The lunacy of electric cars

Which is exactly why I wish the liberals would get on their high horses and pass a law to mandate removable and replaceable batteries for typical electronics. I'm getting sick of expensive computers, phones and tablets being reduced to disposable items by purposely putting in shitty batteries that will end up costing an arm and a leg to after 15 months.
If you like that, wait until they shut down the electric to your house just for posting something they don't like on THE USMB. Then you can't charge your EV, or anything else for that matter. Even better is when digital currency comes along and they lock your accounts and you can't pay your electric bill.

Isn't Globalism and Earth Worship wonderful? Almost sounds like they have the same agenda. Climate Lockdown meet Covid Lockdown.

Humans have to take a totally new look at what personal transportation means. What it really takes to get an essential job done is a lot less than the absurd extents to which a Tesla, or similar, goes. The world will certainly not get 'green' if everyone is to have an electric Escalade.
The electric equivalent of a VW Beetle might at least help.

Wow. That’s impressive and I’ve lived in Michigan for 60 winters, so I have some experience with driving in the snow.

PS. I have to say that is the first post of yours that is actually nice and informative.

Humans have to take a totally new look at what personal transportation means. What it really takes to get an essential job done is a lot less than the absurd extents to which a Tesla, or similar, goes. The world will certainly not get 'green' if everyone is to have an electric Escalade.
The electric equivalent of a VW Beetle might at least help.
I’m looking for an all electric Prevost.
2021prevostmarathonh_marathon1327082620-01.jpg

Nonsense is the claim that humans cannot affect the environment of this planet whether positively or negatively. That's an insanely ignorant statement, if not just outright dumb.
what's dumb is falling for politicians bullshit.

this planet has seen EXTREMES in environment since long before we even knew how to make fire.

but hey, if you can fix these so called problems, get to it!!!!!!!!!

what's dumb is falling for politicians bullshit.

this planet has seen EXTREMES in environment since long before we even knew how to make fire.

but hey, if you can fix these so called problems, get to it!!!!!!!!!
We should try just to see if we actually can. :)

A baseline 2022 Nissan Leaf MSRP is $31,670.

A baseline 2022 Honda Civic MSRP is $22,350.

A price difference of $9,320.

There's a reason why a Leaf costs less than a Tesla. It has serious drawbacks.

Depending on your Nissan Leaf model, Nissan guarantees 107 miles of highway driving a day without recharging the battery. But intense city street driving will make your battery lose its charge around 90 miles.

Only 107 miles! And that is only if you drive in a perfect temperature, remember.

A Nissan Leaf replacement battery pack costs anywhere from $3,500 to $6,500.

[snip]

Temperatures above 90°F affect electric car batteries without heat resistance negatively. And though Nissan’s battery placement under the Leaf’s floor ensures tolerance to pretty much everything, it still cannot handle extreme heat situations well.

Your daily mileage determines your battery’s heat tolerance; fewer than 10 miles a day will significantly improve its life span. Also, because the battery outputs heat when it’s charging,
recharging the battery midday when the sun is beating down won’t do it any good.

Okay. So as long as you drive less than 10 miles a day (WTF!?!) and don't drive your Leaf or charge it during the summer, you'll be just fine.

Are you kidding me?

Anyway.

$4 gas, 30 mpg (just to be nice). You will have to drive your Leaf 70,000 miles to break even!

Then if you are lucky enough to live in perfect weather, you can wait until 100,000 miles to shell out $3500 to $6500 for a new battery.

A Honda Civic battery is about a hundred bucks.

I bought a new Honda Civic for my daughter for about $17,000. But let's go with $25,000.

So that's $25,000 less than the smallest Tesla.

A Civic gets about 30 miles per gallon, and that's being conservative.

If gas costs $4.00 a gallon, then a Tesla owner would have to drive 187,500 miles to break even. Oh, wait. They have to replace their battery for $20,000 along the way. So that's another 150,000 miles to break even. Oh, wait. That would require another battery change at $20K.

It seems that idiot Tesla owner will never catch up!

You didn't watch the video.
I did watch the video. It says nothing about the decreased mileage you get in hot and cold weather.

Most EV drivers know that cold weather can cause range loss in electric vehicles, and that running the heater can make the loss greater. But most drivers don’t consider the effect of hot weather.

Extreme temperatures of any kind can have a detrimental effect on an EV, causing range loss, body wear and tear, and premature battery replacement.

[snip]

EVs lose power under 65 degrees, and lose it quickly under 50 degrees, however, temperatures in excess of 86 degrees also rob the vehicle of power. It’s no wonder EVs use 15% more power in the Upper Midwest and Southwest than on the California coast.

Also, the Tesla that guy in the video was driving has a base price of $63,000.

Forum List

Back