The abortion of Down's syndrome babies is absolute moral depravity

The premise that life begins at conception doesn't hold. The egg is alive, the sperm is alive, the zygote is alive. Maintaining this is a human is an opinion in a range of opinions. Pretending that we do not, individually and collectively, make decisions about life is patently absurd and obviously wrong. At the point of a fertilized egg, the prodigious nature of life dictates that many will not mature. That human intelligence would intervene to spare suffering and disability is not unnatural.
Read an embryology text book because clearly you don't understand the definition of life.

“In that fraction of a second when the chromosomes form pairs, the sex of the new child will be determined, hereditary characteristics received from each parent will be set, and a new life will have begun.” Kaluger, G., and Kaluger, M., Human Development: The Span of Life, page 28-29, The C.V. Mosby Co., St. Louis, 1974.

“It is the penetration of the ovum by a sperm and the resulting mingling of nuclear material each brings to the union that constitutes the initiation of the life of a new individual.” Clark Edward and Corliss Patten’s Human Embryology, McGraw – Hill Inc., 30

“Although it is customary to divide human development into prenatal and postnatal periods, it is important to realize that birth is merely a dramatic event during development resulting in a change in environment.” The Developing Human: Clinically Oriented Embryology fifth edition, Moore and Persaud, 1993, Saunders Company, page 1

Some people claim that the death of school students is a reasonable price to pay for the right to bear arms.
Some people claim they have a right to tell women to bear.
What is the right of a woman to choose worth?
No one that I know claims that the death of school students is a reasonable price to pay for the right to bear arms. That's why we have laws designed to deter it.

You do realize the child played no role in the pregnancy, right? Yet you think it is acceptable to punish the child?

and have an opportunity to control their own destiny.

Unless you are born with severe cognitive disabilities and then you cannot control your own destiny.........
That is true. So what? Neither can new born babies. Is it OK to snuff out their life too?

^^^ I know. That's been my argument. Now that you have conceded.........

So then newborn babies who don't control their destinies and rely on others are OK to snuff out?

Unless you are born with severe cognitive disabilities and then you cannot control your own destiny.........
That is true. So what? Neither can new born babies. Is it OK to snuff out their life too?

So then newborn babies who don't control their destinies and rely on others are OK to snuff out?

That's a leap. Wanna try again?

No leap at all. It is the logical conclusion of your beliefs.

I on the other hand don't have that problem as I believe that we should let nature take its course. That pregnancies and outcomes are the consequences of actions and that the only way for people to become responsible is to hold them accountable for their actions.

I think you need to face the reality that you are a eugenicist like Slyhunter.

You don't have an argument. I think you need to grow up.
`

I on the other hand don't have that problem as I believe that we should let nature take its course. That pregnancies and outcomes are the consequences of actions and that the only way for people to become responsible is to hold them accountable for their actions.

You can't do that with severe cognitive disabilities----which you just conceded.

Ding must be lost. Go back to the shit pit. Thanks.

Meanwhile, as long as the person carrying that child has a say...its HER CHOICE. Period.

Meanwhile, as long as the person carrying that child has a say...its HER CHOICE. Period.
Whose job is it to speak for the child?

You don't have an argument. I think you need to grow up.
`

You can't do that with severe cognitive disabilities----which you just conceded.
What exactly did I concede, Disir? That people who have cognitive disabilities need help? Sure. So what? Apparently they also need help in protecting them from people like you who dehumanize them and rationalize that it is moral to end their lives.

Whose job is it to speak for the child?
The mothers. Deal with it.
They aren't doing a very good job of it if they want to end their lives for selfish reasons, Gracie.
They are the vessel. Their choice. Again...deal with it.
The vessel sure. Also the one who created the child through her actions. Actions which have consequences.

But she is not the child, who had nothing to do with her actions and should not be punished for her actions. The child is a new genetically distinct human being who has never existed before and will never exist again who only gets one chance for life.

The abortion issue depends on one's conception of the "soul". I don't think a "person" exists until a critical mass of awareness and identity are established in a brain. When does that happen? Not sure. But I don't think it's there before live birth. So I'm ok with abortion.
Ummmm.... no. It is based upon when a new genetically distinct human being who has never existed and will never exist again has come into being.
You’re both right.

And you’re both at liberty to believe as you see fit – to either be ok with abortion or oppose it – and to freely express your respective viewpoints, all the benefit of the right to privacy, without interference from the state.

Let’s keep it that way.

What about babies that will be born to an awful life full of pain and nothing but hospital stays? Is the mother who is making minimum wage still supposed to let it be born, or have mercy on it and end the pregnancy?
And I would say who are you to predict what the future holds. I would say that let nature take its course. Who knows how things will turn out. There are billions of people who live in poverty right now. I don't see them ending their lives because of it. So they must believe that their life is worth living.
I'm ready to die.
Every night I go to bed hoping not to wake up in the morning.
I pay 60% of my household rent. I could deprive my family of a months rent and buy a gun, but that wouldn't be right.

Nature is inhumane.
Tell that to the Deer who is being eaten alive by the Lion ignoring the Deer's pleas for mercy.

Forum List

Back