Should our laws allow authorities to charge this woman?

ASHEVILLE, N.C. -- When Christine Braswell found a man breaking into her SUV in a Walmart parking lot in North Carolina, she chased him. When the 26-year-old couldn't catch him, she jumped behind the wheel -- and what happened next is scary and disturbing to watch.

Editor's note: Video contains graphic content.

"She slammed on her brakes, crammed it in reverse, and ran over the median there in between and hit him in the back. I mean she, just he was running and she just flat hit him," said witness Janice Kelley.

Witnesses told WLOS the man who was hit was allegedly going through Braswell's belongings in her red-orange Ford Explorer.

"When I walked out of Walmart, he had her purse and was pulling all of her stuff out then me and my friend told him to put it down and what are you doing. She stopped and he ran off and then she came up behind him and hit him with her car," said witness Blake Bennett.

Asheville police told WLOS the man escaped with minor injuries. Police are charging Robert Raines with breaking and entering, larceny, and damage to property.

Braswell is facing an assault with a deadly weapon charge.

Pregnant woman runs over suspected purse thief in Walmart parking lot

Yes, it contains a video of the guy getting run over.

Now that Republicans have the power, perhaps it's time they write more laws for victims of crime. Much like they did with Concealed Carry laws in various states, law abiding citizens should have more rights than criminals.

This pregnant woman took off after a guy that robbed her of her purse. IMO, she had every right to stop him no matter how. Now she's being charged with assault with a deadly weapon.

If you were on a jury, how would you vote on this case, guilty or not guilty?

There was no imminent threat, she should have let to police handle it.

He would have gotten away.....but may have visited her late that night, raped her then slit her throat to shut her up.

How do you know he took anything, I didn't see anything in his hands when he was running. All you're doing is speculating.

Quoted article above. Again, the police will have to sort out the veracity of her claim.

ASHEVILLE, N.C. -- When Christine Braswell found a man breaking into her SUV in a Walmart parking lot in North Carolina, she chased him. When the 26-year-old couldn't catch him, she jumped behind the wheel -- and what happened next is scary and disturbing to watch.

"She slammed on her brakes, crammed it in reverse, and ran over the median there in between and hit him in the back. I mean she, just he was running and she just flat hit him," said witness Janice Kelley.

Witnesses told WLOS the man who was hit was allegedly going through Braswell's belongings in her red-orange Ford Explorer.

"When I walked out of Walmart, he had her purse and was pulling all of her stuff out then me and my friend told him to put it down and what are you doing. She stopped and he ran off and then she came up behind him and hit him with her car," said witness Blake Bennett.

Asheville police told WLOS the man escaped with minor injuries. Police are charging Robert Raines with breaking and entering, larceny, and damage to property.

Now that Republicans have the power, perhaps it's time they write more laws for victims of crime. Much like they did with Concealed Carry laws in various states, law abiding citizens should have more rights than criminals.

This pregnant woman took off after a guy that robbed her of her purse. IMO, she had every right to stop him no matter how. Now she's being charged with assault with a deadly weapon.

Everybody has the right to defend for themselves or their property. If she had let him run and just report it. She will never see her property ever again. And so she has the right to stop him by any means necessary. They probably will only give her a light sentence of two hours of community service. Try running off with a police officer's handgun and see what will happen to you.

Criminal justice system: Legal right to protect home without fear of prosecution | Daily Mail Online

You can't use deadly force to protect property . Only people .

Wrong answer, in TX you can shoot someone in the back, at night, if they are running away with your property. I don't think you can run them down with a truck though. From what I saw he didn't have any of her property and it was daylight.

Her claim was that he still had her purse. Nothing in the story contradicts her claim.

That doesn't alter the fact that the threat of physical harm to her was not present.

Not guilty. Let her walk. Criminals need to suffer not be coddled because they were running away. Fuck them. You steal something and we can prove it then whatever happens to you after that isn't our problem.

Send his ran over ass to prison.

I would have to take a hard look at the law. How hard did she hit him? How fast was she going? Did she try to kill him or just stop him and went too far. Don't know how I would rule.

Did you watch the video? Pretty funny.

I held the LAST ones I caught at gunpoint with an AK 47 And I would have killed them both in a heartbeat without hesitation. Almost did!!!

If I caught them on my property I'd do the same.

She should absolutely be allowed to be charged. At this point, as far as our legal system is concerned, both of those people are innocent of any wrongdoing (or at least, that's the theory).

I'd need to know the relevant law before I could say how I might vote if I were on a jury. Assuming she did, in fact, break the law, I might vote for her to be guilty but recommend a light sentence, if possible.

I think in a case like this I would say F the law if I were a juror.

Wrong answer, in TX you can shoot someone in the back, at night, if they are running away with your property. I don't think you can run them down with a truck though. From what I saw he didn't have any of her property and it was daylight.

Her claim was that he still had her purse. Nothing in the story contradicts her claim.

That doesn't alter the fact that the threat of physical harm to her was not present.

I don't know if that's relevant. She was just trying to get her purse back and was physically incapable of doing so. She used her vehicle to get her belongings.

I don't know if that's relevant. She was just trying to get her purse back and was physically incapable of doing so. She used her vehicle to get her belongings.

OJ got like 10 years for doing pretty much the same .

Everybody has the right to defend for themselves or their property. If she had let him run and just report it. She will never see her property ever again. And so she has the right to stop him by any means necessary. They probably will only give her a light sentence of two hours of community service. Try running off with a police officer's handgun and see what will happen to you.

Criminal justice system: Legal right to protect home without fear of prosecution | Daily Mail Online

Unfortunately no, everybody does not have the right to defend their property, and that needs to change.

She was wrong as far as the law is concerned, but not wrong in what she did. The laws should protect people like her from prosecution if she did "whatever" it took to retrieve her stolen property.

Let's think about this briefly. A law is created that you can run people over with your car.

What do you think will happen next? More or less people being run over with fancy excuses?

So you think being robbed is a fancy excuse?
I don't. Pretty cut and dried that he was robbing her and thought he could outrun a 5 month pregnant woman.

You like playing what ifs? What if a 6 year old had stepped out from between those cars? She didn't just put the bad guy at risk.

OJ got like 10 years for doing pretty much the same .

Somebody went into his vehicle and stole his purse and OJ caught him?

If he was in possession of her address, there is certainly an implied threat. Would you feel safe if you knew criminal(s) knew exactly where you lived and that a condition such as her pregnancy left you weak?

Forum List

Back