Should the Social Security and Medicare Age be Raised

Yea...Supplemental to pensions which are largely a thing of the past

Supplementary to everything. How can it be supplementary to just pensions when most people at the time of it's founding didn't have pensions?

SS was only supposed to be a help when you retire, not an all in one retirement plan.

The real problem is it's not taught in school. It wasn't when I was in school and it wasn't when my nephew and niece were in school. If you want to learn about finances or investments, you need to go to college. What we teach in high school is guilt of your skin color.
I don't know about that Ray. What it boils down to I think is personal discipline and determination to achieve a goal. I never took a finance class in college and neither did my wife. There are courses in economics, but they are theoretical. Courses in managing debt, investing wisely and saving money would be far more useful IMO but they don't exist as far as I know. And of course, all of this CRT and White Privilege crap is not only useless, but also damaging.

Link to that or you're a liar. Here's a link for you to read.

Worth noting is that the Social Security surplus that gave rise to years of partisan sniping has now disappeared, not because the trust fund was “raided” or “robbed” but because more people are retiring and drawing benefits. The cost of those benefits now exceeds the payroll tax revenues that go into the two Social Security trust funds (one for retirees and one for the disabled).

As we noted some time ago, the combined trust funds reached a tipping point in 2010, when they began running a primary deficit (exclusive of interest paid into the funds from general revenues) rather than a surplus. According to the most recent accounting from the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, the trust funds ran a combined primary deficit of $73 billion in fiscal 2014, a figure projected to rise to $78 billion in the current fiscal year, which ends at the end of this month.

Back when there were surpluses, they weren’t really diverted, but were duly invested in interest-bearing Treasury securities as required by law. Even accounting for those interest payments, however, the combined trust funds will be depleted entirely in 2034, according to the latest report of the system’s trustees. At that point, the system would have only enough income to provide 79 percent of promised benefits, the trustees said.

The basic cause is demographic: In 1960 there were five workers paying payroll taxes for every Social Security beneficiary. That was down to fewer than three workers last year, and is projected to decline to 2.2 workers per beneficiary in 2030.
I’m not sure why you are denying that LBJ broke the SS trust fund to pay for Vietnam. He placed the trust fund money into the general budget where it got spent.

Last edited:
Not true

You need 10 years of payments to qualify but your benefit is based on your last 30 year average contribution
If you only worked 10 years, you get 20 years of zero’s for that contribution
Then how come everyone gets the same check?

Everyone in TN who draws gets a check for 1,800/month. That's it. Doesn't matter if you paid ten years or thirty five.

Weather or not it is constitutional, I have zero doubt the current court would uphold a law that removes the cap.

Essentially, the constitutionality of the measure is worthy of discussion but does not represent a realistic scenario.
Weather? :abgg2q.jpg:

Raising the cap with no raise in benefits is a violation of the Equal Protection clause of the 14th Amendment.

The real problem is it's not taught in school. It wasn't when I was in school and it wasn't when my nephew and niece were in school. If you want to learn about finances or investments, you need to go to college. What we teach in high school is guilt of your skin color.
Maybe in Cleveland but not other places.

Git the " F " off this message Board.
Yer here to be fractious.Everything you say is a
pile of crap.When you said " as always " the Mods
need to make an example of you.
I've witnessed Message Board Posters like you before.
You are here to make trouble.
He stays drunk, even misspelling his username "Lush!"

Those were examples of the difference between doing office work all your life and physical work.

Also, truckers can work as many hours a week as they want, they just can't drive after they hit 70 hours, also, when you are otr, you run with a rolling log book, so you can legally drive every single day...for the most part.
My son is a trucker. He makes serious bank. Retirement will not be a problem.

There are a lot of truckers in their 70s and 80s. It's not that grueling a job.

Then how come everyone gets the same check?

Everyone in TN who draws gets a check for 1,800/month. That's it. Doesn't matter if you paid ten years or thirty five.
Everyone doesn’t get the same check.

My son is a trucker. He makes serious bank. Retirement will not be a problem.

There are a lot of truckers in their 70s and 80s. It's not that grueling a job.

Yeah, and you know that how? I'd like to see you behind the wheel of a truck when the fog is so thick you can't see the front of your hood, and then the traffic comes to a sudden stop. Or when they detour you because the road you need is closed, and they never calculated how trucks were going to get through these side streets or country roads.

No there are not a lot of truckers in their 70's and 80's. There are few but I'd hardly call them a lot. Like any other job you look forward to retirement and climbing out of that thing to have a real life.

Yeah, and you know that how? I'd like to see you behind the wheel of a truck when the fog is so thick you can't see the front of your hood, and then the traffic comes to a sudden stop. Or when they detour you because the road you need is closed, and they never calculated how trucks were going to get through these side streets or country roads.

No there are not a lot of truckers in their 70's and 80's. There are few but I'd hardly call them a lot. Like any other job you look forward to retirement and climbing out of that thing to have a real life.
I know that how because as I told you, my son is a trucker.

And 10 percent of truckers are over 65.

Maybe in Cleveland but not other places.

I find that hard to believe when there are so many financial failures in this country, constantly crying how minimum wage needs to be raised so people could support a family. So many people who believe unless you are good at rap or sports, you have absolutely no future in this country.

I know that how because as I told you, my son is a trucker.

And 10 percent of truckers are over 65.

I can believe that given people like myself have a retirement age of 67. Two more years to go people will continue to work. Spending 30 years in driving I hardly see any 70 year olds, and maybe one person near 80.

The driver shortage today is in the tens of thousands. As we retire younger people are not replacing us. I don't know where you got that figure of 10%; certainly not in this area.

I don't know about that Ray. What it boils down to I think is personal discipline and determination to achieve a goal. I never took a finance class in college and neither did my wife. There are courses in economics, but they are theoretical. Courses in managing debt, investing wisely and saving money would be far more useful IMO but they don't exist as far as I know. And of course, all of this CRT and White Privilege crap is not only useless, but also damaging.

It's not required in college but certainly an option to learn about finances. The problem is kids need to learn about investments and financial matters before college because there are a percentage of those kids who will never make it there. You see people here all the time making claims if you weren't born in a wealthy family, you will never have any chance at wealth.

I would be surprised to find any in their 80’s. There’s not many in their 70’s either. It might not be physically grueling like some manual labor jobs, but it’s not a walk in the park.

Forum List

Back