Should we remove tax exempt status for Mosque?

Let's see

Roads, water, sewer etc etc are all public services provided by government agencies anyone and everyone who uses them should pay like everyone else

Being exempt from not only federal taxes but the myriad of state taxes means we are all paying for them

And like I said if they truly show zero profit any year then they will pay no income taxes will they?

There are a million and one ways to show zero profit and these tax exempt businesses have been taking advantage of them for way too long

Where the fuck do YOU live, that water and sewer are paid for by taxes, rather than by utility bills?

Roads are paid for by property taxes and taxes on gasoline. Last time I checked, non-profit organizations pay the same prices for gasoline in their vehicles that everyone else does. Most non-profits also pay property taxes. Whether or not they don't depends on the laws of their state and municipality, and what type of non-profit they are. For example, a Catholic-run emergency shelter for children would not pay property taxes, as an exchange for relieving the government of some of ITS obligation for running that service (yes, I know that governments still run emergency shelters for children. However, the existence of privately-run shelters expands the facilities available to them without expanding the government's expenses). Whether or not a church's property is taxed or not depends on what the property is and what use it is put to.

And like I said, why in the hell would you make a charity spend more time and money on accounting as though they're a for-profit that simply had a bad year, rather than tailoring their accounting to what they actually ARE, a charity that has no intention of "profiting"? What the fuck kind of logic is THAT? Should an organization that exists to provide housing for the homeless spend its money on accounting staff to produce profit-and-loss, income, and equity statements, etc. simply to show that it doesn't engage in any of that, or should it spend its money on housing the homeless? People already get outraged by charities that spend half or more of every dollar on "administrative costs", and you're suggesting that that should be increased, to what purpose? Simply so that YOU can love your rump roast, knowing that churches aren't "special"?

A lot of that is subsidized by other local taxes

Non profits are exempt from property and sales taxes both of which are paid into the general fund of a state to pay for services everyone in the state uses so they should pay as wellAnd by treating charities like every other business they would not have to jump through more hoops they would simply lose their special treatment and have to jump through the same hoops every other business does

Yeah, yeah, you say it wouldn't be any more trouble, so it just wouldn't be, because you say so. Can you substantiate any of it? No, it JUST WOULDN'T BE! We just stop calling them special! That's all it involves! Because I say so!
Let's see

Roads, water, sewer etc etc are all public services provided by government agencies anyone and everyone who uses them should pay like everyone else

Being exempt from not only federal taxes but the myriad of state taxes means we are all paying for them

And like I said if they truly show zero profit any year then they will pay no income taxes will they?

There are a million and one ways to show zero profit and these tax exempt businesses have been taking advantage of them for way too long

Where the fuck do YOU live, that water and sewer are paid for by taxes, rather than by utility bills?

Roads are paid for by property taxes and taxes on gasoline. Last time I checked, non-profit organizations pay the same prices for gasoline in their vehicles that everyone else does. Most non-profits also pay property taxes. Whether or not they don't depends on the laws of their state and municipality, and what type of non-profit they are. For example, a Catholic-run emergency shelter for children would not pay property taxes, as an exchange for relieving the government of some of ITS obligation for running that service (yes, I know that governments still run emergency shelters for children. However, the existence of privately-run shelters expands the facilities available to them without expanding the government's expenses). Whether or not a church's property is taxed or not depends on what the property is and what use it is put to.

And like I said, why in the hell would you make a charity spend more time and money on accounting as though they're a for-profit that simply had a bad year, rather than tailoring their accounting to what they actually ARE, a charity that has no intention of "profiting"? What the fuck kind of logic is THAT? Should an organization that exists to provide housing for the homeless spend its money on accounting staff to produce profit-and-loss, income, and equity statements, etc. simply to show that it doesn't engage in any of that, or should it spend its money on housing the homeless? People already get outraged by charities that spend half or more of every dollar on "administrative costs", and you're suggesting that that should be increased, to what purpose? Simply so that YOU can love your rump roast, knowing that churches aren't "special"?

Non profits are exempt from property and sales taxes both of which are paid into the general fund of a state to pay for services everyone in the state uses so they should pay as well

And churches aren't special and by having laws on the books that gives special treatment to churches is a violation of the fist amendment

And by treating charities like every other business they would not have to jump through more hoops they would simply lose their special treatment and have to jump through the same hoops every other business does

In other words, "I don't hear any points, because I don't want to address them. I'm right, and no amount of proof will refute that, I'm just right and all I have to do is say so!"

We're done here. You can no more debate a bigot than you can debate a pig, and for the same reasons: they're not very bright, and they enjoy wallowing in their own muck too much to make them stop.

So it's your contention that non profits have fewer tax hoops to jump through than any other business?

Why don't you prove that?

Been there, did that, moved on from your willful blindness.

You can lead a bigot to facts, but you can't make him think.

You did no such thing you said charities have to jump through hoops to keep their charitable status

Get rid of that status and all they have to do is file their taxes like every other business

Do you expect the FBI to have eyes on every lunatic Christian cult?
You're ducking.

I'm asking you a follow-up question that you're clearly unequipped to answer. And we hadn't even gotten to Warren Jeffs...
You're still ducking.

Your ignorance? True. It may not be contagious, but it's messy.
Can't you just admit you have nothing to back up your claim?

Two words: Warren Jeffs.

I'm betting you have no idea who I'm talking about, and no interest in finding out.

Non profits are exempt from property and sales taxes both of which are paid into the general fund of a state to pay for services everyone in the state uses so they should pay as wellAnd by treating charities like every other business they would not have to jump through more hoops they would simply lose their special treatment and have to jump through the same hoops every other business does

Yeah, yeah, you say it wouldn't be any more trouble, so it just wouldn't be, because you say so. Can you substantiate any of it? No, it JUST WOULDN'T BE! We just stop calling them special! That's all it involves! Because I say so!

Non profits are exempt from property and sales taxes both of which are paid into the general fund of a state to pay for services everyone in the state uses so they should pay as well

And churches aren't special and by having laws on the books that gives special treatment to churches is a violation of the fist amendment

And by treating charities like every other business they would not have to jump through more hoops they would simply lose their special treatment and have to jump through the same hoops every other business does

In other words, "I don't hear any points, because I don't want to address them. I'm right, and no amount of proof will refute that, I'm just right and all I have to do is say so!"

We're done here. You can no more debate a bigot than you can debate a pig, and for the same reasons: they're not very bright, and they enjoy wallowing in their own muck too much to make them stop.

So it's your contention that non profits have fewer tax hoops to jump through than any other business?

You did no such thing you said charities have to jump through hoops to keep their charitable status

Get rid of that status and all they have to do is file their taxes like every other business
You're dealing with someone whose only arguments are throwing out insults and name calling. Don't expect any honesty or substance.

You're dealing with someone whose only arguments are throwing out insults and name calling. Don't expect any honesty or substance.

I would like to know how wanting to end tax exemptions for big businesses makes me a bigot

You're ducking.

I'm asking you a follow-up question that you're clearly unequipped to answer. And we hadn't even gotten to Warren Jeffs...
You're still ducking.

I'm betting you have no idea who I'm talking about, and no interest in finding out.
I'm interested in discussing the topic of this thread, not your unsubstantiated diversions. If you wish to compare a few scattered incidents of child abuse to the worldwide terrorism of Islam, at least be able to do it without making claims you can't back up.

I would like to know how wanting to end tax exemptions for big businesses makes me a bigot
That's just it. It doesn't, but you will still be called a bigot in lieu of a valid argument from that moron. It's all he/she has.

Property taxes.....payroll taxes....sales tax....
Just a few taxes that come to mind that aren't contingent on income or profit

Sent from my Y538 using Tapatalk

And all should be paid

Even churches and charities benefit from government services that we all have to pay for so they should too
They repay us with the work that they do in charities

You might believe that I don't
Go ahead and remove all charities and let government tend to all of our needs. We all know that's the goal of the Progs.
Then see how much more of your paycheck disappears

You think I'm some sort of progressive?

You couldn't be more wrong

Religion and charities are big business they should be treated as such
I didn't used to think you were that progressive, no. But.....

The government exempts non-profit organizations from taxes, because they DON'T MAKE A PROFIT TO TAX. You act like churches and religious organizations are the only groups who get that exemption. There are 1.5 million registered non-profit organizations in the US, according to the National Center for Charitable Statistics (NCCS).

And it is only a "violation of the First Amendment" if they don't extend that exemption impartially to ALL religious organizations who meet the requirements.

No business should be tax exempt even if that business is a charity

If a business truly is non profit then they need no special status they can file their taxes every year and show zero profit therefore pay no tax

By definition, charities AREN'T businesses.

But hey, you want to suck a bunch of money out of the Salvation Army to give to the federal government to fritter away? We'll send the homeless people to bunk at YOUR house.

If your objection is, "Ehrmagerd, the IRS has special administrative designations to allow them to keep track of who does and doesn't meet non-profit requirements, WE CAN'T HAVE NAMES FOR THINGS!" then you're not very bright.

If they truly are non profit then they won't pay taxes will they?

There is no need for any special status

If you can't see that then you're the one who is not so bright

There is a need for a special status, and that is to protect religious institutions from government intrusion, just as it's important to keep religious intrusion out of the government - it works both ways for the protection of both.

What kind of government intrusion?

Paying taxes? Or do you think that somehow the government will all of a sudden start trampling the first amendment rights of people who attend church?

And we already have religious intrusion in government we allow clergy to be vested with the power to call marriages legal. Funny how you separation of church and state people never seem to mention that

Religion is big business that's all it is
I recall a Houston mayor asking for sermons from her city's churches

You're still ducking.

I'm interested in discussing the topic of this thread...

And you've yet to make a convincing argument that mosques - and only mosques - should have their tax exempt status revoked because Reasons.

this idea was floated around a few years ago by the left. The said it wasn't an attempt to destroy churches by cutting into their revenue. I will give them the benefit of the doubt. Why not remove the tax exempt status of mosque?
donations to any religion should be of the books.

but they all charge for certain services, that business, that's profit and they should all pony up.

Your knowledge of church operations is breathtaking in its sheer lack of existence.

My parents and I used to be the on-site caretakers for our church. We lived in what used to be the parsonage, and it was our job to clean, repair, and make the buildings available for use. Like most churches, ours did not charge for use of the church by members of the church for weddings, which was the vast majority of the weddings performed. Obviously, most people who care about specifically being married in a church, as opposed to a rental hall or other venue, are at least somewhat religiously observant, and as such, are members of their own church.

For the fees charged to non-members who just liked our building for whatever reason, it was less than $500. That covered the time and effort of having at least one member of my family available every time someone involved with the wedding needed access to the building; having one of us on call the entire day of the wedding to help manage wedding planners, decorators, florists, caterers (if the reception was on-site), etc.; having us clean the sanctuary and/or reception hall prior to the event and after the event; the pastor's time and services, if he was performing the ceremony; and the costs of the utilities used by having the church full of people. You truly have no idea how much it costs just to run the lights and air conditioning for a big, open, two-story room like that, let alone the changing rooms, nursery, etc. And all those people running in and out of the bathrooms.

If you think that was a "profit", you're a moron. The fee is charged because buildings and the people who run them cost money.
We got charged to get married in the church my wife went to before she was born
we got charged for baptisms
christenings
and every other service

they charged so much, that 10 years ago, the top pastor made $80k a year.

so don't tell what I do and don't know

this idea was floated around a few years ago by the left. The said it wasn't an attempt to destroy churches by cutting into their revenue. I will give them the benefit of the doubt. Why not remove the tax exempt status of mosque?

We need more churches, not mosques! The US is a christian country founded by christians, not by muslims.By the way how many churches are in the entirely muslim world? Not much more as in Philadelphia.Closing of mosques and state support for churches is a better option.

You're still ducking.

And you've yet to make a convincing argument that mosques - and only mosques - should have their tax exempt status revoked because Reasons.

Islam is enemy of the western way of life, therefore all its bastions must be closed.Enough convincing?

Islam is enemy of the western way of life, therefore all its bastions must be closed.Enough convincing?

That you have an opinion on the subject? Yes. That it's informed? No.

That you have an opinion on the subject? Yes. That it's informed? No.

No blah-blah-blah! Close the mosques!Period.

You're still ducking.

No argument would be convincing to a tool of the left like you.

They do have to file taxes anyway, to show they are non-profit.

SJ isn't talking about ending tax exemptions for big businesses, even religious business' - he's talking about ending it for one particular religion only.

We need more churches, not mosques! The US is a christian country founded by christians, not by muslims.By the way how many churches are in the entirely muslim world? Not much more as in Philadelphia.Closing of mosques and state support for churches is a better option.

We need community places of worship for whomever is in need. It's that simple.

Who cares how many churches are elsewhere? WTF do we base our country's behavior on what other countries do?

Forum List

Back