The Definition of a "Living Wage"

Do you agree with this definition of a Living Wage? (Ignore my personal opinion below it)

• Total voters
Contumacious the definition doesn't differentiate between government or non-government involvement in the contract. Any wage, regardless of government action, that doesn't meet that requirement, is not a living wage.
I reject your definition on its face.

To begin with...You state that there should be a living wage. That is nonsense.

Then you go on to include such items as a wife....and two children.....in this definition.

A living wage, by any definition, is the amount of income necessary to provide ONE individual with the means to feed and house ONLY themselves.

ANYTHING more is extra and requires more effort from the individual, NOT from the employer.

Of course, by a "living wage" he means adequate compensation.

I don't have a problem with him concluding that XYZ dollars constitutes a living wage.

The problem is that typically those folks want to use government bureaucrats to force employers to pay the "living wage".

I have a problem with all of it.

How suck-assed stupid were your parents (not you personally) that they were too fucking stupid to teach you that you have to earn money to live in this world? And how fucked up were they that they did not teach you that if you want things MORE than the money for shelter and food, you have to go out and earn more money (LONG BEFORE) you actually can have it?

Darkwind you knows what's funny dude, I originally made this thread to bait Progressives into taking my definition and saying it's NOT enough (especially since it's really bare minimum, so it wouldn't be that difficult) until it reached Utopian magnitude, but it appears I baited the worst of the worst right wingers into exposing themselves too. I'd bet $50 taht you don't like Rand Paul and you think we should be invading every country in the Middle East and fighting Russia in WWIII in the Ukraine.

When SHTF, Commies aren't the only ones I'm taking out...
You'd lose that bet.....You can paypal Me the money.

Several states already have raised their minimum wages since the beginning of this year, and on a couple of occasions fast-food workers have gone out on day-long strikes for a $15-an-hour minimum wage. When one considers that the median hourly wage in 2012 was $14.90 an hour, a $15-an-hour minimum does not seem so far-fetched.

I stopped reading right there as he justified the countries average rate as the new minimum,...............

LOL

You might want to try again.
I don't think so.............

I asked you how much of a minimum wage increase you want.............based on data not BS............

What is it?

You asked me that? Didnt see it.

I want $10.70 per hour with automatic cost of living adjustments. That would put it where it was in 1968.....in real terms.

Now.......try again.
How many jobs will be lost as a result...........

How many people in the workforce would see the increase............

Why does the Left think that states raising their minimum wage is a win for Leftists and a blow against conservatives? Conservatives aren't against states setting or raising the minimum wage, even if such an action ultimately makes people poorer by reducing buying power. Under the Constitution, the federal government is restrained from setting a minimum wage, not the states. So there is no conflict here.

Several states already have raised their minimum wages since the beginning of this year, and on a couple of occasions fast-food workers have gone out on day-long strikes for a $15-an-hour minimum wage. When one considers that the median hourly wage in 2012 was $14.90 an hour, a $15-an-hour minimum does not seem so far-fetched.

I stopped reading right there as he justified the countries average rate as the new minimum,...............

LOL

I asked you how much of a minimum wage increase you want.............based on data not BS............

What is it?

I want $10.70 per hour with automatic cost of living adjustments. That would put it where it was in 1968.....in real terms.

Now.......try again.
A little higher than the Presidential order for minimum wage for Federal employees........

LOL That would be 10.10 by the way.

And? Is that supposed to impress me?

LOL

What is it?

Now.......try again.

http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/cbofiles/attachments/44995-MinimumWage.pdf

Lone Laughter..........you just fired at least 500,000 workers..........at the least.................as your rate is even higher than the proposed rates for the CBO to calculate...............

LOL

What is it?

Now.......try again.
A little higher than the Presidential order for minimum wage for Federal employees........

I could care less whether you are impressed or not............

I've put data up that is against your positions..........not from a Op ed piece of a lunatic that wants the new minimum wage to be the same as the current average...............

LOL

What is it?

Now.......try again.

If the results mirror all other minimum wage increases.....jobs will be added.

I wonder why USMB nutters have such a hard time understanding that people spending their money is what leads to jobs being created. Either that....or the government spending our money. Pick one.

What is it?

Now.......try again.

I've put data up that is against your positions..........not from a Op ed piece of a lunatic that wants the new minimum wage to be the same as the current average...............

What data? You do not have data that proves that raising the minimum wage will squeeze the middle class or kill jobs. That data doesn't exist.

Data.....my ass.

LOL

What is it?

Now.......try again.

If the results mirror all other minimum wage increases.....jobs will be added.

I wonder why USMB nutters have such a hard time understanding that people spending their money is what leads to jobs being created. Either that....or the government spending our money. Pick one.
When you understand that your point costs jobs.............If 500,000 Americans lose their jobs as the CBO suggests HOW THE HELL ARE THEY SPENDING.....................................

What is it?

Now.......try again.

What data? You do not have data that proves that raising the minimum wage will squeeze the middle class or kill jobs. That data doesn't exist.

Data.....my ass.
The data I posted states the problem is deeper than minimum wage and proved that the minimum for one area of the country doesn't is different for other areas..................

And again, you just fired a half a million people.

LoneFruitcake: I am seeking it for the overall strength of the economy and a return to a robust middle class.

What do you think is happening to the so-called "middle class" in America?

1379526580-Upper.Middle.Lower+Class+Chart+1967-2009.jpg

Yes. Exactly. Idiot.

Hey idiot, I didn't ask a 'yes or no' question. Look at the graph and tell me what is happening to the so-called middle class? They are declining, that is easy to see, but where are they going? They aren't joining the lower income class because that number is also slightly declining.

Here's a hint: Look at what is increasing.

You might be retarded.

Hey I am presenting US Census Bureau facts for you and asking a question which you haven't answered.

You said you are seeking a return to "a robust middle class" and as we see by the statistics, most of the middle class has moved to the wealthy class, so you must mean you want fewer wealthy people. This actually makes sense in terms of the policies you promote, but I don't think it's the best for America. The reason you don't want as many people to become wealthy is because you want them to remain dependent on government. Keep people poor and dependent and they will keep voting for your politicians and policies to ensure they remain poor and dependent... that's your game. That's what you want. Let's just be honest about it.

LoneFruitcake: I am seeking it for the overall strength of the economy and a return to a robust middle class.

Yes. Exactly. Idiot.

Hey idiot, I didn't ask a 'yes or no' question. Look at the graph and tell me what is happening to the so-called middle class? They are declining, that is easy to see, but where are they going? They aren't joining the lower income class because that number is also slightly declining.

You might be retarded.

Hey I am presenting US Census Bureau facts for you and asking a question which you haven't answered.

You said you are seeking a return to "a robust middle class" and as we see by the statistics, most of the middle class has moved to the wealthy class, so you must mean you want fewer wealthy people. This actually makes sense in terms of the policies you promote, but I don't think it's the best for America. The reason you don't want as many people to become wealthy is because you want them to remain dependent on government. Keep people poor and dependent and they will keep voting for your politicians and policies to ensure they remain poor and dependent... that's your game. That's what you want. Let's just be honest about it.

You want to pretend that the American middle class is growing. So...you might be retarded.

The. CBO study that you refer to doesn't use real world examples. It is not considered worth a shit.

No a Minimum-Wage Boost Won t Kill Jobs - Michael Reich - POLITICO Magazine
aka you only use the data if it supports your position...........

Even though they use current data and BLS stats..................

You'd quote facts only from opinionated sources that match you ideology and rhetoric.........Historically the CBO usually underestimates the real cost and actual damage done by bills proposed in Congress........

So if history is correct with their calculations you would cost more than a half a million jobs..................

You can't swing the economic sword without BLOCK BACK Mr. Laughing at one's self.

The. CBO study that you refer to doesn't use real world examples. It is not considered worth a shit.

No a Minimum-Wage Boost Won t Kill Jobs - Michael Reich - POLITICO Magazine
aka you only use the data if it supports your position...........

Even though they use current data and BLS stats..................

You'd quote facts only from opinionated sources that match you ideology and rhetoric.........Historically the CBO usually underestimates the real cost and actual damage done by bills proposed in Congress........

So if history is correct with their calculations you would cost more than a half a million jobs..................

You can't swing the economic sword without BLOCK BACK Mr. Laughing at one's self.

Nope. I use the experts. There is no reliable data using studies of past minimum wage increases that suggests massive jobs loss is the result.

If there is....please post a link.

Thanks.

Better-paying jobs stage a comeback - The Washington Post

Hiring has picked up steam in areas such as construction, manufacturing and professional services in recent months — sectors with a median hourly wage of at least $20. Nearly 40 percent of the jobs created over the past six months have been in high-wage industries, compared with just a quarter during the last half of 2013, according to an analysis by the National Employment Law Project for The Washington Post. Meanwhile, growth in many low-paying jobs has leveled off or even declined.

“I often hear that the recovery is only in low-wage jobs. That is categorically inaccurate,” Labor Secretary Thomas E. Perez said in an interview. “This recovery is creating a lot of good jobs.”

w-higherwage.jpg

Yes. Exactly. Idiot.

You might be retarded.

You want to pretend that the American middle class is growing. So...you might be retarded.
You want to pretend that the American middle class is growing.

Really? Where did I say that? Are you too retarded to read?

I don't want to pretend anything, that's what seems to be your forte.

Look at the graph I posted from the US Census Bureau. Since 1967, the number of middle-income families have declined.... does that sound like I am claiming they've grown?

I asked you where they were going? You haven't answered me. We see they aren't going to the lower-income class because those are declining too. What is increasing are the higher-income families. Now.... how retarded does one have to be, not to see what is happening to the middle class?

Now you have stated that you are concerned with returning to a more robust middle class, so that must mean that you are interested in keeping people from becoming wealthy and making the wealthy poorer. That's all it can mean, given the statistics I've shown you. And hey, I totally get that! Because the more poor people you have, the more people who are dependent on government and you realize they will continue to vote for your politicians and policies which will keep them poor and dependent.

Forum List

Back