Should voting be an ever-changing obstacle course?

Should voting be an ever-changing obstacle course?

• Total voters
Shouldn't voting be easy and painless for all eligible American voters? I feel sorry for many voters who continue to face an ever-changing obstacle course just to cast their ballots. Republicans don't want to even have a debate on voting rights. What do you think?

We need to standardize the election rules across the nation. If there is a hill worth dying on for the Democrats....it seems like this would be the one that they would end the filibuster to get to.

That being said... almost anyone who is still bitching about not being able to vote is simply lying. You can vote. Its 80X harder than it should be but you can make it to the polls and you can get the appropriate ID to vote. To me, that was one of the sadder things about the out-sized participation in the 2020 election. I call it "participation" instead of turnout because if a lot of these democrats and even some republicans had to leave their house to cast a vote, that would be an insurmountable obstacle for them. It exposed just how cheap the right to vote is to some people. You don't value it enough to go out and take part in the system--let alone in off year elections--but if they make it fall-off-a-log-easy...they're all in.

Voting should be "fall-off-a-log-easy". But it's not for many eligible American voters.

I agree.

But my point is simply this:

Anyone saying they can't vote--or almost anyone--is simply lying.

Can you register? Yes.
Can you get to the polls on election day? Almost certainly
Is there early voting options available? Almost certainly
Can you acquire the appropriate ID? Yes.

Will your vote count? Hope so. That is the real danger.

It's more a matter of difficulty than can't. And there is great difficulty for many eligible American voters. Republicans know they can't just STOP certain people from voting - so they just make it extraordinarily difficult. It's called "voter suppression".

That....I will agree with.

If you really want to vote; you can. That is my point.

Yeah, but why should it be worse than going to a dentist for a root canal for many eligible American voters?
It isn't.

This is what I'm talking about. Its not the ironman triathalon...it's not a fate worse than death....The simple fact is that for some people, if the polling location was in their den, they would come up with an excuse to not vote. Its also quite disheartening that the same people who complain about the lack of investment in their communities are often those who decide not to vote because "it's too hard".

You obviously don't fully comprehend the reality of voter suppression. You make it sound like some people are just too lazy to vote. That may be true - but the problem is much deeper...

Shouldn't voting be easy and painless for all eligible American voters? I feel sorry for many voters who continue to face an ever-changing obstacle course just to cast their ballots. Republicans don't want to even have a debate on voting rights. What do you think?

We need to standardize the election rules across the nation. If there is a hill worth dying on for the Democrats....it seems like this would be the one that they would end the filibuster to get to.

That being said... almost anyone who is still bitching about not being able to vote is simply lying. You can vote. Its 80X harder than it should be but you can make it to the polls and you can get the appropriate ID to vote. To me, that was one of the sadder things about the out-sized participation in the 2020 election. I call it "participation" instead of turnout because if a lot of these democrats and even some republicans had to leave their house to cast a vote, that would be an insurmountable obstacle for them. It exposed just how cheap the right to vote is to some people. You don't value it enough to go out and take part in the system--let alone in off year elections--but if they make it fall-off-a-log-easy...they're all in.

Voting should be "fall-off-a-log-easy". But it's not for many eligible American voters.

I agree.

Can you register? Yes.

It's more a matter of difficulty than can't. And there is great difficulty for many eligible American voters. Republicans know they can't just STOP certain people from voting - so they just make it extraordinarily difficult. It's called "voter suppression".

Pure commie bullshit, if everyone is bound by the same rules, everyone is being suppressed or no one is.

Voter Suppression happens all the time.

Most of Georgia's residence are in the counties around Atlanta. Yet the number of voting machines and polling places is about the same across the state. Do you think it is a coincidence that the areas that are predominantly black--the same counties around Atlanta--are the ones who have the most trouble voting when it comes to long lines and fewer hours of polls being opened...and outlawing handing people standing in line a bottle of water? There is a pattern of suppression in Georgia. Anyone who says otherwise is simply ignorant, lying...or both.

That being said...if you really want to vote you can...you may cast your ballot at midnight after standing there since 3PM....but you can vote. Should it be that difficult? Of course not.

So you don't think the expanded early voting will help ease the congestion? But if it doesn't whos fault is that?

Depends on the expansion I suppose.

I agree.

Can you register? Yes.

That....I will agree with.

If you really want to vote; you can. That is my point.

Yeah, but why should it be worse than going to a dentist for a root canal for many eligible American voters?
It isn't.

This is what I'm talking about. Its not the ironman triathalon...it's not a fate worse than death....The simple fact is that for some people, if the polling location was in their den, they would come up with an excuse to not vote. Its also quite disheartening that the same people who complain about the lack of investment in their communities are often those who decide not to vote because "it's too hard".

You obviously don't comprehend the full reality of voter suppression. You make it sound like some people are just too lazy to vote. The problem is much deeper...
I don't make it sound like that.

I'm saying that out loud although I wouldn't say "lazy"....I'd say apathetic.

How else do you explain the massive upswing in participation if it isn't mail-in ballots?

Make it a national holiday. Everyone gets the day off. Provide bussing free of charge to polls. This is a start. Only a start.

I don't think you really thought that through. What about hospital workers and first responders? Grocery store workers and long haul truck drivers? Should the whole economy come to a stand still for a full day?

The entire process is a criminal farce.

Shut down the country so dupes can go and vote for hand-picked Psychopath A or hand-picked Psychopath B?

No thanks.

Shouldn't voting be easy and painless for all eligible American voters? What do you think?
Just get a fucking ID and go IN PERSON to the polling place! What's so tough about that?
I can't get off work.

I can't get a ride and the closest polling place is ten miles away.

How do you get to work?

I'm retired.
Or I'm close enough to walk.
Or my friend works the same place and gives me a ride.

So all you have is bullshit. GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alabama has voter ID laws and had record turn out for the 2018 midterm election. . Why do you loons keep implying that certain segments of the population are to stupid to obtain ID's ?
They don’t give a crap about people getting ID’s. It’s harder than fuck to get dead and nonexistent people ID’s and to the polls though. That is their concern.
Looks like your fellow blobber found a way around it:

So why would they send her a ballot if she disappeared in May?

Alabama has voter ID laws and had record turn out for the 2018 midterm election. . Why do you loons keep implying that certain segments of the population are to stupid to obtain ID's ?
They don’t give a crap about people getting ID’s. It’s harder than fuck to get dead and nonexistent people ID’s and to the polls though. That is their concern.

Why would a Trump supporter cast a ballot for his dead wife?

That's the democrat party way. Take your Rights away, then bestow privileges on those they favor.
All Americans were all in keeping freedom from Blacks legally. They were happy to trade Black freedom for political gain. Nothing has changed.

Shut down the country so dupes can go and vote for hand-picked Psychopath A or hand-picked Psychopath B?
Other countries manage to do it on a weekend or something like that. But I can tell it's not like you're happy to suppress the working class vote. Heavens forfend.

Why is it that leftards have such a fucking hard time procuring a driver's license or a "gubermint" issued ID? I mean seriously? I know that they are fucking stupid and lazy, but still?

I agree.

Can you register? Yes.

Pure commie bullshit, if everyone is bound by the same rules, everyone is being suppressed or no one is.

Most of Georgia's residence are in the counties around Atlanta. Yet the number of voting machines and polling places is about the same across the state. Do you think it is a coincidence that the areas that are predominantly black--the same counties around Atlanta--are the ones who have the most trouble voting when it comes to long lines and fewer hours of polls being opened...and outlawing handing people standing in line a bottle of water? There is a pattern of suppression in Georgia. Anyone who says otherwise is simply ignorant, lying...or both.

That being said...if you really want to vote you can...you may cast your ballot at midnight after standing there since 3PM....but you can vote. Should it be that difficult? Of course not.

So you don't think the expanded early voting will help ease the congestion? But if it doesn't whos fault is that?

They have 4 weeks of early voting and they added two Saturdays and two optional Sundays. It's the voters fault if they don't take advantage.

I agree.

Can you register? Yes.

They have 4 weeks of early voting and they added two Saturdays and two optional Sundays. It's the voters fault if they don't take advantage.

Where are the polling centers to cast an early ballot? Hopefully all of the same places that are going to be open on election day.

Make it a national holiday. Everyone gets the day off. Provide bussing free of charge to polls. This is a start. Only a start.

I don't think you really thought that through. What about hospital workers and first responders? Grocery store workers and long haul truck drivers? Should the whole economy come to a stand still for a full day?

The entire process is a criminal farce.

No thanks.

Great, stay the fuck home. But don't bitch about what you get.

Why would 19 non-citizens vote in NC? People do stupid shit.

Why would 19 non-citizens vote in NC? People do stupid shit.

Especially Trump supporters....some still think he won the election.

I agree.

Can you register? Yes.

Where are the polling centers to cast an early ballot? Hopefully all of the same places that are going to be open on election day.

Don't know about GA but in TX there are more early voting locations, plus you can vote anywhere in the county.

Shouldn't voting be easy and painless for all eligible American voters? What do you think?
Just get a fucking ID and go IN PERSON to the polling place! What's so tough about that?

It really should be that simple but it’s not. You have to be registered to vote and the devil is in the details.

In one state it was specified that the addresses must be written in a certain way and they could not be written in the manner in which the local native American reservation designated their addresses. This very specific law about how the address had to be entered in your voter registration effectively barred all Native Americans living on the reservation from voting.

There are lots of laws like that when you’re not white or you’re not likely to vote Republican.

Forum List

Back