Sweet Cakes by Melissa breaks record on crowdfunding site

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
Bravo ! :clap2:

PORTLAND, Ore. - The Gresham bakery that refused to make a wedding cake for a lesbian couple is breaking records with its crowdfunding campaign.

Sweet Cakes by Melissa was kicked off GoFundMe earlier this year, but has since raised more than $350,000 on the crowdfunding site Continue to Give. The growing total, which far exceeds the couple's $150,000 goal, is the largest individual campaign in the history of the three-year-old site, the Washington Times reported. The couple previously netted more than $60,000 from Go Fund Me before that campaign was taken down.

The founder of Continue to Give, Jesse Wellhoefer, said he refused to remove the Sweet Cakes campaign despite "lots and lots" of complaints, according to the Washington Times.

The bakery owners, Aaron and Melissa Klein, were ordered to pay the couple $135,000 in damages, the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries ruled July 2.

Aaron Klein said he has no plans to stop the Continue to Give campaign and there is no end date set.

"The future is unknown," said Klein, who hasn't been working at his job as a garbage collector since he injured his arm. "I don't know what taxes are owed on this."

Melissa Klein is also out of work, except for baking for family and friends.

Klein said he plans to appeal BOLI's decision and if there is extra money when the legal battle is over, he might donate it to charity.

BOLI rules in favor of couple

Following a two-year investigation into whether the bakery violated Oregon's anti-discrimination laws, BOLI ruled July 2 that the Kleins must pay Rachel and Laurel Bowman-Cryer $135,000 for refusing to bake them a wedding cake because of their sexual orientation.

"This case is not about a wedding cake or a marriage. It is about a business's refusal to serve someone because of their sexual orientation. Under Oregon law, that is illegal," BOLI said in its final ruling. "Within Oregon's public accommodations law is the basic principle of human decency that every person, regardless of their sexual orientation, has the freedom to fully participate in society. The ability to enter public places, to shop, to dine, to move about unfettered by bigotry."

The Bowman-Cryers said they were happy with the decision following a difficult two years that included attacks on social media and even death threats.

"This has been a horrible ordeal for our entire family," the couple said in a statement. "We never imagined finding ourselves caught up in a fight for social justice. We knew it was on us to set an example for our two kids - to stand up for what is right."

Aaron Klein said he will file an appeal with the Oregon Court of Appeal.

Bravo ! :clap2:

PORTLAND, Ore. - The Gresham bakery that refused to make a wedding cake for a lesbian couple is breaking records with its crowdfunding campaign.

Sweet Cakes by Melissa was kicked off GoFundMe earlier this year, but has since raised more than $350,000 on the crowdfunding site Continue to Give. The growing total, which far exceeds the couple's $150,000 goal, is the largest individual campaign in the history of the three-year-old site, the Washington Times reported. The couple previously netted more than $60,000 from Go Fund Me before that campaign was taken down.

The founder of Continue to Give, Jesse Wellhoefer, said he refused to remove the Sweet Cakes campaign despite "lots and lots" of complaints, according to the Washington Times.

The bakery owners, Aaron and Melissa Klein, were ordered to pay the couple $135,000 in damages, the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries ruled July 2.

Aaron Klein said he has no plans to stop the Continue to Give campaign and there is no end date set.

"The future is unknown," said Klein, who hasn't been working at his job as a garbage collector since he injured his arm. "I don't know what taxes are owed on this."

Melissa Klein is also out of work, except for baking for family and friends.

Klein said he plans to appeal BOLI's decision and if there is extra money when the legal battle is over, he might donate it to charity.

BOLI rules in favor of couple

Following a two-year investigation into whether the bakery violated Oregon's anti-discrimination laws, BOLI ruled July 2 that the Kleins must pay Rachel and Laurel Bowman-Cryer $135,000 for refusing to bake them a wedding cake because of their sexual orientation.

"This case is not about a wedding cake or a marriage. It is about a business's refusal to serve someone because of their sexual orientation. Under Oregon law, that is illegal," BOLI said in its final ruling. "Within Oregon's public accommodations law is the basic principle of human decency that every person, regardless of their sexual orientation, has the freedom to fully participate in society. The ability to enter public places, to shop, to dine, to move about unfettered by bigotry."

The Bowman-Cryers said they were happy with the decision following a difficult two years that included attacks on social media and even death threats.

"This has been a horrible ordeal for our entire family," the couple said in a statement. "We never imagined finding ourselves caught up in a fight for social justice. We knew it was on us to set an example for our two kids - to stand up for what is right."

Aaron Klein said he will file an appeal with the Oregon Court of Appeal.

Yep...they've got your number. :lol:

My new five year plan: open a business, discriminate against teh gheys, whine to Fox news, start crowd funding campaign, and watch the money fly out of gullible righties' wallets like so much stupid from their mouths. Cha-ching. Instant retirement account.

It's interesting to note, that according to the article the owner of the site has received complaints about hosting the donations. I guess liberals don't even want people to have the right to give donations now.

My new five year plan: open a business, discriminate against teh gheys, whine to Fox news, start crowd funding campaign, and watch the money fly out of gullible righties' wallets like so much stupid from their mouths. Cha-ching. Instant retirement account.

You mad bro ?

An excellent plan...but hurry up before the market is glutted.

You mad bro ?
Why would I be mad? I didn't get suckered. How much are you out? :lol:

I love how people pitched in and helped out this family. :) :) :)

God bless you and them and their help always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. Unfortunately this type of thing is not a one way street. Therefore, those who really do need to be punished will never learn if something like this is an option for them.

You mad bro ?

Yeah you're mad that Christians have been helping out other Christians.

I have always maintained that it is always a good thing when a conservative is separated from his money, even to another conservative. Far better that they prey on each other than on us liberals.

I have always maintained that it is always a good thing when a conservative is separated from his money, even to another conservative. Far better that they prey on each other than on us liberals.
Well, it helps that conservatives have money, while most liberals just have their foodies and monthly government check, no wonder they never support each other financially.

You mad bro ?

Yeah you're mad that Christians have been helping out other Christians.
No, I'm amused that retards like you send money to "persecuted" Christians because you hate teh gheys. :lol: You're a fag

All lazy, worthless liberals think like that.

Forum List

Back