So, you want the NRA/pro-gun side to compromise...?

Then why the bit that you intentionally left out, "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state..."?

Bear in mind also that "To Bear Arms" was a popular metaphor of the day to roughly translate as "To serve in the military."

It's far from cut and dry. If they wanted it cut and dry, it would be.
The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home.

You don't have to like it, but you can only pretend that it is not so.

And to be sure, 5 out of 9 justices agreed with that interpretation in 2008. But 4 out of 9 did not, and the language is (in my belief, intentionally) ambiguous. We're aware that you've adopted the least restrictive interpretation possible, but don't pretend that the debate is not so.

Once more, if the intention was for there to be no regulation whatsoever, why not say so? If it was intended to be unconnected to military service, why lead off with the necessity of military service, and use an idiom strongly connected to military service at the time?

Fwiw, I don't even have a strong opinion on gun control; There's provocative arguments on both sides of the argument. But it's a little irritating when the pro-gun folks behave as though the debate doesn't exist.
There is nothing ambiguous about the Second Amendment to people who know how to comprehend the English language.

The statement that the debate exists does not alter anything. If the debate existed to return blacks to slavery, would you give it any credence at all? Those of us who think that the debate over restrictions on our right also do not give any credence to this alleged debate.

Just as we don't give credence to the argument that a majority of people want universal background checks, or that they want restrictions on gun ownership.

If the majority wanted a return to slavery, it would not happen. The majority cannot create law that violates the Constitution.

The real debate, if anyone were courageous enough to have it, is the one in which one side tries to make a point that government exists to provide us those rights it seems fit to give us, rather than protect those rights we enjoy as free people.

To Me, there is nothing that the left has or can offer that will entice Me to give up a single right, particularly the Second Amendment. This talk of compromise really amounts to nothing.

The Second Amendment is off the table.

Compromise necessitates that you give a little to get a little, and that you have something to offer that the other side wants.

What does the anti-gun/pro-gun control side have to offer the NRA/pro-gun rights side?

what are you talking about. I have no intention of comprimising with the gun nuts.

There's no good reason for private citizens to have guns.

Compromise necessitates that you give a little to get a little, and that you have something to offer that the other side wants.

What does the anti-gun/pro-gun control side have to offer the NRA/pro-gun rights side?

It's always those on the left that always want those on the right to "compromise". So a better question I think is "Where has the left ever compromised on anything?" Why does it always have to be a one-way street?

what are you talking about. I have no intention of comprimising with the gun nuts.

:cuckoo:

Says the ex-Republican.

Well, not my fault the NRA, which used to support common sense gun laws, has become a tool of the gun industry.

Conditioned reflexive response: Not my fault.

The NRA is the reason you are not a Republican and why there's no good reason for private citizens to have guns.

There is a reason you are always the victim.

Says the ex-Republican.

Well, not my fault the NRA, which used to support common sense gun laws, has become a tool of the gun industry.

The NRA is the reason you are not a Republican and why there's no good reason for private citizens to have guns.

Guy, I've explained why I'm not a Republican. Because if you aren't a rich douchebag, voting Republican at this point is retarded. There's nothing in it for you.

And that's what it is... what's in it for me?

There's no good reason for private citizens to have guns. the reasons you give are utterly stupid (a gun is 43 times more likely to kill a member of a household than a bad guy), but like all problems, there is usually as asshole getting rich.

"It's impossible to get a man to understand a problem if his livelyhood depends on him not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Colt and Smith and Wesson and Freedom Works get filthy rich playing on fears and selling guns to people with no responsibility. And if little kids get shot by Adam Lanza, that's just collatoral damage.

Guy, I've explained why I'm not a Republican. Because if you aren't a rich douchebag, voting Republican at this point is retarded. There's nothing in it for you.

And that's what it is... what's in it for me?

There's no good reason for private citizens to have guns. the reasons you give are utterly stupid (a gun is 43 times more likely to kill a member of a household than a bad guy), but like all problems, there is usually as asshole getting rich.

"It's impossible to get a man to understand a problem if his livelyhood depends on him not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Colt and Smith and Wesson and Freedom Works get filthy rich playing on fears and selling guns to people with no responsibility. And if little kids get shot by Adam Lanza, that's just collatoral damage.

You're a victim of rich people, who can't defend his home or family against violent criminals and who blames the inanimate object, not the man.

I also suspect you sit when you pee.

And this is why we dont trust gun grabbers when they say "we just want an inch, nothing more."

At least Joe-bo is honest about it.

Says the ex-Republican.

He's lazy, or he's just not too bright.

Or both.

And this is why we dont trust gun grabbers when they say "we just want an inch, nothing more."

At least Joe-bo is honest about it.

Even a blind jackass finds the occasional feedbag.

With over 90% of Americans supporting universal background checks, there's no need for compromise, because there's no one left to compromise with.

With over 90% of Americans supporting universal background checks, there's no need for compromise, because there's no one left to compromise with.

Relying on a poll, how quaint.

If you asked people "do you want free money" you would get 99%. Tell them that it would be from robbing other people, and the percentage would go down.

You're a victim of rich people, who can't defend his home or family against violent criminals and who blames the inanimate object, not the man.

I also suspect you sit when you pee.

I blame big corporations selling these things to people who never should have had them to start with.

Nancy Lanza was batshit crazy, but someone at Freedom Works decided she was the ideal market demagraphic... and that's the problem.

Now, your sexist stupidity aside, the fact is, guns are ALMOST NEVER USED for self defense.

Advocating a gun in the house is like advocating a rabid pit pull for home protection.

Forum List

Back