The Front Porch Swing

Rut-roh! It's that time of the year.

0353a777683b4c20737a0de8adfb6343.jpg

Tom Turkeys are gobbling and strutting now as the courtship season begins. You may encounter the birds displaying along park roadways, so please slow down and watch for wildlife—and other visitor’s cars stopped due to wildlife! Be especially cautious when going around blind curves. As this photo shows, sometimes the birds will display right in the center of the roadway... and they are NOT interested in moving out of your way anytime soon!

The gobbles of male turkeys can be heard almost a mile away. When displaying, males droop their wings until the tips almost drag on the ground and spread their tails wide. Courtship season lasts from March until May.

Photo: Displaying turkeys block US-441 between Gatlinburg and Sugarlands Visitor Center.

Courtesy of Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Tom Turkeys are gobbling and strutting now as the courtship season begins. You may encounter the birds displaying along park roadways, so please slow down and watch for wildlife—and other visitor’s cars stopped due to wildlife! Be especially cautious when going around blind curves. As this photo shows, sometimes the birds will display right in the center of the roadway... and they are NOT interested in moving out of your way anytime soon!

The gobbles of male turkeys can be heard almost a mile away. When displaying, males droop their wings until the tips almost drag on the ground and spread their tails wide. Courtship season lasts from March until May.

Photo: Displaying turkeys block US-441 between Gatlinburg and Sugarlands Visitor Center.

Aye, 'tis. There was a rafter on my street as I came home today. Totally gobbular, man.

Of course I didn't stop for 'em -- don't wanna get negged :eusa_shifty:

I hope you'll allow me here to brag on my nephew just a tad. :)

He's a Junior in high school and got called into the Principal's office the other day.

Some stranger in a suit asked him about what he wanted to do when he graduated, and if he ever thought about a career in cyber-security.

He was with the NSA (no jokes, please).

My nephew asked "why did you call me in here"?

The guy explained that he goes to various schools asking faculty and staff if he can meet with the best and brightest students.

Bam. :thup:

Aye, 'tis. There was a rafter on my street as I came home today. Totally gobbular, man.

Of course I didn't stop for 'em -- don't wanna get negged :eusa_shifty:

They're like "HEY!! Trying to work here, PAL!"

He's a Junior in high school and got called into the Principal's office the other day.

Some stranger in a suit asked him about what he wanted to do when he graduated, and if he ever thought about a career in cyber-security.

The guy explained that he goes to various schools asking faculty and staff if he can meet with the best and brightest students.

SuWEET!! Bet his parents were grinning from ear-to-ear. :)

Pogo..I am on Chrome and don't have a prob. Maybe you should dump it and then reload it?

Wow!! Too cool!

Pogo..I am on Chrome and don't have a prob. Maybe you should dump it and then reload it?

I'm back in now, but it took all day. No explanation for what the hell changed. Now I'm curious to see what it does tomorrow.

I got back on with Opera, which had no issue at all. Perhaps the Googles strained their resources spying on everything I've done in the last six months. :dunno:
I'm also concerned that when I sent the webmaster a note about it I got no response at all.

Last edited:

I'm back in now, but it took all day. No explanation for what the hell changed. Now I'm curious to see what it does tomorrow.

I got back on with Opera, which had no issue at all. Perhaps the Googles strained their resources spying on everything I've done in the last six months. :dunno:
I'm also concerned that when I sent the webmaster a note about it I got no response at all.

They don't answer emails on any days ending in 'Y'.

I've been unable to use the board all day. Site keeps signing me out and now it won't let me sign in. I finally got in by going to another browser that I briefly used when I got this computer. But Chrome can't sign in at all.

Ha,ha, we're messing with you Pogo......we found a way to unplug you....we take turns...:evil::evil::evil:

Forum List

Back