The 50 most developed countries in the world and Universal Healthcare.

Access to healthcare means counseling, advice and nutrition programs that can help people in poverty and the lower class address these issues.
means counseling, advice and nutrition programs
that dont mean shit unless you follow their advice....

Or ask in the first place.

Of course, he seems to labor under the impression that they can't already go to free and sliding-scale health clinics and ask for that. Hell, you can go to the Department of Public Health and get reams of info on healthy nutrition, if you want it.

Maricopa County, AZ

Oh, look. That took me a whole big 5 seconds to find on Google. There is nothing that Edge's precious "universal health" is going to do about obese poor people that isn't already available.

Guess what, many people in low income areas don't have internet access, computers or cell phones.

Guess what, every library in America has computer access precisely to help those people.

Guess what else, you don't have to have computer access to find that shit out. Public health departments are not exactly hiding their existence from poor communities, you retard. Every welfare office, free clinic, and community center in the fucking country gladly hands out reams of brochures and contact info about public health services. How the hell do you think they disseminated information about themselves before the Internet? If you think poor people don't know where to go when they want something, it's only because you don't actually know any poor people, and you want us to decide public policy based on your cartoonish stereotypes of them.

Living in poverty, and living in low income areas has been proven to be a barrier in improving ones health and education which obviously impacts life expectancy. Many low income areas don't have the services found in most areas of the country. Its not wise to set up any type of business healthcare or otherwise in an area where profits would be low or non-existent. The result is that the people living in those low income areas are forced to live without services others take for granted. That, or they live to far from such services in order for those services to really play a large role in their life. Proximity is important to access and use.

People in the healthcare industry do and Universal Healthcare can bring that advice and those resources to the poor and lower class. Its part of the reason why the Europeans beat us in life expectancy. They take care of the their people at the bottom of the economic ladder.
You actually believe that poor people don't know eating junk food all day is bad for them? That drinking and smoking are bad for them? They are already continually bombarded with advice.

Low income areas in the United States often have poor access to nutritional food at low cost. Its not just about education, it also involves proximity, availability, travel, and cost.

Really? Tell me one place in the US that doesn't have a market selling fresh meat, fresh produce, and basic food staples. I'll wait.

There are many economic disadvantage areas in hundreds of the 3,000 plus counties in the country. There neighborhoods in Detroit that have all but been abandoned. South Chicago, East Los Angeles, parts of West Virginia, Mississippi delta etc. You will find in these areas neighborhoods where quality food is not available or is too expensive for many of the poor. Something might exist down the road a mile or two, but that is unhelpful since people typically purchase what is in close proximity to where they live.

Poverty does impact health and nutrition. Every study done on the subject shows that it does.

I didn't ask you to tell me about poor places, dimwit. Nor did I ask you to vaguely, and vacuously, tell me "there are neighborhoods there", which is obviously an assumption on your part, because you "just KNOW" it's true.

Let me repeat the question, and feel free to go get someone with functioning grey matter and a working knowledge of English to explain it to you:

Tell me one place that doesn't have a market selling fresh meat, fresh produce, and basic food staples.

And for the record, "down the road a mile or two" actually qualifies as "close proximity" to poor people, shitforbrains. Way to prove you're a spoiled elitist who wants a medal for "caring" about the poor without the nastiness of having to actually associate with them.

I answered your question, and you answer me with name calling and curse words. That's not mature, smart, or professional behavior.

Walk me through on why and how? Doctors do not prescribe diets.

People in the healthcare industry do and Universal Healthcare can bring that advice and those resources to the poor and lower class. Its part of the reason why the Europeans beat us in life expectancy. They take care of the their people at the bottom of the economic ladder.
You actually believe that poor people don't know eating junk food all day is bad for them? That drinking and smoking are bad for them? They are already continually bombarded with advice.

Low income areas in the United States often have poor access to nutritional food at low cost. Its not just about education, it also involves proximity, availability, travel, and cost.

Bullshit. No one in this country, except those who live in extremely remote areas, is more than a couple of miles from a grocery store.

When your in poverty, a couple of miles can be a bridge too far. People tend to purchase, if they have the ability to purchase anything, what is in close proximity, easy walking distance. Lots of poor, run down neighborhoods won't have the services you believe everyone has.

No, Chuckles, when you're "in poverty", a couple of miles is no big fucking deal, because you do that and more routinely. Jesus frigging Christ.

And whatever daydream scenario you've made up where poor people are saying, "I'll just have to spend $20 at McDonald's for every meal, because OMG I'd have to go a WHOLE MILE to buy groceries" is just that, a daydream.

People purchase what they want and what they think they can get. And what's possible to get is defined very differently by poor people than by elitist dimwits busily "caring" about what they imagine poor people are.

And I'm going to assume by your third blank repitition of "Lots of poor neighborhoods" that you don't actually know any, and really have no proof they even exist, it's just all about what you're "sure" is true because it fits your narrative.

Next time, just sack up and admit it.

Well, they might, or they might refer you to a dietician. Problem is, you have to WANT to eat healthier and ask them to do so. And for nearly everyone in the US, if they WANTED to eat healthier, they wouldn't need a doctor or a dietician to do it. It's not exactly rocket science, and they all know what's required. People aren't fat because they can't possibly see a doctor about it, whatever Edge wants to believe.

Education has an impact on human behavior. So does having better access to health and food services. We know sex education reduces teen pregnancy rates. This is no different.
Actually, no we don't know that. In fact, the evidence suggests that sex education increases teen pregnancy rates.

Sorry, but educating teens about birth control and other matters involving sex, reduces teen pregnancy rates all across the world.
Prove it.

Teen Pregnancy rates in Europe are well below that in the United States. Children and Teens receive more sex education in Europe than they do in the United States.

Christ, more blank stats stolen as "proof" of your premise, just because you want to assume your ideas are the cause.

I'm sure you're great at rolling a condom onto a cucumber, but you'd still lose in a battle of wits with one.

Really? Tell me one place in the US that doesn't have a market selling fresh meat, fresh produce, and basic food staples. I'll wait.

There are many economic disadvantage areas in hundreds of the 3,000 plus counties in the country. There neighborhoods in Detroit that have all but been abandoned. South Chicago, East Los Angeles, parts of West Virginia, Mississippi delta etc. You will find in these areas neighborhoods where quality food is not available or is too expensive for many of the poor. Something might exist down the road a mile or two, but that is unhelpful since people typically purchase what is in close proximity to where they live.

Poverty does impact health and nutrition. Every study done on the subject shows that it does.

I didn't ask you to tell me about poor places, dimwit. Nor did I ask you to vaguely, and vacuously, tell me "there are neighborhoods there", which is obviously an assumption on your part, because you "just KNOW" it's true.

Let me repeat the question, and feel free to go get someone with functioning grey matter and a working knowledge of English to explain it to you:

Tell me one place that doesn't have a market selling fresh meat, fresh produce, and basic food staples.

And for the record, "down the road a mile or two" actually qualifies as "close proximity" to poor people, shitforbrains. Way to prove you're a spoiled elitist who wants a medal for "caring" about the poor without the nastiness of having to actually associate with them.

I answered your question, and you answer me with name calling and curse words. That's not mature, smart, or professional behavior.

You didn’t answer my questions. You’re rude and a fraud.

Bullshit. No one in this country, except those who live in extremely remote areas, is more than a couple of miles from a grocery store.

When your in poverty, a couple of miles can be a bridge too far. People tend to purchase, if they have the ability to purchase anything, what is in close proximity, easy walking distance. Lots of poor, run down neighborhoods won't have the services you believe everyone has.

No, Chuckles, when you're "in poverty", a couple of miles is no big fucking deal, because you do that and more routinely. Jesus frigging Christ.

And whatever daydream scenario you've made up where poor people are saying, "I'll just have to spend $20 at McDonald's for every meal, because OMG I'd have to go a WHOLE MILE to buy groceries" is just that, a daydream.

People purchase what they want and what they think they can get. And what's possible to get is defined very differently by poor people than by elitist dimwits busily "caring" about what they imagine poor people are.

And I'm going to assume by your third blank repitition of "Lots of poor neighborhoods" that you don't actually know any, and really have no proof they even exist, it's just all about what you're "sure" is true because it fits your narrative.

Proximity of services matters in getting people healthcare and quality food at low cost. Some may be able to go an extra distance, but day in and day out on average, most will not. Poverty impacts health and life expectancy. Every study on the issue shows this. You can remain in denial on these facts as long as you like, but it won't change them.

Education works. Not in every situation, but overall it will bring down the rate of obesity, just like sex education brings down the rate of teen pregnancy.

Education and Universal Healthcare are disparate things.

Education is something that happens throughout life in many different ways. Many people are educated about how to better take care of themselves by seeing doctors and other healthcare professionals.

or they could just use common sense and eat sensibly. Why do you need a doctor to tell you not to eat big macs 3 times a day?

the people of Scandinavia aren't healthy because of socialized medicine, they are healthy because its their cultural heritage.

its amazing how you libs see more government as the solution to all the ills of mankind, including individual stupidity.

Its amazing how some people will resist every attempt to help people because it somehow violates their political ideology. My goal here is to help people and improve life expectancy. Your goal seems to be to simply oppose anything having to do with the government.

It's amazing how some people will insist their personal wish list is "helping people" without ever bothering to find, let alone produce, evidence that it actually will.

roadtohell-w.jpg

My above comment wasn't to you. But I've answered your questions too.

Well, they might, or they might refer you to a dietician. Problem is, you have to WANT to eat healthier and ask them to do so. And for nearly everyone in the US, if they WANTED to eat healthier, they wouldn't need a doctor or a dietician to do it. It's not exactly rocket science, and they all know what's required. People aren't fat because they can't possibly see a doctor about it, whatever Edge wants to believe.

Education has an impact on human behavior. So does having better access to health and food services. We know sex education reduces teen pregnancy rates. This is no different.
Actually, no we don't know that. In fact, the evidence suggests that sex education increases teen pregnancy rates.

Sorry, but educating teens about birth control and other matters involving sex, reduces teen pregnancy rates all across the world.

Sorry, but saying it doesn't make it true. YOU saying it makes it less likely to be true.

Its what the studies have found. Look at the rates of teen pregnancy vs the rates of teen pregnancy in Europe. Educate yourself and you'll understand what I'm talking about.

Ahhh, yes. Let us never forget that you're the king of "correlation equals causation. I'm just SURE it does! They happened at the same time, so it MUST!"

Educate YOURSELF, and maybe then we can stop having these infantile posts where you cite blank stats, and then triumphantly proclaim that XYZ caused them, just because you say it caused them.

Agreeing with you doesn't require "educating" myself; it would require lobotomizing myself. Thanks, but no.

Prove it.

Teen Pregnancy rates in Europe are well below that in the United States. Children and Teens receive more sex education in Europe than they do in the United States.

Christ, more blank stats stolen as "proof" of your premise, just because you want to assume your ideas are the cause.

I'm sure you're great at rolling a condom onto a cucumber, but you'd still lose in a battle of wits with one.

I've posted far more statistics than you in this thread. I don't recall you posting any. You just have a grand assumption that anything I post is wrong, which is not logical. How about posting some statistics of your own for once, that support your point of view.

Sorry, but saying it doesn't make it true. YOU saying it makes it less likely to be true.

Its what the studies have found. Look at the rates of teen pregnancy vs the rates of teen pregnancy in Europe. Educate yourself and you'll understand what I'm talking about.

Ahhh, yes. Let us never forget that you're the king of "correlation equals causation. I'm just SURE it does! They happened at the same time, so it MUST!"

Educate YOURSELF, and maybe then we can stop having these infantile posts where you cite blank stats, and then triumphantly proclaim that XYZ caused them, just because you say it caused them.

Agreeing with you doesn't require "educating" myself; it would require lobotomizing myself. Thanks, but no.

You seem to be more interested in talking about ME, rather than the topic. Instead of talking about ME, why don't you post some statistics of your own that would support your point of view or refute the statistics I have posted in this thread.

Wrong. You did not. You are not a real U2 fan and you also ignore my data and spew your own. That is plain rude. Why do you portray yourself as a U2 fan when you are not one?

Wrong. You did not. You are not a real U2 fan and you also ignore my data and spew your own. That is plain rude. Why do you portray yourself as a U2 fan when you are not one?

Not really sure why this is an issue, but what evidence do you have that I'm not a U2 fan?

Education works. Not in every situation, but overall it will bring down the rate of obesity, just like sex education brings down the rate of teen pregnancy.

Education is something that happens throughout life in many different ways. Many people are educated about how to better take care of themselves by seeing doctors and other healthcare professionals.

IF they ask. You're assuming they're all dying to do so, and are somehow being utterly blocked from any and all contact with healthcare professionals. You're insane.

Living in poverty, living in low income areas, are barriers to improving ones health and education.

Living in poverty is a barrier to pretty much everything, so congratulations for being "brilliant" enough to figure out that being poor sucks.

That being said, poor people DO have access to food, and they DO have access to doctors, and they DO already know the difference between junk food and healthy food.

Maybe, if you really want to "help" people so much, you could start by not assuming they're all dumber than a box of rocks.

Not really sure why this is an issue, but what evidence do you have that I'm not a U2 fan?

How long to sing this song? I used that reference like 5x and you utterly ignored it. No real U2 fan would and yes it makes you not credible. Sorry, sir. You're a fraud. Understand now? Don't represent something you are not.

Access to healthcare means counseling, advice and nutrition programs that can help people in poverty and the lower class address these issues.

Or ask in the first place.

Of course, he seems to labor under the impression that they can't already go to free and sliding-scale health clinics and ask for that. Hell, you can go to the Department of Public Health and get reams of info on healthy nutrition, if you want it.

Maricopa County, AZ

Oh, look. That took me a whole big 5 seconds to find on Google. There is nothing that Edge's precious "universal health" is going to do about obese poor people that isn't already available.

Guess what, many people in low income areas don't have internet access, computers or cell phones.

Guess what, every library in America has computer access precisely to help those people.

Guess what else, you don't have to have computer access to find that shit out. Public health departments are not exactly hiding their existence from poor communities, you retard. Every welfare office, free clinic, and community center in the fucking country gladly hands out reams of brochures and contact info about public health services. How the hell do you think they disseminated information about themselves before the Internet? If you think poor people don't know where to go when they want something, it's only because you don't actually know any poor people, and you want us to decide public policy based on your cartoonish stereotypes of them.

Living in poverty, and living in low income areas has been proven to be a barrier in improving ones health and education which obviously impacts life expectancy. Many low income areas don't have the services found in most areas of the country. Its not wise to set up any type of business healthcare or otherwise in an area where profits would be low or non-existent. The result is that the people living in those low income areas are forced to live without services others take for granted. That, or they live to far from such services in order for those services to really play a large role in their life. Proximity is important to access and use.

Being poor in and of itself is less of an impact on life expectancy in the US than you imagine it is. Again, it's about individual choices, and poor people DO have choices, and DO know that they have them, whatever your "benevolent" condescension wants to tell you.

"Many low income areas don't have stuff. They don't. No, I can't prove it, but I'm sure it's true, so I'll just keep saying it and ignoring your demands for proof in the hope that you won't notice I'm a pussy!"

This just in, Mr. "I Care About Poor People, But I Don't Know Any": healthcare doesn't just come from for-profit fancy doctors' offices like you maybe go to. You know that link to the Maricopa County Department of Public Health that you dismissed without opening earlier by airily saying, "Poor people don't have computers so they can't possibly know about that"? Contains information about free and sliding-scale medical clinics in poor areas. Not to mention that the United States spends almost $600 billion a year on Medicaid. In case you weren't aware of it, Medicaid is healthcare for poor people. How do you suppose we're managing to spend $600 billion a year on healthcare for poor people if there's no place for poor people to get healthcare, you fucking moron?

Yes, poor people live without a lot of the conveniences of life that money provides. Undeniable. That's not the same as "can't get anything at all."

And I'm done asking you to provide proof instead of assertions of "This is fact. Because I say it is. It JUST IS!!!" From here on in, every time you make a statement without proof, I'm just going to take it as "I'm a lying asshole and I know it", and count it as a surrender on your part. There's only so long I can assume you're a drooling moron before I have to accept that you're actually just a maliciously lying shitbag.

IF they ask. You're assuming they're all dying to do so, and are somehow being utterly blocked from any and all contact with healthcare professionals. You're insane.

Living in poverty, living in low income areas, are barriers to improving ones health and education.

Living in poverty is a barrier to pretty much everything, so congratulations for being "brilliant" enough to figure out that being poor sucks.

That being said, poor people DO have access to food, and they DO have access to doctors, and they DO already know the difference between junk food and healthy food.

Maybe, if you really want to "help" people so much, you could start by not assuming they're all dumber than a box of rocks.

My point is that low income areas do not have the same access to health services and quality food at low cost. When I say access, that also includes proximity which means around the corner or down the block as opposed to being two miles away. I've never claimed anyone was dumb. People in low income areas have the same IQ as the rest of the population. Their problems are the circumstances that they are born into. I'm offering solutions to help them. Solutions that your against for some strange reason. Solutions that have been proven to work in other countries.

No, you did NOT answer my question, which is not mature or smart. What "professional" has to do with anything, I have no idea. I don't get paid for posting to this message board, do you?

If you don't want to get called names, try REALLY answering the question, rather than just parroting your talking points yet again and hoping that THIS time, I'll take your word for it, even though the previous sixty times, I told you you were an idiot with no proof.

I'm fully prepared to ask this question until you provide a REAL answer:

Proximity of services matters in getting people healthcare and quality food at low cost. Some may be able to go an extra distance, but day in and day out on average, most will not. Poverty impacts health and life expectancy. Every study on the issue shows this. You can remain in denial on these facts as long as you like, but it won't change them.

Assertion without proof. I accept your admission of being a lying shitbag, and your unequivocal surrender on this subject.

Forum List

Back