The battle for the soul of America.

I shouldn't have to walk by stste sponsored BLM propaganda or murals of the criminal George Floyd in Mpls either.
Yet, I won't be a pussy and tear them down. Simply walk by and ignore that shit.

If it's on public property you can complain.
A roadway is public property and BLM is painted on streets in multiple cities. The propaganda has reached public schools, with messaging of BLM.
View attachment 396978
This obvious one sided messaging in happening nationwide, so yeah, dick. I am gonna complain.

I disagreed with the mayor of NYC allowing people to paint BLM on the streets. I fully support them doing so as a sign of protest though. I also support those who painted over it as a sign of protest.
Well, that is a fair answer. But I still don't support vandalism in the form of graffiti from any party.

Don't call those peacefully protesting SOB's and maybe it doesn't come to that.

A stunning legal drama unfolded before the King’s Bench in London in early 1772. James Somerset, a slave brought to England from the American colonies, petitioned the court for a writ of habeas corpus, which would free him from confinement on his enslaver’s ship. Lord Mansfield, the judge reviewing the case, granted the writ in a stinging rebuke of Somerset’s captors: “The state of slavery is of such a nature, that it is incapable of being introduced on any reasons, moral or political; but only positive law, which preserves its force long after the reasons, occasion, and time itself from whence it was created, is erased from memory.” As no such law existed in England proper, Somerset was to be freed.

The judgment’s narrow construction intentionally limited its immediate implications. When word of the case crossed the Atlantic, Benjamin Franklin wrote his abolitionist friend Anthony Benezet to denounce “the hypocrisy of this country, which encourages such a detestable commerce by laws for promoting the Guinea trade; while it piqued itself on its virtue, love of liberty, and the equity of its courts, in setting free a single negro.” Somerset’s case would nonetheless put the first chip in the legal edifice of plantation slavery, and with it set the foundations for a neglected tradition of anti-slavery constitutionalism.

When mentioned at all today, Somerset’s case often suffers from the political distortion of our present moment. The New York Times’ 1619 Project attempted to repurpose Mansfield’s ruling as evidence that the American colonies revolted some four years later in response to the existential threat that the case supposedly created for the colonial slave system. In reality, the British Empire still remained a half century removed from emancipation — a cause that found its earliest parliamentary support among Charles James Fox, Edmund Burke, and other Whig supporters of the American revolutionaries. And while the Times grudgingly walked back its claim that protecting slavery provided a primary impetus for the events of 1776, the paper offered no indication that Somerset’s brand of anti-slavery constitutionalism took root in the nascent United States.

A salient point: >>> the political distortion of our present moment.

My family were coal miners. The only slave we ever owned was a donkey. He worked very hard but lived very well. The big problem is these lunkheads believe what the movies portray to be real. I have no doubt that there may have been some abuse but why would you starve and mistreat something of value that you depend on to earn your money?

The reason coal miners did well was because of those before them willing to resort to violence and suffering to see that it was the case.

I've been to Matewan. It wasn't just a movie.
My grandfather walked 5 miles to work and dug coal 10 hours a day for $0.25 a tonne. Had to hand load push the cart out of the mine to the scale. Being able to buy that donkey not only got him to work faster but pulled the cart out faster allowing him to almost double his pay.

The best miners could do maybe 11 ton in the best of scenarios. So that would be less than $3.00 a day in company scrip.
Three dollars was a lot of money in those days. He was lucky to work for someone who paid cash not script. Owned his own farm. He was born in 1879 by the way.

My family were coal miners. The only slave we ever owned was a donkey. He worked very hard but lived very well. The big problem is these lunkheads believe what the movies portray to be real. I have no doubt that there may have been some abuse but why would you starve and mistreat something of value that you depend on to earn your money?

The reason coal miners did well was because of those before them willing to resort to violence and suffering to see that it was the case.

I've been to Matewan. It wasn't just a movie.
My grandfather walked 5 miles to work and dug coal 10 hours a day for $0.25 a tonne. Had to hand load push the cart out of the mine to the scale. Being able to buy that donkey not only got him to work faster but pulled the cart out faster allowing him to almost double his pay.

The best miners could do maybe 11 ton in the best of scenarios. So that would be less than $3.00 a day in company scrip.
Three dollars was a lot of money in those days. He was lucky to work for someone who paid cash not script. Owned his own farm. He was born in 1879 by the way.

That wasn't the experience of the vast majority.

Sorry its history & art. add a brass plate explaining the why & why not's of this person having a statue & get on with life. We have real problems. dead people cant fix them.

Asking a black man to pass by a statue honoring someone that fought to keep his ancestors in slavery as he goes to the courthouse to pay his taxes is wrong.

Just because "historically" we did it does not make it right.

The primary purpose of statues is to note history, not necessarily to promote history.

If this is true, why don't we have a diverse bunch of statues? History is not made up solely of the activities of confederate generals on horseback. Any statues to commemorate Sojourner Truth, Harriet Tubman, the folks who ran the Underground Railroad, the Seneca Falls Convention of 1848, Susan B. Anthony, Frederick Douglass, etc.?

Asking a black man to pass by a statue honoring someone that fought to keep his ancestors in slavery as he goes to the courthouse to pay his taxes is wrong.

The primary purpose of statues is to note history, not necessarily to promote history.

If this is true, why don't we have a diverse bunch of statues? History is not made up solely of the activities of confederate generals on horseback. Any statues to commemorate Sojourner Truth, Harriet Tubman, the folks who ran the Underground Railroad, the Seneca Falls Convention of 1848, Susan B. Anthony, Frederick Douglass, etc.?

The US has fewer than 400 statues of women—but that’s changing

It's fascinating that you think you are qualified to sit in judgement of such matters.

We might say that about any woman passing by a statue of any man who lived before the 1980's. Women have been traditionally oppressed by males.

The Irish

The Chinese

Hispanics

All have had to go through a period of oppression and assimilation.

What about men who cheated on their wives ? There goes MLK.

Each state should be allowed to make a choice.

And anyone who arbitrarily tears down statues should pay to have them replaced and also to add three more.

It's fascinating that you think you are qualified to sit in judgement of such matters.

That's not the argument? I just made this all up?

We might say that about any woman passing by a statue of any man who lived before the 1980's. Women have been traditionally oppressed by males.

Then I will argue we need to consider their positions.

The Irish

The Chinese

Hispanics

Make your argument.

Each state should be allowed to make a choice.

And anyone who arbitrarily tears down statues should pay to have them replaced and also to add three more.

Each state can make the choice. Many have.

The Irish

The Chinese

Hispanics

Make your argument.

None of your quotes make any sense.

Why don't you try to be a little more clear.

The point is that we can honor lots of people who were not perfect.

If you want only saints, we should just declare no statues.

The Irish

The Chinese

Hispanics

Make your argument.

I was very clear. You simply can't address my point.

Interesting that a person with a Bible quotation in his sig would say such a thing.
Did the logic go over your head?

Black people today are far better off in America than they would be in africa

The Irish

The Chinese

Hispanics

Make your argument.

No, you were not clear.

And I put out a clear point of my own.

If we only want saints, we should say so (and pretty much get rid of all statues).

Then we should outlaw dust and dirt.

The Irish

The Chinese

Hispanics

Make your argument.

No, you were not clear.

And I put out a clear point of my own.

If we only want saints, we should say so (and pretty much get rid of all statues).

Then we should outlaw dust and dirt.

I said that if you have a problem with a statue make it. I made the complaints of others and you have not addressed it outside of "too bad".

Forum List

Back