the Bible alone

Because you folks are always going on about how Jesus said this, and god said that, when all that stuff is made up, as in, not true.

You sound very definite on that. You don't, however, have any more standing to insist that it is not true than I do saying it is. IOW, you don't know what God says and what He doesn't. And it's not just me you'll have to convince of your pipeline to God, it's millions of people over thousands of years who have discovered the truth and power in the Word.

But you folks seem to believe some stuff in the bible and not other stuff. It's called cherry picking.

1. Cherry picking is not obedience.
2. A thorough understanding of the Word shows what God desires from us, not just, as you say, cherry picking what you think you can throw at someone.
3. Obviously, the idea of people discussing the Bible in public bothers you. That's called conviction, and I believe you are feeling that daily, based on what you've been posting.

Now, why does any of this bother you? You sound like someone trying to tell two physicists arguing over string theory that they shouldn't do it because string theory hasn't been proven yet.
What you claim to be the word of god has no basis in reality. As in, no proof. Whatsoever. Millions of people over time believing in something does not make it real, or the truth. You'd need proof. Show me some.
Would you accept proof that you, and you alone, could verify? IOW, proof that someone in your current position would never accept?
Proof that could pass scientific scrutiny would do. I'll agree if the scientific community agrees.
What sort of proof is that, from which scientific field? Astronomy, Biology, Geology?

There's a problem with that. The scientific community is supposed to change its mind when presented with evidence that contradicts prior belief. For example, had you proposed that standard only a few centuries ago, the scientific community would have agreed that the sun revolved around the earth, which was at the center of the universe. "Proof" that satisfies today's scientific community may be considered laughable by tomorrow's. Do you want to base eternal belief on something so fluid?
We're talking about the scientific community of today. If they say your proof is good, I'm ok with that. So what you got, brah?

You sound very definite on that. You don't, however, have any more standing to insist that it is not true than I do saying it is. IOW, you don't know what God says and what He doesn't. And it's not just me you'll have to convince of your pipeline to God, it's millions of people over thousands of years who have discovered the truth and power in the Word.

2. A thorough understanding of the Word shows what God desires from us, not just, as you say, cherry picking what you think you can throw at someone.
3. Obviously, the idea of people discussing the Bible in public bothers you. That's called conviction, and I believe you are feeling that daily, based on what you've been posting.

Now, why does any of this bother you? You sound like someone trying to tell two physicists arguing over string theory that they shouldn't do it because string theory hasn't been proven yet.
What you claim to be the word of god has no basis in reality. As in, no proof. Whatsoever. Millions of people over time believing in something does not make it real, or the truth. You'd need proof. Show me some.
Would you accept proof that you, and you alone, could verify? IOW, proof that someone in your current position would never accept?
Proof that could pass scientific scrutiny would do. I'll agree if the scientific community agrees.
What sort of proof is that, from which scientific field? Astronomy, Biology, Geology?

There's a problem with that. The scientific community is supposed to change its mind when presented with evidence that contradicts prior belief. For example, had you proposed that standard only a few centuries ago, the scientific community would have agreed that the sun revolved around the earth, which was at the center of the universe. "Proof" that satisfies today's scientific community may be considered laughable by tomorrow's. Do you want to base eternal belief on something so fluid?
We're talking about the scientific community of today. If they say your proof is good, I'm ok with that. So what you got, brah?
The problem is you're relying on someone other than yourself to tell you something is true instead of investigating it for yourself. The Bible isn't a science textbook, yet you're trying to hold it to the standard of a science textbook.

The problem is you're relying on someone other than yourself to tell you something is true instead of investigating it for yourself. The Bible isn't a science textbook, yet you're trying to hold it to the standard of a science textbook.
So if I can't hold the bible up to real scrutiny, wtf good is it aside from a philosophy book?

As long as you can point to that one thing and say it's not 100% accurate based on today's scientific understanding, you can ignore the parts that convict you of sin, I get it. Either way, it's irrelevant to the discussion.
If some parts of the bible are made up, it puts into question the validity of all the claims in the bible. Used as a book of philosophy to teach a moral code, ok, I can be down with that. But saying that it's the word of some invisible being, um... no. Not even close.
You made my point, but you should be able to see that does not intersect with Christians talking to other Christians about their attitudes toward the Church they attend.
I'm trying to help you see that your bible isn't true. Or find evidence that it is, but so far, nada.
Based on what I've seen you post elsewhere, you seem fixated on doing that. Have you ever thought about why it's so important for you to destroy the faith others have?
Because you folks are always going on about how Jesus said this, and god said that, when all that stuff is made up, as in, not true. But you folks seem to believe some stuff in the bible and not other stuff. It's called cherry picking.
This thread isn't about any of that. You are trolling.

So if I can't hold the bible up to real scrutiny, wtf good is it aside from a philosophy book?
Do you hold the knowledge you think you know about other history up to "real scrutiny", or just this? Basically, you are not willing to investigate for yourself.

I've met alot of people who go to church after church looking for one that teaches the Bible alone. And when they start at the church they go until they find something that seems to be contrary to the bible and then go to the next one. I've had people say to me how they've had a hard time finding a church true to the bible.

I was pondering this and it seems like there is a flaw with this thinking. They can't find a church that teaches the bible alone because this concept is foreign to the bible.

The new testament church was not a bible alone church. The Lord gave the apostles authority to give the gift of the Holy Ghost. That gift allowed all those who receive it to obtain revelation from God and the Spirit of prophecy. Thus it allows them to live off every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.

They didn't have a complete Bible. They looked to those who had been given authority and to direct revelation from God. It was from those revelations that the Apostles wrote the Bible.

The Bible has wisdom from the beginning of man. It contains the revelation and testimony of our forefathers . We would learn much from its daily study. But when we make a claim that Bible alone all there is we cut ourselves off from the possibility of real communication with God. Without that communication its impossible to know God or His Son.

I encourage everyone to ponder this. To read the scriptures and seek the Lord daily. Exercise faith and deny not the gift and power of God in your lives.
I'm still trying to figure out how Noah got Kangaroos and other marsupials from Australia, all the way to his boat and back again afterwards. Can you help?

It wasn't until after the days of Noah and the Flood that the earth was divided.

Genesis 10:25
25 And unto Eber were born two sons: the name of one was Peleg; for in his days was the earth divided; and his brother’s name was Joktan.

1 Chronicles 1:19
19 And unto Eber were born two sons: the name of the one was Peleg; because in his days the earth was divided: and his brother’s name was Joktan.
So you're saying that all the land masses were together at that time, like, 5000 years ago? Um... no. Science doesn't bear that out.

no science proves that it wasn't.
That's what I said, science proves that the continents have been in their current place for millions of years.
Note that science does not prove anything.

Science makes observations and formulates speculations tying these observations all together in an intuitive inductive process called hypotheses, theories, and so called laws.

If you think science proves anything then you have been brainwashed into thinking science is your religion.

...The Bible is quite true.
The hand of Gawd did not reach down from Heaven and write it.

People did. And people make mistakes.

It doesn't mean their testimony or the doctrine of Christ is untrue.
It doesn't mean anything. It's just a major historical anachronism in the narrative.

Oceanic travel was first developed by the Portuguese in the 15th Century.

They stopped teaching that decades ago.
The Chinese for example had the technology long before. But they didn't explore much using it once they determined nothing important was outside China.

There has been evidence of transoceanic travel between the old and new world for thousands of years
So your golden bible family was Chinese then ?!

Is that what you are saying ?!

I'm still trying to figure out how Noah got Kangaroos and other marsupials from Australia, all the way to his boat and back again afterwards. Can you help?

It wasn't until after the days of Noah and the Flood that the earth was divided.

Genesis 10:25
25 And unto Eber were born two sons: the name of one was Peleg; for in his days was the earth divided; and his brother’s name was Joktan.

1 Chronicles 1:19
19 And unto Eber were born two sons: the name of the one was Peleg; because in his days the earth was divided: and his brother’s name was Joktan.
So you're saying that all the land masses were together at that time, like, 5000 years ago? Um... no. Science doesn't bear that out.

no science proves that it wasn't.
That's what I said, science proves that the continents have been in their current place for millions of years.
Note that science does not prove anything.

Science makes observations and formulates speculations tying these observations all together in an intuitive inductive process called hypotheses, theories, and so called laws.

If you think science proves anything then you have been brainwashed into thinking science is your religion.
There are major problems with insisting that the Bible has to pass modern scientific scrutiny before it can be believed.

1. Science insists that something must be repeatable and controllable. Example, if you mix chemical A with chemical B at temperature C, you will always get chemical D. A sovereign being who decides when and where to act outside of man's control cannot be duplicated in the lab. God is not an ATM, whereby when you push the right buttons in the right sequence, the goodies come out.
2. We believe many things that cannot be scientifically verified. I had a discussion on this board with someone who insisted that alien abductions were real because he believed the handful of stories, but that God was NOT real because he did not believe the accounts of millions of people over thousands of years who have encountered Him.
3. Science does not account for everything. When evidence is presented that counters prevailing belief, the belief is supposed to change. There are anomalies that disprove prevailing belief that are ignored, and to hold the Bible to scientific standards is to shoot at a moving target.

The Bible alone, I'm afraid, would tell a story that is foreign to most Christians.

Read cover to cover, believers would find continuity from Genesis to Revelation, rather than a new covenant between Creator and Creation when Jesus comes and a disruption in the continuity when Revelation begins.

The Bible is more about a Messiah than a Savior. It is more about God gathering His people to establish His kingdom on the earth than it is about Him saving people so that when they die they can go to heaven.
Hebrews and Revelation are 2 books that have long been discredited, starting with Eusebius.

These two books are frauds.

If you take them seriously you have not done much study.

What I'm having trouble taking seriously is the premise that your posts have shit to do with the topic of the thread.

If I ever start a thread entitled, "Spew your hatred of Christianity", I'll be sure to send you an invitation. Until then, your word for today is "relevance". Find some.

You're going to rely on others to determine your eternal welfare?

I've met alot of people who go to church after church looking for one that teaches the Bible alone. And when they start at the church they go until they find something that seems to be contrary to the bible and then go to the next one. I've had people say to me how they've had a hard time finding a church true to the bible.

I was pondering this and it seems like there is a flaw with this thinking. They can't find a church that teaches the bible alone because this concept is foreign to the bible.

The new testament church was not a bible alone church. The Lord gave the apostles authority to give the gift of the Holy Ghost. That gift allowed all those who receive it to obtain revelation from God and the Spirit of prophecy. Thus it allows them to live off every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.

They didn't have a complete Bible. They looked to those who had been given authority and to direct revelation from God. It was from those revelations that the Apostles wrote the Bible.

The Bible has wisdom from the beginning of man. It contains the revelation and testimony of our forefathers . We would learn much from its daily study. But when we make a claim that Bible alone all there is we cut ourselves off from the possibility of real communication with God. Without that communication its impossible to know God or His Son.

I encourage everyone to ponder this. To read the scriptures and seek the Lord daily. Exercise faith and deny not the gift and power of God in your lives.
that is why Jesus said he would send the holy spirit to teach us as the new covenant altho sadly many do not followthis... they keep the bible as an idol insted of spending time with jesus

Noah didn't get them. The Bible says the Lord brought them. The Bible says the Lord also shut the door to the Ark.

Forum List

Back