Sin

"Christians" say things like "I sin all the time", "I'm a sinner and pray to be forgiven for my sins" but what in the world are these sins that christians pray about? And instead of all this praying, why not just clean up your behavior?

You don't need to pray for forgiveness of sins. Once you are "saved" all sins, past, present and future are forgiven.
Of course, the Catholics don't believe this.

Bonzi

"all sins, past, present and future"

So christians can get all saved today and murder someone tomorrow.

That's some twisted crap.

You don't need to pray for forgiveness of sins. Once you are "saved" all sins, past, present and future are forgiven.

Some Protestants view "saved" only as their ticket into a heavenly afterlife. In contrast, Catholics view salvation as a way of life we put into practice in this life that extends into the afterlife. Catholics believe forgiveness is granted for repentance (turning away from sin/disobedience to God) of sin to obedience to God. Repentance for the forgiveness of sins. It seems Protestants don't see sin/disobedience to God as anything that prevents them entering heaven.

No wonder atheists are so angry at these Protestant Christians who claim heaven for themselves while denying it to others.

"No wonder atheists are so angry at these Protestant Christians who claim heaven for themselves while denying it to others."

I don't see it that way.

I mean, have you seen the froot loops who say they're going to heaven? No thanks.

A related point - We all hate ISIS/ISIL. They burn people alive. But, those poor people are dead quickly and their torment is over. The christian god says bow down to me or I'll burn you forever and ever and ever.

Yep. Sick stuff all righty.

A related point - We all hate ISIS/ISIL. They burn people alive. But, those poor people are dead quickly and their torment is over. The christian god says bow down to me or I'll burn you forever and ever and ever.

That is an extremely poor straw man. (Presenting God as something He is obviously not and then rejecting it.)

Wherever it comes from, it is not Christianity--but again, people seem to love their straw men. If that is your conclusion, then remember the adage: A conclusion is where people stop thinking. I recommend extending your thinking a little further.

"Christians" say things like "I sin all the time", "I'm a sinner and pray to be forgiven for my sins" but what in the world are these sins that christians pray about? And instead of all this praying, why not just clean up your behavior?

Bonzi

That's probably why you are an atheist......

Everyone is disobedient to God because we are all sinners.
Sin is sin. No one can be "sin free".
If you use salvation as an "free pass" to sin, you have to really question the heart of that person....meaning, I would doubt they were saved at all or ... have truly given their life to God/Jesus.

If you use salvation as an "free pass" to sin, you have to really question the heart of that person....meaning, I would doubt they were saved at all or ... have truly given their life to God/Jesus.
No one can be "sin free".

that is a contradiction for the purpose of those that perished in contradiction to Noah ... unless sin can be either with or without jeopardy.

So - "sin" is a religious construct.
Sin is a Hebrew word meaning "missing the mark" and a Greek word meaning "failure".
obama.jpg

No. For the last time, my name is not sin.

that is a contradiction for the purpose of those that perished in contradiction to Noah ... unless sin can be either with or without jeopardy.
You suffer from sin here on earth. No one truly profits from sin.

Bonzi

Kinda the reason that Martin Luther left the Catholic church. Why? They were selling indulgences. Indulgences were sins that you could ask forgiveness ahead of time, knowing you were going to do it later. Basically, you would go up to the priest, ask about the sin you wanted to do, and then donate a certain amount of money to the church, and then you could go and do whatever it was you paid for.

Christians today seem to think that being "saved" means that they are forgiven for all sins, past, present, and future just because they accepted Christ.

Unfortunately, they apparently don't know about the second part of getting forgiven, and that is repentance, meaning you recognize what you did was wrong, and you make a sincere attempt to never repeat that behavior again. Most Christians forget about the repentance part.

And, just for myself, the only "sin" I recognize is what is listed in either the 7 Noahide Commandments, or the 10 Commandments. If you can follow those (and it's pretty easy actually), as well as taking responsibility for all you do, you can eventually be free of sin.

that's odd, I seldom see sinners, christians suffering for their transgressions here on earth ... was Noah a sinner.

Last edited:
Don't want to hijack other threads so -

I'm atheist and don't believe in "sin". I do know a few people who steal, lie but I don't and with one notable exception, I don't count criminals among my friends.

There was a fundie here who was always preaching at me and others and repeatedly told me that even though I live a life of doing good deeds, harming no one, working to leave the planet a better place for having been here, I am "wicked" and would "burn for all eternity".

Everyone sins.
But if you do not believe in God, sin is moot and it should not bother you what people say because, as an atheist, talking about "sin" is like talking about Santa Claus....
The Catholic and Protestant and Eastern Orthodox guilt trips are that "everyone sins".

Then you need to give their churches something for absolution.

It is capitalism in the name of Religion.

I cant speak for all, but this is absolutely not true.

Some Protestants view "saved" only as their ticket into a heavenly afterlife. In contrast, Catholics view salvation as a way of life we put into practice in this life that extends into the afterlife. Catholics believe forgiveness is granted for repentance (turning away from sin/disobedience to God) of sin to obedience to God. Repentance for the forgiveness of sins. It seems Protestants don't see sin/disobedience to God as anything that prevents them entering heaven.

No wonder atheists are so angry at these Protestant Christians who claim heaven for themselves while denying it to others.

Its weird, I don't agree with some things Catholics do ...but when I listen to actual individual Catholics...they are the ones who seem to live it. Not that others don't live it. Catholics just seem to have a complete understanding of it all.
When the Catholic church ( jaws music playing in back ground lol) is brought up...its always totally negative. Yet sincere devout Catholics are some of the most humble "walking the talk" people around.

"No wonder atheists are so angry at these Protestant Christians who claim heaven for themselves while denying it to others."

I don't see it that way.

I mean, have you seen the froot loops who say they're going to heaven? No thanks.

Yep. Sick stuff all righty.

Have you seen some of the fruit loops who say they don't care if they go to Heaven?:lmao: ,,,you really should pay more attention Luddly.

Think what you want, it will be a final, total separation form God.
I can assure you that's not a place you want to be for eternity.

that's odd, I seldom see sinners, christians suffering for their transgressions here on earth ... was Noah a sinner.
Because you can't see people's hearts....sinful behavior always has a negative consequence....

Because you can't see people's hearts....sinful behavior always has a negative consequence....

that was not the question, was Noah a sinner, an unredeemable christian ... when did that occur.

that was not the question, was Noah a sinner, an unredeemable christian ... when did that occur.

Yes, he was, but his faith gave him eternal life....Christs death on the cross enables all those with faith in God to be saved, even those who lived prior to God taking human form

Yes, he was, but his faith gave him eternal life....Christs death on the cross enables all those with faith in God to be saved, even those who lived prior to God taking human form

... even those who lived prior to God taking human form

including those that were drown, try as you may your 4th century agenda can not dispel the true religion of the Almighty ... Noah's faith did not grant him eternal life nor will it anyone who by their end does not Triumph correctly between Good and Evil, the path of Noah's faith. Triumph over sin to be sinless by that parable is the path to the Everlasting.

Forum List

Back