Should we remove tax exempt status for Mosque?

this idea was floated around a few years ago by the left. The said it wasn't an attempt to destroy churches by cutting into their revenue. I will give them the benefit of the doubt. Why not remove the tax exempt status of mosque?

We need more churches, not mosques! The US is a christian country founded by christians, not by muslims.By the way how many churches are in the entirely muslim world? Not much more as in Philadelphia.Closing of mosques and state support for churches is a better option.

We need community places of worship for whomever is in need. It's that simple.

Who cares how many churches are elsewhere? WTF do we base our country's behavior on what other countries do?

I'm pretty sure God doesn't want worshippers who are forced to worship and to do so in a specific way because other people think it's the "right" way. It's supposed to be voluntary.

You're dealing with someone whose only arguments are throwing out insults and name calling. Don't expect any honesty or substance.

I would like to know how wanting to end tax exemptions for big businesses makes me a bigot

SJ isn't talking about ending tax exemptions for big businesses, even religious business' - he's talking about ending it for one particular religion only.
The topic is tax exempt status for MOSQUES. That's what I'm addressing. You don't speak for me.

And that is exactly what I said doofus :lol:
So you're admitting I'm the only one who is actually addressing the topic? Thank you, although I'm sure that wasn't your intention.

Addressing it IGNORANTLY. Don't forget that part.

And you've yet to make a convincing argument that mosques - and only mosques - should have their tax exempt status revoked because Reasons.
Where did I say "only mosques"? You're very dishonest, aren't you? And this thread is supposed to be about mosques, why don't you stick to the topic?

In post 183.
Nice try, but show me where I used the word "only".

It's all you're talking about. A quick search on USMB shows nothing anywhere on your part extending it to any other religious institutions. Given your insistence on keeping it about mosques only - a rational person would conclude you're only interested in squelching this one religion.

By all means - prove me wrong, show me the threads or posts you've posted on revoking tax status or closing down churches and synagogues :)
Well excuse the fuck out of me for wanting to keep it about the topic only. And if churches or synagogues were advocating violence against Americans I would want them shut down too. But I'm sure you'll ignore that statement since you're only interested in trolling my comments rather than discussing the topic honestly.

Honestly? You HONESTLY attributed advocating violence to mosques in general, then backpeddled and tried to pretend you were "only" talking about a few of them. THEN you "honestly" tried to pretend that people who told you repeatedly that they believed in applying the law equally to all churches who obey the laws were defending mosques that advocate violence, because you apparently didn't know that advocating violence is illegal.

That's your "honest discussion of the topic".

It's all you're talking about. A quick search on USMB shows nothing anywhere on your part extending it to any other religious institutions. Given your insistence on keeping it about mosques only - a rational person would conclude you're only interested in squelching this one religion.

By all means - prove me wrong, show me the threads or posts you've posted on revoking tax status or closing down churches and synagogues :)
Well excuse the fuck out of me for wanting to keep it about the topic only. And if churches or synagogues were advocating violence against Americans I would want them shut down too. But I'm sure you'll ignore that statement since you're only interested in trolling my comments rather than discussing the topic honestly.

Most mosques are not advocating violence against Americans. You do realize that don't you?
How do you know, have you attended them?

Have you?
I don't need to open a sewer lid to know it stinks.

So no, you haven't been there, you don't know the people involved, you just "know" that they're doing it.

Dimwits "know" a lot of things that have nothing to do with reality.

Most mosques are not advocating violence against Americans. You do realize that don't you?
How do you know, have you attended them?
You have no evidence, only fear mongered paranoia.
Hilarious, hater dupe. You people are unbelievable. No mosque leaders are advocating terrorism in the US.
How do you know that?
Which Mosques allow outsiders to sit in on their services?

Sent from my Y538 using Tapatalk

Lots of them. How do you think they attract new converts?

Although admittedly, Franco is as retarded as he always is in his belief that all mosques in the US are peaceful.

this idea was floated around a few years ago by the left. The said it wasn't an attempt to destroy churches by cutting into their revenue. I will give them the benefit of the doubt. Why not remove the tax exempt status of mosque?
donations to any religion should be of the books.

but they all charge for certain services, that business, that's profit and they should all pony up.

Your knowledge of church operations is breathtaking in its sheer lack of existence.

My parents and I used to be the on-site caretakers for our church. We lived in what used to be the parsonage, and it was our job to clean, repair, and make the buildings available for use. Like most churches, ours did not charge for use of the church by members of the church for weddings, which was the vast majority of the weddings performed. Obviously, most people who care about specifically being married in a church, as opposed to a rental hall or other venue, are at least somewhat religiously observant, and as such, are members of their own church.

For the fees charged to non-members who just liked our building for whatever reason, it was less than $500. That covered the time and effort of having at least one member of my family available every time someone involved with the wedding needed access to the building; having one of us on call the entire day of the wedding to help manage wedding planners, decorators, florists, caterers (if the reception was on-site), etc.; having us clean the sanctuary and/or reception hall prior to the event and after the event; the pastor's time and services, if he was performing the ceremony; and the costs of the utilities used by having the church full of people. You truly have no idea how much it costs just to run the lights and air conditioning for a big, open, two-story room like that, let alone the changing rooms, nursery, etc. And all those people running in and out of the bathrooms.

If you think that was a "profit", you're a moron. The fee is charged because buildings and the people who run them cost money.
We got charged to get married in the church my wife went to before she was born
we got charged for baptisms
christenings
and every other service

they charged so much, that 10 years ago, the top pastor made $80k a year.

so don't tell what I do and don't know

You want to decide what you will and won't be told, I suggest you log off your computer and go sit in front of a mirror.

You stay in here, you'll be told whatever the fuck I feel like saying. You don't like it, see above and run like a little bitch. Your choice.

That being said, what you know is one church. What I know is that unsubstantiated anecdotes about unnamed churches are representative of exactly nothing, mean nothing to me, and create no obligation in me whatsoever to respond to or defend them.

The law is the law. Not one fucking thing you've said changes that. When you have something to say about the written law and the millions of non-profits in this country to which it is applied, you come back and say it. If you have nothing to say but personal vitriol about one unverifiable thing, keep it to yourself and don't waste my time.
so you only know about your church and think it applies to the rest of the world, but I know this one and it doesn't apply to the rest.

right

non-profit means you don't make a profit, you don't charge to stay open, you provide service not charge for service.

churches charge, that's profit, they should be taxed on profits

And all should be paid

Even churches and charities benefit from government services that we all have to pay for so they should too
They repay us with the work that they do in charities

You might believe that I don't
Go ahead and remove all charities and let government tend to all of our needs. We all know that's the goal of the Progs.
Then see how much more of your paycheck disappears

You think I'm some sort of progressive?

You couldn't be more wrong

Religion and charities are big business they should be treated as such

Yeah, there are so many "big businesses" in the world who operate with the express purpose of helping people and not profiting from it.

Your definitions are skewed by your blind, ignorant hatred.
What's with all the hate shit?

I don't hate anyone it takes too much energy

I just want everyone to be treated the same under the law.

No person or business should be exempt from taxes I don't care what the purpose of the business is.

Religion and so called non profits have been scamming the system for years it's time we put an end to that

Go ahead and remove all charities and let government tend to all of our needs. We all know that's the goal of the Progs.

I didn't used to think you were that progressive, no. But.....

It's amazing how bigotry and "progressivism" go hand in hand.
If you think I'm a progressive then you haven't been on this board very long

Been there, did that, moved on from your willful blindness.

You can lead a bigot to facts, but you can't make him think.

You did no such thing you said charities have to jump through hoops to keep their charitable status

Get rid of that status and all they have to do is file their taxes like every other business
You're dealing with someone whose only arguments are throwing out insults and name calling. Don't expect any honesty or substance.

I would like to know how wanting to end tax exemptions for big businesses makes me a bigot
That's just it. It doesn't, but you will still be called a bigot in lieu of a valid argument from that moron. It's all he/she has.

Would you two like us to leave you alone to pump each other in private?
So you really have no other argumentative skills other than name calling and childish sexual innuendo huh?

Just Mosques, no...all religious institutions, yes. The only thing that should be tax exempt for them is there charitable work.

Unless you're planning to revoke ALL tax exemptions for non-profit organizations, you can take your bigotry and persecution right on down the road.

Yes, them too. You should only get exemptions for your charitable work. Pay taxes on the rest.

Think of the song "Would Jesus Wear a Rolex"

donations to any religion should be of the books.

but they all charge for certain services, that business, that's profit and they should all pony up.

Your knowledge of church operations is breathtaking in its sheer lack of existence.

My parents and I used to be the on-site caretakers for our church. We lived in what used to be the parsonage, and it was our job to clean, repair, and make the buildings available for use. Like most churches, ours did not charge for use of the church by members of the church for weddings, which was the vast majority of the weddings performed. Obviously, most people who care about specifically being married in a church, as opposed to a rental hall or other venue, are at least somewhat religiously observant, and as such, are members of their own church.

For the fees charged to non-members who just liked our building for whatever reason, it was less than $500. That covered the time and effort of having at least one member of my family available every time someone involved with the wedding needed access to the building; having one of us on call the entire day of the wedding to help manage wedding planners, decorators, florists, caterers (if the reception was on-site), etc.; having us clean the sanctuary and/or reception hall prior to the event and after the event; the pastor's time and services, if he was performing the ceremony; and the costs of the utilities used by having the church full of people. You truly have no idea how much it costs just to run the lights and air conditioning for a big, open, two-story room like that, let alone the changing rooms, nursery, etc. And all those people running in and out of the bathrooms.

If you think that was a "profit", you're a moron. The fee is charged because buildings and the people who run them cost money.
We got charged to get married in the church my wife went to before she was born
we got charged for baptisms
christenings
and every other service

they charged so much, that 10 years ago, the top pastor made $80k a year.

so don't tell what I do and don't know

You want to decide what you will and won't be told, I suggest you log off your computer and go sit in front of a mirror.

You stay in here, you'll be told whatever the fuck I feel like saying. You don't like it, see above and run like a little bitch. Your choice.

That being said, what you know is one church. What I know is that unsubstantiated anecdotes about unnamed churches are representative of exactly nothing, mean nothing to me, and create no obligation in me whatsoever to respond to or defend them.

The law is the law. Not one fucking thing you've said changes that. When you have something to say about the written law and the millions of non-profits in this country to which it is applied, you come back and say it. If you have nothing to say but personal vitriol about one unverifiable thing, keep it to yourself and don't waste my time.
so you only know about your church and think it applies to the rest of the world, but I know this one and it doesn't apply to the rest.

right

non-profit means you don't make a profit, you don't charge to stay open, you provide service not charge for service.

churches charge, that's profit, they should be taxed on profits

Yeah, that's what it is. I cited the actual law and its requirements, so OBVIOUSLY, I'm just talking about my own personal church and trying to apply it to the rest of the world.

Oh, no, wait, that was you, and now you're arguing like a leftist, trying to project your own failings onto others.

Really? Now you've forgotten the difference between "income" and "profit" in your blind, vitriolic kneejerk hatred of churches?

Let me ask you something, if you think you can get through the haze of bile clouding your brain. Does the government charge a fee for its services? Does that INCOME mean that the government makes a PROFIT? Does it make the government a BUSINESS?

Again, I don't know shit-all about your individual church, not least because you declined to substantiate your claims. (And no, I'm not interested in having the name, because I have no intention of trying to research their financial records, even if I could.) What I do know, and what is irrefutable, is what the law says about non-profit status vis a vis the IRS, which is that there are specific standards an organization must meet to qualify as non-profit. Either your church is meeting them, or it doesn't have non-profit status. Period. Your personal feelings about how much they charge and how much they pay their pastor are irrelevant to that fact, and are frankly exactly that: personal. I suggest you take the issue up with whatever governing group makes those decisions for your church. Or find another church. Or stay home and proudly and bitterly tell everyone how you gave up on God because His worshippers weren't good enough for you. I really don't give a tin shit which one you pick.

You should be ashamed of such slipshod, emotion-driven crap. I'm embarrassed for you.

Yeah, there are so many "big businesses" in the world who operate with the express purpose of helping people and not profiting from it.

Your definitions are skewed by your blind, ignorant hatred.
What's with all the hate shit?

I don't hate anyone it takes too much energy

I just want everyone to be treated the same under the law.

No person or business should be exempt from taxes I don't care what the purpose of the business is.

Religion and so called non profits have been scamming the system for years it's time we put an end to that

I have no idea what's with all the hate shit. I didn't realize you were such a hostile religiophobe, and I'm rather taken aback by it.

Everyone IS treated the same under the law, aside from recent digressions into political persecution by the Obama administration. Anyone who wishes to form a non-profit, or even specifically a religious organization with non-profit status, may do so under the same requirements and receive the exact same terms and application of the law.

Only leftists think "equal treatment under the law" means "pretending everyone is extruded from an indentical cookie cutter with no differences whatsoever." I'm not even going to dignify "We should take money away from charities and give it to the government to piss away JUST so that I can stick it to religions" with any more comment. And don't even start with your appalling ignorance of accounting practices again.

Please, oh please, someone try to do this. No point in trying to educate the Trumpian fools as to why this would be unconstitutional. Let's just have someone do something asinine like this and let them get bitch slapped 9-0 by the Supreme Court.

Conservatives and tea partiers are only protective of the Constitution when it suits their agenda

Please, oh please, someone try to do this. No point in trying to educate the Trumpian fools as to why this would be unconstitutional. Let's just have someone do something asinine like this and let them get bitch slapped 9-0 by the Supreme Court.

Conservatives and tea partiers are only protective of the Constitution when it suits their agenda
Need help lifting that broad brush?

I didn't used to think you were that progressive, no. But.....

It's amazing how bigotry and "progressivism" go hand in hand.
If you think I'm a progressive then you haven't been on this board very long

No, dumb shit, that's the point. I know you're not normally a "progressive", which is exactly why the fact that your bigotry has infected you with "progressive-think" is so appalling.

They go hand-in-hand: you get consumed with unreasoning hatred for a group, and you start thinking and acting like a leftist. And right now, you sound indistinguishable from the dumbest leftists on this board. You've even adopted every single page of their debating instructions and style.

Just Mosques, no...all religious institutions, yes. The only thing that should be tax exempt for them is there charitable work.

Unless you're planning to revoke ALL tax exemptions for non-profit organizations, you can take your bigotry and persecution right on down the road.

Yes, them too. You should only get exemptions for your charitable work. Pay taxes on the rest.

Think of the song "Would Jesus Wear a Rolex"

What a brilliantly clever suggestion . . . of what is already the law for charities, dumb shit. Can you be just a LITTLE more behind and uninformed, or would that require major surgery?

Think of the phrase, "Fat, ugly, and dumb is no way to go through life".

Not perfect, but still better than the leftist model of NEVER protecting the Constitution, because it NEVER suits their agenda.

only after you remove tax exempt status for churches. :thup:

Right after you remove it for unions, groups like the Chamber of Commerce and Urban League, and credit unions, of all things.

Forum List

Back