South Carolina Republican Primary Thread

Look, I can't stress this enough, Donald Trump is an omen for the GOP... in all 3 races now, Marco Rubio wins the question of electability, yet Trump still won. Look, so many people say oh, well Trump says it like it is and I like what he says... You know what, talk is cheap. Look, you have two politically seasoned Democratic candidates, you have two politically seasoned Republican candidates, then theres Donald Trump. When you go to a general election, how is Donald Trumpp going to defend himself when he is talking the way he is. "I'm going to build a wall, and Mexico will pay for it," "America is going to be great again," "America will win again," you can only say these things so long until people ask how? And back to my argument, talk is cheap. You can say all that people want to hear, but until you prove your point, you have no credibility. Plus the fact, lets all admit this man is not presidential quality. It's a huge joke, and the GOP is in trouble.
I agree with you that Cruz and Rubio are seasoned politicians. That's exactly the problem. Cruz is pulling dirty tricks in the campaign and Rubio wants a path to citizenship, no wall and lots of lobbyists, large donors and special interests to give favors to. Sorry, I am not convinced that politics as usual is the answer.

Problem is, there's no reason whatsoever to reassess my feelings about Trump AS a candidate, let alone *shudder* President.
Yeah, nothing like winning two primaries in a row, no, wait, he has won ALL primaries so far, none of that should spur you to give the guy a second look because, well that is so hard and all and you might break a nail. :)

Look, I can't stress this enough, Donald Trump is an omen for the GOP... in all 3 races now, Marco Rubio wins the question of electability, yet Trump still won. Look, so many people say oh, well Trump says it like it is and I like what he says... You know what, talk is cheap. Look, you have two politically seasoned Democratic candidates, you have two politically seasoned Republican candidates, then theres Donald Trump. When you go to a general election, how is Donald Trumpp going to defend himself when he is talking the way he is. "I'm going to build a wall, and Mexico will pay for it," "America is going to be great again," "America will win again," you can only say these things so long until people ask how? And back to my argument, talk is cheap. You can say all that people want to hear, but until you prove your point, you have no credibility. Plus the fact, lets all admit this man is not presidential quality. It's a huge joke, and the GOP is in trouble.
I agree with you that Cruz and Rubio are seasoned politicians. That's exactly the problem. Cruz is pulling dirty tricks in the campaign and Rubio wants a path to citizenship, no wall and lots of lobbyists, large donors and special interests to give favors to. Sorry, I am not convinced that politics as usual is the answer.
But an outsider should not be the answer. Experience matters in a job to this magnitude. I'm not saying Cruz's ideas are by any means right, but him, Rubio, and Kasich have experience that running America needs. Donalld Trump wouldn't just sit and say oh I know exactly what to do. America cannot afford to have someone like Trump who threatens the power and diplomacy our government has consistently shown the rest of the world. I cannot trust Trump going to say Iran, and have a civil conversation with him. Trump does not have the demeanor and professionalism it takes to have the most important job in America.

But an outsider should not be the answer. Experience matters in a job to this magnitude. I'm not saying Cruz's ideas are by any means right, but him, Rubio, and Kasich have experience that running America needs. Donalld Trump wouldn't just sit and say oh I know exactly what to do. America cannot afford to have someone like Trump who threatens the power and diplomacy our government has consistently shown the rest of the world. I cannot trust Trump going to say Iran, and have a civil conversation with him. Trump does not have the demeanor and professionalism it takes to have the most important job in America.
I agree with you about his demeanor, but he is improving.
If John Adams and Thomas Jefferson can come in as outsiders and make the incredible Constitution, I would trust an outsider. I don't think Trump will be owing favors to anyone. And that is big. He won't be in anybody's back pocket. How many politicians can you say that about? I think we should eliminate all congresspeople and start over with term limits!

With three percent of the vote in, there's already been twice as many votes cast in South Carolina than in Nevada. The democraps are really energized.....not.
difference between a caucus and primary... SC doubled their absentee ballot vote....that made me wonder if the RNC was stuffing the ballot box against Trump, but he overwhelmingly won....

Nevada ALSO had a RECORD turn out as a caucus.
I guess Roger Ailles is chewing a leather bone right about now.

roflmao

TRUMP_zpsb3hskze3.jpg

Meanwhile the Dems continue looking for a legit Presidential candidate.

NextDemCandidate_zpsw60vztpq.jpg

Does Trump get all the delegates from SC or is this another where the delegates get split?
I don't get this delegate thingumyjig :crybaby:

It's okay darling I don't get it :crybaby:I'm trying to understand it :itsok:
Understanding "delegate thingumyjig". When you watch the Conventions this summer, those people sitting in the chairs wearing buttons and funny hats are the delegates each candidate wins in every State. They cast their vote for the candidate who won their vote.

With three percent of the vote in, there's already been twice as many votes cast in South Carolina than in Nevada. The democraps are really energized.....not.
difference between a caucus and primary... SC doubled their absentee ballot vote....that made me wonder if the RNC was stuffing the ballot box against Trump, but he overwhelmingly won....

roflmao

TRUMP_zpsb3hskze3.jpg

Does Trump get all the delegates from SC or is this another where the delegates get split?

Understanding "delegate thingumyjig". When you watch the Conventions this summer, those people sitting in the chairs wearing buttons and funny hats are the delegates each candidate wins in every State. They cast their vote for the candidate who won their vote.
And when a candidate gets over a certain number, don't know what it is off the top of my head... they get the nomination for president from their party.
Don't worry, we will be watching it with you when it happens and we can talk about what is happening.

roflmao

TRUMP_zpsb3hskze3.jpg

And when a candidate gets over a certain number, don't know what it is off the top of my head... they get the nomination for president from their party.
Don't worry, we will be watching it with you when it happens and we can talk about what is happening.
That number is 1,237 delegates.

And Trump is closer than anyone realizes to locking this baby up.

A Peak at Super Tuesday, March 1st

Who has more delegates right now H or T?

Who has more delegates right now H or T?
Different parties with different systems; apples and oranges

why do republicans have fewer delegates to win than democrats have to win?
I believe, that the number of delegates are decided by the number of people in their party in that particular district. If a district has more registered republicans, then it has more delegates than the Democrats. But I should check that.

Democrats:
Pledged delegates are elected or chosen at the state or local level, with the understanding that they will support a particular candidate at the convention. Pledged delegates are, however, not actually bound to vote for that candidate, thus the candidates are allowed to periodically review the list of delegates and eliminate any of those they feel would not be supportive. Currently there are 3,253 pledged delegates.

Of the 4,763 total Democratic delegates, 794 are superdelegates, which are usually Democratic members of Congress, governors, former Presidents, and other party leaders. They are not required to indicate preference for a candidate.

The Democratic Party uses a proportional representation to determine how many delegates each candidate is awarded in each state. For example, a candidate who wins 40% of a state's vote in the primary election will win 40% of that state's delegates. However, a candidate must win at least 15% of the primary vote in order to receive any delegates. There is no process to win superdelegates, since they can vote for whomever they please. A candidate needs to win a simple majority of total delegates to earn the Democratic nomination.[2]

Republican Party[edit]
The Republican Party utilizes a similar system with slightly different terminology, employing pledged and unpledged delegates. Of the total 2,380 Republican delegates (2,286 in 2012), 1,719 are pledged delegates, who as with the Democratic Party, are elected at the state or local level. To become the Republican Party nominee, the candidate must win a simple majority of 1,191 of the 2,380 total delegates at the Republican National Convention.

A majority of the unpledged delegates are elected much like the pledged delegates, and are likely to be committed to a specific candidate. Many of the other unpledged delegates automatically claim the delegate status either by virtue of their position as a party chair or national party committee person. This group is known as unpledged RNC member delegates.

The process by which delegates are awarded to a candidate will vary from state to state. Many states use a winner-take-all system, where popular vote determines the winning candidate for that state. However, beginning in 2012 many states now use proportional representation.
While the Republican National Committee does not require a 15% minimum threshold, individual state parties may impart such a threshold.

The unpledged RNC member delegates are free to vote for any candidate and are not bound by the electoral votes of their state. The majority of the unpledged delegates (those who are elected or chosen) are technically free to vote for any candidate. However, they are likely to be committed to one specifically.

Last edited:
And once again more than 60 percent of republicans vote for someone other than Trump.
Once again, Trump takes most of the votes, proving there is a movement in this country that we don't like how our politics work. We want a change from the Establishment Rule.

That is exactly right. That is why I think Trump gets most of Cruzes people except the cadre, and almost all of Carsons people too. These are anti-establishment candidates.

Kasich is not getting out before Ohio, which is like March 15th I think. That will already have more than half the delegates awarded and Trump a mathematically insurmountable lead by then.
Trump won't get the Cruz voters that listen to the Blaze's Glenn Beck. Trump is Satan to Beck.

Last edited:

The Democrats use a hybrid system of actual voters preferences as expressed in the primaries and caucuses + the superdelegates who are party insiders. The super delegates comprise approx 1/6th of all the delegates.

The Democratic Party presidential primaries and caucuses are indirect elections in which voters elect delegates to the 2016 Democratic National Convention; these delegates in turn directly elect the Democratic Party's presidential nominee. In some states, the party may disregard voters' selection of delegates or selected delegates may vote for any candidate at the state or national convention (non-binding primary or caucus). In other states, state laws and party rules require the party to select delegates according to votes, and delegates must vote for a particular candidate (binding primary or caucus).

There are 4,051 pledged (or "hard") delegates in the 2016 cycle. Under the party's delegate selection rules, the number of pledged delegates allocated to each of the 50 U.S. states and Washington, D.C. is determined using a formula based on two main factors:

1. The proportion of votes each state gave to the Democratic candidate in the last three presidential elections (2004, 2008, and 2012)
  2. The number of electoral votes each state has in the United States Electoral College.

For the U.S. territories of Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and for Democrats Abroad, fixed numbers of pledged delegates are allocated. Each state and U.S territory will also be awarded bonus pledged delegates based on whether they schedule their primary or caucus later in the primary season. All states and territories then must use a proportional representation system, where their pledged delegates are awarded proportionally to the election results.[56]

The current 712 unpledged superdelegates (or "soft" delegates) will include members of the United States House of Representatives and Senate, state and territorial governors, members of the Democratic National Committee, and other party leaders. Because of possible deaths, resignations, or the results of intervening or special elections, the final number of these superdelegates may be reduced before the convention.[56]

The Democratic National Committee has also imposed rules for states wishing to hold early contests in 2016. No state will be permitted to hold a primary or caucus in January, and only Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, and Nevada are entitled to February contests. Any state that violates these rules will be penalized half of its pledged delegates and all of its unpledged delegates to the 2016 convention.[56]
Democratic Party presidential primaries, 2016 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And once again more than 60 percent of republicans vote for someone other than Trump.
Once again, Trump takes most of the votes, proving there is a movement in this country that we don't like how our politics work. We want a change from the Establishment Rule.

That is exactly right. That is why I think Trump gets most of Cruzes people except the cadre, and almost all of Carsons people too. These are anti-establishment candidates.

Kasich is not getting out before Ohio, which is like March 15th I think. That will already have more than half the delegates awarded and Trump a mathematically insurmountable lead by then.
Trump won't get the Cruz voters that listen to the Blaze's Glenn Beck. Trump is Satan to the Beck.

Beck is a raving lunatic. In the end. Republicans will do what they always do, hold their noses and support the nominee.

Trump won't get the Cruz voters that listen to the Blaze's Glenn Beck. Trump is Satan to the Beck.

Beck is a raving lunatic. In the end. Republicans will do what they always do, hold their noses and support the nominee.

I do not like Glenn Beck either.

Just don't.

I do like Alex Jones and Michael Savage

Beck I do not like.

The Democrats use a hybrid system of actual voters preferences as expressed in the primaries and caucuses + the superdelegates who are party insiders. The super delegates comprise approx 1/6th of all the delegates.

The Democratic Party presidential primaries and caucuses are indirect elections in which voters elect delegates to the 2016 Democratic National Convention; these delegates in turn directly elect the Democratic Party's presidential nominee. In some states, the party may disregard voters' selection of delegates or selected delegates may vote for any candidate at the state or national convention (non-binding primary or caucus). In other states, state laws and party rules require the party to select delegates according to votes, and delegates must vote for a particular candidate (binding primary or caucus).

There are 4,051 pledged (or "hard") delegates in the 2016 cycle. Under the party's delegate selection rules, the number of pledged delegates allocated to each of the 50 U.S. states and Washington, D.C. is determined using a formula based on two main factors:

1. The proportion of votes each state gave to the Democratic candidate in the last three presidential elections (2004, 2008, and 2012)
  2. The number of electoral votes each state has in the United States Electoral College.

For the U.S. territories of Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and for Democrats Abroad, fixed numbers of pledged delegates are allocated. Each state and U.S territory will also be awarded bonus pledged delegates based on whether they schedule their primary or caucus later in the primary season. All states and territories then must use a proportional representation system, where their pledged delegates are awarded proportionally to the election results.[56]

The current 712 unpledged superdelegates (or "soft" delegates) will include members of the United States House of Representatives and Senate, state and territorial governors, members of the Democratic National Committee, and other party leaders. Because of possible deaths, resignations, or the results of intervening or special elections, the final number of these superdelegates may be reduced before the convention.[56]

The Democratic National Committee has also imposed rules for states wishing to hold early contests in 2016. No state will be permitted to hold a primary or caucus in January, and only Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, and Nevada are entitled to February contests. Any state that violates these rules will be penalized half of its pledged delegates and all of its unpledged delegates to the 2016 convention.[56]
Democratic Party presidential primaries, 2016 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Holy Toledo, complicated and confusing!

And, thus Trump has reached as high as he is going to go in this race. His downhill slide starts tomorrow.

Yes indeed. Trump is done for. It's all over - AGAIN and AGAIN - and AGAIN. LOL!!

I wouldn't know about, "again", because this is my first prediction on the subject. Trump has peaked, and on Super Tuesday, he is going to start his slide. It won't be instant. It will be erosion. Most of his supporters are white kids who don't bother to vote, anyway.

And, thus Trump has reached as high as he is going to go in this race. His downhill slide starts tomorrow.

Yes indeed. Trump is done for. It's all over - AGAIN and AGAIN - and AGAIN. LOL!!

I wouldn't know about, "again", because this is my first prediction on the subject. Trump has peaked, and on Super Tuesday, he is going to start his slide. It won't be instant. It will be erosion. Most of his supporters are white kids who don't bother to vote, anyway.
More Republicans are voting than ever before.
Fewer Democrats are voting than ever before.
Combine these two items shows the next President will be Republican. Figure out why people are driving in droves to the polls shows that Trump will be that Republican.

Forum List

Back