Straight from the Senate floor: Senate Takes Up Unemployment Benefits Extension

Senator Boxer came on strong. Stated something about Obama cutting deficit in half, people using money to buy groceries, people working for 27 years. Also talked about Obamacare. Senator Merkley speaking now.

We are talking about Barbara Bulls**t ? Right ?

Strong ? The only thing strong is the reflection off her botoxed face.

Weren't these extended unemployment benefits supposed to be temporary? How about the President and other's who want to keep extending these benefits just admit the truth you don't want a cutoff date for them you want endless benefits which by that I mean you want people to be able to draw unemployment till they find a job or die whichever comes first.
Congress is not addressing the problem. Cutting off benefits does not get these people back to work and neither does paying benefits endlessly.

After a person has been unemployed for 6 months, a year, or more, they are not likely to find a job in their field of work because employers are not interested in hiring people that no one else wants. Many employers simply do not process resumes after the person has been out of work for 3 months or longer. This coupled with the fact that most of the long term unemployed are older workers makes finding a job that much harder.

Dropping them from unemployment benefits does not get them back to work. Typically they become dependents of the family or government or they bounce back and forth between low paid short term jobs and unemployment.

Last edited:
Weren't these extended unemployment benefits supposed to be temporary? How about the President and other's who want to keep extending these benefits just admit the truth you don't want a cutoff date for them you want endless benefits which by that I mean you want people to be able to draw unemployment till they find a job or die whichever comes first.
Congress is not addressing the problem. Cutting off benefits does not get these people back to work and neither does paying benefits endlessly.

After a person has been unemployed for 6 months, a year, or more, they are not likely to find a job in their field of work because employers are not interested in hiring people that no one else wants. Many employers simply do not process resumes after the person has been out of work for 3 months or longer. This coupled with the fact that most of the long term unemployed are older workers makes finding a job that much harder.

Dropping them from unemployment benefits does not get them back to work. Typically they become dependents of the family or government or they bounce back and forth between low paid short term jobs and unemployment.

It really is hard to find a job these days for a lot of people. My dad is unemployed right now (not receiving UI) and has been looking for years now. When I was looking 2 years ago the only reason I got a job at the time was my brother-in-law knew someone who was hiring a temp. I got that and managed to turn it into a full-time job with benefits. (got lucky.)

Anyways, the point is we need more jobs. Not to pay for more unemployment benefits with more taxes that discourage the creation of the jobs we need which keeps people on unemployment benefits which have to be paid for with more taxes...

I think we get the picture there.

It really is hard to find a job these days for a lot of people. My dad is unemployed right now (not receiving UI) and has been looking for years now. When I was looking 2 years ago the only reason I got a job at the time was my brother-in-law knew someone who was hiring a temp. I got that and managed to turn it into a full-time job with benefits. (got lucky.)

Anyways, the point is we need more jobs. Not to pay for more unemployment benefits with more taxes that discourage the creation of the jobs we need which keeps people on unemployment benefits which have to be paid for with more taxes...

I think we get the picture there.
Today businesses's just don't need as many people due to automation, globalization, increased efficiency, or whatever yet the workforce continues to grow. The flattering out of the management structure has eliminated much middle management. Automation in manufacturing over the last 60 years have reduced employment in many factories by a factor 10, at least for those that haven't been shipped overseas. There are plenty of jobs that go unfilled but most of those jobs have requirements that few candidates have.

I certainly don't have the answers but I think we need to rethink the problem and come up with solutions that don't require endless unemployment benefits, possibly using the money we pay in extended unemployment benefits to help the long term unemployed find jobs.

The unemployment extension bill just passed a procedural vote, meaning it will now be moved to the floor for a full vote. Even more than surprising, shocking even, it was passed with a vote of 98-0, a unanimous vote. Those are about rare as they get. Previous procedural vote passed, January 7th, was 60-37. It is yet to be seen whether the bill will actually pass a floor vote.

Senators Reid (D-NV) and Reed (D-RH) talked a couple minutes about how the bill would be helpful to unemployed Americans. Senator Ayotte (R-NH) is now speaking about, :eusa_eh:, Benghazi? She is giving a blow by blow account of the Benghazi attack. Who said what, when they said it, who is behind the conspiracy. Who is responsible for gridlock in Congress? :( Oh wait, she just found out who what was behind it all. Obama! :doubt:

Forum List

Back