Should shunning be legal?

Should shunning be legal

• Yes

• No

• It's different when we do it

• It depends on whether I agree with their reasons

Results are only viewable after voting.
What do you think? Should people and businesses be allowed to refuse service to others?

follow up questions:

Does it matter what their reasons are?
What if the keep their reasons to themselves?
The Amish shun people. Far as stores ,the right to REFUSE is probably in the constitution. Have to look that one up.
I live near a huge Amish community. I don't know what you mean.
If someone violates their religious laws, they get shunned. Doesn't happen very often any more.
The Amish encourage their young adults to leave and live a non Amish life to get it all out of the system. However if you don't return and grow your beard and put a bowl on your head for a haircut, you will be shunned by them.

Now there are some fanatical religious Amish sects. Like everything
Pretty much like the liberoidals have treated Naomi Wolf.
Their slowly cancelling each other out like an algebra equation so they'll eventually cancel themselves to one or 2...lol

Can you imagine waking every morning worrying about pronouns and klansman? first and second.

First things I think about is taking a piss and making me some Joe.

What do you think? Should people and businesses be allowed to refuse service to others?

follow up questions:

Obviously yes. That's called freedom of association.

No, freedom of association means you get to choose who you want to visit and share you free time with.
Shunning is the deliberate punishment harm inflicted upon someone by being denied commercial services.
That is illegal in the US, and is a very harmful practice violating 1st amendment rights of individuals.
Like Twitter banning Trump, or anyone.
That is only legal if the person is abusing the service to cause harm, like inciting violence.

I just don't understand why some companies can do it and others can't.

For example :

Social Media platforms are allowed to just ban Donald Trump (and any immediate contacts with his message) forever - that's fine.
Bars are allowed to ban folk for however long or little they see fit (even for the smallest of reasons like saying something the bar maid doesn't like).
Nightclubs can refuse entry and service if they don't like the shoes someone has on.
Places to eat can refuse service to someone if they don't have a shirt, tie and a jacket.

Yet a Christian baker isn't allowed to refuse to bake a cake for a gay wedding or a traditional B&B/motel owner is legally compelled to rent a room with a double bed out to an unmarried couple.

As always it's just the double standards that irk me.

Way I see it, it's your business you can refuse whatever business you want - that should be your right.

It's also the person/s who's been refused right in response to bad mouth the business/leave bad reviews off the back of it too.

If someone doesn't want my money I have no problem - I'll go elsewhere.

A lot of times I go to USA I get refused the chance to purchase alcohol to take back to my hotel room in gas stations etc because I don't have ID on me (despite being 36 years old, stubble and a receding hairline). It's frustrating, sure, but I don't get on my high horse about it I have a choice - go get my ID, keep my ID on me at all times or move onto the next shop. Simple.

Those are two very different issues

One is a religious liberty issue

The other is covered by communications decency act and just basically absolves internet platforms of liability. I too get angry when they ask for ID even tho i'm balding and show it to them. Fuckers
I get why they're considered different - I just don't agree with it.

All the examples I gave are businesses which make money and can refuse service.

The fact some of them are covered within a certain act or law is neither here nor there for me. In fact, it proves my point in regards double standards.

follow up questions:

If I own a business I should be able to not do business with whoever the hell I want to. And why I do is my own reasoning and I don't owe anyone a explanation.

That's one of the benefits of owning a business, it belongs to me.

If I went in a store and someone told me to leave I'd just say gladly and walk out and never return. Even if they said they don't want whites in there then he'll that's all the more reason to never shop there again.

For example :

Social Media platforms are allowed to just ban Donald Trump (and any immediate contacts with his message) forever - that's fine.
Bars are allowed to ban folk for however long or little they see fit (even for the smallest of reasons like saying something the bar maid doesn't like).
Nightclubs can refuse entry and service if they don't like the shoes someone has on.
Places to eat can refuse service to someone if they don't have a shirt, tie and a jacket.

Yet a Christian baker isn't allowed to refuse to bake a cake for a gay wedding or a traditional B&B/motel owner is legally compelled to rent a room with a double bed out to an unmarried couple.

Way I see it, it's your business you can refuse whatever business you want - that should be your right.

It's also the person/s who's been refused right in response to bad mouth the business/leave bad reviews off the back of it too.

A lot of times I go to USA I get refused the chance to purchase alcohol to take back to my hotel room in gas stations etc because I don't have ID on me (despite being 36 years old, stubble and a receding hairline). It's frustrating, sure, but I don't get on my high horse about it I have a choice - go get my ID, keep my ID on me at all times or move onto the next shop. Simple.

The other is covered by communications decency act and just basically absolves internet platforms of liability. I too get angry when they ask for ID even tho i'm balding and show it to them. Fuckers

The fact some of them are covered within a certain act or law is neither here nor there for me. In fact, it proves my point in regards double standards.

Well that's not how law works. And as some one from the UK I don't understand why you would balk at any of these regulations. You don't even have freedom of speech over there and yet you stay

Only "protected classes" can't be discriminated against. Everyone else you can refuse service to. Like Republicans or Hippies

I already shun Trump cult traitors. All decent patriotic Americans do. That's not illegal. That's praiseworthy. I shun puppy kickers, child molestors, Trump cultists, islamic jihadists, ... you know, the same people that everyone shuns.

Yes it is immoral and illegal, if you are open to the public in services you provide.
What you should do is try to get people who act in ways you dislike, to change.
And you not only can not do that if you avoid contact, but you run the risk of being wrong and the source of harm yourself.
Like I doubt you have any real idea what an Islamic Jihadist even is, much less if it is good or bad.
It is likely you who are the harmful one, out of ignorance.

follow up questions:

If I own a business I should be able to not do business with whoever the hell I want to. And why I do is my own reasoning and I don't owe anyone a explanation.

Absolutely wrong.
Anyone who refuses to do business with some individuals by not others, is illegally discriminating and goes to jail.

follow up questions:

Absolutely wrong.
Anyone who refuses to do business with some individuals by not others, is illegally discriminating and goes to jail.

lol it's not a criminal violation, you can be sued into the ground tho

and it's only "protected classes" like discriminating against ethnicities, religious affiliation, now sexual orientation

For example :

Well that's not how law works. And as some one from the UK I don't understand why you would balk at any of these regulations. You don't even have freedom of speech over there and yet you stay

Only "protected classes" can't be discriminated against. Everyone else you can refuse service to. Like Republicans or Hippies
I know that's not how the law works ffs.

I'm not denying it's the law - I'm disagreeing with the law and the double standard that it sets out.

and I'm not saying only protected classes can't be discriminated.

You've managed to miss the point about 100 times in 2 straight forward comments of mine. Well done to you. Have a virtual coconut as a reward.

follow up questions:

You mean like No blacks or no Jews?

Great question, for a Commy/Nazi

For example :

It is illegal for anyone open to the public to discriminate for any reason.
The shoes and shirt requirements are not arbitrary, but to avoid cut feet and other customers grossed out by armpit hair.
No one can refuse service unless there is an provable need like that.
It is illegal for Twitter to ban Trump, but the internet is just too complicated for people to have figured out how to regulate and protect it yet.

It most definitely is NOT just explicitly protected classes that can not be discriminated against.
Those are just ones that historically were discriminated against so badly that they needed additional explicit protection.

I already shun Trump cult traitors. All decent patriotic Americans do. That's not illegal. That's praiseworthy. I shun puppy kickers, child molestors, Trump cultists, islamic jihadists, ... you know, the same people that everyone shuns.
From what I ganther, you never leave the fucking house Kooky Kat....Shunning people is what you do as a matter of course.

follow up questions:

If I went in a store and someone told me to leave I'd just say gladly and walk out and never return. Even if they said they don't want whites in there then he'll that's all the more reason to never shop there again.

Wrong.
So you are the only grocery store in town, and you just decide a family you do not like should starve or move out,
And your reason is politics, religion, race, or something totally illegal like that.
You WILL end up in jail and deserve it.

When you open to the pubic, you accept the business law that go along with a permit to retail.
That explicitly includes ordnances prohibiting discrimination for any reason.

There is no state or city where shunning is remotely legal, and I am shocked so many here do not even seem to know the law,
Obviously they have to be too young to have ever opened a business.

follow up questions:

Why is this in politics? But that said, ever heard of freedom of association?

You know who else shuns?
The leftist cult of Scientology, in fact many cults use shunning, so it doesn't surprise me you are a big fan.

I thought that places already had the right to refuse service.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. To me, if the person becomes a big enough public disturbance, the door is what they should be shown.

Forum List

Back