The lunacy of electric cars

I bought a new Honda Civic for my daughter for about $17,000. But let's go with $25,000.

So that's $25,000 less than the smallest Tesla.

A Civic gets about 30 miles per gallon, and that's being conservative.

If gas costs $4.00 a gallon, then a Tesla owner would have to drive 187,500 miles to break even. Oh, wait. They have to replace their battery for $20,000 along the way. So that's another 150,000 miles to break even. Oh, wait. That would require another battery change at $20K.

It seems that idiot Tesla owner will never catch up!
How is your "break even" defined?

Ownership costs : EV vs ICE

I bought a new Honda Civic for my daughter for about $17,000. But let's go with $25,000.

If gas costs $4.00 a gallon, then a Tesla owner would have to drive 187,500 miles to break even. Oh, wait. They have to replace their battery for $20,000 along the way. So that's another 150,000 miles to break even. Oh, wait. That would require another battery change at $20K.

#1) You haven't defined "break even."
#2) You don't have to replace the battery
#3) ICE cars have higher maintenance costs.

#1) You haven't defined "break even."
#2) You don't have to replace the battery
#3) ICE cars have higher maintenance costs.
In fact, many dealers offer free scheduled maintenance for 3 to 5 years (they just include the cost into the price). For instance, the genesis G70 costs USD $ 38000. Do you want to drive G70 or Tesla 3?

In the end, how much is the cost of oil change and tune-up?

Not if you own a Tesla. You never catch up on gas savings. Not even close.

Well, most people buy Teslas as luxury items. So I guess it really depends on what kind of gasoline powered car you're comparing it to. But I believe that Tesla now has "lower" end models too. Not that I'm shrilling for Tesla. I just think it's a little more complicated to find an apples-to-apples comparision.

Yeah. I’d consider buying one for $25k.
mandatory additions to the 25K,, install charging station in your garage 5-10K, battery replacement after 2-3 years 15-20K, higher home electricity bills for recharging $100/ month, charging costs at remote chargers ? Disposal costs or worn out batteries ?

Sorry but even at 25K it makes no economic sense.

Why are you comparing a 17k civic to a Tesla model 3? Would you compare a 17k hyundai to a Audi quattro or A4? The tesla is not a budget econo car. Although there are plans for bring a 25k model 2 to the market within the next 3 years.

I'll give you 35 mpg and $3.50 per gallon for gas. If she were to drive 25 miles a day every day for a month just doing routine driving in her city she'd indeed spend more on gas than she would plugging the car in at home, much more.

I believe more and more shops are offering tesla owners the ability to fix their battery pack for up to a few thousand. Although that's a worse case scenario where they would need to swap out fist sized modules in the battery pack. If it's just a bad cell here and there I think they can probably just remove them, without replacing anything and you'll be on your way after maybe paying less than 1k?

mandatory additions to the 25K,, install charging station in your garage 5-10K, battery replacement after 2-3 years 15-20K, higher home electricity bills for recharging $100/ month, charging costs at remote chargers ? Disposal costs or worn out batteries ?

Sorry but even at 25K it makes no economic sense.

If you need to replace the battery every 2-3 years you're covered under Tesla's 8 year warranty. I wonder what sort of built in warranty you get with an ice car that will replace your engine. A level 2 charger installation plus hardware should cost about $2500, however it supposedly costs as little as $700. I think a lot of ppl simply use their wall outlet. Did you just make up that 5-10k figure off the top of your head? If home charging costs you $100 a month, you'll probably $200+ in gas bills for the same mileage 🤷‍♂️

If you need to replace the battery every 2-3 years you're covered under Tesla's 8 year warranty. I wonder what sort of built in warranty you get with an ice car that will replace your engine. A level 2 charger installation plus hardware should cost about $2500, however it supposedly costs as little as $700. I think a lot of ppl simply use their wall outlet. Did you just make up that 5-10k figure off the top of your head? If home charging costs you $100 a month, you'll probably $200+ in gas bills for the same mileage 🤷‍♂️
you cannot plug your EV into a regular wall outlet, all the breakers would trip. If you save 200/month on gas and your power bill goes up 200/month, how are you saving anything?

and where will we dispose of millions of toxic worn out batteries? you libs never look at the total picture because liberalism is a mental disease that blocks rational thinking.

you cannot plug your EV into a regular wall outlet, all the breakers would trip. If you save 200/month on gas and your power bill goes up 200/month, how are you saving anything?

and where will we dispose of millions of toxic worn out batteries? you libs never look at the total picture because liberalism is a mental disease that blocks rational thinking.

You absolutely can plug a Tesla into a wall outlet. That's the whole point of home charging. For a power bill to be that high you'd need to be driving thousands of miles a month. I don't think ppl buy a tesla so they can be an uber driver. The environmental impact of Lithium ion batteries is not from disposal but rather from the areas where they are mined, but even then there is absolutely no comparison to fossil fuels. Furthermore there are newer methods for extraction that limit the impact to these mining areas. But if you're so concerned with lithium ion batteries why not make a vow never to use anything that takes advantage of them? Throw away your laptop, watch, phone, tablet and anything else that uses a rechargeable battery.

Yes, and the problem with conservatives is that they use emotion when basing their opinions on something rather than actual facts. This is why you thought it cost 5-10k to install a level 2 charger in a home, it's why you didn't know that tesla offers an 8 year warranty, it's why you have no idea how little it costs to charge up a battery and instead, simply made an assumption that the average person is spending $200 a month charging, it's why you thought you couldn't charge an electric car from a wall outlet. Conservatism is what blocks rational thinking.

You absolutely can plug a Tesla into a wall outlet. That's the whole point of home charging. For a power bill to be that high you'd need to be driving thousands of miles a month. I don't think ppl buy a tesla so they can be an uber driver. The environmental impact of Lithium ion batteries is not from disposal but rather from the areas where they are mined, but even then there is absolutely no comparison to fossil fuels. Furthermore there are newer methods for extraction that limit the impact to these mining areas. But if you're so concerned with lithium ion batteries why not make a vow never to use anything that takes advantage of them? Throw away your laptop, watch, phone, tablet and anything else that uses a rechargeable battery.

Yes, and the problem with conservatives is that they use emotion when basing their opinions on something rather than actual facts. This is why you thought it cost 5-10k to install a level 2 charger in a home, it's why you didn't know that tesla offers an 8 year warranty, it's why you have no idea how little it costs to charge up a battery and instead, simply made an assumption that the average person is spending $200 a month charging, it's why you thought you couldn't charge an electric car from a wall outlet. Conservatism is what blocks rational thinking.
your entire post is horseshit, I will not waste my time refuting your ignorance.

Its amazing how ignorant the EV advocates are about basic science and energy. They seem to think that an EV just runs forever without any input of any kind. If they get beyond that they think the recharging is free and doesn't require additional generating capacity. Ignorance abounds on the left, they prove it every day.
That you are ignorant of these things doesn't mean they are.

Buuuut
Speaking of lunacy and ignorance...

1648730125921.png

1648730164567.png

1648730243953.png

there isn't any free lithium to make batteries either. It is mined by children in terrible conditions, but you libs don't seem to care about that. hypocrites
Nothing like the seat shops where the Trumps have their MAGA stuff made.
Hypocrite

Japan had an off shore earthquake last week...a 7.3 shaker....it shut down their power grid in the Fukushima region for two days...and everyone with an electric car could not drive to work....
Can you imagine with democrat rolling brown outs in the west people being stuck with 60,000 dollar paper weights in their garage....
Buuuuaaaaahahahaha
I'm going to stick this gas hike in their faces and buy a new truck this weekend....
Remember last march when the ffreezes in Texas shut down the pipelines and people couldn't get gas in the mid south?
No?
Thaaaaat's right. You blamed Biden.

Forum List

Back