So What Happened To Blacks After Slavery?

America is still a deeply racist country
1587998339920.png

Chris Arnade
Gone is the overt, violent, and legal racism of my childhood in the 1960s. It's been replaced by a subtler, still ugly version

A week after Barack Obama was elected president in 2008, I walked into my old hometown bar in central Florida to hear, "Well if a ****** can be president, then I can have another drink. Give me a whiskey straight up."

Only one day in the town and I thought, "Damn the south."

I had returned home to bury my father, who had spent much of the 1950s and '60s fighting for civil rights in the south. Consequently, my childhood was defined by race. It was why our car was shot at, why threats were made to burn our house down, why some neighbors forbid me to play on their lawn, why I was taunted at school as a "****** lover".

It was nothing compared to what the blacks in town had to endure. I was just residing in the seam of something much uglier.

It is also why I left as soon as I could, exercising an option few others had. I eventually moved to New York City to work on Wall Street.

In the next 15 years I thought less about race. It is possible to live in the northeast as a white liberal and think little about it, to convince yourself that most of the crude past is behind. Outward signs suggest things are different now: I live in an integrated neighborhood, my kids have friends of all colors, and my old office is diverse compared to what I grew up with. As many point out, America even has a black man (technically bi-racial) as president.

Soon after my father passed away, I started to venture beyond my Wall Street life, to explore parts of New York that I had only previously passed through on the way to airports. I did this with my camera, initially as a hobby. I ended up spending three years documenting addiction in the New York's Bronx neighborhood of Hunts Point. There I was slapped in the face by the past.

In my Florida hometown, there is a train track that splits the town into two colors. When we passed into the black section of town, even if I were lying in the back of the station wagon, I knew it. The gravel roads would wake me, and I could basically smell poverty through the windows.

Crossing into Hunts Point in New York is the same, complete with a train track. The roads are paved, but feel unpaved. The stench of poverty has not changed much (industrial waste rather than uncollected garbage), nor has its clamor or its destructive power.

Neither has the color of its residents: the poor side of town in New York is still almost entirely dark skinned.

It took me a few months of slow recognition, fighting a thought I did not want to believe: we are still a deeply racist country. The laws on the books claim otherwise, but in Hunts Point (and similar neighborhoods across the country), those laws seem like far away idyllic words that clash with the daily reality: everything is stacked against those who are born black or brown.

We as a nation applaud ourselves for having moved beyond race. We find one or two self-made blacks or Hispanics who succeeded against terrible odds, and we elevate their stories to a higher position, and then we tell them over and over, so we can say, "See, we really are a color blind nation."

This is written by a white person.

1. I don't condone any type of mob violence, or destruction of property, nor do I support those who do. There are far more effective ways to protest than that way. And some of those rioting were not even a part of the imediate community

Yet they were rioting nonetheless. And I don't recall seeing too many whites rioting around Florence and Normandy...

2. As far as the church member who stated what he did, the very same aunt and uncle that I picked up that day, belonged to the same church which I have been to as well, and they were traumatized by the entire situation, and actually contemplated leaving Los Angeles afterwards.

I don't know a lot about them. What I do know is that they were good, decent people who I'd be damn glad to know...

3. I did not state that those who helped Denny were ""angels"...

I know you didn't.

I did...

4. My only point was that in your post, you characterized blacks IN GENERAL as cowards, as well as implied that the ENTIRE black community was ok with what was done to Denny, and I simply pointed out the inaccuracy of that sentiment.

I think it's interesting that you take issue with my comments regarding blacks, but you've not uttered a word about how IM2 considers all white people racists, or how he wants to blame me for something that happened over 200 years ago.

Do you share his views?

Notice that those like Cannon fodder don't want to discuss the governments role in creating and fostering racial discrimination against blacks. They come with the standard attacks on black people while they continue showing the inability to accept or demand personal responsibility for whites to change.

Well, as we've established, you can fuck off and die.

I have no inclination to discuss anything with someone who would support the actions of the L.A. Four, yet you make it crystal clear that you do.

You want people to accept "personal responsibility" for what the government did to blacks? Fine, I'll do that as soon as you accept "personal responsibility" for fostering a climate where vermin scum feel justified in almost beating an innocent trucker to death.

I actually discussed this conversation with my buddy over coffee this morning. Daryl's one of my best friends. He's a successful real estate broker, and his wife owns her own successful eatery in the historic district of downtown St. Augustine. His kids; two beautiful girls and a handsome young man who's about to turn 13 and start high school, refer to me as their uncle. Oh, and James (the son) and I share the same birthday, and we treat it as a special day that we can spend together.

His mother, Estelle, is 88 years old and one of the most beautiful people I've ever known. And damn that woman can cook.

Daryl gets sickened when he hears about comments such as yours, and he doesn't hesitate to comment on how much he hates "ni**ers" who blame everyone else for their problems. Daryl's a proud black man. He's proud of his accomplishments and he's proud of his family.

And if you were on fire he wouldn't piss on you to put you out...

1. I don't condone any type of mob violence, or destruction of property, nor do I support those who do. There are far more effective ways to protest than that way. And some of those rioting were not even a part of the imediate community

Yet they were rioting nonetheless. And I don't recall seeing too many whites rioting around Florence and Normandy...

2. As far as the church member who stated what he did, the very same aunt and uncle that I picked up that day, belonged to the same church which I have been to as well, and they were traumatized by the entire situation, and actually contemplated leaving Los Angeles afterwards.

I don't know a lot about them. What I do know is that they were good, decent people who I'd be damn glad to know...

I know you didn't.

I did...

4. My only point was that in your post, you characterized blacks IN GENERAL as cowards, as well as implied that the ENTIRE black community was ok with what was done to Denny, and I simply pointed out the inaccuracy of that sentiment.

I think it's interesting that you take issue with my comments regarding blacks, but you've not uttered a word about how IM2 considers all white people racists, or how he wants to blame me for something that happened over 200 years ago.

Do you share his views?

It is not really "interesting" But If you call disagreeing with your generalization regarding blacks being "cowards", since I'm not a coward and most if not all black men I know are not cowards, of course I said something and cited some examples that illustrate otherwise.

IM2 has never stated from what I can see that he thinks ALL white people are racist.

Speaking for myself, I don't.

As far as your perception that he personally blames you for something from 200 years ago, have you asked him directly if he does?

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
As far as your perception that he personally blames you for something from 200 years ago, have you asked him directly if he does?

I have.

Unfortunately, he's too big a cowardly pussy to give me a direct answer. Based on the content of his numerous posts here, though, it's clear that he does...

I have.

Unfortunately, he's too big a cowardly pussy to give me a direct answer. Based on the content of his numerous posts here, though, it's clear that he does...

I didn't see that. Maybe you can repost him actually stating that "you are personally responsible for what happened 200 years ago", then I can comment.

That being said, I am assuming that you don't actually think that ALL blacks are cowards?

• Thanks

I have.

I didn't see that. Maybe you can repost him actually stating that "you are personally responsible for what happened 200 years ago", then I can comment.

Reread the bold part above...

That being said, I am assuming that you don't actually think that ALL blacks are cowards?

Of course not, because I'm not stupid enough to believe generalizations as IM2 is.

Do you believe that I, as a middle aged white guy who's realized a fair degree of success in his life, is somehow responsible for what the US government did to black 200 years ago?

If not, I would challenge to engage IM2 and tell him he needs to tone down his idiotic "whitey's to blame" rhetoric, because it doesn't allow, at all, for reasonable conversation...

My fathers family were sharecroppers in NE Louisiana. They got cheated every year because they were black. They had no protection from the law. They heard blacks could get a fair shake in the north and that whites were not as racist. This is what my father told me, as well as my grandmother, her brother my great uncle, and my mothers brother who moved to Cleveland Ohio from Harlan Kentucky.

You seem to think that blacks just sat in the south until 1920 then all of a sudden everybody went north ONLY because of the jobs. Not so.
They'd get a "fair shake" in the north? You mean they'd be paid three times as much as they were making in the south...right? Now why would they move to Cleveland? Because it was in the booming Rust Belt and industrial jobs were plentiful? They didn't move in the 1800's...did they? Why? Because jobs were not there in the north for blacks. Those jobs were held by whites. It wasn't until the First World War decimated the white working class that jobs became easy for blacks to obtain!

You're full of shit on this subject, IM2 and you know it!
Racism is why they weren't paid. Reality.

"Racism" isn't why factory jobs in the north were paying 3 times what agricultural jobs in the south were paying! There was huge demand for industrial products due to both WWI and WWII. Demand for agricultural products didn't have the same increases. THAT is reality!
Racism is why blacks weren't paid in the south, and why they had no legal protection against anything whites did. It is why blacks went north and no matter how you want to take racism out of the equation because a black person is saying it's racism, you can't.
Only the pussies ran north, and they were exploited worse there, dumbass.

The ones with brains and motivation make it to my state. Once they made it south of the river, they could get a job being crackers.
Not many slavers wanted to come S. through that swamp chasing them and those that did met resistance from the locals.

I have.

Of course not, because I'm not stupid enough to believe generalizations as IM2 is.

Do you believe that I, as a middle aged white guy who's realized a fair degree of success in his life, is somehow responsible for what the US government did to black 200 years ago?

If not, I would challenge to engage IM2 and tell him he needs to tone down his idiotic "whitey's to blame" rhetoric, because it doesn't allow, at all, for reasonable conversation...

What I read in bold, was not him actually stating that you PERSONALLY are to blame for what happened 200 years ago.

Speaking for myself, I don't know you, so I cannot attest to what you actually believe, and can only go on what I read.

As far as I go, it would be a chronological stretch to assign personal responsibility to you or anyone else here for what occurred 200 years ago.

On the flipside, there are some here who were likely around during the Jim Crow era, which didn't end until 1964, that will swear that before the ink was even dry on the civil rights act, that they became victims of what they call "reverse discrimination". Some even have gone so far as to state that literally EVERY white citizen in America who was born in 1964 or later has been a victim of discrimination that favors no one else except blacks.

And that any measure of success by blacks at all since that legislation was signed, has been at their expense.

As a post middle aged, retired black male that had some success as well, I disagree.

I paid my own way through college, as well as my son and daughters way. And didn't receive any of the mythical "free shit" that is often talked about here.

I took the liberty of reading more posts in this thread, and most of what I see him doing is outlining how some past systemic injustices have contributed to the condition of generational poverty in some black families.

I think that there are some here who take it as a personal attack.

After all, the thread title is "what happened to blacks after slavery?".

JMO.

• Thanks

I have.

What I read in bold, was not him actually stating that you PERSONALLY are to blame for what happened 200 years ago.

Speaking for myself, I don't know you, so I cannot attest to what you actually believe, and can only go on what I read.

As far as I go, it would be a chronological stretch to assign personal responsibility to you or anyone else here for what occurred 200 years ago.

On the flipside, there are some here who were likely around during the Jim Crow era, which didn't end until 1964, that will swear that before the ink was even dry on the civil rights act, that they became victims of what they call "reverse discrimination". Some even have gone so far as to state that literally EVERY white citizen in America who was born in 1964 or later has been a victim of discrimination that favors no one else except blacks.

And that any measure of success by blacks at all since that legislation was signed, has been at their expense.

As a post middle aged, retired black male that had some success as well, I disagree.

I paid my own way through college, as well as my son and daughters way. And didn't receive any of the mythical "free shit" that is often talked about here.

I took the liberty of reading more posts in this thread, and most of what I see him doing is outlining how some past systemic injustices have contributed to the condition of generational poverty in some black families.

I think that there are some here who take it as a personal attack.

After all, the thread title is "what happened to blacks after slavery?".

JMO.

Have you read some of the things he's labeled me as simply because I disagreed with him on the reasons behind The Great Migration? With all due respect, Katsteve...it's hard to take something like that any way BUT as a personal attack!

View attachment 328743

Chris Arnade
Gone is the overt, violent, and legal racism of my childhood in the 1960s. It's been replaced by a subtler, still ugly version

A week after Barack Obama was elected president in 2008, I walked into my old hometown bar in central Florida to hear, "Well if a ****** can be president, then I can have another drink. Give me a whiskey straight up."

I had returned home to bury my father, who had spent much of the 1950s and '60s fighting for civil rights in the south. Consequently, my childhood was defined by race. It was why our car was shot at, why threats were made to burn our house down, why some neighbors forbid me to play on their lawn, why I was taunted at school as a "****** lover".

It was nothing compared to what the blacks in town had to endure. I was just residing in the seam of something much uglier.

It is also why I left as soon as I could, exercising an option few others had. I eventually moved to New York City to work on Wall Street.

In the next 15 years I thought less about race. It is possible to live in the northeast as a white liberal and think little about it, to convince yourself that most of the crude past is behind. Outward signs suggest things are different now: I live in an integrated neighborhood, my kids have friends of all colors, and my old office is diverse compared to what I grew up with. As many point out, America even has a black man (technically bi-racial) as president.

Soon after my father passed away, I started to venture beyond my Wall Street life, to explore parts of New York that I had only previously passed through on the way to airports. I did this with my camera, initially as a hobby. I ended up spending three years documenting addiction in the New York's Bronx neighborhood of Hunts Point. There I was slapped in the face by the past.

In my Florida hometown, there is a train track that splits the town into two colors. When we passed into the black section of town, even if I were lying in the back of the station wagon, I knew it. The gravel roads would wake me, and I could basically smell poverty through the windows.

Crossing into Hunts Point in New York is the same, complete with a train track. The roads are paved, but feel unpaved. The stench of poverty has not changed much (industrial waste rather than uncollected garbage), nor has its clamor or its destructive power.

Neither has the color of its residents: the poor side of town in New York is still almost entirely dark skinned.

It took me a few months of slow recognition, fighting a thought I did not want to believe: we are still a deeply racist country. The laws on the books claim otherwise, but in Hunts Point (and similar neighborhoods across the country), those laws seem like far away idyllic words that clash with the daily reality: everything is stacked against those who are born black or brown.

We as a nation applaud ourselves for having moved beyond race. We find one or two self-made blacks or Hispanics who succeeded against terrible odds, and we elevate their stories to a higher position, and then we tell them over and over, so we can say, "See, we really are a color blind nation."

And then as he drank his expensive champagne and ate his high priced meal he lamented the hate that is going on till this day. Prog white people need to show themselves to their convictions. President Obama to me could have been one of the greatest Presidents. He chose Prog Socialism agendas. With no consideration for anything else. That was on him.

I know you didn't.

I did...

Do you share his views?
I have not said all whites are racists that's why katsteve has not said anything about what I have stated. Nor have I blamed you for something that has happened over 200 years ago. These dumb ass deflections are why people laugh at you when you post.

So What Happened To Blacks After Slavery?

Is the title of this thread.

You have not been labelled, I stated what you were. Your disagreement as you call it is not based on reality but only your opinion. You were shown numerous quotes that stated how blacks were escaping the racism the south and still you want to declare how those statements made by people who are far more advanced in the study of that matter than you, who hold jobs as experts in the field with published work on the matter and such work is recognized as fact, just cannot be true because you deem it not so.

Now let me move on to cannon fodder. This thread is not about what you are being blamed for. It is about the government and what it has done to blacks up to and including this moment that has created the conditions blacks face today. So I won't; not be answering your dumb ass questions.

It has been explained to you that what is being discussed is a macro level situation. Your wanting me to answer a question based on micro level thought just ain't going to happen.

No it was not. Now just look at the truth and accept it.
IM2, for the sake of argument, let's say that we all agree with you and accept it. Then what? What are you going to do tomorrow?
When will whites start understanding this is for them to change? Whites have created and maintain the problems. The things I am posting are an effort to show you what damage was created by what whites have done. And you, a white female, need to understand that you face the same things we blacks do. Your vagina does not spare you from sexism.

View attachment 328743

Chris Arnade

And then as he drank his expensive champagne and ate his high priced meal he lamented the hate that is going on till this day. Prog white people need to show themselves to their convictions. President Obama to me could have been one of the greatest Presidents. He chose Prog Socialism agendas. With no consideration for anything else. That was on him.
Obama was a great president. Whites such as you refused to accept him and your behavior got worse because he was president. He never chose socialism, but the effort to make him non american by whites such as yourself allowed you to make yourselves believe that lie.

View attachment 328743

Chris Arnade

Obama was a great president. Whites such as you refused to acceothim and your behavior got worse because he was president and you couldnot accept him. He never
I propose to you that people want benefits from government and do not want to pay for them. And Idid nothing in behavior, Unlike what Trump got I did accept him in the beginning. Do not mix any one's uneasiness because of the unknown. He ended up being just what was expected by a percentage of people. And that is what is painful. Our nation will not survive total socialism. You have to be willing to pay for it. To work for it. And to live as honorable and ethically as you can as a civilized people. And we will not do that. There will be a growing amount of people who see others collect benefits and stipends living well doing a lot less then them. And they will want to join in. President Obama was not all that. And Trump is not the opposite of him. He is trying to be a President of the people. Not of a few groups.

Notice that those like Cannon fodder don't want to discuss the governments role in creating and fostering racial discrimination against blacks. They come with the standard attacks on black people while they continue showing the inability to accept or demand personal responsibility for whites to change.

Well, as we've established, you can fuck off and die.

I have no inclination to discuss anything with someone who would support the actions of the L.A. Four, yet you make it crystal clear that you do.

You want people to accept "personal responsibility" for what the government did to blacks? Fine, I'll do that as soon as you accept "personal responsibility" for fostering a climate where vermin scum feel justified in almost beating an innocent trucker to death.

I actually discussed this conversation with my buddy over coffee this morning. Daryl's one of my best friends. He's a successful real estate broker, and his wife owns her own successful eatery in the historic district of downtown St. Augustine. His kids; two beautiful girls and a handsome young man who's about to turn 13 and start high school, refer to me as their uncle. Oh, and James (the son) and I share the same birthday, and we treat it as a special day that we can spend together.

His mother, Estelle, is 88 years old and one of the most beautiful people I've ever known. And damn that woman can cook.

Daryl gets sickened when he hears about comments such as yours, and he doesn't hesitate to comment on how much he hates "ni**ers" who blame everyone else for their problems. Daryl's a proud black man. He's proud of his accomplishments and he's proud of his family.

And if you were on fire he wouldn't piss on you to put you out...
Here we go with the I have a black friend who isn't like you based on an assumption made by a white idiot. First off, I don't support what happened to Denny, but you don't seem able to talk about what caused the riots to begin with. The white cops beating down a black man that was handcuffed on video and the cops not being found guilty of a crime. Now until you can talk about that part, shut the fuck up.

So tell your friend Darrel this son, I am a 59 year old black man successfully retired for the last 7 years after building 3 separate NFPS. Then tell him that because I held life. health, annuity, and stockbrokers licenses from 1992 until 2010, I was able to save and invest my money successfully so that now I can live off my earnings and not really have to work for anyone and do personal projects at my leisure for income today. I am not blaming anyone for shit punk, I am stating the mother fucking facts.

You have said you don't believe in God, and that's on you, but I do. And because god has blessed me, I am required to fight for those who have less. Punks like you and your black sellout buddy don't seem to understand that spiritual concept. It's not about building great wealth then dying and ending up in hell. It is about building your treasure with the lord whereby you have an eternal income that never ends.

View attachment 328743

Chris Arnade

Obama was a great president. Whites such as you refused to acceothim and your behavior got worse because he was president and you couldnot accept him. He never
I propose to you that people want benefits from government and do not want to pay for them. And Idid nothing in behavior, Unlike what Trump got I did accept him in the beginning. Do not mix any one's uneasiness because of the unknown. He ended up being just what was expected by a percentage of people. And that is what is painful. Our nation will not survive total socialism. You have to be willing to pay for it. To work for it. And to live as honorable and ethically as you can as a civilized people. And we will not do that. There will be a growing amount of people who see others collect benefits and stipends living well doing a lot less then them. And they will want to join in. President Obama was not all that. And Trump is not the opposite of him. He is trying to be a President of the people. Not of a few groups.
I propose that you go back and look at all of the things whites have been given by the government and stop trying to lecture me.

Jeez, the bile spilled here is unacceptable, what IM2 posted about treatment of black people really did happen, Slavery ended, citizenship, voting rights granted by 1870, but many whites fought their freedom in many ways for decades ahead. America that was supposed to be the land of the free, was a violent hypocrite of that ideal. Segregation

What I object to is trying to drag the ugly past into todays world, then use that to flog TODAYS White people, who didn't own slaves, prevent their citizenship or stop their voting.

Beating on todays Whites who never lived in that way at all, is stupid and unproductive.

We should learn from the past, but not use it to beat down a class of people for it, that can only create hate and anger, create a dangerous blowback that will only harm more people.

We should be looking forward to a better freer future, where ALL Citizens of America be treated equitably.

There will always be a few racist idiots of different colors around, but they can be shoved aside, ridiculed, ignored, don't willingly give them any platform to spread their hate, that includes YOU, IM2.

Jeez, the bile spilled here is unacceptable, what IM2 posted about treatment of black people really did happen, Slavery ended, citizenship, voting rights granted by 1870, but many whites fought their freedom in many ways for decades ahead. America that was supposed to be the land of the free, was a violent hypocrite of that ideal. Segregation

What I object to is trying to drag the ugly past into todays world, then use that to flog TODAYS White people, who didn't own slaves, prevent their citizenship or stop their voting.

Beating on todays Whites who never lived in that way at all, is stupid and unproductive.

We should learn from the past, but not use it to beat down a class of people for it, that can only create hate and anger, create a dangerous blowback that will only harm more people.

We should be looking forward to a better freer future, where ALL Citizens of America be treated equitably.

There will always be a few racist idiots of different colors around, but they can be shoved aside, ridiculed, ignored, don't willingly give them any platform to spread their hate, that includes YOU, IM2.
My point in this thread is that todays whites benefit from recent racist policies and that wealth accumulated by whites today is because of recent racist law and policy. For all Americans to be treated equitably, the inequities created by racism must be addressed. But it seems that there are whites that want to talk about inequities then provide solutions that do not address what caused them.

I have gone far beyond the years just after slavery. And it is time to stop pretending that this matter is just about things that happened before you were alive.

Last, almost everything I have posted was written or a study by someone white. That alone erases the consistent idiotic claim people like you keep making about my racism. Furthermore I have not EVER said all whites were responsible for this and on numerous occasions have made sure to state that not all whites are responsible. In fact I have used the phrase white racists on millions of occasions which is a description of a particular white individual and not the entire motherfucking white race. So then the stale dumb ass he hate whitey bullshit you come to me with is a lie and YOU need to quit repeating it.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back