Should voting be an ever-changing obstacle course?

Should voting be an ever-changing obstacle course?

• Total voters
Of course not.

It’s the role and responsibility of government to facilitate voting, to ensure every eligible citizen has an opportunity to vote, and to respect and defend the fundamental right to vote.

It is not government’s role to contrive unnecessary, unwarranted, and un-Constitutional obstacles and burdens to the right to vote – as Republicans do in an effort to disenfranchise citizens perceived to be likely Democratic voters.
Un-Constitutional contrivances such as? History is not on your side and the US is the only Western style
democracy that does not require an I.D. in order to vote, thanks to the screaming, foot dragging and crying
that is still coming from the left.

Voices like yours make themselves more and more irrelevant as time goes on. You've gone from a tantrum
to a squeak and the reports of voting fraud that are still coming in from the 2020 debacle are just nails
in your coffin. Rest in peace? No. Just die already.

Shouldn't voting be easy and painless for all eligible American voters? I feel sorry for many voters who continue to face an ever-changing obstacle course just to cast their ballots. Republicans don't want to even have a debate on voting rights. What do you think?

"What do you think?"

It's simple. If you are Republican and losing to voter turnout the only way to win is to suppress the turnout.
It's called following the precedent set by our founding fathers. They knew we shouldn't let dumb people vote.

Shouldn't voting be easy and painless for all eligible American voters? I feel sorry for many voters who continue to face an ever-changing obstacle course just to cast their ballots. Republicans don't want to even have a debate on voting rights. What do you think?

We need to standardize the election rules across the nation. If there is a hill worth dying on for the Democrats....it seems like this would be the one that they would end the filibuster to get to.

That being said... almost anyone who is still bitching about not being able to vote is simply lying. You can vote. Its 80X harder than it should be but you can make it to the polls and you can get the appropriate ID to vote. To me, that was one of the sadder things about the out-sized participation in the 2020 election. I call it "participation" instead of turnout because if a lot of these democrats and even some republicans had to leave their house to cast a vote, that would be an insurmountable obstacle for them. It exposed just how cheap the right to vote is to some people. You don't value it enough to go out and take part in the system--let alone in off year elections--but if they make it fall-off-a-log-easy...they're all in.

Anyone who is too stupid to follow the rules has no right to vote in the first place. Furthermore there is no right to vote as voting is a privilege

Duh, it depends on who makes the rules and who they're designed to keep from voting.

If you follow the rules how does it keep you from voting?

Why We Need a Right to Vote Amendment

Even as the rising American electorate gains momentum, new regressive laws, rulings, and maneuvers are threatening voting rights without facing the strict scrutiny that would come with an affirmative right to vote in the Constitution.

In 2013, the Supreme Court struck down Section 4 of the Voting Rights Act (VRA), stripping the Justice Department of the powers it had for five decades to curb racial discrimination in voting. The Election Assistance Commission was left without commissioners for years and frequently faces bills in Congress that would end its existence entirely. Many schools skip civics education, contributing to the decline in voter turnout in local and primary elections.

Enshrining an explicit right to vote in the Constitution would guarantee the voting rights of every citizen of voting age, ensure that every vote is counted correctly, and defend against attempts to effectively disenfranchise eligible voters. It would empower Congress to enact minimum electoral standards to guarantee a higher degree of legitimacy, inclusivity, and consistency across the nation, and give our courts the authority to keep politicians in check when they try to game the vote for partisan reasons.

We need to standardize the election rules across the nation. If there is a hill worth dying on for the Democrats....it seems like this would be the one that they would end the filibuster to get to.

That being said... almost anyone who is still bitching about not being able to vote is simply lying. You can vote. Its 80X harder than it should be but you can make it to the polls and you can get the appropriate ID to vote. To me, that was one of the sadder things about the out-sized participation in the 2020 election. I call it "participation" instead of turnout because if a lot of these democrats and even some republicans had to leave their house to cast a vote, that would be an insurmountable obstacle for them. It exposed just how cheap the right to vote is to some people. You don't value it enough to go out and take part in the system--let alone in off year elections--but if they make it fall-off-a-log-easy...they're all in.

Voting should be "fall-off-a-log-easy". But it's not for many eligible American voters.

Voting should be "fall-off-a-log-easy". But it's not for many eligible American voters.

I agree.

But my point is simply this:

Anyone saying they can't vote--or almost anyone--is simply lying.

Can you register? Yes.
Can you get to the polls on election day? Almost certainly
Is there early voting options available? Almost certainly
Can you acquire the appropriate ID? Yes.

Will your vote count? Hope so. That is the real danger.

So you think what works for NYC would be just dandy for rural Montana?

Shouldn't voting be easy and painless for all eligible American voters? What do you think?
Just get a fucking ID and go IN PERSON to the polling place! What's so tough about that?
I can't get off work.

I can't get a ride and the closest polling place is ten miles away.

How do you get to work?

Crapitus doesn't work. It's a leech

Are you seriously saying it lied when it said it couldn't get off work?

I agree.

But my point is simply this:

Anyone saying they can't vote--or almost anyone--is simply lying.

Can you register? Yes.
Can you get to the polls on election day? Almost certainly
Is there early voting options available? Almost certainly
Can you acquire the appropriate ID? Yes.

Will your vote count? Hope so. That is the real danger.

It's more a matter of difficulty than can't. And there is great difficulty for many eligible American voters. Republicans know they can't just STOP certain people from voting - so they just make it extraordinarily difficult. It's called "voter suppression".

Forum List

Back