Take our country back, from the Constitution

I think if we actually followed the constitution... we'd find it to be a beautiful thing. Currently, we're ruled by bureaucrats at a gazillion federal agencies who have been given the power to rule our lives one regulation at a time.

Last edited:
Most people who are credible and who are speaking of amending or revamping the Constitution know history. I have never heard any of them make the points you have raised.
What about those who openly espouse taking up arms against the government? In effect, that means taking up arms against the Constitution.

The principles behind the Constitution are cherished, but that document is not the word of a god.
No, it isn't. But, it IS the word of Law.

A document written over 200 years ago is inadequate to fully address the issues that pop up in the 21st century.
How so? What's inadequate about it?

The Articles of Confederation gave way to our Constitution. It may be time for a new one. Is the amendment process adequate? Only narrowly
What makes you think it may be time to trash the Constitution and replace it? Replace it with what?

The people who speak of taking up arms against the government are nuts and few. They may even have more weak kneed emotional followers than you think.

There have always been a few like that since day one...I thought you being a history major woud know that.

and like law, the meanings in the Constitution are debated with disagreements over the text, the meanings, the understandings of those who wrote and ratified...all gets to be judged in a court and we follow what the courts say.

The US constitution is a document written over 200 years ago and it is inadequate in many ways and that is why we debate it so fiercely now...even simple remedies run up against the meanings and understandings of a world much different.,...it is why I gave the War Powers Act as an example. {No standing armies became obsolete in the 20th century, yet that antiquated notion existed in the 18th and 19th centuries and made sense then...today we still argue over the constitutionality of the War Powers Act} -- again, history

Dante is not saying "it is time to trash the Constitution and replace it" in the same way the men who first met to consider the inadequacies of the Articles of Confederation were not calling to trash them and replace them...you are jumping the gun, so to speak

you either agree or disagree the Constitution seems inadequate for the 21st century. If you disagree it is I point out how. What do you do then?

Why should people in Iowa be at the mercy of New Yorkers? We're not a democracy, never have been and hopefully never will be. The electoral college assures that states with smaller poplulations have an equal say in the electoral process. We have the House of Representatives for popular representation.

Would you abolish the senate, too?

If you let democracy run rampant, rural citizens would become vassals to urban citizens.

We are a constitutional republic, or should be. Let's limit democracy to the house and state houses.

Already, we have the best marketers taking the White House. Why give them any more power?

These are straw man arguments in that, when saying the US Constitution is not fully adequate for facing challenges we face in a changed world, and especially the world unfolding in this 21st century, to list how the government is set up does not address the main issue...

Dante gave one example: the War Powers Act. We still debate it because of an 18th and 19th century notion of 'no standing armies'

Get rid of the Constitution in favor of what? Do you want a new one written by the morons in office today who can agree on nothing other than let's give ourselves a raise and go on vacation? Do you want something totally different from the Constitution as we know it if so what would that be?

Translation: In actuality, since we truly are now a shadow plutocracy, that would mean that the corporations would write the new constitution, just as they are now responsible for most if not all of our legislation. Would you really want that? I would not want that... then we'd be really fucked. Think idiocracy.

Why should people in Iowa be at the mercy of New Yorkers? We're not a democracy, never have been and hopefully never will be. The electoral college assures that states with smaller poplulations have an equal say in the electoral process. We have the House of Representatives for popular representation.

If you let democracy run rampant, rural citizens would become vassals to urban citizens.

We are a constitutional republic, or should be. Let's limit democracy to the house and state houses.

Already, we have the best marketers taking the White House. Why give them any more power?

These are straw man arguments in that, when saying the US Constitution is not fully adequate for facing challenges we face in a changed world, and especially the world unfolding in this 21st century, to list how the government is set up does not address the main issue...

Dante gave one example: the War Powers Act. We still debate it because of an 18th and 19th century notion of 'no standing armies'

We debate it because the President should not be able to kill anyone he pleases --which is exactly the situation we have today. Congress should act as a balance to executive power -- it's the main reason it exists.

No, we don't need to be off on any military adventure corporate America deems in its interest. We can't become lawless for the sake of convenience for the executive branch.

Sorry, no cigar.

The Constitution allows for changes. If it was followed, instead of ignored for expediency, we would all be much better off.

By the way, where's the straw man in my argument?

We debate it because the President should not be able to kill anyone he pleases --which is exactly the situation we have today. Congress should act as a balance to executive power -- it's the main reason it exists.

No, we don't need to be off on any military adventure corporate America deems in its interest. We can't become lawless for the sake of convenience for the executive branch.

Sorry, no cigar.

The Constitution allows for changes. If it was followed, instead of ignored for expediency, we would all be much better off.

By the way, where's the straw man in my argument? These are straw man arguments in that, when saying the US Constitution is not fully adequate for facing challenges we face in a changed world, and especially the world unfolding in this 21st century, to list how the government is set up does not address the main issue...

in another post Dante wrote
like law, the meanings in the Constitution are debated with disagreements over the text, the meanings, the understandings of those who wrote and ratified...all gets to be judged in a court and we follow what the courts say.

The US constitution is a document written over 200 years ago and it is inadequate in many ways and that is why we debate it so fiercely now...even simple remedies run up against the meanings and understandings of a world much different.,...it is why I gave the War Powers Act as an example. {No standing armies became obsolete in the 20th century, yet that antiquated notion existed in the 18th and 19th centuries and made sense then...today we still argue over the constitutionality of the War Powers Act} -- again, history

Dante is not saying "it is time to trash the Constitution and replace it" in the same way the men who first met to consider the inadequacies of the Articles of Confederation were not calling to trash them and replace them...you are jumping the gun, so to speak

you either agree or disagree the Constitution seems inadequate for the 21st century. If you disagree it is I point out how. What do you do then?

If only we didn't have the pesky law of the land, government could grow big enough to fix everything!

Are you referring to yourself in the third person?

Did the OP just call Wilson one of our greatest Presidents?

:eek:

I think history and a majority of historians have already done that :eusa_whistle:

Majority of historians, eh? Link?

Wilson was a racist, a war monger, and enemy to liberty. Oh hell, NOW I see why you like him.

Link? common knowledge shouldn't have to be linked, but in this day and age of FOX and Talk Radio and Kieth O B ...

look t up

I think history and a majority of historians have already done that :eusa_whistle:

Majority of historians, eh? Link?

Wilson was a racist, a war monger, and enemy to liberty. Oh hell, NOW I see why you like him.

Link? common knowledge shouldn't have to be linked, but in this day and age of FOX and Talk Radio and Kieth O B ...

look t up

Got it, another "Because I say so" retort. Beautiful.

Wilson was a tyrant and a lie. Again, we all see why you would admire the man.

Sorry, no cigar.

By the way, where's the straw man in my argument? These are straw man arguments in that, when saying the US Constitution is not fully adequate for facing challenges we face in a changed world, and especially the world unfolding in this 21st century, to list how the government is set up does not address the main issue...

like law, the meanings in the Constitution are debated with disagreements over the text, the meanings, the understandings of those who wrote and ratified...all gets to be judged in a court and we follow what the courts say.

No, none of the "examples" given by you and others show that the Constitution is inadequate because of its age. You are operating from a false premise and when the shortcomings of your arguments are brought to the fore, you retreat and holler straw man.

Of course I believe the Constitution is adequate in its present form. If you missed that implication, you need to re-read for meaning.

It just needs updating, that's all. Or, we could simply scrap the entire thing and make a new one, either way I'm all for it.

I can go along with that. As long as our new Constitution outlaws all liberals and idiots, such as you. Sounds like a deal to me!!! :clap2:

Did the OP just call Wilson one of our greatest Presidents?

:eek:

You should go back to your school and demand a refund immediately.

You got robbed.

You should sue your ISP ... your internet connection is obviously in the toilet.

Oh wait...that's where you reside.

never mind

Historical rankings of Presidents of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sorry, no cigar.

No, none of the "examples" given by you and others show that the Constitution is inadequate because of its age. You are operating from a false premise and when the shortcomings of your arguments are brought to the fore, you retreat and holler straw man.

Of course I believe the Constitution is adequate in its present form. If you missed that implication, you need to re-read for meaning.
In guess being a right winger denying reality is just another day for you...

you can ignore examples like the War Powers act all you want, but the evidence is there for all to see.

You keep jumping to the straw man argument that it is about the principles and {strike this}structure{strike this and insert} form of our government that is the main issue...they are not

Last edited:
Most people who are credible and who are speaking of amending or revamping the Constitution know history. The principles behind the Constitution are cherished, but that document is not the word of a god. Even crazy Tommy Jefferson was of the opinion that no generation should be tied to the whims of a previous one.

A document written over 200 years ago is inadequate to fully address the issues that pop up in the 21st century.

The Articles of Confederation gave way to our Constitution. It may be time for a new one. Is the amendment process adequate? Only narrowly.

There are straw man arguments running around in that -- when saying the US Constitution is not fully adequate for facing challenges we face in a changed world, and especially the world unfolding in this 21st century, some list how the government is set up. They argue people who are discussing and debating the obvious inadequacies of the Constitution to address the changes in a very much changed world from the 18th and 19th centuries are wrong to do so. They do not address any arguments head-on. They simply attack either personally, ideologically, or in such a partisan way as to kill discussion.

Like much in law, the meanings in the Constitution are debated with disagreements over the text, the meanings, the understandings of those who wrote and ratified...all gets to be judged in a court and we follow what the courts say. We all on some basic level agree with that...at least those of us who are reasonable and rational beings

Dante
:cool:
dD

Forum List

Back