The Jobs Market Sucks

40% only by stupidly including retirees, students, disabled, stay home spouses, independently wealthy, etc. and assuming they all would work 40 hours per week when the highest the national average work week was 34.7 hours since the BLS started keeping track of that number.
Don't forget, as many as 40 million of the 93 million may also be working, according to government estimates, but not reporting income.
Where are you getting that from? Reported income has nothing to do with labor force classification.

Only idiots of the highest order claim there are 93 million not working but should be. Not to mention, those same imbeciles never include the additional 8 million who are actually unemployed and looking for work. The only know how to mindlessly parrot the talking points they are spoon fed.
I agree with you for all that
Few people who work in the shadow economy are going to reveal to the BLS that they are employed. They will be counted as either unemployed or not in the labor force.
Since confidentiality is assured, and any Census employee faces jail time for revealing personal information, and no BLS employee could identify any individual, it really isn't that many people who would lie. They're more likely to just refuse to answer the survey. There is no way the employment number could be off by 40 million.
People working under the table are already lying by not paying taxes. Folks like that are not going to tell the government they are working. And I said the number could be as high as 40 million. Certainly, it could be less. I do apologize though for saying I got that number from government estimates. That was my recollection but after finding the link for papageorgio, I see it was from an analyst. The government's estimate was $500b, or about 10 million people; based upon the average income of about $50,000.

Being paid $50,000 for an under the table job? That sounds really high I bet half that would be high.

Few people who work in the shadow economy are going to reveal to the BLS that they are employed. They will be counted as either unemployed or not in the labor force.

You are saying 40 million people are working under the table?
According to government estimates, yes.

Got a link?
$2 trillion underground economy aids recovery

No mention of 40 million workers, got another link.

I have been looking and I can't find anything that gives out a number.
It's based on the average annual income of $50,000

Don't forget, as many as 40 million of the 93 million may also be working, according to government estimates, but not reporting income.
Where are you getting that from? Reported income has nothing to do with labor force classification.

Only idiots of the highest order claim there are 93 million not working but should be. Not to mention, those same imbeciles never include the additional 8 million who are actually unemployed and looking for work. The only know how to mindlessly parrot the talking points they are spoon fed.
Since confidentiality is assured, and any Census employee faces jail time for revealing personal information, and no BLS employee could identify any individual, it really isn't that many people who would lie. They're more likely to just refuse to answer the survey. There is no way the employment number could be off by 40 million.
People working under the table are already lying by not paying taxes. Folks like that are not going to tell the government they are working. And I said the number could be as high as 40 million. Certainly, it could be less. I do apologize though for saying I got that number from government estimates. That was my recollection but after finding the link for papageorgio, I see it was from an analyst. The government's estimate was $500b, or about 10 million people; based upon the average income of about $50,000.

Being paid $50,000 for an under the table job? That sounds really high I bet half that would be high.
Then then number of people working under the table would be even higher.

Over 10% of Americans work under the table. I find that very difficult to believe.

Over 10% of Americans work under the table. I find that very difficult to believe.
The number is based on estimates and when you put it like that, I agree it does sound too high.

No, the $500 billion was the estimated TAX loss on the $2 trillion underground economy. So at $50,000 per, that is 40 million FT workers. However that $50,000 per seems high, it would mean all 40 million averaged 40 hours per week at $25 per hour. Most people I know working off the books work less hours for less money.

http://www.ssc.wisc.edu/econ/archive/wp2011-1.pdf

The new estimates of noncompliance suggest that between 18-19 percent of total reportable income is not properly reported to the IRS. The estimated $2 trillion of unreported income gives rise to an annual tax gap of $450-500 billion.

Well 18-19% of income is off the books, so the same % of workers is probably off the books as well.

http://www.ssc.wisc.edu/econ/archive/wp2011-1.pdf

The new estimates of noncompliance suggest that between 18-19 percent of total reportable income is not properly reported to the IRS. The estimated $2 trillion of unreported income gives rise to an annual tax gap of $450-500 billion.

40% only by stupidly including retirees, students, disabled, stay home spouses, independently wealthy, etc. and assuming they all would work 40 hours per week when the highest the national average work week was 34.7 hours since the BLS started keeping track of that number.

People working under the table are already lying by not paying taxes. Folks like that are not going to tell the government they are working.
Then they won't tell the government anything. They're not going to agree to a long survey about labor market activity only to lie. That makes no sense.

And I said the number could be as high as 40 million.
1/5 of all employed? No, it couldn't be.

. The government's estimate was $500b, or about 10 million people; based upon the average income of about $50,000.
You're confusing people fudging their taxes with the Labor Force statistics. You have no evidence to support your claims, and a range of 10-40 million is ridiculous.

People working under the table are already lying by not paying taxes. Folks like that are not going to tell the government they are working.
Then they won't tell the government anything. They're not going to agree to a long survey about labor market activity only to lie. That makes no sense.

. The government's estimate was $500b, or about 10 million people; based upon the average income of about $50,000.
You're confusing people fudging their taxes with the Labor Force statistics. You have no evidence to support your claims, and a range of 10-40 million is ridiculous.
Even if they don't participate in the survey, they're still unaccounted for. There is a segment of society working under the table and not counted in labor statistics.

Even if they don't participate in the survey, they're still unaccounted for. There is a segment of society working under the table and not counted in labor statistics.
ummm, no, that's not how it works. If a household doesn't respond, either their responses are imputed or the other houses are re-weighted to cover the missing house.

ummm, no, that's not how it works. If a household doesn't respond, either their responses are imputed or the other houses are re-weighted to cover the missing house.
yes statisticians are well aware of all the possible problems with their data and find ways to achieve accuracy most of the time.

The jobs market isn't going to get better by reducing spending on infrastructure, science, r&d or education.

The jobs market is bad because our educational system sucks ass and we don't make nearly enough to create more jobs. It has more to do with stupidity then anything else.

The jobs market is bad because our educational system sucks ass .

not really, business will train the workers it needs, generally speaking. Job market is bad because obvious liberal policies shipped all the jobs off shore and invited 20 million illegals in to compete for remaining jobs and bid wages down.

Do you understand now??

Just curious. How many employers have job vacancies they cannot fill because they can't find "qualified" people? I mean people who can read, write, and calculate at anywhere above a 5th grade level?

Just curious. How many employers have job vacancies they cannot fill because they can't find "qualified" people? I mean people who can read, write, and calculate at anywhere above a 5th grade level?
The Cost of Unfilled Jobs

Bloomberg Business reported job openings rose 181,000 in December to 5.03 million, the most since January of 2001.

and...unemployment is 10.5% making Barry's summer of recover the worst recovery since the Great Depression.

Lets raise corporate taxes some more and invite in 20 millin more illegals???

Bloomberg Business reported job openings rose 181,000 in December to 5.03 million, the most since January of 2001.

and...unemployment is 10.5% making Barry's summer of recover the worst recovery since the Great Depression.

Poor, demented, Crazy Eddie. He still thinks the U-6 rate is the unemployment rate even though it includes employed people. :eusa_doh:

Poor, demented, Crazy Eddie. He still thinks the U-6 rate is the unemployment rate even though it includes employed people. :eusa_doh:

dear, the u in U6 stands for unemployment. it is now 10.5%!!

See why we say a liberal will be stupid?

dear, the u in U6 stands for unemployment. it is now 10.5%!!

See why we say a liberal will be stupid?
No, it stands for UNDERutilization.

See why we say a CON$ervoFascist is a moron!

Table A-15. Alternative measures of labor underutilization

HOUSEHOLD DATA
Table A-15. Alternative measures of labor underutilization

U-6 Total unemployed, plus all persons marginally attached to the labor force, plus total employed part time for economic reasons, as a percent of the civilian labor force plus all persons marginally attached to the labor force

Forum List

Back