Sonic and Chili's Get On the Bandwagon

Okay, let's work with that number. 20K of those were suicides by gun. How many suicides total were there? And how many total people are there?

How many total people are there? In the US there are roughly 310 million.

Yes, there are about 20k suicides a year that use a gun. But that is not relevant in a serious discussion of gun control. And I will explain, once again, why it is not.

If someone commits suicide with a gun, you can be quite sure that they truly wanted to die. They were not trying to get attention or sending a plea for help. They actually wanted to end their life.

Now, if someone is determined to kill themselves, do you think not having a gun will stop them?
I think it will slow them down, and a gun is far too easy to use in that case, but I'm not suggesting that banning them will stop all those suicides, however, working just with that number, you say that 65 million people own guns and 20k die by suicide each year by guns. That means that 245 million don't own guns, so assuming that none of the non-gun owners died by guns, and that all of the gun owners didn't commit suicide by any other method, what are their rates of suicide? Total suicides are roughly 38k BTW.

According to the CDC, there were 38,364 suicides in 2010. Of that, 19,392 used a gun. So 18,972 people managed to kill themselves without a firearm. Yes, it is easier with a gun. It is also easier to be sure you die with a gun.

It's alright sweetcheeks. There are plenty of other "big gun owners" out there. You aren't alone...

I'm glad you appreciate how my butt looks. But I don't swing that way.

And for the record, I will admit that I am hung like a baby. 8lbs 6ozs. :D

The entire idea that someone buys a gun to compensate for the size of their genitalia is too stupid to even be a part of a serious discussion. It is an attempt to insult someone, and that is all.
No, it's not. It's well-established psychology that humans try to compensate. Guns are one way - money, power, theft, drugs and many other methods are used as well. The guy in the giant truck with the gun rack is saying a lot, mostly I'm not sure I actually have what matters.

Then what does it say when women buy guns? lol

It is not well established psychology. It is pop-psychology at best.

Now, if you want to say that some buy guns to compensate for their own insecurities I can go along with that, to a degree. But insecurities and penis size are not the same thing. And, again, it is not a factor in a discussion of guns, except as an attempt to insult gun owners, and you know it.

How many total people are there? In the US there are roughly 310 million.

Yes, there are about 20k suicides a year that use a gun. But that is not relevant in a serious discussion of gun control. And I will explain, once again, why it is not.

If someone commits suicide with a gun, you can be quite sure that they truly wanted to die. They were not trying to get attention or sending a plea for help. They actually wanted to end their life.

Now, if someone is determined to kill themselves, do you think not having a gun will stop them?
I think it will slow them down, and a gun is far too easy to use in that case, but I'm not suggesting that banning them will stop all those suicides, however, working just with that number, you say that 65 million people own guns and 20k die by suicide each year by guns. That means that 245 million don't own guns, so assuming that none of the non-gun owners died by guns, and that all of the gun owners didn't commit suicide by any other method, what are their rates of suicide? Total suicides are roughly 38k BTW.

According to the CDC, there were 38,364 suicides in 2010. Of that, 19,392 used a gun. So 18,972 people managed to kill themselves without a firearm. Yes, it is easier with a gun. It is also easier to be sure you die with a gun.
Fine, so what were their rates? Gun owners, 19k / 65 million versus non-gun owners, 19k / 245 million?

See the problem?

The difference between suicide with a gun and other methods is that a gun is instantaneous. The second most popular method is pills, which gives you a chance to change your mind. So does slitting your wrists

Once you pull the trigger, it is over

Which shows they are deadly serious about wanting to die.
No it really doesn't, that's jumpers, but a gun is very effective.

You act like it is an either/or question. Yes, jumpers are serious. So are those who use a gun. To claim one is more serious is simply nonsense.

I'm glad you appreciate how my butt looks. But I don't swing that way.

And for the record, I will admit that I am hung like a baby. 8lbs 6ozs. :D

The entire idea that someone buys a gun to compensate for the size of their genitalia is too stupid to even be a part of a serious discussion. It is an attempt to insult someone, and that is all.
No, it's not. It's well-established psychology that humans try to compensate. Guns are one way - money, power, theft, drugs and many other methods are used as well. The guy in the giant truck with the gun rack is saying a lot, mostly I'm not sure I actually have what matters.

Now, if you want to say that some buy guns to compensate for their own insecurities I can go along with that, to a degree. But insecurities and penis size are not the same thing. And, again, it is not a factor in a discussion of guns, except as an attempt to insult gun owners, and you know it.
Who many women buy guns like the one you bought versus women? 100 to 1? 1,000 to 1? 10,000 to 1? It's alright, we understand.

Fine, so what were their rates? Gun owners, 19k / 65 million versus non-gun owners, 19k / 245 million?

See the problem?

What I see is that you made a claim that a gun in the house is more likely to kill or harm the owner or their family. I showed that this is clearly not the case.

Who many women buy guns like the one you bought versus women? 100 to 1? 1,000 to 1? 10,000 to 1? It's alright, we understand.

from: Women Gun Owners: A Trend on the Rise - Guns & Ammo

"According to a report from CBS News, the national total for female gun owners has doubled over the last decade, increasing to nearly 5 million women since 2001."

Which shows they are deadly serious about wanting to die.

You act like it is an either/or question. Yes, jumpers are serious. So are those who use a gun. To claim one is more serious is simply nonsense.

Not it's not. Jumpers are the most serious, by far. A gun suicide can be quite casual, just a drunken moment after a long depression, or a terrible reaction to a sudden trauma or loss. A jumper, they've been planning and they've had a long time to think about since it is not at all easy to jump. It's very unnatural since you will be seeing your death all the way down.

"According to a report from CBS News, the national total for female gun owners has doubled over the last decade, increasing to nearly 5 million women since 2001."
5 out of 65? My bet is not 1 in a 1,000 women own your gun, nor feel the need to.

Not it's not. Jumpers are the most serious, by far. A gun suicide can be quite casual, just a drunken moment after a long depression, or a terrible reaction to a sudden trauma or loss. A jumper, they've been planning and they've had a long time to think about since it is not at all easy to jump. It's very unnatural since you will be seeing your death all the way down.

Casually blow their brains out? lol

If you want to claim one is more serious than the other, knock yourself out. Like your genitalia comments, it is not relevant to the topic at hand.

5 out of 65? My bet is not 1 in a 1,000 women own your gun, nor feel the need to.

Not 1 in 1,000 women own a .17HMR revolver? Ok. Again, your point has no relevance to the topic at hand.

See the problem?

What I see is that you made a claim that a gun in the house is more likely to kill or harm the owner or their family. I showed that this is clearly not the case.

No, you showed the exact opposite actually. It's math in this case. Even if you say that all the homicides by guns, 11k of them, were not related to the gun owner, nearly twice that number did themselves in with their own guns, and they represent a 5th of the population.

Not 1 in 1,000 women own a .17HMR revolver? Ok. Again, your point has no relevance to the topic at hand.

No, I don't think they owned that giant penis substitute a picture of which I posted.

See the problem?

No, you showed the exact opposite actually. It's math in this case. Even if you say that all the homicides by guns, 11k of them, were not related to the gun owner, nearly twice that number did themselves in with their own guns, and they represent a 5th of the population.

Put up your stats and lets have a look at your links.

Put up your stats and lets have a look at your links.
Here: FASTSTATS - Homicide

And here: FASTSTATS - Suicide and Self-Inflicted Injury

Casually blow their brains out? lol
Yes, suicide by gun can be casual. It's a problem.

If there are two restaurants next to each other, both serving the same food, and one says guns welcome and one says no weapons, I'm going with the no weapons. The people I'd meet there would be of a better class.

most people go to restaurants to eat.....if you want to socialize try a Starbucks....just sayin...
I do that as well, sometimes.

You guys go to restaurants hoping to play the hero with a big, bad gun apparently.

no i dont go to Restaurants hoping to play the hero.....i go to eat....i dont know where you get your "tales' from.....but they are amusing....

Forum List

Back