The most loved word, and also the most hated.

Redemption—the most important of all gospel truths—is at once the sweetest note in the song of Bible believers and a favorite target for the derision of Bible deniers. It offends the pride of fallen men to learn that they need to be redeemed, but it rejoices the souls of regenerate men to know their need has been graciously met.

And this is why the Gospel of Christ is so hated by many. They hate it because they refuse to admit that they are not good enough to make it to Heaven on their own. They will come up with all kinds of excuses, but the root cause is PRIDE. Always has been. Always will be.

Many will even tell you that they do not believe in God. This is not so, for the most part. Sure, there are those who have not made up their minds yet. But others have.

These unregenerate souls have rejected God, and the sacrifice that His Son made for us. These people are to be pitied above all others, because having known Christ, they have spit in His face and rejected the most precious gift ever offered. The gift of REDEMPTION.

Today is the day of Salvation.

If you are not saved, and would like to know Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior, it is very simple to do.

First, you must believe that Jesus is the Son of God, and that He died and rose from the grave to save us from our sin.

Second, you must admit that you are a sinner, and that you are unworthy to stand in the presence of God. All have sinned, and come short of the Glory of God.

Third, you must ask God, in Jesus name, to forgive you, to come into your heart and save you. And here is how you do this. The words aren't really that important. It is your intent that matters. It goes something like this.

View attachment 76409

No one pays for you sins except you, don't put your sins on a poor dead man.

Penelope and Pogo
When a rapist doesn't forgive the past, the sins and demons can be dumped on an innocent victim. Look at victims of war, from chemical weapons or terrorism, or toxic waste they didn't cause -- people pay all the time for the sins and wrongs of others.

The point of praying for redemption in Christ is to break this cycle collectively for all humanity, which no individual has the power to do on our own. It takes greater grace and power to heal the sickness that causes people to abuse, terrorize, violate and kill others because they are still carrying issues from the past and projecting these forward until they get help.

The point is the vicious cycle of sin and karma repeats and projects forward
IF WE DO NOT FORGIVE AND HEAL THE SICKNESS OF THE PAST.

Yes, our children and future generations pay, and carry the debts, if we do not correct and fix our problems.
Karma - cause and effect.
We can either live by retributive justice, like the mad rapist or terrorists who makes others pay,
or we can live by Restorative Justice which is what Christ Jesus represents and brings to establish on earth.
Through forgiveness, we receive this higher peace and justice by forgiving first and then wrongs can be righted second as a consequence.

First thing someone did, was to warn me about you. I see why now.

Because I axe questions you can't answer?

Hey, you brought it up... what, a factory recall already?
If you had been paying attention, you would have noticed that I already answered your question.

Maybe you sent it to Guno. I'm not seeing it.
Correct me, if I'm mistaken, but your question was why do people hate it? I answered that in the OP. You might want to take another look at it, assuming you read it in the first place.

I read it, and it made no sense. It's a strawman comprised of petulance and putting words in other people's mouths. Thought maybe you could support your point.

Guess not. You'd have to abandon the whole binary-thinking division thing. Can't have that.
Sorry to hear that you lack the intelligence to understand what I was getting at. I tried to dumb it down for people like you. I guess I'll have to use words of fewer syllables, or something. You might want to consider some remedial reading classes. I hear that they can really help.

Redemption—the most important of all gospel truths—is at once the sweetest note in the song of Bible believers and a favorite target for the derision of Bible deniers. It offends the pride of fallen men to learn that they need to be redeemed, but it rejoices the souls of regenerate men to know their need has been graciously met.

And this is why the Gospel of Christ is so hated by many. They hate it because they refuse to admit that they are not good enough to make it to Heaven on their own. They will come up with all kinds of excuses, but the root cause is PRIDE. Always has been. Always will be.

Many will even tell you that they do not believe in God. This is not so, for the most part. Sure, there are those who have not made up their minds yet. But others have.

These unregenerate souls have rejected God, and the sacrifice that His Son made for us. These people are to be pitied above all others, because having known Christ, they have spit in His face and rejected the most precious gift ever offered. The gift of REDEMPTION.

If you are not saved, and would like to know Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior, it is very simple to do.

First, you must believe that Jesus is the Son of God, and that He died and rose from the grave to save us from our sin.

Second, you must admit that you are a sinner, and that you are unworthy to stand in the presence of God. All have sinned, and come short of the Glory of God.

Third, you must ask God, in Jesus name, to forgive you, to come into your heart and save you. And here is how you do this. The words aren't really that important. It is your intent that matters. It goes something like this.

View attachment 76409

Penelope and Pogo
When a rapist doesn't forgive the past, the sins and demons can be dumped on an innocent victim. Look at victims of war, from chemical weapons or terrorism, or toxic waste they didn't cause -- people pay all the time for the sins and wrongs of others.

The point of praying for redemption in Christ is to break this cycle collectively for all humanity, which no individual has the power to do on our own. It takes greater grace and power to heal the sickness that causes people to abuse, terrorize, violate and kill others because they are still carrying issues from the past and projecting these forward until they get help.

Yes, our children and future generations pay, and carry the debts, if we do not correct and fix our problems.
We can either live by retributive justice, like the mad rapist or terrorists who "makes others pay," or we can live by Restorative Justice which is what Christ Jesus represents and brings to establish on earth -- ie we no longer "pay things back" but we pay benefits FORWARD to help others break the patterns of destructive abusive behavior. Through forgiveness, we receive and establish higher peace and justice by forgiving first and then wrongs, restoring healthy relations so we can work together on solutions, so the wrongs of the past can be righted second as a consequence.

Fell asleep at the second paragraph waiting for a point, but lemme sum it up for you very simply:

Version one:

Third, you must ask God, in Jesus name, to forgive you, to come into your heart and save you.

Version two:
MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY

See the difference?

Me neither.

These are the seeds of Intolerance.

Hi Pogo Let me translate into secular terms and natural laws
1. IF You continue the way of RETRIBUTION
then if you live by the sword you die by the sword
You get the justice you give.
So if you do not let go and forgive the wrongs of others,
these repeat and all humanity suffers them again and again.
We all suffer war which is hell on earth

2. IF we chose the path of Restorative Justice
which is the secular name and meaning of the spirit of Christ Jesus
THEN we forgive one another and correct wrongs together.
We bring new life and heal relations and can rebuild.

So that is the path, the choices in life.

No, you don't have to rely on Biblical/Christian terms
which I don't relate to either. I understand these in
terms of what they MEAN, and this meaning
and process is UNIVERSAL to all humanity,
both Jews/Christians/Believers under the church/scriptural laws and authority
AND the "secular Gentiles" like you and me under NATURAL laws of
reason, science and what solves problems in the REAL WORLD.

The meaning is universal, the symbolic language is relative.
We are not responsible for if we can't follow "foreign languages"
that don't make sense to us.

But the UNIVERSAL LAWS they represent,
we are responsible for as human beings who are
supposed to live in peace and by equal justice
if we are going to survive in the longrun. That part IS our responsibility
socially and collectively, which is what these religions attempt to
symbolize represent and teach using figurative language

View attachment 76409

Penelope and Pogo

We can either live by retributive justice, like the mad rapist or terrorists who makes others pay,
or we can live by Restorative Justice which is what Christ Jesus represents and brings to establish on earth.
Through forgiveness, we receive this higher peace and justice by forgiving first and then wrongs can be righted second as a consequence.

Because I axe questions you can't answer?

Hey, you brought it up... what, a factory recall already?
If you had been paying attention, you would have noticed that I already answered your question.

Correct me, if I'm mistaken, but your question was why do people hate it? I answered that in the OP. You might want to take another look at it, assuming you read it in the first place.

I read it, and it made no sense. It's a strawman comprised of petulance and putting words in other people's mouths. Thought maybe you could support your point.

Guess not. You'd have to abandon the whole binary-thinking division thing. Can't have that.
Sorry to hear that you lack the intelligence to understand what I was getting at. I tried to dumb it down for people like you. I guess I'll have to use words of fewer syllables, or something. You might want to consider some remedial reading classes. I hear that they can really help.

Dear Lutroo
Pogo is extremely intelligent, reasonable and willing to discuss in great detail.
But it helps if you both are speaking the same language.
This Biblical/Christian cultural tradition is like a "foreign tongue"
You are speaking with a secular gentile who responds to God's
"natural laws of science and reason"; it helps to explain in practical terms, not symbolic.
The Bible comes across as symbolic to people who don't follow all of that.

It isn't that Pogo is dumb, closeminded, or has ego issues
because I have seen that is not the case with Pogo.
Maybe other people, but with Pogo, generally not.

I can help you translate back and forth, between secular
explanation and Christian/Biblical equivalents of the same concept.

It is more a language/cultural barrier that shapes our whole thinking.
Our ways of understanding are more attached to words and personal/emotional
experienced associated with words, so it can take several layers of
working through in order to get what each other means by where we are coming from.

It is not "dumbing things down" to spell them out in secular terms.
It's actually quite challenging and requires much patience
and intellectual agility to translate back and forth.

Remember the Bible says that if two people are talking in tongues,
let a third interpret. I can try to help with some of that, but it is up to
you and Pogo if the equivalents and meaning are close enough,
or if the communication and concepts still aren't coming across clearly.

Do you want to give it a try, Pogo is very sharp and willing to
reason things out. At least you both are honest, and if you just
don't get what each other is saying, you'll admit that. Can we try?

Penelope and Pogo

Dear Lutroo
Pogo is extremely intelligent, reasonable and willing to discuss in great detail.
"natural laws of science and reason"; it helps to explain in practical terms, not symbolic.

working through in order to get what each other means by where we are coming from.

I don't see why any translation is necessary. Gods truths are universal. Anyone can understand what is written in Gods word. I believe that I was perfectly clear in what I said. It needs no translation. My original post is simple enough for a child to understand. I believe that Pogo's problem is the result of willful ignorance.

View attachment 76409

Penelope and Pogo

We can either live by retributive justice, like the mad rapist or terrorists who "makes others pay," or we can live by Restorative Justice which is what Christ Jesus represents and brings to establish on earth -- ie we no longer "pay things back" but we pay benefits FORWARD to help others break the patterns of destructive abusive behavior. Through forgiveness, we receive and establish higher peace and justice by forgiving first and then wrongs, restoring healthy relations so we can work together on solutions, so the wrongs of the past can be righted second as a consequence.

Fell asleep at the second paragraph waiting for a point, but lemme sum it up for you very simply:

Version one:

Third, you must ask God, in Jesus name, to forgive you, to come into your heart and save you.

Version two:
MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY

See the difference?

Me neither.

That's a lot of wind to blow away the phrases I highlighted, which was, again, "YOU MUST". That's a kind of rhetorical fascism, which is why I observe at the end, "these are the seeds of Intolerance". It begins with this binary declaration of "us and them" and "us" is right and "them" is wrong, and "our" way is the only way... "you must".

That's one level -- the verbs and the control-freakism. The inability to accept that, not to sound cliché, "there are many paths" and that someone else may just choose a different one, and that's none of his business.

Concerning his self-congratulatory exegesis on the concept of "redemption", putting words into the mouths of others he didn't bother to ask, the idea is not only a strawman but absurd on its face. For an example, America's very national pastime -- baseball -- is based around the concept. No one who appreciates the poetry of baseball "hates" the idea. It could hardly exist without it. Redemption is the flip side of forgiveness. We can't exist without them either.

That's why I posed the question on an absurd premise.

Penelope and Pogo

Dear Lutroo

Emily, sometimes you have the most beautiful heart it makes me cry. :smiliehug:
You are truly the embodiment of "Blessèd are the Peacemakers".

Damn longwinded though. :D

View attachment 76409

Let's clarify something here. Were you implying that Jesus is not the way the truth and life? Are you saying that He did not did and rise from the grave, conquering death in the process, so that we could have life? Is that what you're saying?

Dear Lutroo
Can we try to start here and translate into concepts that people might get
who aren't coming from a Christian background, perspective or understanding.
Please forgive if people don't understand, if this has never been explained
to them in a way that made sense. if someone didn't understand Einstein's
theories would you judge them for rejecting it as sounding like nonsense?

Remember that if we were to present the Gospel to someone in a way
OTHER than what they were originally given, we will be rejected even if it is
ANGELS bringing that message. We have to speak the language of the
audience we're addressing. If we are to "love our neighbors as Jesus"
then Jesus spoke with farmers using farming parables, not the Bible.
Jesus spoke with fishermen using their fishing experiences, not the Bible.

Are you okay focusing on the deep universal message and meaning of
Christ Jesus to FORGIVE one another that God may forgive us.
Matthew 6:14-6:15
14For if you forgive men their trespasses, your Heavenly Father will also forgive you.
15But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive yours.

1. Where we do have ability and will, if we choose to forgive we can correct
wrongs and heal relations so we all become united better neighbors in Christ
or by conscience.

2. Where we do not have ability to forgive, we are too hurt, or the damage is
so unforgivably wrong it exceeds our human ability to understand and forgive,
THAT'S where we call upon higher God or GRACE to intervene and forgive
correct and heal what is beyond our human ability. Or else we are doomed to suffer
if we cannot get past our anger, rage, damage and distress over wrongs done.

Do you agree this is the gift of Christ Jesus to be able to
invoke this higher level of grace and forgiveness that goes beyond human
will and ability? It is on a greater collective level, that is able to heal
people with love, so great that humans are at a loss to explain where
this love and ability comes from. So we give thanks to God and Jesus,
who represent Divine Truth, Justice and Peace that saves all humanity.

Is this close enough terms to explain the greatness of God and Jesus
in secular terms that mean real changes in real life and relationships?

View attachment 76409

Penelope and Pogo

Version one:

Version two:
MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY

See the difference?

Me neither.

That's a lot of wind to blow away the phrases I highlighted, which was, again, "YOU MUST". That's a kind of rhetorical fascism, which is why I observe at the end, "these are the seeds of Intolerance". It begins with this binary declaration of "us and them" and "us" is right and "them" is wrong, and "our" way is the only way... "you must".

That's one level -- the verbs and the control-freakism. The inability to accept that, not to sound cliché, "there are many paths" and that someone else may just choose a different one, and that's none of his business.

Concerning his self-congratulatory exegesis on the concept of "redemption", putting words into the mouths of others he didn't bother to ask, the idea is not only a strawman but absurd on its face. For an example, America's very national pastime -- baseball -- is based around the concept. No one who appreciates the poetry of baseball "hates" the idea. It could hardly exist without it. Redemption is the flip side of forgiveness. We can't exist without them either.

OK. Let's back track. Do you believe in God? By God, I mean the Creator of everything. The power that all of existence depends on? We need to find a common thread to hang any discussion on. So answer this simple yes or no question, then we can proceed.

View attachment 76409

Penelope and Pogo

Version one:

Version two:
MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY

See the difference?

Me neither.

Dear Pogo
Do you agree that people who LIVE by the practice of
imposing this on others as "YOU MUST" are then bound
by the same laws and are subject to be judged under
this authoritarian system of "YOU MUST".

But people who forgive and let people choose as long as
they accept and understand the consequences of their actions,
those people may have free choice who grant others free choice.

So again you get the justice you give.

If you say Christians MUST STOP this hypocrisy,
they can say the same of us that the nontheists
MUST STOP the false rejection on that side.

If you try to force others to change how they do things,
they turn around and try to force you or me to change.

Do you notice this behavior?

So why not let the authoritarian control types
POLICE OTHER AUTHORITARIAN CONTROL TYPES.

If they believe in coercion let them coerce each other!
Let bullies go head to head with other bullies. Fine!

But people who believe in reasoning things out
where people choose how to change or correct things
by free will, let us help each other in that way without coercion,
insult or bullying. If we don't respond to that, we shouldn't do it either.

Dear Lutroo
Can we try to start here and translate into concepts that people might get who aren't coming from a Christian background, perspective or understanding. Please forgive if people don't understand, if this has never been explained to them in a way that made sense. if someone didn't understand Einstein's theories would you judge them for rejecting it as sounding like nonsense?

Let's clarify something from the outset --- I absolutely *am* from a Chrisitan background, perspective and understanding. I was indoctrinated in it starting at age 5.

And I rejected it almost immediately. Know why?

At that age things were pretty simple..... they began with Adam and Eve as the first humans. Not knowing any better about biology and being a toddler, I accepted this. They went on to describe the snake and the apple and how God cast them out. "Too bad for them" I thought. Then they committed a fatal error. They continued, "and since then we're all born with Original Sin on our souls".

:wtf: "Whoa" even my toddler mind thought --- "I wasn't there". That's the point where I got my first clue I was dealing with irrationality.

This would develop later on of course, once I found out what the Church really stood for over the years and heard more of its irrationality. And I concluded, "this can't be it, there's gotta be more out there". And there were, many more.

Penelope and Pogo

Version one:

Version two:
MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY

See the difference?

Me neither.

OK. Let's back track. Do you believe in God? By God, I mean the Creator of everything. The power that all of existence depends on? We need to find a common thread to hang any discussion on. So answer this simple yes or no question, then we can proceed.

OK May I clarify which name or meaning of God we relate to as most important.

God as Life, forces of the universe or nature.
God as universal laws or collective truth.
God as love, as all positive energy like a unified field.
God as Creation as Nature itself.
God as Wisdom or spirit of Truth.
God's will as what is the Greatest Good possible for all humanity.

Pogo what do you believe is the ultimate driving force in life.
Is it something positive, negative or neutral/universal/both?

Lutroo Do you relate to a simpler explanation of the Trinity as
God as Divine Truth or supreme/collective knowledge/laws governing all existence
Christ Jesus as laws of justice, cause and effect
Holy Spirit as healing comfort, peace and harmony embodied in all man and nature as one through
Christ to be reconciled with God to establish the Kingdom of God or heavenly peace
And these three are ONE, they are not divided or three different things to worship
out of context with the whole which is ONE.

Penelope and Pogo

Version one:

Version two:
MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY

See the difference?

Me neither.

I've heard the argument made that goes "look at all this around you -- the sky, the trees, the birds, the stars.... isn't it obvious that some entity had to purposely create this?"

Well as a matter of fact, since you ask..... no, it isn't. Not at all.

Dear Lutroo
Can we try to start here and translate into concepts that people might get who aren't coming from a Christian background, perspective or understanding. Please forgive if people don't understand, if this has never been explained to them in a way that made sense. if someone didn't understand Einstein's theories would you judge them for rejecting it as sounding like nonsense?

Let's clarify something from the outset --- I absolutely *am* from a Chrisitan background, perspective and understanding. I was indoctrinated in it starting at age 5.

And I rejected it almost immediately. Know why?

At that age things were pretty simple..... they began with Adam and Eve as the first humans. Not knowing any better about biology and being a toddler, I accepted this. They went on to describe the snake and the apple and how God cast them out. "Too bad for them" I thought. Then they committed a fatal error. They continued, "and since then we're all born with Original Sin on our souls".

:wtf: "Whoa" even my toddler mind thought --- "I wasn't there". That's the point where I got my first clue I was dealing with irrationality.

Dear Pogo
Do you agree that all humans are biased and conditioned to favor or reject things
according to what experiences we are born into?

So if you had this influence early on and rejected it,
doesn't that show how biases happen. And this makes
us treat people as unequal. If you reject Christianity
and have a bias against it, you will not be able to
understand and love all people equally. Nobody can!

We are all biased personally by our experiences.
Do you agree this divided people and causes suffering
or the downfall of humanity by putting our selfish
interests and biases before what is perfect for all humanity?

Don't "all people fall short of the Kingdom of God"
because we are biased and not perfectly all loving
and unconditional as God's love represents.
Nobody meets that standard, do you agree we are by
our human nature selfish in order to learn and survive by
reason and experience, we are designed to carry biases from the past?

:dunno: Survival and procreation I suppose, just like all the other species. Not that complex.

It occurs to me that some people and some organizations go to great lengths to make simple things a lot more complicated than they are.

Penelope and Pogo

Version one:

Version two:
MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY

See the difference?

Me neither.

I've heard the argument made that goes "look at all this around you -- the sky, the trees, the birds, the stars.... isn't it obvious that some entity had to purposely create this?"

Well, golly gee. I guess that means that NOTHING created it. It just sprang into existence all by itself. How could I have missed it?

Penelope and Pogo

Version one:

Version two:
MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY

See the difference?

Me neither.

Well as a matter of fact..... no, it isn't.

Dear Pogo are you okay with just
equating Nature = God.

We don't have to agree what created Nature
any more than we have to agree what created God.

What is the highest level of life or truth about how the world works
that you recognize? Do you call this universal laws or
laws of Nature? What do you call this and it doesn't have to
be a creator or person.

Do you believe there is universal truth, a collective
body of all knowledge? Do you believe in a higher Justice
that all humanity answers to? What do you call the
source of Truth, Justice, Life or love in the world?

Whatever is the highest "default" level that is what
God represents. What is the absolute in your terms?

:dunno: Survival and procreation I suppose, just like all the other species. Not that complex.

It occurs to me that some people and some organizations go to great lengths to make simple things a lot more complicated than they are.

OK so you believe that life is driven by survival. That's fair Pogo

Do you agree that isn't proven but it's faith based.
Do you have faith that life is driving us to Sustainable and better means?
That the learning curve of humanity is heading toward better and better in the longrun?
(even if there are setbacks and depressions/downs in the process to get there)

Or do you have more fear that the drive to survive creates more suffering
and war from competition that humans are more destructive and will NOT survive?

Do you have more faith that life and good will prevail over harm and evil.
Or the fear will destroy us first. Is love of truth greater than fear of the unknown.
Is you faith on the side of good and justice conquering and triumphing
or do you fear that injustice is the prevailing force?

Dear Pogo
Do you agree that people who LIVE by the practice of imposing this on others as "YOU MUST" are then bound
by the same laws and are subject to be judged under this authoritarian system of "YOU MUST".

Very good question, and yes I do. It seems to me those who flagellate themselves as an inferior to some contrived imaginary Being are not only selling infidels short but selling themselves short. Authoritarian-passivism seems like a kind of masochism. And masochism baffles me.

Dear Pogo
Do you agree that all humans are biased and conditioned to favor or reject things according to what experiences we are born into?

Sure. That makes sense.

So if you had this influence early on and rejected it,
doesn't that show how biases happen. And this makes us treat people as unequal. If you reject Christianity
and have a bias against it, you will not be able to understand and love all people equally. Nobody can!

Maybe I wasn't clear. The bias in my childhood was promoting Christianism, not rejecting it. There was no such thing as rejecting it then. That was verboten. You would "go to hell". (again the old rhetorical fascism -- "you vill think ze prescribed thoughts or else -- ve haf vays") This had to be tucked away, internalized and worked out in the proverbial dead of night, like Winston Smith writing in his diary that he has the right to defy the State and declare that "two plus two equals four".

Version one:
Version two:
See the difference?

Me neither.

Well, golly gee. I guess that means that NOTHING created it. It just sprang into existence all by itself. How could I have missed it?

Exactly. You got it!

See how easy that was? Again, no need to make it more complicated than it is.

Perhaps my work here is done.
Hope so, there's a baseball game coming on soon. I have to follow which player gets his redemption this time.

Forum List

Back