Teacher Under Fire For Telling Student to Speak English

The teacher might have been a little bit harsh with their actions, but actually I agree with them. If you live in an English speaking country, you should be at least speaking English when you're out in public. What you do on your own time is completely up to you though.

Edit: In another article the teacher told the student to leave the classroom as that's the only reason why I said they might have been a bit too harsh.

How about saying Democrats should be hunted with dogs?

I just heard two Spanish commercials while going for a walk listening to an English radio station. WTF?
They’re not doing it for political reasons.

The sponsors who fund the commercials are in the business of making money and reaching new customers. They wouldn’t pay to have commercials in Spanish if they didn’t think there was a sizeable chunk of Spanish speakers in the listening area of the station.

I'm sure the rule applies to all countries. You live there, then you should at least know how and attempt to speak their language.
English is not the official language.

Does Virgina Schools have a English language only policy.. I doubt that would be legal

Say that, were they speaking to the Teacher or speaking among themselves..

But lets look what the Teacher said:

'Go back to wherever that Spanish-speaking country is and speak it': Virginia middle school teacher suspended for banning Spanish in her class leaving girl 'in tears'​

I read the whole article and the teacher was out of line. I understand his point but he was treating them like adults and not kids. He was highly insensitive and is not the way you treat children. Fair dues to the kid, she fought her corner and showed bravery, I admire her for that..

Forum List

Back