The Big Giant Tax Cut?

How much is your big giant tax cut?

• Total voters
If Trump really cared about the middle-class worker, he would has established a federal $15.00/hr minimum wage and given businesses a tax credit to offset the additional wage. Of course predator companies such as Trump International wouldn't like that.

$15 an hour is a middle class wage? Yeah back in 1980 :laugh:

Yet Arizona raised minimum wage to $10.00/hr and rose from number three State in poverty, to number eight State in poverty.

President Trump knows, as many of us do that raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour is a stupid waste of time. We have to create jobs that pay a LOT more than that to fix this problem. Think $30-$40 an hour. $15 is retarded.

Middle-class spending creates the need for jobs.

No employer is going to pay more than they have too unless it makes financial sense, barring of course construction of a Maui vacation home.

No it doesn't, you libs keep telling us the middle class is broke and in dire straights due to income stagnation and inequality? Okay so how's the economy growing then if they have no money? :itsok: Pointing out the left's contradictions is a full time job.

>7 million Americans are working a second/third job to make ends meet. Credit card spending is up. Roommate connections are up.

The biggest ever...according to President Trump.

I've watched and listened to politicians all my life. I've known for years that politicians are not particularly trustworthy. They often fudge the truth, or they talk around the truth, or they avoid giving a direct answer to a simple question. Sometimes they can be 100% for (or against) some issue unless (or until) it becomes politically unpopular to do so, at which point they'll make a 180 degree change of opinion and claim that it's a change of heart and not an expedient decision. It's difficult to maintain any real respect for men and women who have no real values and core beliefs, especially when they tend to preach about values to the rest of us.

There's actually one person and event that stands out in my mind in this regard. It's Newt Gingrich. It happened a few years when he was already out of office and didn't have to concern himself with any more elections or public opinion polls regarding his leadership. I mean, he already had a pretty darn sleazy reputation when it came to his personal life and his time in office, but he was now a private citizen, and one could argue that he could now give his honest opinion on a wide variety of topics. That is, if he chose to do so. I guess it was simply too much to expect from a man who spent his life paving the road to hell with bad intentions.

At any rate, the event happened a few years ago as Libya was in a meltdown, and Muammar Gaddafi was threatening to lay waste to one of his own cities (Benghazi, as it turns out) because of protests related to the Arab Spring movement. Well, Gingrich goes on TV and criticizes Obama for not taking military action. Then, days later when Obama DID take military action (without involving U.S. ground troops, by the way), Gingrich went on TV and criticized Obama for putting Americans in harm,s way. What? Six years later, he still hasn't changed his stripes considering that months ago he praised Robert Mueller and his unimpeachable credentials, and he now calls him corrupt.

You get the picture, I'm sure. But, as the title of this thread suggests, this thread isn't about Gingrich; it's about the big giant tax cut.

I went to a website that allowed me to calculate my big giant tax cut savings. It's a whopping one half of one percent. That's .005! That means that for every $100.00 in taxes I currently pay, I'll get 50 cents back. When I can't even measure the savings in paper currency, I don't think "big" is an accurate operative word to describe the tax cut.

But this thread isn't just about the so-called tax cut. It's about President Trump. I have never heard a politician lie as much, or as often, or as BIG as Trump does. And it's so blatant, so obvious, and so mind-numbingly transparent, that I'm befuddled as to why otherwise reasonable and usually rational people are taken in by all these glaring falsehoods.

The only solace I feel at this point is that I know that eventually the vast majority of liars and flimflam men are discovered for what they truly are. Additionally, the more public they are in their lying, the sooner it usually happens. I just can't figure out why more people haven't caught on about Trump by now. But with Trump's approval rating currently hovering around 32% at the end of his first year in office, I expect the fatigue and disillusionment factor to start gaining more traction in the months to come. Perhaps that will start to pick up more steam when the working class people who helped put him in office see their big giant tax cut next year. If that doesn't do it, perhaps it will happen when estimates are put forward about how much money the entire Trump family will save in taxes yearly. Keep in mind that Trump said he would not benefit from the big middle class tax cut. See what I mean about the lying?

He cuts the corporate taxes too. Do you have investments? An extra 15%.

Taxes have generally only increased, so this is quite the miracle. I believe, the biggest ever cut indeed.

Yet Arizona raised minimum wage to $10.00/hr and rose from number three State in poverty, to number eight State in poverty.

President Trump knows, as many of us do that raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour is a stupid waste of time. We have to create jobs that pay a LOT more than that to fix this problem. Think $30-$40 an hour. $15 is retarded.

No employer is going to pay more than they have too unless it makes financial sense, barring of course construction of a Maui vacation home.

No it doesn't, you libs keep telling us the middle class is broke and in dire straights due to income stagnation and inequality? Okay so how's the economy growing then if they have no money? :itsok: Pointing out the left's contradictions is a full time job.

>7 million Americans are working a second/third job to make ends meet. Credit card spending is up. Roommate connections are up.

30% of Californian's have to spend 50% of their income just on rent and 50% can't afford to purchase a home. Want to build a new home in California, liberals whack you $100,000 in "impact fees". 40% of the cost of building a new home is fees from the 45 California regulatory agencies. California the poster child for what a liberal United States would look like. :eusa_hand:

If Trump really cared about the middle-class worker, he would has established a federal $15.00/hr minimum wage and given businesses a tax credit to offset the additional wage. Of course predator companies such as Trump International wouldn't like that.

No employer is going to pay more than they have to

For the sake of accuracy, what employers don't do is pay more than they've allocated in their payroll budget. What one must pay is always precisely what everyone and anyone pays for everything they purchase when they purchase it. That sum is never more nor less than what one must pay to obtain the good or service at that place and moment in time.

Last edited:

30% of Californian's have to spend 50% of their income just on rent and 50% can't afford to purchase a home. Want to build a new home in California, liberals whack you $100,000 in "impact fees". 40% of the cost of building a new home is fees from the 45 California regulatory agencies. California the poster child for what a liberal United States would look like. :eusa_hand:
40% of the cost of building a new home is fees from the 45 California regulatory agencies.

While regulations do increase the "baseline" cost of a newly constructed home, AFAIK, CA sits at the most extreme end of the spectrum in that regard.

National Association of Homebuilders:
government regulations account for 24.3% of the final price of a new single-family home. (Source)
Be that as it is, it's naive to think that with the removal of regulations suppliers will in most (perhaps any) areas lower the selling price for the homes they build. At best, buyers may experience builders exhibiting a slightly greater willingness to accept a slightly lower negotiated selling price.

I realize the positive and normative economics principles with which most folks are vaguely familiar suggest that upon the regulations' departure, the selling price of the previously regulated item decreases. In the abstract, that is indeed what would happen; however, business in the U.S. does not occur in the abstract. Several other factors contribute to what suppliers charge. Among them is whether the supplier is a publicly traded firm whereof owners and senior managers demand ever increasing profitability.

The element of "street expectations" increases the pressure to adhere to the behavioral economics principle which, simply put, is that nobody cottons well to the notion of decreasing revenue and profits. The consequence of owners distaste for lower profits than were previously earned, and their strong preference for increased profits, produces in suppliers a very strong reticence for lowering their asking prices and selling prices. The rationale being that if profits were good "last year" when we had more regulations, then this year even if we experience a volume drop of "X-percent," we can still realise the same or greater profitability we did "last year," or, better still, sell at the same or greater volume and ganer markedly greater profitability because the fact is that the market is already bearing the price points at which one last year sold one's wares.

That line of reasoning is why though there's no shortage of business community rhetoric offered about the costs of regulation, the reality is that the waning and waxing of government regulations is just part of the equation for achieving profits. Quite simply, the best time to increase one's asking/selling price is when regulations take effect and the worst time/reason for lowering them is when regulations disappear.

"Things" work that way because, you see, when it comes to economics and finance, it's not about what people like or don't like, want or don't want, it's about what they do pay for, or in the language of economics, it's about effective demand, not latent demand. To put that concept into salt-of-the-earth terms: "the road to the poorhouse is paved with salesmen waiting for 'be-backs.' "

Edit:
The above discussion pertains to pricing strategy decisions/behaviors and tolerances during a "normal" period in the economic cycle. Obviously, for example, it would be highly speculative to increase one's selling/asking price during a recession.​

Last edited:
"it's not 9,9,9, but it's fine, fine, fine!" - Eloquent Herman Cain on Trump's tax cuts

California is a great place to live and do business. My business grew and life is great. Housing is an area problem. If you live out of the commute area for San Jose homes are cheap. Most work here starts at about $25 an hour or more. Consequently taxes are higher to pay for the infrastructure the state maintains and for the cities services as well as the counties.

Now taxing a tax is double dipping in most anyone's vocabulary. So to not be able to deduct property tax or state tax is a double tax on earnings. That was why they were excluded to begin with. Kinda like business license fees or building permit fees are deductible Same with vehicle depreciation and off road use tax credit.

California is a great place to live and do business. My business grew and life is great. Housing is an area problem. If you live out of the commute area for San Jose homes are cheap. Most work here starts at about $25 an hour or more. Consequently taxes are higher to pay for the infrastructure the state maintains and for the cities services as well as the counties.

Now taxing a tax is double dipping in most anyone's vocabulary. So to not be able to deduct property tax or state tax is a double tax on earnings. That was why they were excluded to begin with. Kinda like business license fees or building permit fees are deductible Same with vehicle depreciation and off road use tax credit.

Now taxing a tax is double dipping in most anyone's vocabulary.

You're right, California should allow deduction of Federal Income and Payroll taxes.

You're right, California should allow deduction of Federal Income and Payroll taxes.
Me thinks you should consider taking a class in tax accounting.
I don't know what most people would say.

"Double-taxation" is a very specific term that has a very specific meaning and it refers only to income tax. I and others like me who've studied tax accounting and law understand that double-taxation (DT) a single government entity's two times imposing a tax on a given asset or income stream, or transaction owned by a given individual.

DT occurs when a given dollar is taxed when a C-corp's profits are taxed and then, when the corporation distributes those profits to the owners of the corporation, taxed again as personal income. That is DT because the sums taxed belong to the firm's owners regardless of who has possession of them at any point in time. After all, the substance of stock ownership is that each share represents an ownership stake in a company; thus the company's profits/losses are owned by each shareholder. Dividends the company pays are merely distributions of those profits, returns to the equity each owner invested in the company, which why they are called "capital gains."
  1. C-corp A sells shares of stock
  2. C-corp A earns profits on behalf of the stockholders
  3. Government F taxes C-corp's earning at the corporate level
  4. C-corp A transfers a proportionate share of income to stockholders
  5. Government F taxes that income again.
The taxation on C-corp income become triple-taxed, by dint of state income taxes, if the shareholders and C-corp both have a nexus in a given state.

To see the difference, one need only look at how S-corps, sole proprietorships and partnerships are taxed. Those entities do not pay income tax; instead filing only information returns. The profits earned under the auspices of those entities are passed to the owners and taxed as part of the owner's income.

That is very different from, say, my earning income and then spending it on good/service another provides and both of us paying taxes on our income. In that scenario, I and the supplier are unrelated parties; thus the income I spend with the supplier becomes their income and it duly taxable to me and to the supplier.

Not for long, after Trump signs this tax bill California is going to need a bunch of UHaul trailers.

You're trying to bullshit a real estate investor?

The truth is that 'liberal' Florida has more communities that have impact fees than California.

Don't believe me? Look it up: Home – ImpactFees.com

No employer is going to pay more than they have to

For the sake of accuracy, what employers don't do is pay more than they've allocated in their payroll budget. What one must pay is always precisely what everyone and anyone pays for everything they purchase when they purchase it. That sum is never more nor less than what one must pay to obtain the good or service at that place and moment in time.

The issue was rate of pay to employees.

"Double-taxation" is a very specific term that has a very specific meaning and it refers only to income tax. I and others like me who've studied tax accounting and law understand that double-taxation (DT) a single government entity's two times imposing a tax on a given asset or income stream, or transaction owned by a given individual.

DT occurs when a given dollar is taxed when a C-corp's profits are taxed and then, when the corporation distributes those profits to the owners of the corporation, taxed again as personal income. That is DT because the sums taxed belong to the firm's owners regardless of who has possession of them at any point in time. After all, the substance of stock ownership is that each share represents an ownership stake in a company; thus the company's profits/losses are owned by each shareholder. Dividends the company pays are merely distributions of those profits, returns to the equity each owner invested in the company, which why they are called "capital gains."
The taxation on C-corp income become triple-taxed, by dint of state income taxes, if the shareholders and C-corp both have a nexus in a given state.

To see the difference, one need only look at how S-corps, sole proprietorships and partnerships are taxed. Those entities do not pay income tax; instead filing only information returns. The profits earned under the auspices of those entities are passed to the owners and taxed as part of the owner's income.

That is very different from, say, my earning income and then spending it on good/service another provides and both of us paying taxes on our income. In that scenario, I and the supplier are unrelated parties; thus the income I spend with the supplier becomes their income and it duly taxable to me and to the supplier.
Sole proprietors pay tax on what is left after deductions. They are not a pass through entity like the corporations.

Not for long, after Trump signs this tax bill California is going to need a bunch of UHaul trailers.
People of California will for the most part stay here as the idiots of the red states are to stupid to associate with.

Screwing the middle class makes you happy?

You're trying to bullshit a real estate investor?

The truth is that 'liberal' Florida has more communities that have impact fees than California.

Don't believe me? Look it up: Home – ImpactFees.com

This was national news earlier this week :itsok:

People of California will for the most part stay here as the idiots of the red states are to stupid to associate with.

That attitude is why you lost.

Screwing the middle class makes you happy?

Sorry but Californian's will now have to pay their fair share of Federal income taxes, no more tax loopholes for you.

so other countries handle their economies better than we do?

Is that your way of saying California is going to continue taxing a tax?

DT occurs when a given dollar is taxed when a C-corp's profits are taxed and then, when the corporation distributes those profits to the owners of the corporation, taxed again as personal income.

Yeah, that's the worst. They need to stop doing that.

Forum List

Back