people howling about the genuinely poor ("people who are too lazy to work but are getting stuff that I'm paying for").

The ACA is better than the "system" (cough) we had before, but it's still a ridiculous pig of a law that retains the "system" (cough) of seven (7) different health care delivery/payment systems that don't directly coordinate with each other.

A complete expansion of the current Medicare/Medicare Advantage/Medicare Supplement system to all, instead of some absurd and arbitrary age 65 limit, would be the proper blending of public and private systems with no added coordination required.

But no, that would require open minds and cooperation from our "leaders" (cough), so it ain't gonna happen.
and what taxes would you put on all the people to pay for that?
he raised Billions already with OscamCare most on the uninsured which is our children mostly.
If business were not burdened with the direct and indirect costs of offering health insurance, if individuals were not burdened with the extra costs of paying for the health care of the uninsured, and since a majority of the health care costs in this country occur after age 65, I'm not too worried about that.

If your employer could give you a 12% raise (benefits usually cost them 15% to 20%), would you be willing to pay an extra 5% health care surcharge?

I'll betcha!

A lot of business got around it. They just cut their number of employees and shortened the hours of the ones they kept to less than 40 hours per week, hence the uptick in Obama's employment numbers because they are counting the part-time numbers.

The ACA is better than the "system" (cough) we had before, but it's still a ridiculous pig of a law that retains the "system" (cough) of seven (7) different health care delivery/payment systems that don't directly coordinate with each other.

A complete expansion of the current Medicare/Medicare Advantage/Medicare Supplement system to all, instead of some absurd and arbitrary age 65 limit, would be the proper blending of public and private systems with no added coordination required.

But no, that would require open minds and cooperation from our "leaders" (cough), so it ain't gonna happen.

Can anyone actually use their Obamacare? I don't have it but from many reports the deductibles are so high no one can really afford to use it. What's the story on that?
The deductible depends on which insurance company you choose, and which of those company's plans you choose.

(This assumes you understand that the PPACA is not an insurance company. Can you assure us of that?)

Can anyone actually use their Obamacare? I don't have it but from many reports the deductibles are so high no one can really afford to use it. What's the story on that?
The deductible depends on which insurance company you choose, and which of those company's plans you choose.

(This assumes you understand that the PPACA is not an insurance company. Can you assure us of that?)

So on average are most deductibles reasonable or not?

There are any number of subsidy calculators online, but this one from the Kaiser Foundation is pretty simple:

Subsidy Calculator Widget

Plug in your numbers and see what you get.

There are any number of subsidy calculators online, but this one from the Kaiser Foundation is pretty simple:

I did as you said. I'm not eligible.

At least you were willing to give it a try.

What you do have, though, is the knowledge that because of the legislation you'll never be turned down for a preexisting condition or find your coverage capped at some arbitrary point where (as in the past) the insurer decided "Oh, you need $10,000 worth of treatment per year? Well, we'll only cover $5,000, so fuck you!"

Yeah, most of the ACA plans have deductibles of $6,000+. Insanity. They do have just co-pays for doc visits and the like, but if any more involved services are required they're paying a lot out of pocket.

Maybe its time we only furnish health care based on science only to educated Americans, that would cut out wasting money on those that don't believe in science

Under my plan, normal educated Americans would receive health care at government expense just like what everyone receives in the counties with the highest quality health care systems. Christians and believers of other absurdities would automatically be placed on the Prayer Care Plan. This plan would not cost the government (or anyone else) anything at all. When believers got sick, they would pray for recovery. It's really that simple.This should be quite appealing to the large number of conservative Christians who oppose any step toward universal health care because it would save large sums of money. If they really believe in prayer, as they so often claim, then they would have nothing to worry about on the Prayer Care Plan. In fact, their health care should be better than that received by the rest of us!

Unfortunately
You know as well as I do that Christians are not going to be lining up for such a plan. They are not interested in opting out of their current health insurance or failing to seek medical treatment. The question is why. The seemingly inescapable answer is that most Christians do not believe what they so often claim to believe.

Does that mean all the money I've paid in taxes to subsidize your Obamacare premiums will be returned to me so that I can give it to the Church. Great. I'll go for that. When can I expect my check?

The money will go for new mental institutions to house you people :eusa_whistle:

When you got nothing......

Maybe its time we only furnish health care based on science only to educated Americans, that would cut out wasting money on those that don't believe in science

Under my plan, normal educated Americans would receive health care at government expense just like what everyone receives in the counties with the highest quality health care systems. Christians and believers of other absurdities would automatically be placed on the Prayer Care Plan. This plan would not cost the government (or anyone else) anything at all. When believers got sick, they would pray for recovery. It's really that simple.This should be quite appealing to the large number of conservative Christians who oppose any step toward universal health care because it would save large sums of money. If they really believe in prayer, as they so often claim, then they would have nothing to worry about on the Prayer Care Plan. In fact, their health care should be better than that received by the rest of us!

Unfortunately
You know as well as I do that Christians are not going to be lining up for such a plan. They are not interested in opting out of their current health insurance or failing to seek medical treatment. The question is why. The seemingly inescapable answer is that most Christians do not believe what they so often claim to believe.

Let your inner fascist out……if only you could send people who disagree with you to someplace where they could be concentrated….hmmmm…..

Yeah, most of the ACA plans have deductibles of $6,000+. Insanity. They do have just co-pays for doc visits and the like, but if any more involved services are required they're paying a lot out of pocket.

Really? That figure surprises me. Do you know offhand in what state(s) this is happening?

Really? That figure surprises me. Do you know offhand in what state(s) this is happening?
Most of them, as I understand it. You can buy down, in other words pay higher premiums for, lower deductibles. Which is as it used to be before the ACA.

This article goes into some detail: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/15/u...-affordable-care-act-to-increase-in-2015.html

So even with the subsidies, lower income people either pay higher premiums or higher deductibles. An expanded Medicare/Medicare Supplement/Medicare Advantage system would take care of all of that.

What you do have, though, is the knowledge that because of the legislation you'll never be turned down for a preexisting condition or find your coverage capped at some arbitrary point where (as in the past) the insurer decided "Oh, you need $10,000 worth of treatment per year? Well, we'll only cover $5,000, so fuck you!"

My question was simple and sincere though. One may have insurance and still not have insurance. I wanted to hear from someone who had an Obamacare policy to determine if they could actually use their insurance to see a doctor for common illnesses or injuries such as the flu, for a strep throat, a broken finger, etc., or was their deductible so outrageous that it prohibits their using their insurance. I am ineligible for an Obamacare policy and perhaps you are too but maybe someone on here actually has one and could present us with a real life experience.

Most of them, as I understand it. You can buy down, in other words pay higher premiums for, lower deductibles. Which is as it used to be before the ACA.

This article goes into some detail: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/15/u...-affordable-care-act-to-increase-in-2015.html

So even with the subsidies, lower income people either pay higher premiums or higher deductibles. An expanded Medicare/Medicare Supplement/Medicare Advantage system would take care of all of that.
And the states that weren't being stupid about it signed on for expanded Medicaid. The stupid ones figured they'd screw their citizens, then shrug and say "See? We told you Obamacare would suck" so that Congress's 473rd attempt to kill the PPACA would succeed. And if not, there's always attempt 474...

My question was simple and sincere though. One may have insurance and still not have insurance. I wanted to hear from someone who had an Obamacare policy to determine if they could actually use their insurance to see a doctor for common illnesses or injuries such as the flu, for a strep throat, a broken finger, etc., or was their deductible so outrageous that it prohibits their using their insurance. I am ineligible for an Obamacare policy and perhaps you are too but maybe someone on here actually has one and could present us with a real life experience.

The problem with presenting RL experiences on this board - if you've already indicated support for the PPACA - is you end up being called a liar by those who don't like their precious confirmation biases challenged. But you've yet to call me a liar, so without giving too much detail:

I was able to sign on to Blue Shield via my state exchange. The deductible for the new plan was the same as it had been on the old plan, but the premiums were lower. I'm pretty healthy, so I didn't blow through the deductible the first year, but I needed a trip to the ER in January, so that blew through the deductible for this year.

Had I not had insurance, that trip to the ER would have cost me $3,000+ more than it did. And there was no change in my premiums. (Prior to the PPACA, I could have expected a snippy little note from BS telling me my premiums were going up because I'd had the temerity to utilize their benefits.)

I'm an independent contractor. No Sugar Daddy employer gives me access to a group plan in lieu of a pay increase...I pay my own way. For people like me, i.e., people who sometimes work a seven-day week (in defiance of the moronic "lazy people who don't work" meme that's so prevalent around here), the PPACA works.

Well, one could always have Medicare. I'm elderly and I have Medicare. Medicare sets the limits for which medical providers may charge for all procedures. Folks on Medicare satisfy a deductible. My health insurance policy pays that Medicare deductible and no more. It also pays for my office visits. I do not owe anything at all above the Medicare limit for any medical procedure nor does my health insurance company have to pay anymore than the limit set by Medicare. It is excellent insurance and can be used to see a doctor for even common colds with no out-of-pocket.

That still doesn't tell me if someone who is not eligible for Medicare or Medicaid but has a standard Obamacare policy can see his/her doctor for a common cold without having to mortgage his/her home to pay a deductible.

The problem with presenting RL experiences on this board - if you've already indicated support for the PPACA - is you end up being called a liar by those who don't like their precious confirmation biases challenged. But you've yet to call me a liar, so without giving too much detail:

I was able to sign on to Blue Shield via my state exchange. The deductible for the new plan was the same as it had been on the old plan, but the premiums were lower. I'm pretty healthy, so I didn't blow through the deductible the first year, but I needed a trip to the ER in January, so that blew through the deductible for this year.

Had I not had insurance, that trip to the ER would have cost me $3,000+ more than it did. And there was no change in my premiums. (Prior to the PPACA, I could have expected a snippy little note from BS telling me my premiums were going up because I'd had the temerity to utilize their benefits.)

I'm an independent contractor. No Sugar Daddy employer gives me access to a group plan in lieu of a pay increase...I pay my own way. For people like me, i.e., people who sometimes work a seven-day week (in defiance of the moronic "lazy people who don't work" meme that's so prevalent around here), the PPACA works.

Thank you. That's the kind of information that is helpful.

Also, because I'm reasonably healthy, I opted for a Bronze Plan - high deductible/low premiums. If I had a chronic condition - let's say diabetes - I'd have opted for a Silver Plan - lower deductible/higher premiums.

You can tailor your plan to fit your needs.

Also, because I'm reasonably healthy, I opted for a Bronze Plan - high deductible/low premiums. If I had a chronic condition - let's say diabetes - I'd have opted for a Silver Plan - lower deductible/higher premiums.

You can tailor your plan to fit your needs.

Count your blessings. I thought I was healthy as a horse too back when I was younger. I awakened one morning with chest pains and had to have a triple bypass. I was only thirty-eight at the time. The bill for that one was roughly $100K. I had good insurance and it paid for it all except for the tv rental in my room.

Wow! Glad you're okay...and thanks for sharing that. It's not easy to do that here. :)

Forum List

Back