Should we be force feeding gitmo prisoners?

Yeah, these guys who have been locked up for going on 12 years now are really a threat...

True. Good solution; leave them where they are and they won't be a threat. Works for me.

Liberty and Justice for All is not equal to Liberty and Justice for Some.

Do you remember that from the Pledge of Allegiance?

No, I'm pretty sure that's not in the Pledge of Allegiance. Also, I am pretty sure the Gitmo Guys don't say the Pledge of Allegiance. That's one of the problems: they are enemy combatants.

Let 'em starve themselves to death and then the prez in 2020 or 2024 can let some of them out, if there are any left. No use being in a tearing hurry about it.

It's a good object lesson: if you make war on the United States as an al Qaeda, you WILL rot in a prison in Cuba for all or most of your natural life. Yep, that's definitely a message I'd like to see us communicate to all Muslims.

Releasing someone that wants to kill Americans either into our communities or their homes countries is asking for trouble. I hope you leftist understand this.

Never mind the fact that there's no evidence that many of them want to kill Americans.

Nope not true in all cases.

some were jsut rounded up because their nieghbors told the US they are bad guys

Yeah, these guys who have been locked up for going on 12 years now are really a threat...

True. Good solution; leave them where they are and they won't be a threat. Works for me.
Indeed it does. Until you or someone you love is locked up and never given their day in court.

Liberty and Justice for All is not equal to Liberty and Justice for Some.

Do you remember that from the Pledge of Allegiance?

No, I'm pretty sure that's not in the Pledge of Allegiance. Also, I am pretty sure the Gitmo Guys don't say the Pledge of Allegiance. That's one of the problems: they are enemy combatants.

Let 'em starve themselves to death and then the prez in 2020 or 2024 can let some of them out, if there are any left. No use being in a tearing hurry about it.

It's a good object lesson: if you make war on the United States as an al Qaeda, you WILL rot in a prison in Cuba for all or most of your natural life. Yep, that's definitely a message I'd like to see us communicate to all Muslims.

The message being is that we'll act like he worst part of your culture/religion.

I agree with harsh penalties for those who make war against the US....are you sure that everyone there was making war against the US? Are you sure how many are there? Thirty-eight of the prisoners were found to not have been an enemy combatant at all according to Wiki:

Adel Abdulhehim - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Rick Perry's words: Ooops.

One guy was picked up when he was 15...apparently he's still there.

---

On the other hand, some that we have repatriated to their home countries have gone on to make war on us or others. We've probably gotten more cases right than we've gotten wrong as far as who we picked up and why they were held; which is all the reason more to throw the book at them.

Indeed it does. Until you or someone you love is locked up and never given their day in court.

Why would that happen? I am not Muslim; I am no foreigner. No one I love is a damn Muslim foreigner. I am not acquainted to my knowledge! with any foreign al Qaeda bombers.

So saying it could all happen to me is a strawman: it couldn't.

But I figure evil foreign turban-wearing enemies of the United States can take their chances; I sure don't care what happens to them. Hey, they want to avoid a loooonnnnnnng vacation in Cuba, maybe they should stick to their donkey and goat breeding and not take up arms against the United States. That is a lesson I would like to see well absorbed by the raghead types the world over.

Releasing someone that wants to kill Americans either into our communities or their homes countries is asking for trouble. I hope you leftist understand this.

Never mind the fact that there's no evidence that many of them want to kill Americans.

They were captured on the battlefield trying to kill Americans. That's a good clue.

When the entire world is a battlefield that loses its meaning. Nor is there evidence that many of them were trying to kill Americans.

They were captured on the battlefield trying to kill Americans. That's a good clue.

When the entire world is a battlefield that loses its meaning. Nor is there evidence that many of them were trying to kill Americans.

No, it doesn't lose its meaning: if they are trying to kill Americans, it hardly matters WHERE! It matters that.

As for your asserting without evidence that many of them were NOT trying to kill Americans, how do you know? I am comfortable with delegating that determination: all the furor about Gitmo would hardly have been started up for no reason. Our guys didn't snatch up from a helicopter some innocent unarmed shepherd from his goat flock in god-knows-where-all and carry them off to Guantanamo Bay just for shits and giggles!!

After all these years, if our CIA says they belong there despite all the whining and complaining American liberals do, yeah, my guess is they REALLY belong there. Let 'em stay, let 'em starve themselves freely, but don't give them any of the power that force-feeding gives them.

No force-feeding. That is always, always a mistake. It was a mistake in the Suffragette movement, in the IRA prison strikes, and it's a mistake now. Boy, you don't see people getting away with this nonsense in Egyptian or Iranian jails!! Or nearly any other country in the world. Anybody wants to starve in prison, they just let them quietly die and then throw the body in the river as usual.

No, it doesn't lose its meaning: if they are trying to kill Americans, it hardly matters WHERE! It matters that.

As for your asserting without evidence that many of them were NOT trying to kill Americans, how do you know? I am comfortable with delegating that determination: all the furor about Gitmo would hardly have been started up for no reason. Our guys didn't snatch up from a helicopter some innocent unarmed shepherd from his goat flock in god-knows-where-all and carry them off to Guantanamo Bay just for shits and giggles!!

After all these years, if our CIA says they belong there despite all the whining and complaining American liberals do, yeah, my guess is they REALLY belong there. Let 'em stay, let 'em starve themselves freely, but don't give them any of the power that force-feeding gives them.

No force-feeding. That is always, always a mistake. It was a mistake in the Suffragette movement, in the IRA prison strikes, and it's a mistake now. Boy, you don't see people getting away with this nonsense in Egyptian or Iranian jails!! Or nearly any other country in the world. Anybody wants to starve in prison, they just let them quietly die and then throw the body in the river as usual.

Well that sounds like the American way. "You're guilty if your captors say you're guilty."

Well that sounds like the American way. "You're guilty if your captors say you're guilty."

I suggest we save the American Way for AMERICANS.

Not for every bloodthirsty foreigner who comes at us waving a scimitar and yelling "Allahu Akbar!"

Not for every bloodthirsty foreigner who comes at us waving a scimitar and yelling "Allahu Akbar!"

Where exactly does the U.S. Constitution say that the legal mechanisms prescribed therein apply only to U.S. citizens? In other words, where does the Constitution give the U.S. government the power to craft an entirely different legal system for non-U.S. citizens?

Where exactly does the U.S. Constitution say that the legal mechanisms prescribed therein apply only to U.S. citizens? In other words, where does the Constitution give the U.S. government the power to craft an entirely different legal system for non-U.S. citizens?
Maybe you've figured out why they are not in the US, and why they shouldn't be.

It's irrelevant where they are.

Now that you brought up the Constitution.

Does the Constitution protect someone's decision to end their lives? They are arguing about the right to die from one end of the country to the other. Is there a right to die? Should these men be denied their right to die, however they see fit, just because they are not citizens, nor reside in the US? Or, does the right to die just belong to Americans?

It's irrelevant where they are.
No, it is certainly not. People overseas are not protected by the US Constitution, even Americans.

Now that you brought up the Constitution.

Does the Constitution protect someone's decision to end their lives? They are arguing about the right to die from one end of the country to the other. Is there a right to die? Should these men be denied their right to die, however they see fit, just because they are not citizens, nor reside in the US? Or, does the right to die just belong to Americans?

I'm against force-feeding them, but there'd be no issue if they weren't being indefinitely detained in the first place.

Forum List

Back