THE HOMELESS ---- OUR SHAME

It may not be our most pressing cause, but it's certainly one of our more urgent responsibilities, and one of humane duty and conscious consideration for our fellow man. We, as a society, have created a perception and attitude that those less fortunate deserve the hardships and mistreatment meted to them as a product of their own doing. We judge without full knowledge of their background and the possible tragedies they endured over time. The following story contains many truths and the realization that homelessness is a shame on us all. Yes, we could do better for our fellow man, and we should.

On patrol with Skid Row s angel cop - CNN.com

Please read the entire article so that you can see and understand that in the wealthiest nation on Earth, poverty and homelessness is common place, and that most of it is neglected as well as accepted. The story is well written, and paints a picture of human despair and hopelessness. It also tells of a cop that has dedicated himself to this cause, and considers it his duty and responsibility.

With all of the wasteful spending by all levels of government, there's no excuse for not addressing homelessness, and actively seeking doable workable solutions. After all, we do spend untold multi-$Millions on the care and support of illegal immigrants. Why not care for our own first?

I've always thought that I would thrive as a homeless person. I'm attracted to simplicity. I'm an avid camper and accomplished hiker. I've got hella survival skillz. I have a solar charger for my iPhone. I would get a gym membership where I could shower whenever I want. That reduces my cost of living to 3 total bills- food, phone and gym.

And, I actually might be headed that way. I like the idea of being totally off the grid, in terms of participating in social programs. I've opted out of Obamacare. I don't think I'll be collecting Social Security or Medicare if I survive to senior citizenship. That's not my bag.

In traditional Hindu society, they have what they call the 4 stages of man.
  • The First Ashrama - "Brahmacharya" or the Student Stage
  • The Second Ashrama - "Grihastha" or the Householder Stage
  • The Third Ashrama - "Vanaprastha" or the Hermit Stage
  • The Fourth Ashrama - "Sannyasa" or the Wandering Ascetic Stage
In two years after my daughter goes off to college, I'll enter the Hermit Stage. I'll sell my house and get a cabin with a loft. Eventually, I'll transition into the wandering holy man stage. It's just a different mentality, a different way of thinking, the total antithesis of what we as Americans regard as shameful.

I was a physical fitness instructor for a short time when I lived in California. I lived in the back of my pickup (with camper shell) in a parking garage under a high-class, well-known hotel. I worked as an instructor in their physical fitness facility. I had access to that gym 24/7 and used the bathroom and shower facility there for a little more than a month (until I could afford an apartment).

I wouldn't mind living in the wilderness for a short span but have camped out in the woods by myself for a week or two at a time. It gets awfully lonely really fast.

With very few exceptions the homeless cannot be helped. They are mentally ill. They are drug addicts. They are alcoholics. They make a deliberate choice to be "free". Hire them and they won't show up. Give them a place to stay and they won't stay there, or they will fight with anyone who does stay there. Some aren't homeless at all.

A year ago there was a story of a cop that bought a pair of shoes for a homeless man walking barefoot in the New York snow. As it turns out, the man had an apartment that he wouldn't stay in. He had a monthly income but preferred to beg. He didn't want to wear the shoes bought for him. He was afraid he'd be beaten and robbed of them so he put them in his apartment and again went barefoot in the snowy winter.

When people say we should help the homeless, the solution is one that just supports their personal agenda. If we had fewer illegals. If we hadn't sent jobs overseas. If we were just more compassionate. If we just cared and loved more. None of it has the possibility of working. These are people who for one reason or another just can't be helped. They can't be gathered up and homed against their will. There are dozens of agencies and advocacy groups to stop that from happening.

Then of course there is the simple liar who appear to be homeless because public sympathy is their job. Like the woman who begged as a homeless mother with a child. Then drove off in a Mercedes.

Society doesn't owe anyone shit. The nuts need to be locked up and the rest can prey on suckers or find work. Many choose to drop out and are victims only of themselves.
In my opinion, I don't think that you're looking at the big picture. It seems that you're throwing a blanket over the whole lot, and classifying "all" by the obvious truths about others. There are many different stories. Each one has their own set of circumstances and tragic situations. Remember, there are a lot of women and children homeless, including some of our Vets. Not everyone that is homeless, has created their present situation. We're quick to pass judgment without knowing each individual story. We don't know the number of homeless with psychological and physical issues that prevents them from becoming active and productive members of society.

Not all homeless are drug addicts, prostitutes, and career bums. Many are victims of the socioeconomic environment that we've created. The least we can do is to give the benefit of the doubt to those wanting to better their life, and to become active and productive members of society.
You're reading way more into my posts. I'm capable of speaking my mind. I didn't call them all losers, nuts or druggies. I said society doesn't owe them anything. Period. Society owes it to itself to police up the problem ones and put them somewhere. The society is still there for those who make the effort to join it. You can give all your money away if you want, just don't try to force the your sense of obligation onto me.

Your entitled to do whatever you want with your own money and no one has a right to tell you what to do with your things. same as employees have no right to bitch to their employer about not being paid fairly when they have the freedom and right to quit and look elsewhere. However, i will say this, the best help for minorities is individual help not government help. Why? individuals can say i gave you help once and you abused it so no more, but that sentence is something the Government can't ever say. Another words no standards or accountability.

Also, individuals have helped minorities way more than Government ever has. this is a good example of why.

I've always thought that I would thrive as a homeless person.

My friend, that is foolish thinking. You don't want to be homeless. Especially when in your older years. I have seen it. I have cared for it. I have treated their wounds, their illnesses, and their disabilities. You don't want to do that.

Thriving as a minimalistic person, however...

I'm an actual minimalist, and have been thriving from it. Big difference from being homeless.
Great point. I've lived in or near several big cities across America and have never come to envy the homeless. I've seen filthy, unkempt individuals holding their signs on the hottest and coldest of days. I've seen them covered with newspapers in gutters; on sidewalks; along alleyways; and on park benches. I've watched them beg for scraps and eat things they dug from garbage cans. It's a horrible existence and one I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Most homeless suffer from mental illness of one kind or another.
And unless you are willing to give city officials the authority to commit and force these people into public mental institutions - you won't solve the "problem".
Today, there are more people on public assistance than ever before, and is why our nation will be $20 trillion in debt in a couple years. Despite this HUGE outlay of free money - homelessness is still alive and well.
The problem of homelessness is not economic. It is mental illness. And the fix for that is quite difficult and dangerous. Do we want to give government officials the right to forcibly administer medications, which likely would mean to put people in physical restraints and/or chemical restraints?? We want to give the government the right to declare people unfit to walk among us and put them in institutions like before?
You cannot intelligently and meaningfully discuss this problem without discussing this.

Your entitled to do whatever you want with your own money and no one has a right to tell you what to do with your things. same as employees have no right to bitch to their employer about not being paid fairly when they have the freedom and right to quit and look elsewhere. However, i will say this, the best help for minorities is individual help not government help. Why? individuals can say i gave you help once and you abused it so no more, but that sentence is something the Government can't ever say. Another words no standards or accountability.

Also, individuals have helped minorities way more than Government ever has. this is a good example of why.
You're. And why do you capitalize 'government'?

It may not be our most pressing cause, but it's certainly one of our more urgent responsibilities, and one of humane duty and conscious consideration for our fellow man. We, as a society, have created a perception and attitude that those less fortunate deserve the hardships and mistreatment meted to them as a product of their own doing. We judge without full knowledge of their background and the possible tragedies they endured over time. The following story contains many truths and the realization that homelessness is a shame on us all. Yes, we could do better for our fellow man, and we should.

Please read the entire article so that you can see and understand that in the wealthiest nation on Earth, poverty and homelessness is common place, and that most of it is neglected as well as accepted. The story is well written, and paints a picture of human despair and hopelessness. It also tells of a cop that has dedicated himself to this cause, and considers it his duty and responsibility.

With all of the wasteful spending by all levels of government, there's no excuse for not addressing homelessness, and actively seeking doable workable solutions. After all, we do spend untold multi-$Millions on the care and support of illegal immigrants. Why not care for our own first?

I've always thought that I would thrive as a homeless person. I'm attracted to simplicity. I'm an avid camper and accomplished hiker. I've got hella survival skillz. I have a solar charger for my iPhone. I would get a gym membership where I could shower whenever I want. That reduces my cost of living to 3 total bills- food, phone and gym.

And, I actually might be headed that way. I like the idea of being totally off the grid, in terms of participating in social programs. I've opted out of Obamacare. I don't think I'll be collecting Social Security or Medicare if I survive to senior citizenship. That's not my bag.

In traditional Hindu society, they have what they call the 4 stages of man.
  • The First Ashrama - "Brahmacharya" or the Student Stage
  • The Second Ashrama - "Grihastha" or the Householder Stage
  • The Third Ashrama - "Vanaprastha" or the Hermit Stage
  • The Fourth Ashrama - "Sannyasa" or the Wandering Ascetic Stage
In two years after my daughter goes off to college, I'll enter the Hermit Stage. I'll sell my house and get a cabin with a loft. Eventually, I'll transition into the wandering holy man stage. It's just a different mentality, a different way of thinking, the total antithesis of what we as Americans regard as shameful.

I was a physical fitness instructor for a short time when I lived in California. I lived in the back of my pickup (with camper shell) in a parking garage under a high-class, well-known hotel. I worked as an instructor in their physical fitness facility. I had access to that gym 24/7 and used the bathroom and shower facility there for a little more than a month (until I could afford an apartment).

I wouldn't mind living in the wilderness for a short span but have camped out in the woods by myself for a week or two at a time. It gets awfully lonely really fast.

I'm 46 now.

In my 20's I lived in a teepee and a yurt for 4+ years. I lived communally with a half-dozen other people on an organic farm way out in the hills of Humboldt County by a wild and scenic river. Some of the best years of my life, and spiritually enriching. Then I got married and had a kid. That was also enriching. Now, I'm divorced and enjoying single-hood. But, I really don't like being a homeowner. I had to deal with termites over the holidays. Gotta mow the lawn, and the hedges grow like crazy. The plumbing and electrical always need attention. It's a bitch.

Life has its arc. I think the Hindus have the right idea. Accept your mortality. That's what I'm thinking, but I might change my mind in my 50's.

Most of the homeless is the fault of the LIBERAL policies with the help from the ACLU. they deemed the mentally ill cannot be held in facilities against their will. so walla, we have a bunch of homeless. another failure of liberals who believe they are HELPING PEOPLE instead they are ruining lives

I believe in charity. There are some good ones out there:

Habitat for Humanity literally builds homes for families in need.
Salvation Army literally houses many folks who've hit bottom.
Denver Rescue Mission is a local charity that's basically a microcosm of the Salvation Army but an independent charity.

Some homeless folks choose to be homeless. Some are running from the law or personal responsibility. Some seem to thrive on the negative attention they get. Many don't see a need to get a home when it's a lot easier and cheaper to take advantage of all of those free handouts.

Agreed, a lot of them choose to live that way but as you said there are a lot Charitable organizations out there to give anyone a helping hand. I also agree with Wake. we need more jobs to stay in THIS COUNTRY. This government could do something about that instead they just keep regulating them to death where they LEAVE. I don't know where it ends.
Charitable organizations out there to give anyone a helping hand

And i am sure you have them all on speed dial as you have or many years

Most of the homeless is the fault of the LIBERAL policies with the help from the ACLU. they deemed the mentally ill cannot be held in facilities against their will. so walla, we have a bunch of homeless. another failure of liberals who believe they are HELPING PEOPLE instead they are ruining lives
Steph you have been living in a trailer park and getting gov food and medical assistance even when republicans were in control

Well, for democrats...you can't get the homeless to vote.....so they don't care....

Society doesn't owe anyone shit. The nuts need to be locked up and the rest can prey on suckers or find work. Many choose to drop out and are victims only of themselves.
In my opinion, I don't think that you're looking at the big picture. It seems that you're throwing a blanket over the whole lot, and classifying "all" by the obvious truths about others. There are many different stories. Each one has their own set of circumstances and tragic situations. Remember, there are a lot of women and children homeless, including some of our Vets. Not everyone that is homeless, has created their present situation. We're quick to pass judgment without knowing each individual story. We don't know the number of homeless with psychological and physical issues that prevents them from becoming active and productive members of society.

Not all homeless are drug addicts, prostitutes, and career bums. Many are victims of the socioeconomic environment that we've created. The least we can do is to give the benefit of the doubt to those wanting to better their life, and to become active and productive members of society.
We are talking big picture...find all in need...sort out the cheaters, bluffers and irresponsible...turn those in need over to charitable private organizations...subsidize if/ as neccessary...put the others to work.

Define the problem
Identify the solution

Applies to all things

We never get it right.

We are talking big picture...find all in need...sort out the cheaters, bluffers and irresponsible...turn those in need over to charitable private organizations...subsidize if/ as neccessary...put the others to work.

Define the problem
Identify the solution

Applies to all things

We never get it right.
Yes, I agree. That would be a great starting point. It's better than anything we're doing now.

Forum List

Back