The glaring evidence that Obamacare is a catastrophic FAILURE continues to mount

Don't be sorry. So you are saying that the private insurance companies are offering no way for people to comply with the law??????

Nope, I am telling you that the cancellations have come because they COMPLIED with the law.

Can you give us a list of companies that are merely canceling existing policies and offering no replacement?

ALL companies that have cancelled policies are now offering ACA compliant policies...the problem is that premiums have sky rocketed....

Here is my problem with it....

The people that NEED the help the most aren't getting.

I have had Doctors that make 80-90 grand get subsidies and folk making 11000 not get them.

The people needing helop the most are still falling through the cracks.

Sometimes it is hard to sleep at night knowing what I know.

I absolutely agree that the subsidy process ought to be fair.

Here's something to think about. Health care costs are going up. For everyone. There is really only one force holding them down. Medicare. Unfortunately, Drs are pretty good in making up the income they can't make from Medicare from younger patients.

You suppose some of that is going on?

I do.

PMZ, I live this.
Everyday there are happy people and everyday there are sad, upset, hurt people.
I live their emotions good and bad.....

The Law can be good...but EVERYBODY needs to take their ego's out it.

It's not easy to help people. There are obstacles at every turn. That's one of the reasons that they need help.

ACA is help.

As I wrestle with Medicare coverage, there is one clear distinction. Medicare Advantage HMOs are cheaper, or have better benefits, than Medicare Advantage PPOs. Why? The HMOs limit you to "in network" Drs and facilities. Sensible, no?

Today I read in the paper that the next skirmish in the propaganda war that the GOP is waging on health care insurance progress will be claiming that Obamacare is limiting choice in medical providers.

WTF?

Last edited:

Here's something to think about. Health care costs are going up. For everyone. There is really only one force holding them down. Medicare. Unfortunately, Drs are pretty good in making up the income they can't make from Medicare from younger patients.

I do.

PMZ, I live this.

It's not easy to help people. There are obstacles at every turn. That's one of the reasons that they need help.

ACA is help.

Yeah...right over a cliff.

"Sorry no....MOST insurance companies chose to become ACA compliant on Jan 1...as the law stipulates....thats where the cancellations are coming from...they chose to become compliant therefore existing plans had to go away.
Sorry."

Don't be sorry. So you are saying that the private insurance companies are offering no way for people to comply with the law??????

Can you give us a list of companies that are merely canceling existing policies and offering no replacement?

Nope, I am telling you that the cancellations have come because they COMPLIED with the law.

ALL companies that have cancelled policies are now offering ACA compliant policies...the problem is that premiums have sky rocketed....

I have had Doctors that make 80-90 grand get subsidies and folk making 11000 not get them.

What about this....

Mayo Clinic in Arizona to Stop Treating Some Medicare Patients - Bloomberg

Mayo Clinic in Arizona to Stop Treating Some Medicare Patients
By David Olmos - December 31, 2009 00:01 EST

Dec. 31 (Bloomberg) -- The Mayo Clinic, praised by President Barack Obama as a national model for efficient health care, will stop accepting Medicare patients as of tomorrow at one of its primary-care clinics in Arizona, saying the U.S. government pays too little.

More than 3,000 patients eligible for Medicare, the government’s largest health-insurance program, will be forced to pay cash if they want to continue seeing their doctors at a Mayo family clinic in Glendale, northwest of Phoenix, said Michael Yardley, a Mayo spokesman. The decision, which Yardley called a two-year pilot project, won’t affect other Mayo facilities in Arizona, Florida and Minnesota.

Obama in June cited the nonprofit Rochester, Minnesota-based Mayo Clinic and the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio for offering “the highest quality care at costs well below the national norm.” Mayo’s move to drop Medicare patients may be copied by family doctors, some of whom have stopped accepting new patients from the program, said Lori Heim, president of the American Academy of Family Physicians, in a telephone interview yesterday.

And that was before the last round of cuts.

I know plenty of medical students who are considering getting out.

Not because they can't get rich, but because they see a world where they really won't be able to adequately treat people.

Now that the conservative/MSM propganda blitz has failed so badly, what's the backup plan? I mean, other than "Conservatives scream and pout even louder".

Come on, conservatives. Lift your faces out of those cow patties, wipe the shit off, and figure out some new lies. Have at least some pride. Don't just lie there sobbing "Waah! Democrats are panicking! Waah!". It's not very convincing, and saying it makes you look like 'tards.

What are you talking about?

There hasn't been any screaming or pouting around here ... Crap, we haven't even been able to get a single coherent answer to any of a plethora of questions from the only Liberal leaning poster in this thread.
If you think you have what it takes ... You can go back over the last six pages or so ... And feel free to give any of the questions or comments a whirl.
If that isn't an acceptable proposal ... Say something that makes some sense and actually has some content worth discussing and we will play ball.

Good Luck In Your Endeavors ... Welcome and Glad To See A New Face!

Out of rep.

Now that the conservative/MSM propganda blitz has failed so badly, what's the backup plan? I mean, other than "Conservatives scream and pout even louder".

Come on, conservatives. Lift your faces out of those cow patties, wipe the shit off, and figure out some new lies. Have at least some pride. Don't just lie there sobbing "Waah! Democrats are panicking! Waah!". It's not very convincing, and saying it makes you look like 'tards.

What are you talking about?

There hasn't been any screaming or pouting around here ... Crap, we haven't even been able to get a single coherent answer to any of a plethora of questions from the only Liberal leaning poster in this thread.
If you think you have what it takes ... You can go back over the last six pages or so ... And feel free to give any of the questions or comments a whirl.
If that isn't an acceptable proposal ... Say something that makes some sense and actually has some content worth discussing and we will play ball.

Good Luck In Your Endeavors ... Welcome and Glad To See A New Face!

Out of rep.

yanno? You made a wager to leave the board if Obama won? Whacha' doin here?

http://www.usmessageboard.com/elect...ing-conservative-and-ghook93.html#post6295689

What about this....

Dec. 31 (Bloomberg) -- The Mayo Clinic, praised by President Barack Obama as a national model for efficient health care, will stop accepting Medicare patients as of tomorrow at one of its primary-care clinics in Arizona, saying the U.S. government pays too little.

More than 3,000 patients eligible for Medicare, the government’s largest health-insurance program, will be forced to pay cash if they want to continue seeing their doctors at a Mayo family clinic in Glendale, northwest of Phoenix, said Michael Yardley, a Mayo spokesman. The decision, which Yardley called a two-year pilot project, won’t affect other Mayo facilities in Arizona, Florida and Minnesota.

Obama in June cited the nonprofit Rochester, Minnesota-based Mayo Clinic and the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio for offering “the highest quality care at costs well below the national norm.” Mayo’s move to drop Medicare patients may be copied by family doctors, some of whom have stopped accepting new patients from the program, said Lori Heim, president of the American Academy of Family Physicians, in a telephone interview yesterday.

Not because they can't get rich, but because they see a world where they really won't be able to adequately treat people.

That is a 2009 article.

According to the http://www.mayoclinic.com/ website, this November 2013

Although Mayo Clinic provides medical services to Medicare patients, Mayo Clinic doesn't accept assignment from Medicare for professional and physician services. In other words, Mayo Clinic doesn't accept the Medicare-approved payment amount as full payment. Mayo Clinic follows an established fee schedule based on the federal guidelines for Medicare patients, which allows health care organizations to charge up to 15 percent above the Medicare allowable fee. You're financially responsible for the portion above the Medicare allowable amount.

That is, they accept Medicare patients.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/billing-sct/medicare.html

Last edited:

What about this....

That is a 2009 article.

According to the Mayo Clinic website, this November 2013

Although Mayo Clinic provides medical services to Medicare patients, Mayo Clinic doesn't accept assignment from Medicare for professional and physician services. In other words, Mayo Clinic doesn't accept the Medicare-approved payment amount as full payment. Mayo Clinic follows an established fee schedule based on the federal guidelines for Medicare patients, which allows health care organizations to charge up to 15 percent above the Medicare allowable fee. You're financially responsible for the portion above the Medicare allowable amount.

Medicare information for Mayo Clinic in Arizona

They will take people who will pay the difference. They will take anyone who has cash in hand.......Medicare payments can apparently be part of that.

Does not change this part of the article:

The Mayo organization had 3,700 staff physicians and scientists and treated 526,000 patients in 2008. It lost $840 million last year on Medicare, the government’s health program for the disabled and those 65 and older, Mayo spokeswoman Lynn Closway said.

Mayo’s hospital and four clinics in Arizona, including the Glendale facility, lost $120 million on Medicare patients last year, Yardley said. The program’s payments cover about 50 percent of the cost of treating elderly primary-care patients at the Glendale clinic, he said.

“We firmly believe that Medicare needs to be reformed,” Yardley said in a Dec. 23 e-mail. “It has been true for many years that Medicare payments no longer reflect the increasing cost of providing services for patients.”

What about this....

That is a 2009 article.

They will take people who will pay the difference. They will take anyone who has cash in hand.......Medicare payments can apparently be part of that.

The Mayo organization had 3,700 staff physicians and scientists and treated 526,000 patients in 2008. It lost $840 million last year on Medicare, the government’s health program for the disabled and those 65 and older, Mayo spokeswoman Lynn Closway said.

Mayo’s hospital and four clinics in Arizona, including the Glendale facility, lost $120 million on Medicare patients last year, Yardley said. The program’s payments cover about 50 percent of the cost of treating elderly primary-care patients at the Glendale clinic, he said.

“We firmly believe that Medicare needs to be reformed,” Yardley said in a Dec. 23 e-mail. “It has been true for many years that Medicare payments no longer reflect the increasing cost of providing services for patients.”

It changes your claim and the articles main claim, "will stop accepting Medicare patients"

That is a 2009 article.

It changes your claim and the articles main claim, "will stop accepting Medicare patients"

I would agree that the article's title is misleading. When I went back and looked at it, I wondered how they could tell people to show up with cash and then not accept them (of course, then they would not have been medicare patients....as I understand it).

Never-the-less...the article shows that Mayo was losing money out the ass on medicare patients.

Apparently, they are keeping some form of this....the article said it was a two year program (and I know when it first started people went nuts)....but this is now four years later.

Seems reasonable to me. Medicare pays some....you pay some.

Bottom line is Mayo was getting hosed by medicare.

What isn't talked about is how they absorbed all those losses. You would think it was made up in some way......like charging the hell out of others. Wonder what the rest of the books look like ?

Last edited:

I would agree that the article's title is misleading. When I went back and looked at it, I wondered how they could tell people to show up with cash and then not accept them (of course, then they would not have been medicare patients....as I understand it).

Never-the-less...the article shows that Mayo was losing money out the ass on medicare patients.

Apparently, they are keeping some form of this....the article said it was a two year program (and I know when it first started people went nuts)....but this is now four years later.

Seems reasonable to me. Medicare pays some....you pay some.

Bottom line is Mayo was getting hosed by medicare.

What isn't talked about is how they absorbed all those losses. You would think it was made up in some way......like charging the hell out of others. Wonder what the rest of the books look like ?

It doesn't show that they were losing money. It isn't a balance sheet. Price doesn't equal cost. It just shows that they can hold prices higher than the general equilibrium price for Medicare. We'd have to see the balance sheet to demonstrate they were getting "hosed". Often, they aren't, it just bites into their profits. Often, far fewer people actually pay there portion than owe it. Once health care is provided, it can't be taken back. Hospitals write off a lot. I'm always cautious when businesses claim they are "losing money" as they are basing it on what they believe they would get if they got what they want.

Medicare pays 80%, it always has. The 20% is up to the patient, so there is nothing unusual about patients paying "cash".

It's a tug of war between Medicare, hospitals, doctor salaries, and patients pocket books.

Check this out.

0131376D: Stock Quote - Mayo Clinic/Rochester MN - Bloomberg

Mayo Clinic/Rochester MN has stock holders. Stock holders need to see sufficient profit. Non-profits don't have stock holders. I don't find a Glendale stock though a search returned an alternative to your article on the exact subject.

Mayo Clinic to Turn Away Some Medicaid Patients - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com

and it says, "Mayo executives may feel that the population that they really serve are stockholders and highly paid executives at their hospitals". That may or may not be true.

And I am sure this is true, "practice of charging high rates to wealthier patients. Often one hears of the king of small country flying out to the Mayo Clinic to have a medical procedure or test performed."

I've always wondered about the differential between Medicare and the healthcare market. What should happen is care should be provided as long as the average collected on Medicare patients is above or at cost.

When Kaiser stops seeing Medicare patient, now there is a problem.

I do.

PMZ, I live this.

ACA is help.

Yeah...right over a cliff.

Easy to say. Impossible to prove.

What about this....

Republican propaganda. No evidence.

What about this....

That is a 2009 article.

Sounds like they ought to invest in some quality improvements. Other health care providers are doing fine.

That is a 2009 article.

Sounds like they ought to invest in some quality improvements. Other health care providers are doing fine.

Quality improvements ?

Did you miss the opening line of the article ?

"The Mayo Clinic, praised by President Barack Obama as a national model for efficient health care,....."

What they are doing is charging more. Imagine that !

PMZ maintains that the Mayo clinic is lying; that they are Republican propagandists?

PMZ is obviously insane.

PMZ maintains that the Mayo clinic is lying; that they are Republican propagandists?

PMZ is obviously insane.

I would say that whining is closer to the truth than lying. It's a common affliction with business now that they own their own political party and a 24/7/365 propaganda outlet.

The fact that the US spends 2X every other developed country is the result of people paying attention to health care delivery whining.

It has to change if we are ever to return to global competitiveness.

Forum List

Back