Terms 'Christmas' and 'Thanksgiving' banned at school

Christmas is a nice time of year. But why? Is it the religious, or is it just that people celebrate something? Having a "winter festival", no religious, with things that make it fun, present giving, decorations and the like, what's wrong with that? If kids want to have it as Christmas, then fine, but everyone should be allowed to partake in this, and unless the school is 100% of a faith, then it isn't going to happen.
I loved the nativity play, the Christmas carols, the Christmas card making, the Christmas tree, and so on. My parents are atheists and I'm agnostic, but I still loved the stories about Jesus and the nativity and all the rest, and I still do. I don't think I want it all taken out of Christmas just because some people don't believe in it. There is little to take offence at in these traditions and they harm no-one, so I'd prefer them to stay, and those that don't like them need not attend.

So you're not offended by it so it's okay?

What if you had Muslim holidays and went through all of that, would you be offended? Maybe not. But how many right wingers do you think WOULD BE offended by it?

This is the point. If people would not accept one thing, why should minorities be forced to accept the majority?

Again, does religion have a place in schools? Education is about learning REAL THINGS.
I personally would not like to see Islamic holidays celebrated in regular schools. I'm not sure how this all works in the US, but in Europe there are muslim schools for families who want to stick with their beliefs and not be involved with anything other than Islamic rites and traditions. I would not want my children being exposed to the ceremonies of a religion that honours a man who waged war, married a nine year old, practiced deceit and murdered people. I might not be religious myself, but I do emphatically believe Jesus and his message is a much better example to expose children to. I don't really understand how anyone, other than a Muslim, could have a problem with that. I fully appreciate that you are going to despise this post. Sorry.

What I get from this post, in summary : "I only want those religious celebrations I like to be allowed in schools". :dunno:
So you'd like your children to be exposed to a religion where its founder was a warrior who pillaged, enslaved, married a child and murdered people. Well I'm afraid I don't want that at all, and I make no apology for it.
I'm not so keen on my child being forced to celebrate a religion that had an Inquisition.

"The New York Post reports that Eujin Kim of PS 169 has put an end to recitations of the Pledge of Allegiance as well ..."

That's probably the biggest one I have a problem with. The Pledge is part of that 'assimilation' this 'melting pot' is supposed to be about. We have enough nutters and terrorists coming her who have no allegiance to this country, such as the recent terrorists that killed 14 in Ca. Kids should be taught to have allegiance to this country that is giving them so much, to include the freedoms they are enjoying.

To me, if you want to come to this country and live then you should swear your allegiance to it, to vow to defend it, protect it, and help it prosper. If you don't want any of that then I really don't want you here.

Maybe that's just me, having served my country for 30 years...

A Brooklyn principal is generating controversy for her removal of certain traditions at her school.

The New York Post reports that Eujin Kim of PS 169 has put an end to recitations of the Pledge of Allegiance as well as references to Santa Claus, Christmas, and Thanksgiving.

In fact, the latter terms are being broadly referred to as "winter celebrations" and the "harvest festival," respectively.

These new policies were reportedly communicated to staff in a memo that referred to students' diverse families and that "not all children celebrate the same holidays."

PTA officials were also notified of the changes, and the president has said they include a ban on stars which can have a religious association.

Oy. What's next? A ban on breathing?
I think it is time to get rid of this principal. Also, I would think the Board of Education in that area would be able to override her decisions on this matter. Principals are not monarchs.
There it is....pitchforks and torches.

A Brooklyn principal is generating controversy for her removal of certain traditions at her school.

The New York Post reports that Eujin Kim of PS 169 has put an end to recitations of the Pledge of Allegiance as well as references to Santa Claus, Christmas, and Thanksgiving.

In fact, the latter terms are being broadly referred to as "winter celebrations" and the "harvest festival," respectively.

These new policies were reportedly communicated to staff in a memo that referred to students' diverse families and that "not all children celebrate the same holidays."

PTA officials were also notified of the changes, and the president has said they include a ban on stars which can have a religious association.

Why says there's no war against Christmas?

Again, if kids are singled out for being different in schools, it's not a good thing. It doesn't promote integration at all, it promotes an "us and them" attitude which you can see exists massively with right wingers.
I'm afraid we'll have to agree to differ. I don't want children exposed to the pseudo religion of a warmongerer and a totalitarian political system masquerading as a religion. Everything else is fine by me. Sorry, and feel free to call me a bigot and whatever else. I won't mind.

"pseudo religion of a warmongerer", isn't Christianity a religion of war? Christianity teaches that you can sin and sin and sin, then go to church on a Sunday and everything will be okay again.

Just because people don't go to war in the name of Christianity like they do in Islam, doesn't mean that the religion doesn't play a big part.

If Dubya had been a Buddhist, would he have gone to war in Iraq? Probably not.
Fairy nuff.
But at the moment we are dealing with the Islamist threat, and harking back to Chritianities past is really not very useful. And before you say our former leaders were Christians, that was actually beside the point, they didn't act to further Christianity whatever nonsense issued forth from their silly mouths. We are facing jihad now, on a global scale, and that is all about the forceful submission and eradication of non Muslims. That's what we are dealing with, and that's where we need to focus. The jihadis adore all the handwringing libs who are undermining their own societies, cultures and doing half their job for them. Wake up and put aside the stuff that is dividing people who should be standing shoulder to shoulder, until later.

What is the threat right now?

An Islamic threat? Really? No. It's an extremist Islamic threat.

Harking back to the past IS USEFUL. Read my post 246 a few above this one about fundamental principles. History is a great way of testing your fundamental principles.

Facing Jihad, and doing it BADLY because people ignore the reasons for Jihad and are pretending (and I'm being serious) that it's the same as the Cold War. It's not. And if you make the wrong analysis of the problem, you'll make the wrong solution to the problem.
You really need to familiarise yourself with Islamic history, from its inception, and understand that Islam is not essentially a religion. Then you might be able to understand its aims better. Isis is just one of the most recent manifestation of Islams totalitarian political theocratic system. You need to stop looking at it through rose tinted western liberal / rational glasses, you have no hope of understanding it that way. I can't and won't do it for you, but I really wish you were able to put aside what you think you know and study it afresh, having thrown out the libtard stuff you've been brainwashed into believing. I know that's quite rude, but what can I say to someone who is determined to remain blinkered on this matter?
It must be cool to the the arbitrator of what IS a religion and what IS NOT.

(X)You can thank multiculturalism and political correctness for that bull chit removal crap of our traditions and culture. It's all about not offending other religions and cultures. To hell with ours, we must celebrate theirs. The President can light up the Jewish Menorrah on the White house lawn but no Christmas Tree light up allowed on the premises. This is what happens when white people don't and won't fight for their racial survival. They get chit on.
My goodness.....a white supremist AND a liar all in one. Who would have thunk it.

Attachments

• imgres.jpg
    imgres.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 36
Should school employees refuse to call Obama the President?

I myself would encourage that. I am not a school employee, but I never afford him the title.
You're a foreigner then

Nope. Eighth generation American, born in the birthplace of Uncle Sam. As I have often said, I consider Obama a foreign interloper, wherever he was born, and the Democratic party to be a shill for foreign interests.
I think not. But cool story anyways.

Every child in an American school has the right NOT to celebrate traditional American holidays.

However, every American school receiving taxpayer funding should celebrate traditional American holidays, no question. If someone is offended, they can go to chaperoned study in the cafeteria.

Why not just keep religion at home?
You go to work on Christmas Day without being paid holiday pay?
I did in the Military.
Wow, you got paid by the hour in the military? I missed out.
Wow, your post I replied to said anything about being "paid by the hour"? I missed out.

There it is....pitchforks and torches.

Really? So disagreeing with someone and wanting a change in leadership / administration is now being labeled as 'bringing out the pitchforks and torches'?
:rolleyes:
We watch this all the time on this board. Someone posts a thread with a LIE about something at a school and the pitchfork and torches crowd calls for the head or the firing of someone without even knowing the Truth. You're one of those, aren't you?

Remember the poor teacher in Texas who gave an activity about "Opinion" and "Fact" and the kid went home, misrepresented what happened to her parents and they went straight to the board of ed.....the Torches and Pitchforks crowd here was racing to be the first to lynch her in social media.

We watch this all the time on this board. Someone posts a thread with a LIE about something at a school and the pitchfork and torches crowd calls for the head or the firing of someone without even knowing the Truth. You're one of those, aren't you?

No I am not, but thanks for insinuating that I am to divert attention from your ridiculous comment....

Should school employees refuse to call Obama the President?

I myself would encourage that. I am not a school employee, but I never afford him the title.
You're a foreigner then

Nope. Eighth generation American, born in the birthplace of Uncle Sam. As I have often said, I consider Obama a foreign interloper, wherever he was born, and the Democratic party to be a shill for foreign interests.

I think not.

I know.

But cool story anyways.

No. A sad story.

No I am not, but thanks for insinuating that I am to divert attention from your ridiculous comment....
Of course you're not.....;)

I'm afraid we'll have to agree to differ. I don't want children exposed to the pseudo religion of a warmongerer and a totalitarian political system masquerading as a religion. Everything else is fine by me. Sorry, and feel free to call me a bigot and whatever else. I won't mind.

"pseudo religion of a warmongerer", isn't Christianity a religion of war? Christianity teaches that you can sin and sin and sin, then go to church on a Sunday and everything will be okay again.

Just because people don't go to war in the name of Christianity like they do in Islam, doesn't mean that the religion doesn't play a big part.

If Dubya had been a Buddhist, would he have gone to war in Iraq? Probably not.
Fairy nuff.
But at the moment we are dealing with the Islamist threat, and harking back to Chritianities past is really not very useful. And before you say our former leaders were Christians, that was actually beside the point, they didn't act to further Christianity whatever nonsense issued forth from their silly mouths. We are facing jihad now, on a global scale, and that is all about the forceful submission and eradication of non Muslims. That's what we are dealing with, and that's where we need to focus. The jihadis adore all the handwringing libs who are undermining their own societies, cultures and doing half their job for them. Wake up and put aside the stuff that is dividing people who should be standing shoulder to shoulder, until later.

What is the threat right now?

An Islamic threat? Really? No. It's an extremist Islamic threat.

Harking back to the past IS USEFUL. Read my post 246 a few above this one about fundamental principles. History is a great way of testing your fundamental principles.

Facing Jihad, and doing it BADLY because people ignore the reasons for Jihad and are pretending (and I'm being serious) that it's the same as the Cold War. It's not. And if you make the wrong analysis of the problem, you'll make the wrong solution to the problem.
You really need to familiarise yourself with Islamic history, from its inception, and understand that Islam is not essentially a religion. Then you might be able to understand its aims better. Isis is just one of the most recent manifestation of Islams totalitarian political theocratic system. You need to stop looking at it through rose tinted western liberal / rational glasses, you have no hope of understanding it that way. I can't and won't do it for you, but I really wish you were able to put aside what you think you know and study it afresh, having thrown out the libtard stuff you've been brainwashed into believing. I know that's quite rude, but what can I say to someone who is determined to remain blinkered on this matter?
It must be cool to the the arbitrator of what IS a religion and what IS NOT.
Must be sad to be so ignorant of matters you ought to know about :boohoo:

Semi-related: My husband has been working the front counter while he recovers from his broken neck and he says that almost all the customers have been saying things like "I hope it's not offensive for me to wish you a Merry Christmas" ... I find this sad.

How did we get to the point that the sentiment of a statement was lost. I am not religious, when I wish someone a Merry Christmas it is not a religious statement... Why is this a hard concept for the PC crowd to understand?

Semi-related: My husband has been working the front counter while he recovers from his broken neck and he says that almost all the customers have been saying things like "I hope it's not offensive for me to wish you a Merry Christmas" ... I find this sad.

How did we get to the point that the sentiment of a statement was lost. I am not religious, when I wish someone a Merry Christmas it is not a religious statement... Why is this a hard concept for the PC crowd to understand?
OMG, your poor husband. I hope he recovers asap x

Yea he hit a moose a few years ago, totaled my car :( Then it healed all wrong so they had to re-break it, all kinds of bad... He was out of work for nearly a year to recover from the re-break, but he's doing well now, we just don't want him pushing it going back to mechanic'ing so he's stuck at the desk heh

You'd rather not know what impression your words give, what message you are sending to others?
No, she doesnt care to know how people like yo are twisting her words in your own mind.

No one can be held responsible for what every inebriated fool thinks about what they say.
Thank you, JB. It's not my problem if someone has comprehension problems and then decides to tell me what I think. Lol. So many posters seem to resort to these tactics. It is truly LAME and not worth responding to :)

I didn't tell you what you were thinking. I told you what it sounded to me like you were thinking. Do you not understand the difference?

If you aren't interested in what message the person you are talking to is receiving I guess you aren't actually interested in a conversation. :dunno:

Prayers for your husband...

As far as being worried about if someone is offended by my trying to be nice to them by wishing them a Merry Christmas, I don't give it a second thought.

I don't get offended when someone wishes me a Happy Hanukkah. I would not be offended if someone wished me a 'Happy Festivus'. If you are offended by someone saying Merry Christmas you have bigger problems than me wishing you a Merry Christmas.

Forum List

Back